go

想問細B考上國際學校小學難嗎?

發表於 15-2-11 17:10 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:jolalee 的帖子

同意,如果個子高大就更加似留班生了

發表於 15-2-11 22:14 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 jolalee 於 15-2-11 22:14 編輯

回覆 sharons 的帖子

haha, good that my boy is kinda small (although i'm 170 and my husband 180cm). He's only 70 percentile in terms of height. I asked him the other day if he wants to be the biggest or smallest kid in class. "Biggest" he replied without skipping a beat, hands down.

Don't worry though, in no time the boys will all be taller then your girl ;)

發表於 15-2-12 10:57 |顯示全部帖子
jolalee 發表於 15-2-10 00:52
Artie, given you have a daughter and a son both born near the end of the year, do you see a large di ...

Both my daughter and my son had no problems at school. I never really saw any huge difference in development when compared to other children in class. In fact, my son has always been on the fast track. I think each child is different. I am sure parents would know what is best for their own children. There is no harm deferring one year, if that makes parents feel more comfortable and confident.

發表於 15-2-12 16:15 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 Artie 的帖子

You are absolutely correct that it is the confidence of the parents and not necessarily the children's abilities that is in question. My son has very little trouble adapting although he is emotionally less mature compared with his classmates. I have actually arranged a meeting with his school's VP to discuss this issue.
Playing devil's advocate, I dug up some 'cons' in "red shirting" a child, either by delaying kindergarten entry or by retention (repeating a year). Those interested may take a look at the entire article: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redshirting_(Academic)

Long term effect: In the academic arena, advantages are seen not for older students, but for those who are young for their year. In a large-scale study at 26 Canadian elementary schools, first graders who were young for their year made considerably more progress in reading and math than kindergartners who were old for their year (but just two months younger).[17 In another large study, the youngest fifth-graders scored a little lower than their classmates, but five points higher in verbal I.Q., on average, than fourth-graders of the same age.[18 These studies are consistent with the idea that the source of increased opportunity in this case is school itself, with effects that are most favorable to students who are surrounded by children older than themselves.

Although the article in general is inconclusive, some of the points made worry me. Truly confused as to putting my son a year back or not... (Wishing so much he was born in the first half of the year in hindsight...)

發表於 15-2-12 16:49 |顯示全部帖子

引用:回覆+Artie+的帖子 You+are+absolutely+co

原帖由 jolalee 於 15-02-12 發表
回覆 Artie 的帖子

You are absolutely correct that it is the confidence of the parents and not neces ...
Don't worry, what shown up in the studies may not necessarily apply to your kid. My husband was a "big kid" in his class and he got all the good sides from being the biggest, both academic and sports wise. I was a "small girl" but I never knew I was "small" in my class, because I was tall, and was the eldest among my siblings so I thought I was a "big girl" in school and I fared very well and never had problem. I think the crucial factor is being "confident". As far as the kid is confident and comfortable with his status, nothing really matters and there is no definite right or wrong.

點評

jolalee  thank you for your sharing!  發表於 15-2-13 08:09

發表於 15-2-12 18:11 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:964000 的帖子

i think being big kid is good as i was a big kid but never knew i was big. But i could do things a lot better than my classmates, i could jump rope much better than my classmates, i graduated top of the class, i was confuctor of the kindergarten choir.  But that was many years ago.

發表於 15-2-12 18:55 |顯示全部帖子

Agree no more! Confidence is crucial.

發表於 15-2-13 10:18 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:想問細B考上國際學校小學難嗎

本帖最後由 sharons 於 15-2-13 10:25 編輯

同意自信好重要,但小孩簡單又直接,好多時自信源自成功感,當眼見別人輕易完成適齡甚或超齡任務,但自已要多次試煉才能成功,甚或也未能達標這足以影響自信,於取易不取難情況下每每做成側重發展,家長當然要適度調節及跟進,做好思想教育,但知易行難,畢竟還是小孩,要小孩瞭解發展需 "全面" 談何容易

發表於 15-2-13 10:23 |顯示全部帖子

我本人求學時也是細B,在學習及各方發展上也沒有遇到特別困難,但我的想當年跟今天的現實著實有極大分別,最小"想當年" 已沒有大細B這個說法了

發表於 15-2-13 10:47 |顯示全部帖子

但我也相信去到小學,大細B能力之分別應該會收窄

發表於 15-2-13 12:49 |顯示全部帖子
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽
簽名被屏蔽

發表於 15-2-13 13:46 |顯示全部帖子

引用:我本人求學時也是細B,在學習及各方發展上

原帖由 sharons 於 15-02-13 發表
我本人求學時也是細B,在學習及各方發展上也沒有遇到特別困難,但我的想當年跟今天的現實著實有極大分別, ...
跟本當年上幼稚園只要坐定定便可,沒有甚麼測試比拼,大細B分別不大,亦不會因過早比較影響自信,初小課程亦不會太深,人人機會均等。但現在的戰缐實在set得太早了,兩歲人仔已interview, 三歲,4歲年年in, 每日都逼著要和別人比較

發表於 15-2-13 17:26 |顯示全部帖子

不能同意更多。 身邊認識不少於五個第二胎媽媽,首名子女年齡在二至四歲間,選擇今年生產避過龍年,全都“安排“ 好做一月大B,更甚者於一月一日零晨剖腹生產,這反映了甚麼?各已有一名孩子在前,應該有經驗,(家長)夠信心了吧? 看來戰線已靜靜地推得更前了。

發表於 15-2-13 17:29 |顯示全部帖子
My boy is born in Nov. For the other 9 boys in his class, 3 are born in Jan and at least another 2 born in March. Some kids can read an entire book whereas my son still has difficulty recognizing words and sometimes get certain letters confused. Does it affect his confidence? Certainly! He was quite a brave and confident boy back in playgroup (as a big boy), when we skipped PN and put him straight into K1 (mixed age Montessori) he was still okay knowing some of the kids in his class are much older than him. This year in K2, mainstream through-train IS, when everyone seem to be of the same age, I can tell he struggles and is not as confident as before. However, I really am not sure if retaining him a year would help in the long run...

發表於 15-2-13 18:16 |顯示全部帖子

我在想,過多幾年三月後生的小孩會否又被定義為細B呢?

發表於 15-2-13 18:40 |顯示全部帖子
For a small child, a few months could make a lot of difference in terms of development, e.g. 6 months is one eighth the lifetime of a 4 year old, which is a significant amount of time just by simple mathematics. Although there are some small B's who could perform just as well as big B's, they are the exception rather than the norm.

Given the difference is there, whether that difference will make an impact will depend on the school. If the school is always testing and ranking it's pupils, then obviously the small B's confidence will be hit because most of them will regularly rank below average, so delaying one year could be beneficial. If the school does not assess and rank it's pupils, or at least not disclose the rankings to the children, then the impact will be smaller.

The problem with research done by foreign countries on "Redshirting" is that their kindergartens and primary schools aren't nearly as competitive as those in HK, so their small B's probably don't get regular reminders that they are below average and thus not prone to the potentially devastating effect.

發表於 15-2-13 19:17 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:FattyDaddy 的帖子

說得對,我本人對孩子各方面發展满意有餘,並不存在信心問題,至於市場對適齡發展之定義及期望只作參考,也不一面倒盲目支持附和免將壓力轉嫁孩子,更影響自信。

發表於 15-2-13 19:23 |顯示全部帖子

My child is also a small b. He is slow to warm up and shy in front of strangers. You could imagine what happens in interviews. His PN teacher said he learned quite fast, but I stil put him back one year. I really see the difference now. He is more sociable and confident as cimpare to before though further improvements are needed. He talked about his classmates at home and sometimes he told me someone was crying at school and he was big boy now and not cried like before. Another reason I put him one year back is to delay his formal learning age. I believe that pleanty of play is the foundation for formal learning.

發表於 15-2-14 13:36 |顯示全部帖子
jolalee 發表於 15-2-12 16:15
回覆 Artie 的帖子

You are absolutely correct that it is the confidence of the parents and not neces ...

I never took the time to go through the details of that article. I never really thought about that either. I put my kids in school as "small babies", like I said, simply because we needed a school. And, my thought was also that, if things were not as smooth, I could always let them "repeat" one year. Not necessarily in the same kindergarten/primary school. At that time, international schools were not as demanded as now, and it was not exactly hard to find a place.
Anyway, it turned out that both my kids were doing fine. I do not remember kindergarten teachers complaining to me about their developments and abilities. But, again, note that we are talking about international kindergartens. I do believe international kindergartens are much less demanding and more tolerant than local kindergartens. However, this sub-forum is an international school sub-forum. So I guess we can focus on discussing what the expectations are at international kindergartens. In any case, I think the thing is, everyone's development is different. May be we do not have to care so much about those studies. A specific "norm" sample might not work for everyone. Some smaller children can have really high aptitudes. Some older children can have slower developments. I personally know a kid that delay one year of schooling, even she was born in May. It was an ESF school that suggested this girl to delay one year. But that was many years ago. (Lost contact with this family but the girl was a couple years older than my daughter, so she should be 20 years old now.) Not sure whether ESF schools can be as flexible now.

發表於 15-2-21 01:20 |顯示全部帖子
My son who is a small b who was born in October, he's quite shy in front of strangers and needs time for warm up, after warm up he's so talkative n shows confidence in speaking in English. However he got rejected from esf year 1 application.  Anyone knows that whether I can apply year 1 again next year? As I think not just because of helping his motor learning skills and development, it also effect his confidence for his life and future, I truly believe confidence learning happy school life is so important and critical for his future success.

Anyone knows which international school accept one year defer application?

I saw nord anglia accepts kids for year one from the kids who born from sept to aug next year, which means this school automatic defer a year application for students who born from sept to dec.
Anyone knows more about nord Angelia? As this is brand new school in hk.....