用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 language policy at home,please share!
查看: 3844|回覆: 53
go

language policy at home,please share! [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 08-8-20 17:55 |只看該作者 |倒序瀏覽 |打印
I want my girl (4.5months)to study in international school so that me and my husband are using English to talk to her(with complete English sentence but not 半中半英). At the same time I use Putonghua to comunicate with her every Monday,Tuesday and Wednesday.The other days are in English. We let her listen to Spanish.French,Italian and German. She will soon attend different language lessons(Spanish, French). For this reason, i  know my girl will start to talk at a very late age,maybe  1.5yrs or 2yrs .
How about yours?Please share ......

[ 本帖最後由 newmama0724 於 08-8-21 22:36 編輯 ]
   1    0    0    0

2#
發表於 08-8-22 07:21 |只看該作者
six languages at the same ime at the age of 4.5months?  are you kidding? are you planning to put her in FIS and GSIS?  you don't need so many different languages even for those schools. my friend knows only cantonese before grade one but she has no difficulty in picking up all these languages you mentioned, and brilliantly too, as she growed up.

原帖由 newmama0724 於 08-8-20 17:55 發表
I want my girl (4.5months)to study in international school so that me and my husband are using English to talk to her(with complete English sentence but not 半中半英). At the same time I use Putonghua ...

[ 本帖最後由 Gisele 於 08-8-22 07:22 編輯 ]

3#
發表於 08-8-22 08:05 |只看該作者
As some schools conduct English interviews, it is necessary that the kids understand English. Therefore, I use English at home too. On the other hand, grandparents use Cantonese. I think my daughter started to talk late (at 2 yr old) but she can talk fluently in both languages now.

I put her in summer school in the US when she was three. She picked up some Spanish. Now, she is learning Mandarin and she can pronounce more accurate than I do. Therefore, I would say you don't have to expose her to too many languages at this early stage.

4#
發表於 08-8-22 11:18 |只看該作者
Agree..

my daughter can speak English + Mandarin + some Japanese +  very little French.. she starts to talk when she was 1.5yrs old.

the research said people who can hold different lanuages makes them more confidence. maybe it delay to start to talk but it's worth..

but anyway i also think u let her explore tooooo many lanuages..

原帖由 wcllks 於 08-8-22 08:05 發表
As some schools conduct English interviews, it is necessary that the kids understand English. Therefore, I use English at home too. On the other hand, grandparents use Cantonese. I think my daughter s ...
親子王國以外之連結已被刪除

5#
發表於 08-8-23 17:59 |只看該作者
認識一個日本媽咪,佢唔識中文,同老爺奶奶住(HK人),小朋友3歲人仔已懂替他們翻譯.

另一家人,老人家講普通話+鄉下話,daddy講英文,媽咪講中文.自自然然就懂4種語言.

6#
發表於 08-8-26 12:45 |只看該作者
This actually means that BB can handle so many languages at the same time, isn't it?

原帖由 EugeneMami 於 08-8-23 17:59 發表

另一家人,老人家講普通話+鄉下話,daddy講英文,媽咪講中文.自自然然就懂4種語言. ...

7#
發表於 08-8-26 12:54 |只看該作者
Thank you for leaving messages on this topic.

At first, I had the same thinking of you all, too many languages at the same time. Can my BB handle all those languages? But I know there are so many examples that BB expose to different languages at a very young age and it works. I mean the BB can learn all those languages at the end.

Like the Scandinavian, most of them expose to so many languages at the same time (Norwegian, Swedish, Finish, English, and maybe other language), that’s why they can speak so many languages. There are researches or findings indicate that BB can actually handle so many languages at the same time. And before age1, BB can differentiate the differences between languages. After that, this precious ability will disappear.

I am not an ambitious mum and I won’t want my girl to learn all those languages in the long run. English, Putonghua, Cantonese, and one other language should be enough.

The reason for letting her expose to Spanish, French, German, Italian, English, Putonghua and Cantonese is that the pronunciation of all those languages is unique. Like the French can not pronounce the letter “h”, the Japanese can not pronounce the letter “r”. The English and we can not pronounce nasal sound. The research shows that letting the BB expose to different languages at 0 age helps to build up the foundation of learning languages. The Russian are good language learners because the Russian cover a wide range of pronunciation.

My husband and I don’t want to waste my girl’s language learning ability before age 1 and want to help her to build up a good language learning foundation in the future, that’s why we choose to do this.

Now my girl is attending language lessons and many schoolmates are below age 1.This trend is getting popular.

Welcome to share your view!

[ 本帖最後由 newmama0724 於 08-8-26 14:10 編輯 ]

8#
發表於 08-8-26 15:04 |只看該作者
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

9#
發表於 08-8-26 17:18 |只看該作者
There is a whole world of difference between being exposed to a language naturally and being taught about it but without any opportunity of using it.

原帖由 EugeneMami 於 08-8-23 17:59 發表

另一家人,老人家講普通話+鄉下話,daddy講英文,媽咪講中文.自自然然就懂4種語言. ...

10#
發表於 08-8-26 22:16 |只看該作者
可能就是哩個原因,香港人o既英文無新加坡人咁好囉

原帖由 Gisele 於 08-8-26 17:18 發表
There is a whole world of difference between being exposed to a language naturally and being taught about it but without any opportunity of using it.

11#
發表於 08-11-1 21:48 |只看該作者
Can I ask how to train up my kid's Eng lang development if I can only speak Cantonese but cannot manage to comm with native Eng speaking with thim? Just let them to go to school n comm less at home using English  more 'safe'....Help

12#
發表於 08-11-2 11:06 |只看該作者
We do not have any language policy at home. I speak with my children in Cantonese and they can fully understand what I mean most of the time, although they usually reply in English. In fact, I need to encourage them to use more Cantonese at home.

I think there is no need to set up any specific language policy. I know that a lot of local Chinese parents insist on speaking only English with their children at home. In fact, this is even more popular amongst families with children studying in local elite schools (eg DGS, GHS) than those with children in international schools. This is understandable, because local schools do not have the English environment at school.

However, I think being "good at English" requires much more than what parents speaks with their children, and what language policy a school has. "Good at English" (similarly, being good at Chinese, too...) requires much more than merely fluent spoken English. You need to be able to really interact with other people that also speak in English. This means you need to know what is going on in the western world. Whether it is political issues, current news, or even pop culture. You need to know what is happening out there.

The problem with local English education is that, people mainly care the language itself (eg grammar, spelling, etc) and ignore the part that language cannot be considered alone without "culture". Many local elite school students are very good at English language as a school subject and get A at HKCEE or A level but they have not been immersed (enough) into western culture (including pop culture) and thus cannot easily take part in casual real life conversation.

This is a reason why, although most Singaporeans have the rather "strong" English accent, they are so much better when being part of a total English conversation.

Back to the situation in Hong Kong. If you really observe, you will see that most families with children in international schools do not need to apply any language policies at home. Some of the children are in fact extremely fluent in Cantonese (with no gweilo accent) and yet also extremely fluent in English.

I am probably discussing something that is slightly off topic, and slightly beyond the kindergarten time frame. But my views are still, that parents really do not need to apply any language policy at home. Even for a 100% local born child, the time he spend at school (an international school) should be enough for him to build up his English. Education at international schools should provide enough immersion into English, including the culture in the English speaking world in additional to formal language arts/skills (ie grammar, spelling, etc).

I am sure some other people would have different views and would adopt different approaches. I guess each family need to work out something that work best for them.

13#
發表於 08-11-2 15:14 |只看該作者
I agree with almon that it's an individual choice that each family has to make based on what would work the best for them.

My son is a late talker and we decided to stick to just one language to let him advance in at least one language so that he can communicate with people. We picked English although I am a native Mandarin speaker and my husband is a native Cantonese speaker. We knew we want to put him in the ESF system, and we have a Filipino helper at home, so speaking to him in just English seemed to be the most sensible thing to do. Although in my heart, I really really want my son to speak to me in Mandarin.

I know lots of parents in HK would like their kid to be multi-lingual, who wouldn't? Being able to speak so many languages at a tender age seems like a blessing to me and if your kid is fortunate enough and capable to do so, by all means do it!.

However, you also need to make sure that you are a very good language model in the language that you want your kid to learn. Also, you need to know if your kid is up to it. As for me, I am going to start talking to my son in Mandarin after I feel that his ability in English is solid and I hope it won't take to long. Wish me luck and I wish you the best if you too want to bring up a multi-lingual kid. Not an easy job, I am sure.

原帖由 almom 於 08-11-2 11:06 發表
We do not have any language policy at home. I speak with my children in Cantonese and they can fully understand what I mean most of the time, although they usually reply in English. In fact, I need to ...

14#
發表於 08-11-2 18:57 |只看該作者

15#
發表於 08-11-3 12:25 |只看該作者
原帖由 wisekid2007 於 08-11-2 18:57 發表
The one and only one language policy suitable or applicable for all types of situations or kids is to use your own native language to communicate with your own kids otherwise:

-  You are hindering th ...

My boy just turned 1. Cantonese is our main language at home.  But if I want to enrol my boy into an IS, he definetely needs to be able to communicate in English.  So what I am doing now, is to show him a lot of English books / flash cards, etc. and also joining some English playgroups.   I am quite confused and really don't know what is the best approach.  Any suggestion?

16#
發表於 08-11-3 14:14 |只看該作者

17#
發表於 08-11-3 15:14 |只看該作者
原帖由 wisekid2007 於 08-11-3 14:14 發表
Don't worry, my boy had been studying in a local Chinese kinder for K1 and K2.

If you want your boy to have a better chance when applying IS primary, you may just put him at a Real international kind ...

Thanks for you advice.  But what is meant by REAL International Kinder?  Do you think Victoria falls into this cat.

18#
發表於 08-11-3 15:53 |只看該作者

19#
發表於 08-11-3 18:11 |只看該作者
原帖由 wisekid2007 於 08-11-3 15:53 發表
Surely Not!

In the past, only 50% of the graduates from the International Section of Victoria Kinder could pass the ESF primary 1 assessement when they got the chance to have the interview.

Oh really?! I am living on the HK island, what about Woodland, Sunshine House, Tutor Time? And what else?

20#
發表於 08-11-3 19:48 |只看該作者
原帖由 wisekid2007 於 08-11-3 15:53 發表
Surely Not!

In the past, only 50% of the graduates from the International Section of Victoria Kinder could pass the ESF primary 1 assessement when they got the chance to have the interview.

so can you name some famous international kinders for reference (In your opinion) ?
‹ 上一主題|下一主題