教育王國 討論區 小一選校 英華今年收表會否破記錄呢?
發新帖
樓主: ppmmbb
go

英華今年收表會否破記錄呢?   [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 15-6-14 10:30 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 babycherie 的帖子

Mainly because its third interview is after SPCCPS and DBSPD announce their application results.

2#
發表於 15-6-14 10:33 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 karen55407 的帖子

Most parents would prefer a thru train school with a back up feeder secondary school.

3#
發表於 15-6-14 10:50 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 KikiDaddy 於 15-6-14 10:51 編輯

回覆 小小山 的帖子

Changing to DSS schools doesn't mean YWC can attract top primary school students. Not sure it will change in the future but currently:
1. Top YWPS students would target other Band 1A secondary schools like SPCC and DBS;
2. Under the DSS tru train arrangement, YWC need to accept about 30% Band 2 /3 students from YWPS; and
S. Not many Band 1A students from other primary schools would take YWC offers to give up their chances to try QC, LS and other top government / subsidized schools.

Sometime, government or subsidized schools can also attract top students if you are the obvious top choice in your school net. Some parents prefer their kids study in a nearby school. Like Sing Yin Secondary School, it can attract many top students in Kwun Tong District to apply and this is reflected in its recent DSE results: -

http://www.singyin.edu.hk/en/achievements/public-exam-results/2014

4#
發表於 15-6-14 12:04 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 KikiDaddy 於 15-6-14 12:10 編輯

回覆 jaycee_mami 的帖子

Very limited DSE information is disclosed publicly by YWC. Just know that its 33222 - 82.4%, credit rate (>5) per student - 2.2 and >5 for English Language - 27.7%.
You can refer to the following threads: -

http://www.edu-kingdom.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=3012959&extra=page%3D1

http://www.edu-kingdom.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=3052374&extra=page%3D2&page=3

5#
發表於 15-6-14 22:47 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 KikiDaddy 於 15-6-14 22:48 編輯

Without any shadow of doubt, YWPS is a very popular school and its headmistress is very good at marketing. Most parents will rank it just behind SPCCPS / DBSPD and perhaps on a par with SPCPS.

However, YWPS is a DSS school and 90% of the its graduates will be promoted to YWC  (the top 5% will look for a better choice while the bottom 5% may not meet the minimum requirements). Therefore, prospective YWPS parents need to consider the performance of its feeder secondary school as well but not just looking at the primary school itself.

A parent above questioned if there is any school that is not valued added. In fact, there are quite a few. EDB provide the secondary schools a Value Added Information System to help them assessing the value addedness. Simply speaking, it is a comparison between the predicted public examination results of the S1 intakes and the actual results attained when they are in S6.

Most of YWC S1 intakes, even before its feeder primary school changed to a DSS school, should be Band 1 students. Its DSE results, English and Chinese in particular, are just mediocre. There should be some reasons for the below expectation results. Hope YWC parents can shed some light on it.

6#
發表於 15-6-14 23:27 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 Wilma88 的帖子

I guess this topic was created for those prospective parents who are interesting in applying for YWPS. No offence to YWPS / YWC parents, I just want to share my opinion with those prospective parents. I believe all I mentioned here are objective and factual.

7#
發表於 15-6-16 23:13 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 KikiDaddy 於 15-6-17 05:38 編輯

回覆 hkpapa852 的帖子

Hardly can we conclude YWC's DSE results is better than LS and on a par with DBS just based on the information in its Annual Report.
Firstly, the 5 or above in DSE English subject is just 28% which is significantly lower than DBS (63%) and LS (48%).

Regarding the 50% plus Local Degree Admission rate, it doesn't differentiate local degree into UGC funded programmes (i.e. admission via JUPAS) and self-financed programmes (including degree programmed offered by non UGC funded institutions like Open U, Shue Yan, and HS Management College). There is a big difference in the admission requirements between the UGC funded programme and self-finance programme.

Having said that, YWC average credit rate of 2.2 (number of 5 or above per candidate) is a good result. Considering the mediocre result of English, the performance of Maths and other elective subjects should be fairly good.

Some YW parents claim that the quality of S1 intake will be improved after YWPS changed to a DSS school. However, if you look at the Pre-S1 scores of 13/14 (first batch of DSS YWPS graduates), it doesn't show any significant difference from the scores in 11/12 and 12/13. There are about 50 S1 places in YWC are for non YWPS students. The school selection preference (sport talents vs solid academic results) will have a direct impact on the quality of its S1 intake.

Remark: Sorry for my mistake and thanks for correction by YWPS parents. The first batch of DSS S1 students is 14/15 instead of 13/14. Then we can only have a fair assessment on the S1 intake quality when we have the 14/15 pre S1 score.

點評

momoismybaby  真的没完没了!!已講了很多次他都仍未搞清。  發表於 15-6-16 23:49
ACE2126  14/15先係直資生升中,唔係13/14  發表於 15-6-16 23:19

8#
發表於 15-6-17 23:18 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 KikiDaddy 於 15-6-18 00:14 編輯

回覆 hkpapa852 的帖子

LS discloses very detailed DSE information in its school report: -
http://web.lasalle.edu.hk/eng/school_annual_reports.html

If you look at the 2013 DSE results of LS, it is better than all other boys' schools except for QC.

9#
發表於 15-6-17 23:58 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 KikiDaddy 於 15-6-18 00:24 編輯

Perhaps I am a monster parent in the eyes of people here. Likes most parents, however, I spend lots of time to do data search for choosing an appropriate school for my son.

I believe school is primarily a place for learning. Parents and family should take a more important role for ethical and moral training, discipline training and teaching the proper value judgment. I remember Mrs. Lam of YWPS said a similar thing when I attended the admission briefing session 4 years ago.

To assess a primary school without backup secondary school, I will look at its SSPA results as the key selection criteria. You can still have a choice six years later. For a thru train school or feeder school, I will not look at the primary school only but also the public exam performance of its secondary school. This is because once you are admitted to a thru train / feeder school, you will probably spend 12 years there unless you are the very top or bottom groups. That's why I would attend the admission briefing session of the feeder secondary school as well in order to make a more comprehensive judgment on the school.

I like YWPS and it is a good school in my mind. In fact, I never say any bad things about it. I just have reservation about its feeder secondary school. If you attend the admission briefing session of YWC, you will have a very different feeling from its primary section. Besides, I don't like school that has little transparency about its public examination result. Nothing need to be hidden and that's what we call integrity.

Quality S1 intake cannot guarantee good DSE results. I believe all those elite schools with excellent public examination results have one thing in common - they can create an atmosphere for autonomy in learning and healthy competition among its students.

I guess parents still worth to spend more time in reading those school reports to find out more about the school. Not just the statistics in the report, how the report is written and its sincerity is even more important. Together with attending the admission briefing session and talking to the teaching staff and students, you can probably come up with quite an accurate judgment on the school.

點評

ACE2126  Sensible  發表於 15-6-18 00:53

10#
發表於 15-6-20 09:56 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 hkpapa852 的帖子

LSC 2013 average > 5% for 4 core subjects (Eng, Chi, Math Core and LS) is 42.5, which is much better than its 2014 results of 36.5 and also better than SJC 2014 average of 40.9. Both DBS and SJC have better DSE results in 2014 than 2013. The only boys' school may have 2013 DSE results close to LS is KC. However, the DSE results KC disclosed have a different classification method (e.g. % above 4 and % above 5*). Hence, we can hardly make a direct comparison to LS' results. However, based on the UGC funded degree courses admission rate and the number of high-flyers in DSE, it seems that KC also have better DSE results in 2014.
It is not that meaningful to just look at the DSE results of a school in one particular year. Each school may have some small YOY fluctuation. Having said that, we can still identify those schools with better DSE results and also understand the traditional "strong" and "weak" subjects of those schools.

11#
發表於 15-6-20 10:35 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 KikiDaddy 於 15-6-20 18:13 編輯

Is it meaningless to compare different schools? The answer is yes...and no.

There is no point to compare you kid's schools to other schools. Some parents said the school is good doesn't mean your kid is good. It's true. For most top schools, in particular boys' schools, the variation of DSE results among the students is huge. In fact, the % of grades 2 & 3 will be more or less the same as the % of grades 5* and 5**. Hence, getting into a good school doesn't mean you can get a good DSE results without spending any effort.

However, comparison is necessary when you choose a suitable school for your kid. Each school has its preference for student selection. This will be reflected in its DSE results. For example, LS and Sing Yin want to pick those kids strong in Maths and WYC and SJC likes students good in English. With such information on hand, you will know which school your kid has a higher chance to be admitted and which school can provide the suitable environment to nurture his strength and talent.

Why so many parents spend their time with EK? Just want to get more information about the schools and do the comparison, I guess.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題