搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 URGENT! KBCK or YMCA?
查看: 8045|回覆: 54
go

URGENT! KBCK or YMCA? [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 05-2-26 22:47 |只看該作者

URGENT! KBCK or YMCA?

My daughter is given a place for KBCK to start in April but I'm afraid she's not ready to start as she still needs the maid to stay with her in the YMCA playgroup.  Most other kids let their parent/maid stay outside but my daughter just wouldn't and she would cry very hard.  If I don't take the offer, her spot will be given to the next child on the waiting list.

I'm not sure if I should wait till Aug to let her start in YMCA.

Both schools seem good.  YMCA doesn't require the child to be fluent in English but KBCK does as an entrance requirement and so I think KBCK provides a better English environment since the children there are English-speaking.  However, YMCA has phonics teaching with Letterland in K1 and Jolly Phonics in K2.  KBCK has no phonics teaching.  YMCA is a lot closer to where I live.  Its fees are $1,500 per month higher than KBCK though.  My child was comfortable with KBCK during the interview there but I think she'll need less adjustment in YMCA as she has been with their playgroup for a few months.  YMCA has K1-3 whereas KBCK only has K1-2.  We haven't decided which primary school to send her.

Any advice is appreciated.  

2#
發表於 05-2-28 10:22 |只看該作者

Re: URGENT! KBCK(Apr) or YMCA(Aug)?

Dear Sandrine,
My child was in YMCA playgroup before he starts kindg at YMCA as well.  It sounds like your daughter is not ready by herself yet and if you suddenly change her environment & leave her on her own then I think its not too good for the child itself.  
You don't have to worry about the English standard in YMCA as they only speak English at school and my child can speak full sentence now.  FYI, YMCA is going to have renovation in March and I am sure there will be a lot of improve in the school environment.
Peggy

3#
發表於 05-2-28 12:34 |只看該作者

Thanks peggychai for your response and assurance.

I am sure the YMCA is a very good kindie and I'm never worried about their English standard.  I also remember seeing the children and parents' happy face there during my last visit to the school.

I agree with you that it may not be good to introduce the change to her before she's ready.  I just wonder if it's a good arrangement to let her try to start in April where she can learn from the older children and then in Sept when she's among the older ones, she can help others.

The good news are, I just found out that if I don't let my child start in April, she may start in Sept. Now the decision is among KBCK (Apr) or KBCK (Sept) or YMCA (Aug).

4#
發表於 05-2-28 16:12 |只看該作者

sandrine: may i know your offering is AM or PM in KBCK? what's about the interview there? My son would have interview in apr/may.
Regarding YMCA, is that AM place or PM?

Since YMCA will be started one month earlier, if there are no overlapping, you may try out both in aug & sep and make up your mind by then.  You'll have nothing to lose except a little money.

Besides, have you planned out primary schools for your daughter yet?  If I were you, I'd choose the one with a better path/opportunities/flexibilities to primary instead.  Kids need to get used to separation and adopt to new school life.  It won't be a big issue and it's just a matter of time.

5#
發表於 05-2-28 17:03 |只看該作者

ronnie,

I'd choose the one with a better path/opportunities/flexibilities to primary instead

So which one do you mean?

She is offered the p.m. session as I applied late last year.  When did you apply?  If you applied early enough, you may get a place in the a.m. session but there's only one K1 class in the morning.  About the interview, the interviewer took us to a room where there were some toys.  She talked to my child while she was playing to find out whether English is her 1st language.  Then we were led to the classroom.  The interviewer took my child to join the class and again talked to her while she was playing.  I don't really know what questions were asked in the classroom as I wasn't with her.

About YMCA, I was told that she'll be offered a place as my child is in Toddlers' World now.  No idea whether it's morning or afternoon session.

6#
發表於 05-3-2 10:23 |只看該作者

Sandrie,
Since you are now at the Toddlers' World you can request for am session and most likely you can have it.
Peggy

7#
發表於 05-3-2 12:02 |只看該作者

Peggy,

I indicated morning session only but again, I applied late. There should be an interview sometime this month or next.  Will find out then.  

So what plans do you have for your child's primary school?  I heard that most children go to ESF and other international schools but some go to local primary too?  Would you mind sharing in more details about your child's learning at YMCA, the teachers, the atmosphere, etc.?  

I already told KBCK that my child won't start in Apr, to free the spot for the next child earlier.  I hope my child can gradually become on her own in the next few months.

8#
發表於 05-3-2 12:36 |只看該作者

Dear Sandrine,

My daughter is studying in KBCK for K2 now, KBCK has phonics teaching in K2, their teaching method is very good because most of the teachers whose have been working there over 10 years! And also, KBCK is a Christian Int'l School, a Chapel is provided, all the student can participate in the concert 2 times per year, this is a very good experience for them!   And I know that most of the students there can pass the interview in Kln Junior/Shatin Jr.  My daughter also, she can go to Shatin Junior in the coming September.  If for me, I have no doubt to choose KBCK!

9#
發表於 05-3-2 12:39 |只看該作者

My daughter is studying in KBCK and she passes the interview offered by Shatin JR., and I know most of the students can go to Kln Jr or ST Jr, so, if for me, I must choose KBCK.

10#
發表於 05-3-2 14:46 |只看該作者

Sandrie,
I think the children are really enjoy going to school & you will have very detailed progress report (very impressive too) twice a year.  They will learn letterland (phonics) in K1 and from K2 onwards will learn jolly phonics.  For my son's class, they've got 3 qualify teachers for a size of 22.  They have bible story, will pray before having snack.  There's no textbook or homework for K1 and start fm K2 will have putonghua lesson.
I am still not sure what kind of primary school will send him to as I worry if go for Int'l its really hard for them to read or write Chinese.  Therefore may consider like PLK/CKY.
Peggy

11#
發表於 05-3-3 11:48 |只看該作者

Peggy,

I thought they can have a max of 30 children in a class.  Has some children left?  Are the teachers as loving as those in the playgroup?

I am still not sure what kind of primary school will send him to as I worry if go for Int'l its really hard for them to read or write Chinese. Therefore may consider like PLK/CKY.

Just wonder, do you teach your son Chinese as YMCA has only one half-hour Putonghua lesson per week.  Can he go back to traditional schools where the Chinese standard is higher?

fiona88,

Thanks for the additional info.  When we went for the i/v, my child got a chance to meet the children and teachers there and they were really nice.  Are the p.m. teachers as nice as the a.m. ones (we had the i/v in the morning)?  Does the principal's retirement has any effect on the school?  Does your daughter speak and learn Chinese at all?

12#
發表於 05-3-3 21:24 |只看該作者

讀KBCK 只可讀到5 歲, 請問怎樣接到本地P1 呢?

13#
發表於 05-3-4 10:02 |只看該作者

fanny,
讀KBCK 只可讀到5 歲, 請問怎樣接到本地P1 呢?

No they can't.  That's why most kids go to ESF schools.  Local schools and some international schools admit children at age 6 for P.1 and so if these are the target schools, KBCK children will have to go somewhere else for K3.  

14#
發表於 05-3-4 16:12 |只看該作者

Got a call from YMCA that my child was accepted for Apr 05.  As I prefer Sep, they gave me a spot in the morning session for September.  Really need to think about it as a decision is required before Wed for KBCK.

15#
發表於 05-3-5 10:18 |只看該作者

Sandrie,
I think the max for the class is 24 for my boy's class and now they come down to 21.  I think 30 will be too much.  The teachers are really nice similar to the playgroup teachers.  I haven't taught him any Chinese words yet and you are right, its really hard to switch back to traditional local school after they graduated fm these kind of int'l kind.  FYI, YMCA has K3 class as well, some friends told me if I really decided to go back for traditional primary school then I have to put him in some kind which they have Chinese lesson everyday for K3.  Why don't you just pay the school fees for KBCK and reservation a seat in advance and for YMCA you can get a refund if you decide not to start in Sept then you can have couple more months to decide where to go.
Peggy

16#
發表於 05-3-5 10:34 |只看該作者

Peggy,

KBCK requires one month's fee which is non-refundable before Wed. As it's quite a lot of money, I hope we can have a decision before that.  YMCA needs $500 in two weeks' time.  Of course if we can't have a decision, we just have to pay both.

17#
發表於 05-3-5 15:15 |只看該作者

Sandrie,
Hope you can make a decision by then, keep me post on your decision.  If not, just pay both first for security.
Peggy

18#
發表於 05-3-9 11:01 |只看該作者

Peggy,

Please check p.m.

19#
發表於 05-3-9 11:50 |只看該作者

which school is KBCK ?

20#
發表於 05-3-9 22:42 |只看該作者