密      碼:
搜索
樓主: bodadami
go

P K C [複製鏈接]

41#
發表於 08-3-10 13:38 |只看該作者
Hi fcdhsbc,

其實同步阅讀不需要用普通話讀的。像課外書一樣看便可。看多了,作文自然会用上。可以輕鬆点,不要像做家課。 (在家長義工会有家長问,所以有個老師這样答。) 所以我照做。 so far so good.

至於家課,你一定沒有小孩在傳統学校讀 (我有慘痛經驗)。其實培僑家課真的不算多了。

原文章由 lfcdhsbc 於 08-3-7 13:57 發表

Illusion is one thing. Confusion is another.
I agree with the other parent who says "漢語拼音可能和英文Phonics混淆"

比如說, 孩子學了 "去" 字的漢語拼音是 "qu" 的去聲, 他看英文字 "quiet" 的時候就猶豫 ...

42#
發表於 08-3-10 17:39 |只看該作者
原文章由 mummom 於 08-3-10 13:38 發表
Hi fcdhsbc,

其實同步阅讀不需要用普通話讀的。像課外書一樣看便可。看多了,作文自然会用上。可以輕鬆点,不要像做家課。 (在家長義工会有家長问,所以有個老師這样答。) 所以我照做。 so far so good.

至於家課,你一定 ...

Agreed with you on the homework ... comparatively it's a lot less and the freedom is greater.  We still need to spend around 2 hours each day to do them, especially my son is a slow worker!

43#
發表於 08-3-10 19:59 |只看該作者
Hi fcdhsbc,

至於家課,你一定 ...

May join you guys in discussion?
I can't help thinking that "同步阅讀不需要用普通話讀" is a standard and the only answer possibly given by teachers.

No one expects parents to be good at PTH and able to help their kids at home. I would say over 90% of the parents are not good at PTH, how could they teach their kids?

I have known a parent hiring a private PTH tutor for helping his kid in Chinese homework.

I am not saying that this is a way to be adopted by parents. But I do agree that it is hard for kids nowdays, even for the supposedly "no homework PKC".

I do remember Dr. Law said one time in public that the school did ot expect parents to teach their kids English or PTH, especially when the parents are not native speakers. But how could the kids catch up?

44#
發表於 08-3-10 20:04 |只看該作者
原文章由 iamgiuliano 於 08-3-10 19:59 發表

May join you guys in discussion?
I can't help thinking that "同步阅讀不需要用普通話讀" is a standard and the only answer possibly given by teachers.

No one expects parents to be good at PTH and ab ...

Yeah I also wonder that.  My kid can more or less guess 50% of the words and he invents the rest.  We have a little dictionary to show how to say the words in Pinyin....so we combined effort can say 90% of the words or more.  But if I do not know any of these "tricks" it will be hard, or just demotivating for the kids to read on their own.  Any other parents can share how they're doing this?

45#
發表於 08-3-10 20:06 |只看該作者
原文章由 hjm 於 08-3-10 17:39 發表

Agreed with you on the homework ... comparatively it's a lot less and the freedom is greater.  We still need to spend around 2 hours each day to do them, especially my son is a slow worker! ...

Our kid takes about one hour every day for the homework, but it is not at all easy.  

He really improves a lot in the first term.  I don't know whether it is because of the homework or becuase of the writing exercise at school.

In passing, one thing I don't like about the book (level 1) for Grade 1 students to read. It was written in baby language. For example, something like "He goes up, up, up."  Same way I don't like people talking to bigger kid to "飲水水".

Well, nothing is perfect. Let's learn how live with it.

46#
發表於 08-3-10 20:18 |只看該作者
One hour is not bad at all!  But that will include My Day Book, Chinese sentence, one Maths problem, Chinese copy book, sometimes My Sound Book, now Reading Scheme (which they divide into 6 levels according to my son), every now and then revision for dictation, Maths exercise book, sometimes Chinese words on copy book, etc.  So it can become 4-5 pieces of homework each day...Oh, the English project is coming too!

47#
發表於 08-3-10 20:19 |只看該作者
原文章由 hjm 於 08-3-10 20:04 發表

Yeah I also wonder that.  My kid can more or less guess 50% of the words and he invents the rest.  We have a little dictionary to show how to say the words in Pinyin....so we combined effort can say ...

There are practical problems in teaching PTH by parents. You are smart enough to know how to do the HanYuePinYin.  But that doesn't solve all the problems. It is not easy to be familiar with the 語調, 語感, 變調...

For instance, "每日一句" 中的 "一" 的發音就和 "一個人" 中的 "一" 不同.  I can never be sure to pronounce a PTH sentence with confidence.

Different vocabulary or language structure is another big problem. "我在班房做功課" should better be written as "我在課室寫作業".  I can never be sure.

All these things are easier said than done.  But if we don't spot the problem, it woudl be easier. If we don't face the problem after knowing it, it would also be easy.

But if we realize the problem and at the same time realize how helpless we are, then ... ah!!!

48#
發表於 08-3-10 20:31 |只看該作者
原文章由 hjm 於 08-3-10 20:18 發表
One hour is not bad at all!  But that will include My Day Book, Chinese sentence, one Maths problem, Chinese copy book, sometimes My Sound Book, now Reading Scheme (which they divide into 6 levels according to my son), every now and then revision for dictation, Maths exercise book, sometimes Chinese words on copy book, etc.  So it can become 4-5 pieces of homework each day...Oh, the English project is coming too!

You are absolutely right!
Let me tell you why it is one hour.
My Day Book:    my kid writes very big letters.
Maths problem:   I skip that because I don't think that is helpful.
My sound book:    I skip that because I don't think that is useful.
Reading scheme:    when I think the book is silly, I ask him to skip it (I read him some other better books instead)
Dictation:    I ask my kid to copy it once each day, and make it clear that failing the dictation is not important so long as the daily practice is done.
Weekly Math:     Lucky that my kid is good at that so it can be finished in 30 minutes.
Copying work:    My kid does that during the breaks at school.
Chinese Sentence: That is a good exercise, though not easy I agree.
Sometimes 童話童真:     I type out the Chinese passage myself and let my kid copy.
English project:   I practically plan and do project and teach the presentation skills only.

[ 本文章最後由 iamgiuliano 於 08-3-10 20:33 編輯 ]

49#
發表於 08-3-11 07:25 |只看該作者
功課真的一天比一天多, 要認真去完成, 的確很花時間, 如不偷工減料, 每天兩個小時是差不多的. (偷工減料也沒問題, 孩子的適應才是最重要, 對不對?  真的迫得孩子不想讀書就不好了.)

我想功課越來越多是家長的要求和老師的行動回應.

[ 本文章最後由 bodadami 於 08-4-1 09:23 編輯 ]

50#
發表於 08-3-11 14:53 |只看該作者
原文章由 iamgiuliano 於 08-3-10 20:19 發表
There are practical problems in teaching PTH by parents. You are smart enough to know how to do the HanYuePinYin.  But that doesn't solve all the problems. It is not easy to be familiar with the 語調, 語感, 變調...

You are right.  It is not just the pronounciation. There are habits and cultural differences. Let's see this example:

幾個北京人在香港一家酒樓的包間點菜,點完叫服務小姐把點過的菜名報一遍,於是一位哥們兒說:“小姐,報報。
小姐看了他一眼,没動靜。
“小姐,報一下!”這哥們兒有點兒急了。
小姐臉漲得通紅,還是没動靜。
“怎麼着?讓你報一下沒聽見?”哥們兒真急了。
一位女同志立刻打圓場:“小姐,你就趕緊挨個兒報一下吧,啊。
小姐猶豫,問:“那,那……就抱女的,不抱男的行嗎?”

51#
發表於 08-3-12 08:57 |只看該作者
Hi lfcdhsbc,

至於家課,你一定 ...

雖說同步阅讀不需要用普通話讀, 我總覺如果能用普通話讀會更好, 但對一般普通話不太好的家長, 這難比登天.

能不能要求老師或普通話比較好的家長甚至學生, 把同步阅讀錄製成wav或mp3檔案在eClass供人下載, 好讓學生在茫無頭緒之際也能得到一些扶持.

這方面, 家教會能幫上忙嗎?

52#
發表於 08-3-12 16:46 |只看該作者
Though my son will not be a Pui Kiu boy till this Sept, I believe it is the responsibility of the school to make this PTH homework work.  They can't rely on the parents to get it executed when most of the parents (and in fact most of the hong kong people) are poor in PTH.

原文章由 lfcdhsbc 於 08-3-12 08:57 發表

雖說同步阅讀不需要用普通話讀, 我總覺如果能用普通話讀會更好, 但對一般普通話不太好的家長, 這難比登天.

能不能要求老師或普通話比較好的家長甚至學生, 把同步阅讀錄製成wav或mp3檔案在eClass供人下載, 好讓學 ...

53#
發表於 08-3-12 18:19 |只看該作者
原文章由 carsondaddy 於 08-3-12 16:46 發表
Though my son will not be a Pui Kiu boy till this Sept, I believe it is the responsibility of the school to make this PTH homework work.  They can't rely on the parents to get it executed when most of ...

Couldn't agree with your more.  But when teachers are telling parents that it is all right to read in Cantonese, then it appears that it is not the school policy to provide that kind of help for parents at home.

I mentioned PTA simply because I think that they could do something.

54#
發表於 08-3-13 01:29 |只看該作者
Will parents then consider getting private lessons on PTH for the kids?  I really don't know....I thought having PTH to teach Chinese is a best way (compared to Cantonese)...I'm actually seeing some big progress of my son but without comparison I really don't know if he's good or ok or behind.

Now I understand how the one-hour can be wisely used!  I'm more a perfectionalism person so I do make my son do all the work.  He does not resist actually he likes doing his homework only there is so much and he is so slow.

55#
發表於 08-3-13 07:48 |只看該作者
原文章由 hjm 於 08-3-13 01:29 發表
Will parents then consider getting private lessons on PTH for the kids?  I really don't know....I thought having PTH to teach Chinese is a best way (compared to Cantonese)...I'm actually seeing some big progress of my son but without comparison I really don't know if he's good or ok or behind...

I happen to know one kid (who is a good friend of my kid in the kindergarten) being able to read an English story book without no pictures when he was 5 year old.  Now he is seven and reading Harry Potter, which I myself find difficulty in reading.

Don't ever try to compare your kid with others.

I have heard over the radio the interview of a doctorate language expert, who said that a Grade 2 student could be as good as Grade 12 in language, though you seldom found a Grade 2 student as good as a Grade 12 student in other areas like (maths or science).

As a parent, I try to do what is appropriate for the kids and let them get some satisfaction out of homework or other work / games.

I do what I can do and let go what I cannot. Comparison only creates frustration.

56#
發表於 08-3-13 09:31 |只看該作者
Yes, exactly, don't compare the ability of the children, sometimes you will be surprised what they have done !  For the Chinese reading, I think, don't take it too serious, in fact, they have to learn "Cantonese" pronounication as well.. As long as the kid show interest on it, should be fine... for my boy, actually, sometime it is him 'teach' me how to pronoun.. for the difficult word that we don't know how to pronoun, we will 'guess' and this is the fun part of doing this homework too.

It is truth that more and more homework that needed to be addressed and discuss with PTA or class teacher.  For myself, I just 'hate' the chinese dictation but to be honest, my kid learn a lot chinese writing skill from this, so, let's keep an eye on it and extend our help to the children when they need us instead of asking them to finish all the work with 0 defect.

原文章由 iamgiuliano 於 08-3-13 07:48 發表

I happen to know one kid (who is a good friend of my kid in the kindergarten) being able to read an English story book without no pictures when he was 5 year old.  Now he is seven and reading Harry  ...

57#
發表於 08-3-13 23:00 |只看該作者
Agreed....even comparison between siblings is not encouraged...but natural human beings, it's just hard to NOT compare...Sometimes it's also necessary to at least know the standard.

When my elder son was little, we found his concentration was very short.  The teacher also realized that but at that age they all said it was fine.  We took that comment and continued to think he was OK until one day we found he was 7 or 8 years old and still couldn't concentrate for 5 mins.  Compared to kids at that age his span WAS very short.  Anyway, while he had this problem he also read Harry Potter before reaching age of 7.

My 2nd son who is now in PK if we compare, his reading skill is 10 times below his brother's.  But we know that's fine, as he is learning to read with a normal pace and is progressing (again slowly) as time goes by on speed and knowing more words etc.  So some sort of comparison to know the general standard is useful to assess if the kid is falling behind.

By the way I think the Chinese Dictation isn't too bad.  Firstly my son enjoys learning these words (especially the section where you can name as many as fruits or last time as many words with "mu" as possible, etc.) and it looks like it's only once a month(once a month is acceptable but anything more than that will be considered my me too much!!).  Do they have ENglish Dictation at all?

58#
發表於 08-3-14 09:34 |只看該作者
原文章由 hjm 於 08-3-13 23:00 發表
Agreed....even comparison between siblings is not encouraged...but natural human beings, it's just hard to NOT compare...Sometimes it's also necessary to at least know the standard.
When my elder son ...

I am no expert on education, but I think nobody is.

What you are sharing shows exactly why we don't need to compare between kids.  One can excel in one field and never learn in another. The baby who can walk at 8 months is fascinating while another who can only walk at 15 months is creating a lot of stress for the parents.  However, we can never tell which one can run faster when they grow up.

The kid I talked about reading Harry Potter at 7 is still playing with puddles of dirty water at the street, hitting his brother all the time, grabbing other people's toys anytime he likes, picking up the sandwich for eating after he dropped it accidentally on the ground.  Are his parents not teaching? They have been spending great effort in teaching, but nothing seems to improve. He can never say hello or thank you unless urged. He can hardly concentrate but he has a great memory.

My kid's reading skill is 10 times below this his friend. But what do I care? To me, there is no general standard. If there were one such standard, it would only create frustration instead of help.

Let's try to look at what the kid is good at instead of trying to find out what the kid is falling behind.

Yes, Chinese Dictation is fine for me too.  In fact, homework is fine, to the extent that my kid doesn't hate it. Do they have English Dictation at all? I don't ask, though I know that they have phonics games at class.

I think most schools are actually [揠苗助長]. Most people would disagree, but I always feel learning is a process like [行雲流水, 任意所之].  We can only arouse the kids' interest, but don't always get what we want, 總得隨緣, 順其自然, 行乎其不得不行, 止乎其不得不止.

[ 本文章最後由 iamgiuliano 於 08-3-14 09:37 編輯 ]

59#
發表於 08-3-14 11:21 |只看該作者
I think the really good things I learn from our discussion here is there are a lot  of quality parents of the students in PuiKui..

I totally agreed learning is just like Marathon... as a parent, give the support to the children and let them learn with fun, and this is the key to success.  For the homework, dictation, assignment etc the key is we should let the children to DO it by themselves with our limited help... learning process is more important than the result, I do trust.  Don't give them too much pressure but of course, they have to take their own responsibility.  It is not easy but as such a quality parent, I think we could all handle that. cheers.. let's keep in touch.

原文章由 iamgiuliano 於 08-3-14 09:34 發表

I am no expert on education, but I think nobody is.

What you are sharing shows exactly why we don't need to compare between kids.  One can excel in one field and never learn in another. The baby wh ...

60#
發表於 08-3-14 14:20 |只看該作者
Hi all of you,

I totally agreed.  Let's keep it up!
Cheers!

For your info, there will be spelling quiz (from spelling list) about once per 2 weeks in higher grade, but they are not difficient and all the words relate to one another, quite interesting!  The spelling quiz is not that formal, quite relax, no pressure.

原文章由 natelie 於 08-3-14 11:21 發表
I think the really good things I learn from our discussion here is there are a lot  of quality parents of the students in PuiKui..

I totally agreed learning is just like Marathon... as a parent, giv ...
‹ 上一主題|下一主題