發表於 06-3-18 12:58 |只看該作者
Re: Ability to Read

[ 本帖最後由 CherylMum 於 09-11-16 08:58 編輯 ]

43#
發表於 06-3-18 23:18 |只看該作者

Dear CherylMum and warrren,

Thanks for you advice!

I have read a bit of the articles about letterland now.  I am not oppose to it as I agree that Parents are the more important element.  So if we talk more like story about the characters in the letterland, kids may remember them as "characters" rather than by their look.  So rather that investing in the storybooks, I will invest my time now to understand the characters and the phonics elements first.  I also think that a mix approach is quite good. i.e. to teach phonics, but not only phonics, and at the same time read and read more books to kids.  

Thanks
:wink:

44#
發表於 06-3-19 13:15 |只看該作者

[ 本帖最後由 CherylMum 於 09-11-16 08:58 編輯 ]

45#
發表於 06-3-20 12:22 |只看該作者

Warrren,

My 3-year-old child loves reading and I just check out the books from the library and read with her every night.  I don't follow a reading scheme or anything and I just check out the books randomly.  Since you have attended Frankenstein's workshop, would you mind sharing her book recommendations for children?  I very much would like to meet her but I won't be able to make it in early April.  If you find it inappropriate to share it here, please reply by PM.  Any advice from other parents?  Many thanks.

46#
發表於 06-3-21 16:22 |只看該作者

Dear CherylMum,

May I know more about your previous discussion on "dolch" sight words.  Did you show your daughter only the words like the G Doman flashcard without explaining anything?  Sometimes, for Chinese and for English nouns sound OK for me.  But when coming to English verbs, how did you show words like go, went, gone etc.  Did you ever explain to your kid, such as when she came across them in books and yet they are still in kinders "too young"  (or this is only my wrong preception??) to understand about tenses?

Besides, are there any differences between Oxford Storytree books (which I saw them selling in big bookstore that come with CD and mentioned by you) and Oxford Reading tree books mentioned by warrren?  Are there differences in content?  Are they seperate sets of books??

Thanks   

47#
發表於 06-3-21 17:24 |只看該作者

[ 本帖最後由 CherylMum 於 09-11-16 08:59 編輯 ]

48#
發表於 06-3-21 17:39 |只看該作者

CherylMum,

What language do you speak to your daugthers?
How do you teach Chinese to your daugthers?

I am struggling if I should teach some Chinese words to my son, but he is learning Putonghua in school, I am afraid will confuse him if I use Cantonese to teach him words.  I also don't know whether to teach him simp. Chinese or trad. Chinese.

49#
發表於 06-3-21 18:58 |只看該作者

[ 本帖最後由 CherylMum 於 09-11-16 08:59 編輯 ]

50#
發表於 06-3-22 11:18 |只看該作者

Dear Sandrine,

I no longer have the Frankenstein's books list but can, off hand, name a few on her list: The girl with 500 middle names, The firework maker's daughter and El Chino.  You may go to the website of HK Int. School and take a look of their recommended reading lists (it is hidden somewhere in the library section).  I understand that they have incorporated some of the books recommended by Frankenstein into their reading lists.  BTW, the library section of the HKIS's website is very well designed, and contain tons of useful information.  It's worth a visit.  

I also like this list: http://www.charactercounts.org/booklist1.htm

For younger kids, you may try the Berenstein Bears, Little Miss and Little Mr, Oxford Reading Tree, Math Start and so forth.  The Math Start are not like other math guidebooks.  They are excellent storybooks for kids in Kinder and lower primary.  For older kids, I will recommend almost anything by Shel Silverstein and Roald Dahl.  If your kid is also learning a musical instrument, don't miss the books by Margaret Keith (go to www.swstrings.com and search for Margaret Keith).  They may look a bit out of fashion, but they are VERY GOOD.  I have recommended them to a number of parents and everybody loves them.

I should add that I am not saying that one should follow these lists as if they were bible.  It is the passion for books that counts, not numbers.  All that you need to do is to make reading time an enjoyable moment in the evening.

Happy reading,
warrrren

51#
發表於 06-3-22 16:18 |只看該作者

warrrren,

May I know the publisher of Math Start? Do you have the exact book name of this series? Thank you!

52#
發表於 06-3-23 15:32 |只看該作者

Warrrren,

見你出現,一口氣讀曬你剛post之文章,過癮!

我阿二己讀完Roald Dahl之一系列圖書,他天性懶惰,讀書是為我讀,吃飯是為我吃,我份人十分公道,既然阿二為我讀書,那我就应該為他找一些好書,最近忙,少到圖書館,你有冇一的心水之書單,適合小三四之小朋友看的,和Roald Dahl咁上下深淺,既有趣又不厚,最好有一两張插圖。感激不盡。

53#
發表於 06-3-23 15:48 |只看該作者

CherlMum/Warrren, thanks for sharing       

54#
發表於 06-3-23 17:10 |只看該作者

Hi richsmart,

There are many titles in the Math Start series.  Do an Amazon search and you will get some ideas.  Don't forget to look for used items from the Amazon-linked book dealers.  I got a set of grade 3 from a 2nd hand books dealer at a good price.  You may also consider forming a reading club with other parents so that you can share the cost with others.

warrrren

55#
發表於 06-3-23 17:12 |只看該作者

Dear Judy,

Long time no see.  You may have a look of HKIS's reading lists: http://dragonnet.hkis.edu.hk/up/Accents/library/reading.htm
Your 阿二 is a girl, right?  Many girls love the Anne of Green Gables series the Babysitters club series.  I guess your girl will love them too.  Other books that I can think of at the moment include The Courage of Sarah Noble and Charlotte's web.  You should be able to find these books (and those on HKIS's lists) from public library.

Regards,
warrrren

56#
發表於 06-3-23 17:41 |只看該作者

warrrren,

多謝曬。

Judy

57#
發表於 06-3-23 21:11 |只看該作者

warrrren,

I searched it already and thank you so much. You are so helpful.

58#
發表於 06-3-24 09:55 |只看該作者

Hi all,

My son loves the "Captain Underpants" series very much. He's not very into reading, but only likes to read "silly" stuffs. I gave him the "Junie B Jones" or some adventures stories, or some famous people's stories, he does not like them much.

Does anyone has recommendations on books similar to Captain Underpants ? My son has finished all Captain Underpants books and always asks me for 'another' silly book series.

Thanks in advance.

Ruby

59#
發表於 06-3-25 09:50 |只看該作者

CherylMum

Thanks for your sharing.  You are very nice

My son is 2 years old now, do you think it is time to teach him phonics?  He could speak three languages, Cantonese, Mandarin and Chinese.  He always speaks three languages in one sentence.  His English is not particularly good.   What kind of materials you recommend?  I dont know phonics, do you think I should learn first before teaching him?  

60#
發表於 06-3-25 10:11 |只看該作者

[ 本帖最後由 CherylMum 於 09-11-16 09:00 編輯 ]
‹ 上一主題|下一主題