用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 Very hard to choose, please help!Traditional vs Mont ...
查看: 7174|回覆: 23
go

Very hard to choose, please help!Traditional vs Montessori, TT vs Woodland, IMS [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 10-7-26 14:58 |只看該作者 |倒序瀏覽 |打印
I am very confirmed that I want to send my baby to International schools. HOwever, I am now torn between Montessori or traditional international.

1) if traditional, any comments on TT or woodland? TT is bilingual and woodland is not. I wish he can learn chinese but eventually i wish to send him to esf for primary.  I visited both TT at Braemar & woodland at HV, TT seems commercial although the campus is much better. Woodland HV is small and packed.  Any parents can comment?

2) if Montessori, I really wonder if all the claimed Montessori are good or just want to make money? Woodland? IMS? or Island Mont if i live in hK side?

I am a very confused mom. my baby is 10mths now and i wish him to start playgroup at 12 mths....

thanks if anyone can help!
   0    0    0    0

2#
發表於 10-7-26 16:49 |只看該作者
My daughter studied in IMS, I found it is a great school which you can find great teachers, great families and I notice my daughter learnt a lot in personality development as well as education.

原帖由 meowji 於 10-7-26 14:58 發表
I am very confirmed that I want to send my baby to International schools. HOwever, I am now torn between Montessori or traditional international.

1) if traditional, any comments on TT or woodland? TT ...

3#
發表於 10-7-26 17:21 |只看該作者

My son went to TT and is going ESF for kindy.  He likes TT.  I thought about sending him to Woodlands in Caines for kindy, but I chose ESF for convenience.  I personally prefer montessori, but didn't send my little one there because it was too far for him to travel.

4#
發表於 10-7-26 23:09 |只看該作者
On my own experience, IMS is the worst school.  If you want to know the details, please give me a pm.

5#
發表於 10-7-27 00:13 |只看該作者
Hi Meowji,

Most of the International Schools are running IB and ESF as well.  Montessori is not a main stream of teaching to my understanding. If you are targeted for ESF, it was said that some kindergardens have a higher chance of admission, Montessori is not one of those.  The teachers at Woodland were not impressive to me during the school tour, they were not attentive to the children.

TT has good facilities and teachers know the children personally.  Keeping the children interested in Chinese is what most of the IS parents are trying hard to do.

6#
發表於 10-7-27 06:59 |只看該作者
原帖由 lottieclee 於 10-7-26 17:21 發表

My son went to TT and is going ESF for kindy.  He likes TT.  I thought about sending him to Woodlands in Caines for kindy, but I chose ESF for convenience.  I personally prefer montessori, but didn' ...

which TT your son went to? how was it?

7#
發表於 10-7-27 12:59 |只看該作者
原帖由 meowji 於 10-7-27 06:59 發表

which TT your son went to? how was it?

He went to TT WOW in Kowloon Tong.  He is going to Abacus in September.  He has classmates going to ESF TY and WKS, as well as St. Catherine and Kentville.  I agree that the teachers know the children personally and takes the time to know the parents too.  His class teacher would call me on days he throws tantrums and asked whether there was something going on at home that they should know about.  He gets a long real well with the teachers and made tonnes of friends.  He didn't want to leave.  Luckily there are 3 other children going to Abacus, and we live close to some of his best friends so the change would not be too traumatic.

8#
發表於 10-8-1 21:26 |只看該作者
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽
簽名被屏蔽

9#
發表於 10-8-6 16:06 |只看該作者

回覆 8# reneeleung 的文章

同意!在教署網頁查看一吓,IMS並不是註冊幼稚園:cry:

10#
發表於 10-8-7 17:37 |只看該作者
hay, ICMS in Tin Hau ... just 註冊 in Jun 30, 2010.  I found this information in government website.  http://www.edb.gov.hk/index.aspx?nodeID=510&langno=2&inMode=2&scrn=574929000191

11#
發表於 10-8-7 17:39 |只看該作者
school is new and clean.. but.. so small lor.

12#
發表於 10-8-12 11:35 |只看該作者
My son studied in WOW TT in Kowloon Tong for playgroup.  My experience and observation is that their quality is just so so.  I switched my son to Woodland (Traditional stream) at Peak Pre-school this July and he has been doing great!  I saw a lot of improvements on various fronts  in him and the teachers are all very loving and caring.  My son is going to join the reception class this Sept for five half-day a week.  And the student mix there is really international, unlike that in TT.  

As for Montessori, I read the Book by Dr Maria Montessori.  The theory itself is great but the problem, as Dr Montessori also pointed out, is with the teachers.  I didn't put my son to Woodland running on Montessori mode (though it is a lot closer to my home) is I'm not confident that there are well-trained practitioners in HK.

13#
發表於 10-8-26 11:06 |只看該作者
Share my 2 cents here about Montessori schools as I am very passionate about their methodology.

My daughter has been in a "TRUE" montessori school with CERTIFIED teachers since 2y4m.  She is now 4y3m.  The changes which I witnessed in her is AMAZING. She lacked concentration, confidence and  avoided logical problems (e.g. numbers, puzzles, etc.)  She is now doing 4-digit addition and subtraction in school with montessori tools and she is learning to count with the Seguin board up to 99.  Her personality also took a positive turn.  I honestly don't believe that a "regular" school could make this transformation because all the kids learn at almost the same pace regardless of ability and interest.  Teachers, parents, and kids all know the children's ability and ranking even if the school doesn't officially provide ranking and conduct tests - a case which is not present in montessori school.  I think the reason why some parents think montessori schools don't work is simple - because in HK, we all want to take the safest route - though not necesssarily a better one.  It is hard also for us to live without a report card with GRADES!  

About Montessori schools in HK, the sad fact is that there are not many TRUE montessori schools which are well-run.  Small World is NOT a certified montessori school.  Even the principal admits that their teachers have a bit of montessori training, but are not certified.  I have to agree they are very caring, but your child will not complete the montessori casa curriculum there.  Having a set of tools doesn't make a school montessori.

I am not sure if EVERY Woodlands Montessori class has a certified teacher and if they follow the 3-hour work cycle.  I suggest you ask, but I don't think they are a pure montessori school either.  Remember - there is no trademark to the montessori name.  Anybody can slab the word "montessori" on their school.  

ICMS - except for the head teacher - seems all teachers are quite young and inexperienced.  Teacher turnover is quite high, but their teachers are certified.  So if you think ICMS is not a TRUE kindergarten and not worth the price, all I can say is that A. TRUE montessori kindys in HK are all private, so they naturally charge the fees a private kindy will charge B.  Demand for truly montessori-certified teachers outstrip supply, so montessori kindy teachers usually receive higher pay than regular kindy teachers.  In all cases, teachers are the most important part of the school IMHO.

IMS - a school which I am seriously considering transferring my daughter to because I want her to go to their primary school.  I don't know enough about their kindergarten to comment, but I have talked to a friend whose child goes there.  The school which my daughter goes to is better in teacher/student ratio at 2 certified teachers:14 students vs. IMS 2 teachers (1 certified, 2nd one may be in training or certified) to 24 students.  My daughter's school is 100% mandarin, but IMS is bilingual.

Most important thing is: ask yourself what do you want your child to get out of his/her education?  That's the key question.

[ 本帖最後由 elmostoney 於 10-8-26 11:31 編輯 ]

14#
發表於 10-8-26 13:21 |只看該作者
May I know which Montessori Sch your girl is studying now? Thanks.

原帖由 elmostoney 於 10-8-26 11:06 發表
Share my 2 cents here about Montessori schools as I am very passionate about their methodology.

My daughter has been in a "TRUE" montessori school with CERTIFIED teachers since 2y4m.  She is now 4y3m ...

15#
發表於 10-8-26 14:50 |只看該作者
www.bestconcept.net

16#
發表於 10-8-26 17:05 |只看該作者
Oh Best Concept. I applied this before and need to queue up. I hope there is availability soon.

17#
發表於 10-8-26 22:00 |只看該作者
if u value teacher quality more than nice facilities, BC will not disappoint you.

18#
發表於 10-8-27 11:24 |只看該作者
Are they moving to Kln Tong?

So your girl goes to BC in the morning or afternoon? So she goes to normal KG as well ? Or only BC?

原帖由 elmostoney 於 10-8-26 22:00 發表
if u value teacher quality more than nice facilities, BC will not disappoint you.

19#
發表於 10-8-27 22:36 |只看該作者
no, i live on HK side.  My daughter skipped K1 entirely and went only to BC.  I am a bit worried about her primary school application as BC is not considered to be a real kindy, so I have to put her in a kindy (unfortunately) in September.  She will go to BC 3 days a week (thurs ~ Sat) as well as a regular kindy.  I tell myself that at least she doesn't have to go to math and putonghua tuition like other K2 kids...

20#
發表於 10-8-30 11:50 |只看該作者
I would like to know more about BC, I PM you and ask you some questions, Please check PM. Sorry to keep on bothering you.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題