搜索
教育王國 討論區 備戰大學 Sharing of IB vs NSS
樓主: ANChan59
go

Sharing of IB vs NSS   [複製鏈接]

521#
發表於 11-11-8 16:20 |只看該作者
節錄自明報

報讀IB國際文憑課程的學生,可享受大學優先取錄及學分豁免等待遇。港大和中大表示,今年首度推出非聯招生「優先取錄」計劃,搶先於年底取錄IB和GCE ALevel(英國高考)尖子。另有6間大學會為IB等其他學歷的申請人提供學分豁免,可較文憑試生提早1年畢業。
港大和中大發言人表示,優先取錄計劃是為了讓優秀的非聯招申請人,適時作出入學決定。大學會按申請人的學業及其他表現,於年底前決定取錄或有條件取錄,較以往取錄非聯招生的程序提早約2、3個月;港大的計劃更不設名額上限,申請人如確認取錄,須繳交2萬元留位費。

明年是「雙班年」,各間大學表示,本港IB生將入讀3年制課程,其他國家的非聯招申請者則視乎情况讀3年或4年課程。到2013年全面轉制後,除科大、浸大未提供資料,本報獲悉,其餘6所資助院校均有意為持其他學歷、而成績合乎資格的申請人,提供學分豁免。其中,港大、中大及理大的學分豁免額,相當於畢業要求的四分一,意味部分非聯招生,將較同齡文憑試生提早1年畢業。

根據教育局數字,本港八大近年取錄的非聯招生中,持IB、GCE ALevel成績者比例呈上升趨勢,由2008/09年的12.2%上升至2010/11年的17.3%,人數則由505躍升至760,顯示有關學歷具高競爭力。八大招收非聯招生學額約佔總學額15%至20%, 但個別院系取錄非聯招生的比例較高 。

522#
發表於 11-11-8 16:54 |只看該作者

回覆 521# kym 的文章

I talked to two admission officers in HKUST, they will offer credits to relevant subjects that the students got 6,7 at HL.

That's common practice in UK and US universities for IB students. Particular in US, most university treat IB as AP.

I like your way of handling, not just cut and paste, which may be infringement of copyright.
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

523#
發表於 11-11-8 18:33 |只看該作者
First things first, I'm obviously no expert in this field and my opinion may only reflect part of the reality which is the outcome from my personal observation and experience.

The gap between IB and traditional education tends to converge (but of course never meet) from PYP upto DP in the sense that it is increasingly examination-oriented. My previous remarks are largely applicable to those lower grades students who spend their spare time playing computer games rather than doing more reading.  If the progress of these students is not satisfactory (according to their teachers' formative assessment), traditional education emphasizing more on discipline and summative assessment may be more suitable for such children who exhibit weakness in self discipline and/or motivation and easily influenced by their peers but are still able to follow guidance without much problem.
When I refer to ‘traditional education’, it does not necessarily mean that of a typical local school nowadays which has been very much distorted from the role of ‘education’. Last but not least, there may not exist an ideal school but there should be a certain particular school (not necessarily an IB school) which can better suit the needs of an individual student.

原帖由 ANChan59 於 11-11-4 17:46 發表
slamai

Thanks for your detail reply, some of your points enlightened me.

Lastly, please don't misunderstand me that IB is suitable for all. Traditional education can sometimes be more suitable ...

524#
發表於 11-11-8 18:59 |只看該作者

回覆 523# slamai 的文章

slamai

Thanks for your elaboration and answer my query. I agreed with your observations and remarks.

In your reply, why you stated this
"When I refer to ‘traditional education’, it does not necessarily mean that of a typical local school nowadays which has been very much distorted from the role of ‘education’. "

I guess you try to elaborate in a more subtle way and I can't fully understand your meaning.

ANChan59

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 11-11-8 19:01 編輯 ]

525#
發表於 11-11-9 12:11 |只看該作者
原帖由 ANChan59 於 11-11-8 16:54 發表
I talked to two admission officers in HKUST, they will offer credits to relevant subjects that the students got 6,7 at HL.

That's common practice in UK and US universities for IB students. Particular ...

That wouldn't be much use if only to those subjects taken in HL.

526#
發表於 11-11-9 13:05 |只看該作者
原帖由 kym 於 11-11-9 12:11 發表
That wouldn't be much use if only to those subjects taken in HL.

That's the norm for most universities. What's you point, pls enlighten me?

If my son got the credits and save one semister, he will use the time for one more exchange program or attachment(s) before graduation.

527#
發表於 11-11-9 17:01 |只看該作者

回覆 526# ANChan59 的文章

Let say if my son do Eng, Hist, Econ in HL and got into UST BBA. I could imagine they would only award credits to 1st year econ classes. That would not make up half semester credits.

528#
發表於 11-11-9 17:22 |只看該作者
原帖由 kym 於 11-11-9 17:01 發表
Let say if my son do Eng, Hist, Econ in HL and got into UST BBA. I could imagine they would only award credits to 1st year econ classes. That would not make up half semester credits.

You are right, depends on the combination: English + Econ + BAFS... In BBA, should be fine

Even he has the credits from HL subjects, he must take up more credits to speed it up in yr 1-2.....

529#
發表於 11-11-9 18:47 |只看該作者
I would benchmark the 'traditional' education as that prevalent in the years more than two decades ago when the education system in Hong Kong worked pretty well. The distortion I referred to may be symbolically illustrated by Prof Cheng's Fig. 3 on p.10 (the shift to Quadrant II) and Table 1 on p.11 (the shift to Roles 8 to 10) of his article below:
[url=http://home.ied.edu.hk/~yccheng/doc/articles/4-8jul02.pdf]香港教育的明天: 改革與教學
[/url]
原帖由 ANChan59 於 11-11-8 18:59 發表
slamai

Thanks for your elaboration and answer my query. I agreed with your observations and remarks.

In your reply, why you stated this
"When I refer to ‘traditional education’, it does not neces ...

530#
發表於 11-11-9 19:09 |只看該作者
ANChan59:

You may take a look at the following post:
http://forum.edu-kingdom.com/viewthread.php?tid=2344591&page=1#pid34097225

It is interesting that [李家琳]已透過「優先取錄」計劃報考中大醫學院及港大法律學院。

My understanding on her choices is that medicine and law cannot be the backup of each other (in the application of a particular university) due to keen competition and a non-JUPAS applicant only submits one personal statement for each university application even though s/he has at least 3 choices.

原帖由 ANChan59 於 11-11-7 14:20 發表
武航

"Would you please elaborate more on your "expectation management" ?"

My son will have a wider range of choices of program to fit in different PG or actual grades, which he prefers and intereste ...

531#
發表於 11-11-9 19:46 |只看該作者

回覆 530# slamai 的文章

slamai

Thanks so much for your info and reminder.

I need to stagger the choices for different universities and may be both HK & UK.

Eg.
40+  HKU/CUHK - MBBS
38+  LSE - Economics +Political
                  Science
36+  CUHK - QFin

I hope this can work out. Any suggestion?

ANChan59

532#
發表於 11-11-9 20:19 |只看該作者

回覆 529# slamai 的文章

slamai

Thanks for your info, it's my second time to read the same article. I agreed with the distortion of education system, but I will use Fig. 1 as illustration of distortion, just illustrate DSS (Private school) vs Subsidized school (Public school), we are heading the wrong direction.

Fig 3 and Table1 may more align with IBDP, as the attributes of student similar to the student profile of IB students. Teachers calibre, class size, student ability, facility......... are not there, even NSS try to copy IB......

After reading this article, our choice of IB is correct....... We still have a choice, how about other kids???

ANChan59

533#
發表於 11-11-10 13:27 |只看該作者

回覆 1# ANChan59 的文章

AnChan59

Thank you for your sharing which is very informative and useful.  Can you let me have details of the tutorial schools?

FA-FA

534#
發表於 11-11-10 18:14 |只看該作者
ANChan59

I've marked my suggestion in your last post below. While QFin as a 2nd choice for CUHK is not a safe backup due to keen competition and difficulty in writing up the personal statement to cover this 2nd choice, pairing it with HKUST (as a first choice) is a more confident backup which should work in the scenario you are working at.

From your LSE choice, does it mean that other choices in the UCAS application will also be Economics + Political Science?

原帖由 ANChan59 於 11-11-9 19:46 發表

slamai

Thanks so much for your info and reminder.

I need to stagger the choices for different universities and may be both HK & UK.

Eg.
40+  HKU/CUHK - MBBS
38+  LSE - Economics +Political
                  Science
36+  HKUST - QFin

I hope this can work out. Any suggestion?

ANChan59

535#
發表於 11-11-10 19:03 |只看該作者
I only used Prof Cheng's Quadrant II in Fig 3 and Roles 8 to 10 in Table 1 to illustrate the directon of distortion. His article did not mention details of other distortions like teaching a curriculum one or even two years ahead of the normal (traditional)syllabus, too many tests/exams (especially in the case of lower grades), too much (repetitive)homework, etc. While Prof Cheng proposed to trim the syllabuses for educational reform, he did not mention about reducing the homework to foster a balanced life, both for the students and for the parents. Although we still have very good students in public schools (govt / subsidised), the performance of some good primary and junior secondary students is prone to deteriorate in higher forms when indepth understanding and critical thinking becomes more important.

If I'm in a position to give advice, a child with fewer choices should not stretch his/er limits to target for a school with the highest banding so that his/er results in school will drop to below average. Otherwise, s/he will not be happy and his/er confidence will be undermined. It is important that parents should not give an impression to their children that it will be end of the world if they cannot enter their dream schools. Not everyone will be doctors or lawyers but they can still contribute to the society and live a happy and meaningful life. From previous research, the people of Hong Kong are not as happy as those who live in less developed countries. It comes up to the question ... what is the purpose of life! Good education is just a process ... its the ultimate goal that really matters after all.

原帖由 ANChan59 於 11-11-9 20:19 發表
slamai

Thanks for your info, it's my second time to read the same article. I agreed with the distortion of education system, but I will use Fig. 1 as illustration of distortion, just illustrate DSS ( ...

536#
發表於 11-11-10 21:19 |只看該作者

回覆 534# slamai 的文章

slamai

Thanks for your reminder, I see what you mean.

He may also apply Oxford E&PS, and Econ of LSE.

ANChan59

537#
發表於 11-11-11 16:34 |只看該作者

回覆 23# slamai 的文章

Dear Slamai,
Thank you very much for your sharing!

538#
發表於 11-11-12 14:11 |只看該作者

回覆 535# slamai 的文章

totally agreed to your suggestion.

539#
發表於 11-11-13 18:25 |只看該作者
ANChan59

受朋友所委託,請問︰

1, IBPD最多可讀幾科HL?

2, 如學生ENG 是first language(HL),再加Chinese都用first language ,但是讀SL,是否OK?

3, 如學生想讀MED首選,工程次選,是否Chem、PHYS和Mahts 都要讀HL?

4, 請問有沒有關於澳洲大學,特別是8大及獸醫科對IB的收生要求?

多謝賜教!

540#
發表於 11-11-13 21:56 |只看該作者

回覆 539# tongyimtong 的文章

tongyimtong

1, IBPD最多可讀幾科HL?
At least 3 but not more than 4,

2, 如學生ENG 是first language(HL),再加Chinese都用first language ,但是讀SL,是否OK?
OK

3, 如學生想讀MED首選,工程次選,是否Chem、PHYS和Mahts 都要讀HL?
Med - Chem must be HL, Engg - Phy & Maths are must, HL is better, but in HK anyone in HL can be fine (Engg in HK is not top program). Better double confirm with the Engg School.

4, 請問有沒有關於澳洲大學,特別是8大及獸醫科對IB的收生要求?

Sorry, I am not familiar with Australian System.

ANChan59

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 11-11-14 11:42 編輯 ]
‹ 上一主題|下一主題