Sharing of IB vs NSS   [複製鏈接]

201#
發表於 11-4-18 12:35 |只看該作者
原帖由 ANChan59 於 10-7-17 10:48 發表

The most popular streams are

Stream A Pure science - Phy + Chem + Bio
Stream B Mixed science - Phy + Chem + XXX
Stream C Mixed science - Chem + Bio + XXX

Electives XXX - Phy, Bio, Econ, ICT (電腦) ...

Hi ANChan59,

Many thanks for your opinion. Would you please tell us something about your son's school life now. Since My son has to face the selection of IB and Nss now, I think he is the same school as your son. He likes IB stream but I am afraid if he would be admitted or not, since his english is not very good.

many thanks!

202#
發表於 11-4-20 18:25 |只看該作者
Hi ANChan59,

Could you please PM me the English Tutorial Class details?  Thank you very much for your kind assistance.

203#
發表於 11-4-26 16:50 |只看該作者

Mr. Anchan 59

Would you please PM the details of two Tutorial English Centres.
Than you very much for your sharing.

Relon18

204#
發表於 11-4-30 00:41 |只看該作者
wisemom & Relon18

Check your pm.
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

205#
發表於 11-4-30 00:59 |只看該作者

回覆 201# mamino.1 的文章

mamino

Why your son likes IB stream instead of NSS? Any special reasons?

English is critical, if he is in the middle of the form, he can handle that. For example, the first essay is 1000+ words, the teacher(s) will teach them how to structure the essay and present arguments and commentary in a systematic way. More presentations and activity based exercise, like court room, games.........

IB stream in general more interactions in class, as class size only 15, but NSS around 30+ students. My son quite enjoys the curricullum and the teachng method, he does much better in IB and rebuild his self-confidence.

In case you have more specific questions, pm me and I can share more through pm.

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 11-5-2 13:41 編輯 ]

206#
發表於 11-5-9 14:43 |只看該作者
We are facing the same struggle choosing between NSS and IB; my son and I quite like the idea of IB (he wishes to study aboard).  But we want my son to study law in university. We have talked to some friends and their suggestion is if my son wants to be a doctor or solicitor he should study in the local university, and also we found no information about the admission grade required for IB student in local university web sites. From the web sites of HKEAA I found that U of Cambridge would consider applicant with 5*5*5 in three HKDSE, U of Oxford average 555 in 3 elective subjects. But because NSS is so new we are unable to predict my son grades. Also if we take the IB we are unable to predict the grades as well since it is new in my son school too. So we are facing a challenge of making decision without objective facts for our reference.  Just so glad I found this thread that we can share our views.

207#
發表於 11-5-10 10:29 |只看該作者

回覆 206# kym 的文章

Right, it's a new phenomenon in HK. Some families are affected but difficult to ask for help, it's new for everyone. Base on your provided info, some quick comments as follow:

We are facing the same struggle choosing between NSS and IB; my son and I quite like the idea of IB (he wishes to study aboard).  

But we want my son to study law in university (Your choice or his choice?).

We have talked to some friends and their suggestion is if my son wants to be a doctor or solicitor he should study in the local university, and also we found no information about the admission grade required for IB student in local university web sites (Most universities only state the min entrance requirements and not the accepted grades. In JUPAS, you can get some results from either UGC or HKEAA info by university and by programs in 25%, 50%, 75% percentile. You can send a email to the admission office, they may provide some info for previous years. Of course, they will say it will chnage every year.)  

From the web sites of HKEAA I found that U of Cambridge would consider applicant with 5*5*5 in three HKDSE, U of Oxford average 555 in 3 elective subjects. (Pls check again in Oxford and Cambridge at the international student sections, you may find their requirements in IB. If you aim LLB for this two universities, IB is a good choice.)

But because NSS is so new we are unable to predict my son grades. (Normally, predicted by the principal or the teacher, not you.)

Also if we take the IB we are unable to predict the grades as well since it is new in my son school too. (Not true, because IB also count CA and you boy's examination papers and CA also reviewed externally. So after each examination, my son's school will provide the predicted grades for our reference and details are also listed in ManageBag/web base platform.)

So we are facing a challenge of making decision without objective facts for our reference (Eventually it's alot from overseas and we need to knock doors......... Most admission officers are helpful.) Just so glad I found this thread that we can share our views. (Let's share and discuss here.)

Pls check this website, which is very popular in UK, you can find some very useful info in it. Also IB requirements for most programs and different univerities are listed. I did search the medicine and economics programs, very detail and comprehensive.

www.thestudentroom.co.uk

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 11-5-10 10:39 編輯 ]

208#
發表於 11-5-10 14:51 |只看該作者
CKY IB programme Enrollment:
One more choice for interested student.
http://www2.cky.edu.hk/web_material/IB_insert.htm

209#
發表於 11-5-10 15:17 |只看該作者
原帖由 wingsma 於 11-5-10 14:51 發表
CKY IB programme Enrollment:
One more choice for interested student.
http://www2.cky.edu.hk/web_material/IB_insert.htm

As CKY (IBDP) and Creative (MYP & IBDP)are private schools, so they can take 100% IB students and no NSS, eventually not fit the topic title (6-6-2011, cstchan provided the following info. after confirmed from the website of CSS, CSS is a DSS school and not private school, his original post as attached. Sorry about that and thanks cstchan's reminder).

Creative Primary School is private. However, Creative Secondary School is DSS. They do offer HKDSE for their students ([url=http://www.css.edu.hk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=206&Itemid=111]http://www.css.edu.hk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=206&Itemid=111[/url]).
Unquote

Logos (IBDP) claimed that their students will sit for both IB and HKDSE. May be a smart way to by-pass the DSS ruling of majority of students should take the local curricullum. As DBS & SPCC (IBDP) will run both NSS and IB simultaneously, but you must select either NSS and IB, that's my struggle.

Will CKY take student from traditional schools without "IB approach background" at Grade 10 or 11?

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 11-6-6 11:02 編輯 ]

210#
發表於 11-5-18 18:31 |只看該作者

回覆 25# ANChan59 的文章

Hello ANChan,

First of all, thanks very much in sharing so many useful informations in this blog, all are very useful.

My daughter is a local S5 student.  She has to take the 1st NSS exam in March next year.  As most of the parents, we are new and frustrated to the result of this exam.  I want to make a B plan for my kid - study overseas.  Do you think it is helpfl to let her take GCE AL.  However, she never take IGCSE exam.

Besides, do you mind pm me the tutor information as well.  Do they suitable for my daughter.

Thanks a lot in advance.

211#
發表於 11-5-18 19:14 |只看該作者

回覆 210# SearchSchool 的文章

My daughter is a local S5 student.  She has to take the 1st NSS exam in March next year.  As most of the parents, we are new and frustrated to the result of this exam.  I want to make a B plan for my kid - study overseas.  Do you think it is helpfl to let her take GCE AL.  However, she never take IGCSE exam.

Overseas may be USA, UK, Canada or Australia........ which country you prefer.

If you prefer UK, GCE AL definitely a good choice, but you need to check the admission requirements through internet, as some programs need AL, if no AL needs iGCSE results. Better check it out in advance, if not an issue GCE AL will be fine.

My son plans for IB, so no need to take so many country specific examinations, like GCE, AP, SAT.......

Check your pm.

212#
發表於 11-5-19 23:42 |只看該作者
原帖由 ANChan59 於 11-5-18 19:14 發表
My daughter is a local S5 student.  She has to take the 1st NSS exam in March next year.  As most of the parents, we are new and frustrated to the result of this exam.  I want to make a B plan for my  ...

Thanks very much ANChan59.

I've just checked and found there are GCE A Level and also AS Level.  And also there are exams offered by Cambridge and University of London.  Do you know what are the difference.

Actually my preference is Australia first and Canada the second.  I'm very new about study abroad and at the moment have not got any idea of any university.  However, is there any other international exam that more suitable for these 2 countries.

And thanks for the tutor information, well received.

213#
發表於 11-5-19 23:57 |只看該作者

回覆 212# SearchSchool 的文章

SearchSchool

In good old days, I took London U. If now, I will suggest Cambridge.

I focus more on UK and HK, so no further info related to Australia and Canada.

ANChan59

214#
發表於 11-5-20 16:55 |只看該作者
ANChan59,

My sincere thank you for your sharing. That is very inspiring!

Recently I felt very troubled to choose for my daughter.
She is now in P5 at a local school and she’s been admitted to an international school for G7.
Basically I am (or she is) facing the choice between 334 and IB.
Her existing school has a good track record in HKCEE but a lot of her good friends plan to leave at F2/3 to take A Level in the UK but I don’t like to send her that early.
On the other hand, the international school under consideration does not have IBDP graduates yet.
I’ve heard that many students who prefer to take GCE A Level will leave at F2/3 too as they believe that the IB results are not that predictable and it involves more breadth and depth than A Level.

I have since been surfing the nets.
After a month’s thought, I have decided to take IB because:

1. A Level fails to prepare students for uni (comment made by UK Education Secretary)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/8227110/Michael-Gove-A-levels-failing-to-prepare-students-for-university.html
2. one-fifth of UK universities are staging admission tests anyway because of the huge increase in straight As at A Level.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/8207751/Universities-staging-admissions-tests-to-identify-the-brightest-students.html

So I believe that IB is the future trend.
My cousin in a top US uni also says that she meets a lot of international students with IB qualifications.
She thinks that in general IB students fit in better than those AP students.

If you focus on the UK uni, this may be useful in case you haven’t read this before:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/higher/the-complete-university-guide-top-10-universities-by-subject-1976144.html

Thank you again!

Chloe

215#
發表於 11-5-20 23:41 |只看該作者

回覆 214# Chole 的文章

Chole

Thanks for your sharing and your info as listed.

If she can catch up in IB, she will learn more and more well prepare for university.

Check for pm.

ANChan59

216#
發表於 11-5-23 21:34 |只看該作者
原帖由 ANChan59 於 11-5-18 19:14 發表
My son plans for IB, so no need to take so many country specific examinations, like GCE, AP, SAT.......

AP is a "regular" high school program/curriculum, not exactly a special examination.

SAT is almost compulsory for all universities in the USA. All students need to sit for this exam. It is a one off exam that is not within regular curriculum. If you want to go to a US unversity, you have to take SAT, no matter which high school curriculum you are from (local HK, IB, etc)

217#
發表於 11-5-23 21:54 |只看該作者

回覆 216# nintendo 的文章

nintendo

Thanks for you reminder, I will take note of SAT and AP.

You may overlook my original message. I use country specific examination, not special examination. So both are correct.

ANChan59

218#
發表於 11-6-6 08:29 |只看該作者
Creative Primary School is private.  However, Creative Secondary School is DSS.  They do offer HKDSE for their students (http://www.css.edu.hk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=206&Itemid=111).

原帖由 ANChan59 於 11-5-10 03:17 PM 發表

As CKY (IBDP) and Creative (MYP & IBDP)are private schools, so they can take 100% IB students and no NSS, eventually not fit the topic title. Logos (IBDP) claimed that their students will sit for bo ...

219#
發表於 11-6-6 10:53 |只看該作者
原帖由 cstchan 於 11-6-6 08:29 發表
Creative Primary School is private.  However, Creative Secondary School is DSS.  They do offer HKDSE for their students (http://www.css.edu.hk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=206&Itemid=1 ...

Thanks cstchan

You are right, CSS is DSS school providing MYP in junior high both NSS & IBDP in high school.

I will amend my post accordingly.

ANChan59

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 11-6-6 13:22 編輯 ]

220#
發表於 11-6-11 01:41 |只看該作者
Dear ANchan59,

Received your pm.  Tkx here.

Big clap to such a great parent in BK!

Rgds,

Cherishvalue

原帖由 ANChan59 於 11-6-6 10:53 發表

Thanks cstchan

You are right, CSS is DSS school providing MYP in junior high both NSS & IBDP in high school.

I will amend my post accordingly.

ANChan59
‹ 上一主題|下一主題