sks222 發表於 12-7-12 23:28
RC 和 ISF 拿 bilingual diploma 的百分北很高
其實拿bilingual diploma 重要嗎?
聽說Chinese a 拿5分的, ...

IB website says:-

At present, a bilingual diploma can be awarded to a student who:

• studies two group 1 literature A1 courses in two different languages

• takes a group 3 or 4 subject in a different language

• writes their extended essay in a different language.

http://www.ibo.org/diploma/development/

(We should note that changes will be made next year)

Anyway, I think most of bilingual diploma holders in HK would be students who studies two group 1 literature A1 courses in two different languages.  Furthermore, I think the vast majority of these students would be taking English and Chinese as the 2 languages.

If we ask how valuable or important a bilingual diploma is, perhaps we should take into account where the student is from and which 2 languages he takes.  For example, if a Chinese student in HK gets a bilingual diploma as a result of him doing English and Chinese, then I think his bilingual diploma would not carry as much weight as if his 2 languages had been English and French or some other foreign language.  I guess the same principle applies to a Japanese student from Japan who gets a bilingual diploma as a result of him doing English and Japanese.

2#
發表於 12-7-13 22:02 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 bobbycheung 於 12-7-13 22:14 編輯

I might be the odd man out, but I expect more from ISF.

Let's compare the IB results of the 3 schools that did IB for the 1st time.

ISF                DBS             CSS

Number of           23                 33                58
Students

Average              32.8              38                32
Score

40 points             17.4%          33.3%          8.6%
or more

The gap between the results of ISF and DBS are huge, but one may say it's unfair to compare them because DBS' IB students are "double selective".  

Comparing the results of ISF and CSS might be more meangful.  Their average scores are about the same.  ISF has 17.4% (4 students) of its students getting 40 points or above while CSS only has 8.6% (5 students) getting it.  As we are taking about a relatively small number of students in each group, the difference in result between the 2 groups doesn't appear to be that big.  However, we must not forget that the school fee of ISF is $160K (excluding the capital levy and capital note etc) while CSS's school fee is only $82K.  If we are to take into account the finance resources put in by each school, I think it's fair to say that parents of ISF should be entitled to expect more from the school.  

3#
發表於 12-7-14 00:19 |顯示全部帖子
ANChan59 發表於 12-7-13 23:31
回復 bobbycheung 的帖子

We need to be patience for new schools and new programs....
I agree.  But in practice, if your kid is one of those who are taking the IB exam this year, it would be very difficult to remain patient as any significant improvement in a few years' time will not really benefit your kid.   Anyway, I am just commenting on the IB result alone.  As tingtingting rightly pointed out, there could very well be other benefits in studying in ISF that are not yet reflected in the IB results and which are valued by the parents more than anything else.   

點評

poonseelai  agree  發表於 12-7-14 00:22

4#
發表於 12-7-14 00:36 |顯示全部帖子
ANChan59 發表於 12-7-14 00:27
回復 bobbycheung 的帖子

What do you mean "double selective" of DBS.?
I believe those who get admitted into DBS are top students already.  From this group of "selective" students, DBS will again screen for those who are suitable for the IB program.  That's why I call them "double selective".  I might be wrong.  If so, please correct me.

5#
發表於 12-7-14 01:24 |顯示全部帖子
HKTHK 發表於 12-7-14 01:12
回復 bobbycheung 的帖子

Agree with most of your message but am surprised that you adjust results ba ...
I am a C9.  I thought if you put more resources into it, the outcome would be better.  Of course, the school might have spent the money on other areas of learning not related to IB.  This I don't know.  But then if we are talking about a capital note of HK$4.5M each, we are really talking about huge sums here.

6#
發表於 12-7-14 01:47 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 bobbycheung 於 12-7-14 01:54 編輯
HKTHK 發表於 12-7-14 00:57
This thread makes an interesting read.  Not sure how to interpret all these results.  ISF results lo ...

1)  Not quite sure what you meant by "adjusting for bilingual diploma".  Anyway, as ISF spent a lot of time learning Chinese, I guess that's reason why 78% of its students are able to get a bilingual diploma by taking English and Chinese.  (Please correct me if I am wrong)  If you don't take Chinese, it's by no means easy to do another foreign language instead.  For example, if you look at the 2011 IB result of FIS, only 6 out of 19 students got bilingual diploma and I don't even know if they all did French.  Some of them could well be doing Chinese as well.  
2)  I think all ESF schools had their first batch of IB students graduated in 2009 (except Shatin College which started IB a few years earlier).  I guess they just get better after doing it for a few years.  
3)  Perhaps you could look at them in the light of CIS's result.  This is their result for 2011.
http://www.cis.edu.hk/admin/upload/CIS_IBDP_Grade_Distribution_2011(3).pdf

7#
發表於 12-7-14 02:00 |顯示全部帖子
kfy 發表於 12-7-14 01:34
Well I cannot speak on behalf of ISF parents with kids taking IB exam. As an ISF parent with kid sti ...
I rather to have my wife asking for promise from the school than from me.

8#
發表於 12-7-14 02:39 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 bobbycheung 於 12-7-14 03:02 編輯
HKTHK 發表於 12-7-14 01:54
It doesn't feel right for me to judge a student's achievement on how much cost or effort was involve ...

Interesting.  First of all, we have got to define what we are after.  I am sure there are parents who do not put much weight on the IB result.  As tingtingting said, she wants her son to be an IB35 Renaissance man than an IB45.  It's a decision I respect.  However, for others, the IB result is important if his son wants to get into a better university and/or doing the course he wants.  If you are one of these parents, would you like your money be spent effectively on achieving this goal?  If you spend a few million dollars more, would you like the school to use these sums to employ better teachers and get better facilities etc?  If these teachers and facilities can't get you a point more than the school next door which has a lot less resources, shouldn't we ask why?  Is it too much to expect perhaps a slightly better result?  Of course, the students play a part in it as well.  But in the case of ISF and CSS, I wouldn't say the calibre of CSS students in general are higher than that of ISF.  

As to your 2nd question, if I spend all day studying but I still get the same point as another student who spends only one hour per day on it, shouldn't I ask why?  Could it be something wrong with my approach or method?  

As I said, I am commenting on the IB result alone.  For those parents who have different priorities, my comments are probably irrelvent.

By the way, does any parent know how many ISF students took English A2?

9#
發表於 12-7-14 12:06 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 bobbycheung 於 12-7-14 12:24 編輯
liyinfai 發表於 12-7-14 11:23
logically, if the school don't  like to release the details  of IB results, the results may not be s ...

Each school has its own policy.  Schools such as GSIS don't disclose its results to the public.  There are other schools who would put their results on the front page of their websites when they are good, but hide it somewhere when they are bad.  But in general, one thing is for sure.  If they choose to tell you about the result, you will only hear about the goodies.

10#
發表於 12-7-14 12:29 |顯示全部帖子
Mighty 發表於 12-7-14 12:15
That is why GSIS is always almost the best school in Hong Kong.  Keeping a low profile but working h ...
Perhaps they believe in "familiarity breeds contempt".

‹ 上一主題|下一主題