樓主: Vansi816
go

求美國升學意見   [複製鏈接]

121#
發表於 15-4-1 17:32 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 laorenjia 於 15-4-1 17:39 編輯
Shootastar 發表於 15-4-1 16:43
回覆 laorenjia 的帖子

My son told me that there is a counsel with surname Lee who got a JD from Har ...

Was he admitted to pcll before conversion exams were introduced? US JDs don't normally contain the required prerequisite courses before one can take the conversion.

122#
發表於 15-4-1 18:26 |只看該作者
回覆 laorenjia 的帖子

My son told me that he studied the PCLL before the introduction of the conversion examination.
My son also told me that he is with a very famous and prestigious chambers in which they have the greatest number of senior counsel in Hong Kong.

123#
發表於 15-4-1 18:41 |只看該作者
Shootastar 發表於 15-4-1 18:26
回覆 laorenjia 的帖子

My son told me that he studied the PCLL before the introduction of the conver ...
So this route has been more or less blocked. The only way around it is probably coming back as an overseas lawyer after qualifying and working in the US.

124#
發表於 15-4-4 18:11 |只看該作者

引用:回覆+Vansi816+的帖子 我姪女係考IELTS,+

原帖由 angie_ma 於 15-03-31 發表
回覆 Vansi816 的帖子

我姪女係考IELTS, 我都相信IELTS易考D, 你可以去英國文化協會網頁睇下.  
多謝你的意見!由於時間上未能配合,所以上月報咗4月28日嘅IELTS 試,thx!

125#
發表於 15-4-6 01:30 |只看該作者
Duke is renowned for Bio Medical & Bio Engineering, how about subjects like Economics, Maths, Statistical Science, Finance? Are these UG majors good at Duke ?
For non-US citizens, how are the chances of finding internship and jobs during UG at Duke ?
Please share.

126#
發表於 15-4-6 09:28 |只看該作者
回覆 fungsiufong 的帖子

Got offer from Duke, Johns Hopkins, UCLA, USC with half tuition scholarship.

介唔介意講下, USC with half tuition scholarship, 係咪申請大學時, 要同時填表申請scholarship才有, 唔申請係唔會因為成績優異, 大學就自動俾?

127#
發表於 15-4-6 09:47 |只看該作者
聽聞美國一流私立大學錢好多, 考得入, 唔怕無錢讀.  但如果係國際生, 情況如何呢?  這裏應該有好多尖子學生, 請問家長們可以分享下嗎?  你地仔女拿到offer時, 同時拿到scholarship的(金額多少都好), 多嗎?

128#
發表於 15-4-6 14:48 |只看該作者
ponnychan 發表於 15-4-6 09:28
回覆 fungsiufong 的帖子

Got offer from Duke, Johns Hopkins, UCLA, USC with half tuition scholarship ...
Students that want to be considered for merit scholarships have to submit their application earlier (Dec 1). All students submitting their application before that deadline will be automatically considered for merit scholarships.

129#
發表於 15-4-6 14:51 |只看該作者
ponnychan 發表於 15-4-6 09:47
聽聞美國一流私立大學錢好多, 考得入, 唔怕無錢讀.  但如果係國際生, 情況如何呢?  這裏應該有好多尖子學生 ...
This is not true at all. If you are not a citizen/resident then sorry no. If you are good enough they will still give you aid but you will have a much harder time in the admissions process. In all except a few schools in the US international applicants have their chances significantly hindered if they cannot afford to pay in full. Unfortunately the exceptions (need-blind admissions for all applicants) only apply for a few extremely selective colleges that basically take close to no students from HK, such as Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Dartmouth and MIT.

130#
發表於 15-4-6 15:47 |只看該作者

回覆:webeheld 的帖子

I was told that famous US universities have quotas for Chinese ethnic students. When filling in the application forms, the applicants need to fill in the place of origin, like Canton or Sichuan (四川). The surname of the applicant also tells ethnic group. Is it true?

131#
發表於 15-4-6 16:27 |只看該作者
回覆 webeheld 的帖子

Duke is renowned for Bio Medical & Bio Engineering, how about subjects like Economics, Maths, Statistical Science, Finance? Are these UG majors good at Duke ?
For non-US citizens, how are the chances of finding internship and jobs during UG at Duke ?
Please share.

132#
發表於 15-4-6 16:37 |只看該作者
webeheld 發表於 15-4-6 14:51
This is not true at all. If you are not a citizen/resident then sorry no. If you are good enough the ...
明白了, 謝謝回覆.
又, 請教申請英國大學的家長們,  英國的top school, scholarship方面情況如何?  如果有居英權, 是否如美國有美籍或綠卡那樣, 較易拿到資助?

133#
發表於 15-4-7 05:37 |只看該作者
ponnychan 發表於 15-4-6 16:37
明白了, 謝謝回覆.
又, 請教申請英國大學的家長們,  英國的top school, scholarship方面情況如何?  如果有 ...

我有居英權,但係當年申請既時候都係要比overseas,原因係因為如果要比local fees要出示在英國居住3年證明(boarding school唔計),不過而家local fees加左3倍,其實分別都唔係太大

134#
發表於 15-4-7 05:38 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 webeheld 於 15-4-7 05:40 編輯
happyhealthymin 發表於 15-4-6 15:47
I was told that famous US universities have quotas for Chinese ethnic students. When filling in the  ...

I don't think it matters. The 'regional' factor depends on where the applicant attended high school. So people educated in PRC, HK, and US boarding schools are in three separate pools. I would say that students in HK have a marginally higher chance due to less tough competition, but again adjusting to the population of HK most schools only have a very small quota for HK intakes every year. Of course if you are of a more rare ethnicity (e.g. Burmese or Mongolian, just for example), then that might add to your advantage for the 'diversity' factor, but for students in HK, they are normally unable to benefit from this.

135#
發表於 15-4-7 05:43 |只看該作者
fungsiufong 發表於 15-4-6 16:27
回覆 webeheld 的帖子

Duke is renowned for Bio Medical & Bio Engineering, how about subjects like Ec ...
UG majors don't really matter that much in Duke, and in general Duke is strong in a lot of popular aspects (well some exceptions such as arts). Duke has very good placement on Wall Street, and I would think that an international student with a competitive resume/package would have equal chance to be recruited by firms for internship before the final year - or they could be placed back to HK/China too. However, 1st and 2nd year students generally struggle at finding internships but this happens at all schools regardless of prestige (aka me now lol) and even 1st year Wharton students normally have to find internships 'on their own'.

136#
發表於 15-4-7 08:15 |只看該作者
回覆 webeheld 的帖子

However, 1st and 2nd year students generally struggle at finding internships but this happens at all schools regardless of prestige (aka me now lol) and even 1st year Wharton students normally have to find internships 'on their own'.

這是實況, 兒子讀的大學, finance專業是全美top 3之一, 而且internship是出名的多.  他是美籍, 成績優異, 但大一暑假, 他說能找到的internship, 大都是些non-profit  organization之類, 這些多得很, 不愁沒得做, 結果他也是去了non-profit organization.   今年大二暑假, 我上月底曾問他情況如下, 他說仍在等回覆.  看來沒有"關係', 大一大二生想進Wall Street, 很有難度.  不過, 我曾聽兒子說, 他所在的商學院, 大三學生, 一般都可以順利找到理想中的internship. 猜想是, 等到大三, 大學的placement office在這方面也會儘量幫忙, 不管美籍與否.

137#
發表於 15-4-7 17:18 |只看該作者
回覆 webeheld 的帖子

Thank you very much for your sharing, very helpful !

138#
發表於 15-4-7 18:31 |只看該作者
回覆 happyhealthymin 的帖子

It is true that all top college will be very serious in considering  their intake regarding the percentage of different nationality and ethnicity. (You can see how proudly they present this figure every year after they finished their admission procedure. But they never admit that publicly). And unfortunately, HK student is considered part of China, and need competing with mainland students for places. This  also partly explain why HK students is getting more difficult to get in top US college.

139#
發表於 15-4-8 02:14 |只看該作者
raymonds 發表於 15-4-7 18:31
回覆 happyhealthymin 的帖子

It is true that all top college will be very serious in considering  th ...
HK students are not sorted in the same pile with mainland students.

140#
發表於 15-4-12 18:21 |只看該作者
回覆 dlam141231 的帖子

That's true. At least the kid won't need to  take the SAT and just focus on the GPA in cc

‹ 上一主題|下一主題