教育王國 討論區 國際學校 有無加拿大國際的家長?
發新帖
樓主: oneonemama
go

有無加拿大國際的家長? [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 16-6-6 09:52 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:Jane1983 的帖子

My daughter went from local school to CDNIS in grade 8 and there are many students there with equivalent if not higher standards of Chinese than her.  So, there are classes for advanced Chinese if the student's family have more support for the language environment.

2#
發表於 16-6-6 12:16 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:Choochootrain 的帖子

As most kids grow up together for many years, we notice therr is a year to year culture.  My daughter's grade is more academic, the year before her is very artsy, etc.  You can see the CDNIS graduation videos to get a feel for the kids and the close relationship they have with the teachers.

3#
發表於 16-6-6 21:56 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:msmiu 的帖子

Level of Chinese is good, but we speak Cantonese at home.  My daughter is only qualified to do IB Chinese level B, but quite many kids are doing IB Chinese Level A which is native level Chinese and some of these kids start from Prep, so home grown kids going for IB Chinese level A is quite impressive.  But as I say, it depends upon whether you use Chinese at home.  For some kids, their Mandarin is better than Cantonese, so I think school has done excellent job in Chinese.

4#
發表於 16-6-7 12:20 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:thirdculture 的帖子

The teachers said her mandarin (spoken) is not good enough and her grades do not qualify her to take Chinese A.  When she transfers from local school, she finds many kids in CDNIS has much better Mandarin (spoken) as they have Mandarin class everyday.  In terms of written and reading, she qualifies.

5#
發表於 16-6-7 12:35 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:lijacq 的帖子

In my daughter's local school, Chinese is taught in Cantonese and Mandarin class only 1 class per week.  And we did not do much tutoring.  As I do not like after-school tutoring for academic subjects, we decided to switch to international school. And it is the best decision we have ever made.  It took her 2 years to adapt to the IB coursework as it focuses more on independent research, critical thinking, essay writing, computer technology and presentation.

6#
發表於 16-6-7 12:56 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:smallsun 的帖子

I am not very sure about lower school, but my daughter and three cousins are studying there, with 2 in upper school and 2 in lower school.  For my daughter in upper school, the real impact is that her favourite teacher is leaving this year, so, she will have another teacher for her final IB year which is rather annoying as one has to adapt to a new teacher and you may not have time to do that before the final predicted IB grade is out.  But other than that, everything is quite cool in Upper School.  I have not heard major complaints from my sister in law, so I think things are okay.  Kids are still VERY happy.  Moreover, the principal that causes all this turmoil will not renew his contract after 2016-17 year.  My daughter is in a service club called CDNIS the Reading Tree.  You can visit their club page on Facebook and see the videos they posted.  You can see that the teachers are more passionate than the kids on service and they are mighty creative.

7#
發表於 16-6-7 14:57 |顯示全部帖子

引用:Quote:原帖由+lijacq+於+16-06-07+發表The+

原帖由 poonseelai 於 16-06-07 發表
My daughter’s school requires chi B students to do the oral part in Mandarin, whereas chi A student ...
Yes, all mandarin in CDNIS, my daughter always complain and wonder why Cantonese be used......

8#
發表於 16-6-7 14:58 |顯示全部帖子

引用:Quote:原帖由+poonseelai+於+16-06-07+發表

原帖由 lijacq 於 16-06-07 發表
Yes, all mandarin in CDNIS, my daughter always complain and wonder why Cantonese be used......
Sorry, typo, my daughter wonders why Cantonese CANNOT be used......

9#
發表於 16-6-7 15:13 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:thirdculture 的帖子

@smallsum, @thirdculture, yes, CDNIS is looking for a new head.  Their previous Upper School Head is now at the new American International School in Tai Po, a new international school with American curriculum.

10#
發表於 16-6-7 16:22 |顯示全部帖子

引用:@smallsum,+@thirdculture,+yes,+CDNIS+is+

原帖由 lijacq 於 16-06-07 發表
@smallsum, @thirdculture, yes, CDNIS is looking for a new head.  Their previous Upper School Head is ...
Sorry typo again, previous Upper School head is now in American School HK in Taipo.

11#
發表於 16-6-8 21:56 |顯示全部帖子

引用:I+think+drawing+ISF+(a+private+school+bt

原帖由 elmostoney 於 16-06-08 發表
I think drawing ISF (a private school btw, not IS) out as comparison is not fair because its Chinese ...
Agree.  My kids have been force fed with Chinese for the primary years and I find that it kind of kills their interests in the Chinese language.  Every week, we work on Chinese dictations everyday, one paragraph a day, and after the dictation is done, it starts all over again.  
I am happy to see that ISF have implemented a unique strategy to help the kids appreciate Chinese language.

12#
發表於 16-6-9 07:46 |顯示全部帖子

引用:I+think+drawing+ISF+(a+private+school+bt

原帖由 elmostoney 於 16-06-08 發表
I think drawing ISF (a private school btw, not IS) out as comparison is not fair because its Chinese ...
Yes, my niece, who started prep in CDNIS and now in IB DP Chinese A, did have a lot of help from parents and family regarding her study in Chinese: got am honest tutor in Chinese during her primary years, help her little brother (in local school) to do homework and revise dictation, read stories such as 西遊記 and 水滸傳before bedtime to her little brother and sister.  And the whole family converses in Chinese.

‹ 上一主題|下一主題
返回列表
發新帖