教育王國 討論區 國際學校 有無中產家庭既仔女响CIS/ HKIS度讀?
查看: 9927|回覆: 27
go

有無中產家庭既仔女响CIS/ HKIS度讀? [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 09-4-6 13:57 |只看該作者 |倒序瀏覽 |打印
D學生係咪多數好有錢呢?
如果d中產家庭既仔女响度讀, 又會唔會令佢地覺得自卑,或同同學相處有問題呢?

Pls. share your experience or view, thx!
   3    0    0    0

2#
發表於 09-4-7 10:37 |只看該作者
My son will probably start attending next term.  We are not rich.  I think parents can help the kids to resolve any problem due to family background/wealth (if it really raises an issue).  Hope I am right!

3#
發表於 09-4-7 11:40 |只看該作者
I think this is the parents who "may" feel 自卑 instead of the kids when they are so young, so if the parents won't feel that way, just help the kids to grow up in a happy environment.

4#
發表於 09-4-7 13:30 |只看該作者

回覆 # 的文章

My son is studying in GSIS, most of his schoolmates are very rich, living in The Peak, Repulse Bay, Tai Tam; many of them living in houses. He went for many play dates and parties with his schoolmates, but he never feel inferior to them. It's becos we educated him that $$ is of low priority in life. And you earn respect & friendship by your behavior and your attitude. He might feel inferior than his classmates in terms of academic or sports, but never in terms of money.

So, I think parent education is very important. Children's values in life are mostly 'inherited' by their parents.

My son always feels very "hang fook" (fortunate) as he's so loved by family, relatives, friends and God. And he is lucky to get in such a good school.

5#
發表於 09-4-7 15:15 |只看該作者
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

6#
發表於 09-4-7 21:03 |只看該作者

回覆 # 的文章

Yes, I agree with thankful. If that's a school offering quality education for your kid, and meeting your criteria of a good school, why bother with other problems that should be and can be solved by home education ?
I am below average in terms of $$ among the GSIS parents. I also feel not fitting in with the foreign culture. However, I would not 'give in' a good school for my son for those reasons.

7#
發表於 09-4-8 00:28 |只看該作者
Dear all mums:
I'm planning for my 2 kids to enter into IS.  Can someone help me on these questions:

1.  I heard that CIS's corporate debenture in secondary market is vvvv exp., >2.5m.  Does any CIS parent have their children attending CIS with personal debenture?  

2.  CIS told me that the interview for children applying for grades below primary 2 could be conducted in cantonese, english or mandarin.  I understand english communication is essential, however, is it a real case that they would take children who aren't good enough at speaking english but are able to show their potentiality.

I'm very puzzle in choosing IS as lots of them told  me all debentures are sold out so all ppl are on waitlist only.  I'm afraid this will diminish the chance for getting admitted.

many thanks in advance

daisy17772

8#
發表於 09-4-8 01:02 |只看該作者
原帖由 Ruby1219 於 09-4-7 21:03 發表
Yes, I agree with thankful. If that's a school offering quality education for your kid, and meeting your criteria of a good school, why bother with other problems that should be and can be solved by h ...

u have brought out a good point:
I always believe it is not a must to fit into foreign culture (as long as most of us are Hong Kong Chinese) (in fact, not every family achieve  that). We can still choose our favorite schools
if we "buy" the way they are running, as we are in Hong Kong and Chinese remains the majority here.

9#
發表於 09-4-8 17:25 |只看該作者
Dear all,

Thx v much for your sharing and agree with good familiy educatioin makes the difference!

Riesling

原帖由 oooray 於 09-4-8 01:02 發表

u have brought out a good point:
I always believe it is not a must to fit into foreign culture (as long as most of us are Hong Kong Chinese) (in fact, not every family achieve  that). We can still ch ...

10#
發表於 09-4-9 13:12 |只看該作者
Anyone could help?  Will appreciate very much your sharing.  thanks

Dear all mums:
I'm planning for my 2 kids to enter into IS.  Can someone help me on these questions:

1.  I heard that CIS's corporate debenture in secondary market is vvvv exp., >2.5m.  Does any CIS parent have their children attending CIS with personal debenture?  

2.  CIS told me that the interview for children applying for grades below primary 2 could be conducted in cantonese, english or mandarin.  I understand english communication is essential, however, is it a real case that they would take children who aren't good enough at speaking english but are able to show their potentiality.

I'm very puzzle in choosing IS as lots of them told  me all debentures are sold out so all ppl are on waitlist only.  I'm afraid this will diminish the chance for getting admitted.

many thanks in advance

daisy17772

11#
發表於 09-4-9 23:47 |只看該作者
For CIS, corporate debenture holders and siblings only have priority.  No guarantee for admission.

For this year's admission result up to date, corporate debenture holders got a 50% admission rate. The other pool has a <20% admission rate.  So, a lot of students are holding a personal debenture. But I don't have the ratio.  The personal debenture will only be paid after CIS confirms acceptance of the kid.

12#
發表於 09-4-10 00:34 |只看該作者
原帖由 foolish.mom 於 09-4-9 23:47 發表
For CIS, corporate debenture holders and siblings only have priority.  No guarantee for admission.

For this year's admission result up to date, corporate debenture holders got a 50% admission rate. T ...

So for ppl without corporate debenture, the competition is very keen.  

daisy17772

13#
發表於 09-4-13 05:18 |只看該作者
What about the rest of the 30%?

原帖由 foolish.mom 於 09-4-9 23:47 發表

For this year's admission result up to date, corporate debenture holders got a 50% admission rate. T ...

14#
發表於 09-4-13 09:26 |只看該作者
簽名被屏蔽

15#
發表於 09-4-13 15:44 |只看該作者

回覆 # 的文章

You are right that entering teenage our kids will be more influenced by peers than parents. But I don't think it would present challenge to my relationship with my kid just becos I don't (or don't want to) fit in with the foreign culture.

First, my kid's peers group isn't totally made up by foreigners. He still has a lot of HK friends such as his cousins and friends made in the soccer team, taekwondo class, drums class etc; outside school.

Second, I think my son is easy with both local culture and foreign culture, after 6.5 years studying in international schools.  At school and times when he is with his schoolmates, he speaks English and 'living' the foreign culture. But when he's out of school, at times  with family, relatives and local friend, he speaks Cantonese and is 'living' the Chinese (or HK) culture.

I think he's pretty flexible in this.

But you've made a very interesting and sensible point. Thank you.

Ruby

16#
發表於 09-4-13 19:26 |只看該作者
簽名被屏蔽

17#
發表於 09-4-13 22:23 |只看該作者
As a child enters teenage years and his/her social circle expands, peer influence will defintely be stronger than parents.

So that's why we need to educate our children with values that we believe are correct.

Family ties, respect to other people, drugs issues, premarital sex etc are some of things we need to help them understand. Strong peer influence is no problem when it comes to songs they listen, bag packs they like, or which soccer team they like. But when it comes to drugs, sex, they should not let their peers decide for them what they should do.

If you are not fitting in to the foreign culture and yet decided to put your child in a IS, it is possible that you will not fit in with our child in the future.

The relationship between parents and children is bi-directional. Even if parents and children speak the same language, both sides need to be willing to put in effort to keep up with a good relationship. It is the respect and love they are all willing to give.

It is too optimistic to presume that parent and child relationship would be good by avoiding international school.

18#
發表於 09-4-14 00:58 |只看該作者
簽名被屏蔽

19#
發表於 09-4-14 09:58 |只看該作者
There are many good reasons for sending children to an IS.  But hoping your children from an international high school with full Chinese moral system in the traditional or confucious sense "is" optimistic.

If the parents are in tune with western culture and value system, then there is nothing to worry about, right?

That's why I said that parents have the responsibility to teach their children the right values. Whether your child is in a local school or an internationa school, she is probably exposed to different values and parents are to tell them what the right ones are.

A lot of western families are very traditional and children are very close to parents. And at the same time a lot of local Hong Kong teens are, unfortunately, totally disconnected with their parents. Expect them to have traditional or confucious sense? I think a lot of local parents would be happy if their kids are willing to even speak with them at all.

Hollywood is not everything there are in the western world. And do not presume that all teens are like those teen stars on People Magazine.

There are different types of kids, because there are different types of parents. Some parents did not know how and did not even try to introduce the right values of life to their children. And, it appears that there are as many of this type of parents here in Hong Kong than in the western world.

There are always things to worry about. I never said it is better to put children in an IS. In fact, I am sure local schools are more suitable to some families. And that is why we have different types of schools for people to choose from. However, whichever types of school your child is attending, you should be as alert.

Parenting is not easy. That's all. I simply do not think people should drag the IS-against-local thingy in here again.

Ok. May be we should stop dragging on, and revert back to the subject matter.

[ 本帖最後由 almom 於 09-4-14 10:04 編輯 ]

20#
發表於 09-4-14 13:45 |只看該作者
簽名被屏蔽
‹ 上一主題|下一主題
返回列表
發新帖