搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 IB provisional result 2012
樓主: Radiomama
go

IB provisional result 2012   [複製鏈接]

61#
發表於 12-7-14 00:27 |只看該作者
回復 bobbycheung 的帖子

What do you mean "double selective" of DBS.?
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

62#
發表於 12-7-14 00:36 |只看該作者
ANChan59 發表於 12-7-14 00:27
回復 bobbycheung 的帖子

What do you mean "double selective" of DBS.?
I believe those who get admitted into DBS are top students already.  From this group of "selective" students, DBS will again screen for those who are suitable for the IB program.  That's why I call them "double selective".  I might be wrong.  If so, please correct me.

63#
發表於 12-7-14 00:44 |只看該作者
bobbycheung 發表於 12-7-14 00:36
I believe those who get admitted into DBS are top students already.  From this group of "selective"  ...
Compare with IS and ESF schools, you are right!
Thanks for your clarification. I just ensure we are on the same page .

64#
發表於 12-7-14 00:57 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 HKTHK 於 12-7-14 00:59 編輯

This thread makes an interesting read.  Not sure how to interpret all these results.  ISF results look so-so.  Not excited about it and it is not bad either.  A couple of things stood out for me though:

1)  Should one adjust for bilingual diploma?  If so, how should it be done?  The % of bilingual diploma seems to be all over the place from 78% at ISF to 3% at KGV.  [CIS was at 35% for 2011]

2)  South Island and KGV published results for 3 years back.  Interestingly, their results look so-so in 2010 (avg around 33.8 with 10% of students achieving 40+) and then things just took off to now look excellent.  Does anyone know the reasons behind these improvements?

3)  For parents like me who wants to reap the benefit of their Mandarin and English curriculum, how would you interpret the results of Chinese A1 (5.83), Chinese A2 (5.90), English A2 (5.91) for ISF?
今日佳句: 我以往也以為國際板的家長也有質素,但現在才知deal with 一些麻煩家長也不易!  

65#
發表於 12-7-14 01:12 |只看該作者
回復 bobbycheung 的帖子

Agree with most of your message but am surprised that you adjust results based on cost of tuition.  Does any ranking of universities adjust for costs?

66#
發表於 12-7-14 01:24 |只看該作者
HKTHK 發表於 12-7-14 01:12
回復 bobbycheung 的帖子

Agree with most of your message but am surprised that you adjust results ba ...
I am a C9.  I thought if you put more resources into it, the outcome would be better.  Of course, the school might have spent the money on other areas of learning not related to IB.  This I don't know.  But then if we are talking about a capital note of HK$4.5M each, we are really talking about huge sums here.

67#
發表於 12-7-14 01:34 |只看該作者
Well I cannot speak on behalf of ISF parents with kids taking IB exam. As an ISF parent with kid still too young to talk about IB exam, I honestly think the graduating class are doing fine and I am proud of them.

Sometimes all the discussions about ISF eventually convert into the same old argument -> because it's charging such a high tuition fee, it must deliver! "True bilingualism" "High IB scores" "Best university placement" ... whatever...

I find it uneasy because the above deliverables can only be achieved by the students themselves, with the schools, teachers and parents as the facilitators and enablers. Then, the real meaning of the argument becomes -> Because your parents are paying such a high tuition fee, you must deliver! "True bilingualism" "High IB scores" "Best university placement" ... whatever...

May I say ISF is just a school. As a parent I do not need to "believe" it because it is not a mystery or religion. I would never ask a school to keep their promise ... I only ask for promise from my husband ...

BTW, I am reading a book "Thinking, Fast and Slow" written by Daniel Kahneman. He talks about "priming" (pp. 55 - 56). Quote: "Living in a culture that surrounds us with reminders of money may shape our behavior and attitudes in ways that we do not know about and of which we may not be proud." It certainly gives me some insights.

點評

HKTHK  This book is one of many waiting to be read on my Kindle.  Maybe I should move it up the list, do some reading and spend less time on this forum ....  發表於 12-7-14 01:56

68#
發表於 12-7-14 01:47 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 bobbycheung 於 12-7-14 01:54 編輯
HKTHK 發表於 12-7-14 00:57
This thread makes an interesting read.  Not sure how to interpret all these results.  ISF results lo ...

1)  Not quite sure what you meant by "adjusting for bilingual diploma".  Anyway, as ISF spent a lot of time learning Chinese, I guess that's reason why 78% of its students are able to get a bilingual diploma by taking English and Chinese.  (Please correct me if I am wrong)  If you don't take Chinese, it's by no means easy to do another foreign language instead.  For example, if you look at the 2011 IB result of FIS, only 6 out of 19 students got bilingual diploma and I don't even know if they all did French.  Some of them could well be doing Chinese as well.  
2)  I think all ESF schools had their first batch of IB students graduated in 2009 (except Shatin College which started IB a few years earlier).  I guess they just get better after doing it for a few years.  
3)  Perhaps you could look at them in the light of CIS's result.  This is their result for 2011.
http://www.cis.edu.hk/admin/upload/CIS_IBDP_Grade_Distribution_2011(3).pdf

69#
發表於 12-7-14 01:54 |只看該作者
It doesn't feel right for me to judge a student's achievement on how much cost or effort was involved.  By this argument, do you think a student is better if they achieve the same score but spent less time studying?  

70#
發表於 12-7-14 02:00 |只看該作者
kfy 發表於 12-7-14 01:34
Well I cannot speak on behalf of ISF parents with kids taking IB exam. As an ISF parent with kid sti ...
I rather to have my wife asking for promise from the school than from me.

71#
發表於 12-7-14 02:39 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 bobbycheung 於 12-7-14 03:02 編輯
HKTHK 發表於 12-7-14 01:54
It doesn't feel right for me to judge a student's achievement on how much cost or effort was involve ...

Interesting.  First of all, we have got to define what we are after.  I am sure there are parents who do not put much weight on the IB result.  As tingtingting said, she wants her son to be an IB35 Renaissance man than an IB45.  It's a decision I respect.  However, for others, the IB result is important if his son wants to get into a better university and/or doing the course he wants.  If you are one of these parents, would you like your money be spent effectively on achieving this goal?  If you spend a few million dollars more, would you like the school to use these sums to employ better teachers and get better facilities etc?  If these teachers and facilities can't get you a point more than the school next door which has a lot less resources, shouldn't we ask why?  Is it too much to expect perhaps a slightly better result?  Of course, the students play a part in it as well.  But in the case of ISF and CSS, I wouldn't say the calibre of CSS students in general are higher than that of ISF.  

As to your 2nd question, if I spend all day studying but I still get the same point as another student who spends only one hour per day on it, shouldn't I ask why?  Could it be something wrong with my approach or method?  

As I said, I am commenting on the IB result alone.  For those parents who have different priorities, my comments are probably irrelvent.

By the way, does any parent know how many ISF students took English A2?

72#
發表於 12-7-14 07:31 |只看該作者
I have no further comment on IB results! BUt I must say I m putting emphasis on IB results .
Bty, may i ask all parents here how to improve or prepare your kids to get a better IB results? Any special approach? Any examination-orientated reference books recommended? Thanks again

73#
發表於 12-7-14 07:36 |只看該作者

回覆:IB provisional result 2012

There are something more than just IB results. At some schools, summer interns at Cathay Pacific, UBS and DLP are just a phone calls away, and kids grow up with successors to ...

74#
發表於 12-7-14 08:42 |只看該作者
liyinfai 發表於 12-7-14 07:31
I have no further comment on IB results! BUt I must say I m putting emphasis on IB results .
Bty, ma ...
In that case, why IB?
Try HKDSE,GCEAL,or SAT...... So many tuition centers in town.

75#
發表於 12-7-14 09:07 |只看該作者
so any tuition centre tailored made for IB?
I want to kids have good I B results awith enjoyable learning environment and also getting a good master of chinese culture as well

76#
發表於 12-7-14 10:41 |只看該作者
回復 bobbycheung 的帖子

I am just not familiar with IB results since my kids are young.  Just wanted to see if the level of difficulty is much higher if one is going for a bilingual diploma.  And if that is the case, a lower score is then warranted?
Interesting, looks like the ESF schools really improved.

I did look at CIS results already.  They gave lots of detailed breakdown.  Wish other schools would share that level of detail for comparison.

77#
發表於 12-7-14 11:23 |只看該作者
logically, if the school don't  like to release the details  of IB results, the results may not be so good

78#
發表於 12-7-14 12:05 |只看該作者
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

79#
發表於 12-7-14 12:06 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 bobbycheung 於 12-7-14 12:24 編輯
liyinfai 發表於 12-7-14 11:23
logically, if the school don't  like to release the details  of IB results, the results may not be s ...

Each school has its own policy.  Schools such as GSIS don't disclose its results to the public.  There are other schools who would put their results on the front page of their websites when they are good, but hide it somewhere when they are bad.  But in general, one thing is for sure.  If they choose to tell you about the result, you will only hear about the goodies.

80#
發表於 12-7-14 12:15 |只看該作者
That is why GSIS is always almost the best school in Hong Kong.  Keeping a low profile but working hard.  
Mighty
love you for you
自分に負けるな!!
‹ 上一主題|下一主題