教育王國 討論區 國際學校 以中文或英文為第一語言對bb的影響
發新帖
查看: 1466|回覆: 5
go

以中文或英文為第一語言對bb的影響 [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 04-6-14 23:37 |只看該作者

以中文或英文為第一語言對bb的影響

I talked to my son since birth 90% English and 10% Cantonese+Putonghua so he speaks 90% English and 10% Cantonese+Putonghua now (2yr 7mths old).

My insistence that he learns English as his first language is a result of the education system and the public misbelief that English-speaking kids are of better quality. Of course, I play along, wanting him to get into the best school we can afford.

However, having succeeded in turning him into English-speaking, I don't want him to lose his own identity of being Chinese. I don't want him to feel superior to other Chinese kids just because of his English speaking ability when he grows a bit older (low EQ and low AQ). So I started talking to him more in Chinese last month. He resisted it. Whenever a VCD in Chinese audio was played, he turned his back, even his favourite Thomas the Tank Engine.

Advice needed on
1) how to turn him into bilingual and
2) the difference of English and Chinese education on the development of toddlers.

2#
發表於 04-6-15 08:53 |只看該作者

Re: 以中文或英文為第一語言對bb的影響

Advice on 1)

- Put him in a bilingual kindergarten
- One of the parents speak with him in Chinese and teach him how to response in Chinese as well

My believe is that each person should speak with the children in only one language so the children  will know which language should they use when they communicate with different people.

3#
發表於 04-6-15 09:34 |只看該作者

Hi Brent,

Thx

4#
發表於 04-6-16 07:14 |只看該作者

Hi Cwcw,

I would suggest (1) you arrange playdays with kids speaking Cantonese.  (2) You and other family members keep talking in Cantonese among yourselves, your boy will learn as time goes by.  (3)  Always remind him that smart guys can speak two languages or above (this is especially important when he grows older).

But if your child's first language is English, you must accept that his learning of Cantonese/Mandarin takes time.  As 2+ kids, he is still picking up his first language.  Although there are researches supporting that children before 6 can learn more than 1 language.  However, my experience is that the input of another language must be consistent and systematic (like method 1 and 2 above).  Don't always switch langages when you talk to him.  Again it depends on which schools you are aiming at, whether you need him to really speak English as a mother tongue or a fluent standard.

I have a six years boy and share a similar experience.  Today, my boy studies at an excellent international school with excellent speaking and writing English.  He understands all Cantonese and over 50% Mandarin.   But his speech still needs improvement.  I am planning to increase his Mandarin exposure this summer.  

Sometimes I also doubt what I did to my kid.  But since my boy is already 6, I have to respect his feeling and can only steer him towards the direction of bilingual with patience.  I am happy to share with you my experience and learn from you your planning and vision on your kid.

Cheers,
Ada  

5#
發表於 04-6-16 12:49 |只看該作者

记住一个原则
一人一语

不要一人说不同的语言

--多年教书经验---
http://www.babyhome.com.tw/summer洋洋3歲了2006-July-23

6#
發表於 04-6-17 17:15 |只看該作者

Hi Alam and summer123,

Thx for the tips. I'll see what improvements there can be. Keep in touch here.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題