搜索
教育王國 討論區 海外留學 求美國升學意見
樓主: Vansi816
go

求美國升學意見   [複製鏈接]

101#
發表於 15-4-1 04:47 |只看該作者
fungsiufong 發表於 15-4-1 00:33
While experienced parents here are talking about UK Vs USA Universities, my son is hesitating of whi …
Duke for sure

102#
發表於 15-4-1 07:51 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 dlam141231 於 15-4-1 08:22 編輯

回覆 Shootastar 的帖子

經你這一說, 我在網上搜尋, 才知何謂T-14 law school in USA.   我兒在美, 正唸大二, 對於升讀研究院, 他這個聖誕回港, 曾透露有兩個方向, law school是其一, Financial Engineering是其二.    學業成績方面, 他不會有問題, 只是我感覺到他其實並不是那樣熱衷於唸法律, 只是想結合他現在唸的大學學位(double major Finance 和 Statistics) , 將來工作上的選擇更廣更有彈性, 也許他更受了父親的影響.  
但我覺得以他的性格和條件, 其實更適合唸Financial Engineering, 尤其後來我知道原來他的第一目標, Columbia的MFE是全美top 3的.    只是丈夫一聽到孩子想讀law school, 第一時間就非常贊成了, 他是用很現實的角度去贊成, 他向來認為Finance + Law是最佳組合.    我作為一個母親, 本來兒子要讀甚麼也是好的, 但我隱隱覺得用這種現實心態去讀law school, 其實是不穩當的,  所以一直在想, 等兒子今年暑假回來, 再跟他談談.  

T-14 law school 2014

1. Yale University (no change)
2. Harvard University (up 1)
2. Stanford University (no change)
4. Columbia University (no change)
4. University of Chicago (up 1)
6. New York University (no change)
7. University of Pennsylvania (no change)
7. University of Virginia (no change)
9. University of California-Berkeley (down 2)
9. University of Michigan-Ann Arbor (up 1)
11. Duke University (no change)
12. Northwestern University (no change)
13. Cornell University (up 1)
14. Georgetown University (down 1)

103#
發表於 15-4-1 10:51 |只看該作者
回覆 webeheld 的帖子

Could you please tell me what you know about Duke  and why you choose Duke than others ?
Duke is located in a small city of North Carolina, how is the environment and safety issue there ?

Thanks a lot !

104#
發表於 15-4-1 11:35 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 laorenjia 於 15-4-1 12:03 編輯
dlam141231 發表於 15-4-1 07:51
回覆 Shootastar 的帖子

經你這一說, 我在網上搜尋, 才知何謂T-14 law school in USA.   我兒在美, 正唸大 ...

可能自己biased,總覺得ABC在美國做律師要出頭已經很難,香港孩子要在美國做律師要出頭是難上加難。And so far I'm not aware of any US JDs coming back to do conversion and PCLL.

105#
發表於 15-4-1 11:43 |只看該作者
回覆 laorenjia 的帖子

兒子是美籍, 直至14歲才離開北美, 他是一心一意要回到出生地發展及長期生活.

點評

laorenjia  Oh  發表於 15-4-1 12:02

106#
發表於 15-4-1 11:58 |只看該作者
fungsiufong 發表於 15-4-1 10:51
回覆 webeheld 的帖子

Could you please tell me what you know about Duke  and why you choose Duke tha …
Duke is one of the very best non-Ivies out there, definitely comparable with many Ivies (of course, a step lower than HYPSMC), but it is an excellent place to gain a valuable 'traditional college experience'. It has strong academics and is a D1 school, with a fantastic sports scene and gorgeous campus. If your child is a US citizen, you may also wish to know that on-campus recruiting is strong at Duke and it places very well into Wall Street too. Can't comment too much on the specific aspects about Durham/environment and safety, but most top (private) universities do devote a significant amount of their budget to police departments and safety management, and safety on campus is rarely a problem anywhere, even for schools in sketchiest areas such as Yale and U of Chicago.

107#
發表於 15-4-1 12:21 |只看該作者
If my son decide to go to US Universities, he would mostly take Statistics, Actuarial Science, Maths/Economics or Financial Economics.
How to compare Duke, Johns Hopskin, UCLA, USC ?
(only UCLA got Actuarial Science)  

108#
發表於 15-4-1 12:25 |只看該作者
fungsiufong 發表於 15-4-1 12:21
If my son decide to go to US Universities, he would mostly take Statistics, Actuarial Science, Maths …
UCLA has a (marginally) better economics department, but rankings/evaluations are mostly focused on graduate school and research quality etc. For the UG experience, alumni connections, campus support and opportunities, Duke is a tad better than Hopkins (for non-STEM students), and UCLA/USC is out of the game.

109#
發表於 15-4-1 12:46 |只看該作者
回覆 fungsiufong 的帖子

If your son is very determined into financial sector, I would recommend him to study at US, preferably Duke for PG. Cause iBank is very biased towards top US college graduates.  Otherwise, I would say studying LLB from LSE will be better. LSE is more prestigious globally than your listed US schools. LLB is one of the best program. Again he can always and easily go to US for PG at a top college. That give him the experience and benefit from UK and US, and that open him up many opportunity. Of course, he still can get into iBank career with advantage.

But mind you that if he want to be a lawyer/Bar, he need to take conversion exam and apply for PCLL in HK which is very competitive even for LSE graduates.

110#
發表於 15-4-1 15:10 |只看該作者
If my son does not want to continue with law or could not go to PCLL after LLB at LSE,   what PG programs are possible at USA top college ?
Would it be feasible to take PG finance or business program after LLB ?   

111#
發表於 15-4-1 15:48 |只看該作者
回覆 fungsiufong 的帖子

Actually, you could consider the LLB as a general UG degree which provide very good training to your son and was given by the one of the best University internationally (LSE). In fact, a lot of LLB graduate nowadays don't end up becoming solicitor or barristers. They go onto many different career path: finance, management, business, social enterprise, teaching, music, you name it. By the time your son UG graduates and figures out what he really what to do for his career, he then can decide what he wants to do for his PG in US postgraduate school. Besides, he still want to do PG program even he did his UG in US.  UK take 3 years vs US take 4 years.

112#
發表於 15-4-1 16:32 |只看該作者
fungsiufong 發表於 15-4-1 15:10
If my son does not want to continue with law or could not go to PCLL after LLB at LSE,   what PG pro ...
Business, yes but finance, probably no as a normal LLB program provides little quantitative preparation.

113#
發表於 15-4-1 16:34 |只看該作者
Hi Raymonds,
Thank you very much for your sharing, very helpful !

114#
發表於 15-4-1 16:43 |只看該作者
回覆 laorenjia 的帖子

My son told me that there is a counsel with surname Lee who got a JD from Harvard and completed PCLL. He is now a barrister with focus on company matter.

115#
發表於 15-4-1 16:45 |只看該作者
回覆 raymonds 的帖子

There were 10 LSE LLB graduated in my son's graduation year. All of them were originated from Hong Kong, I was told by my son that only one stayed in UK, all other 9 graduates were admitted to PCLL program.

116#
發表於 15-4-1 16:48 |只看該作者
回覆 fungsiufong 的帖子

The finance PG program offered by LSE is wonderful. If you are graduated with a Master Degree in Finance from LSE, I feel you have a very good chance of joining an i-bank.
The problem is the Master Degree in Finance only admitted one to two students from the same university each year and the class is not large.

117#
發表於 15-4-1 16:50 |只看該作者
回覆 fungsiufong 的帖子

It is possible to take an MBA after LLB but I think it is difficult to take a finance master degree because he does not have the prerequisite knowledge of Economics and Maths associated with Economics.

118#
發表於 15-4-1 17:02 |只看該作者
回覆 Shootastar 的帖子

This is one of our concern about LLB, choice of PG program is limited.

119#
發表於 15-4-1 17:10 |只看該作者
回覆 fungsiufong 的帖子

If you are a lawyer and you have an MBA degree, I think it is quite easy to find job in banking sector. After all LLB is only the first degree. If your son does not like taking law as his career, he can commence another study to suit his career. For example, I understand that if your science subjects are strong in High School, you can apply for medicine after graduation from LLB., though such switch is not common.
Without taking a further degree, I think you can join management trainee etc.

In any event, the most important point is your son should know what he likes and what he dislikes in the future career.

120#
發表於 15-4-1 17:13 |只看該作者
回覆 dlam141231 的帖子

As I understand from friends, T-14 law schools just like Ivy League colleges, About 80% of the lawyers who work in Wall Street are graduates from T-14 law schools.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題