教育王國 討論區 備戰大學 聖保羅男女中學 vs 李寶椿國際書院
樓主: Judyfoster
go

聖保羅男女中學 vs 李寶椿國際書院   [複製鏈接]

醒目開學勳章 王國長老

161#
發表於 13-8-16 23:06 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 JoJo 於 13-8-16 23:13 編輯

版主按: 請會員能冷靜及理性討論, 如有會員刻意作挑釁, 違規者會被發警告牌/禁言, 以視懲戒.

好好的一個平台給會員討論, 希望各會員能好好珍惜, 同時請大家能互相尊重,
謝謝!
主愛我
生活世上幸福多,樣樣豐富主愛我;
天父造人像首歌,開心音符天天播。
星為我伴奏,風跟我握手;
天地海合奏,都表明主的愛

162#
發表於 13-8-16 23:10 |只看該作者
lawsonmoon 發表於 13-8-16 22:14
我想講faculty of architecture, 係咪叫做建築師, 我都唔知呀?
讀建築需要文理兼備,數理要好,又要有藝術修養,係少數我所敬重嘅行業。(響香港做建築師唔計)

163#
發表於 13-8-16 23:19 |只看該作者
回復 lawsonmoon 的帖子

說得有道理,讀醫一定要記憶特好,考試能力高。

164#
發表於 13-8-16 23:55 |只看該作者

引用:Quote:bigheadchiu+發表於+13-8-16+20:28+

原帖由 lawsonmoon 於 13-08-16 發表
我不是尖子,不是engineer, 更不是cambridge 畢業, 我對上既老細更加連學士都唔係, but that is the fact, t ...
那你覺得John Nash 叻嗎?愛因斯坦叻嗎?霍金叻嗎?佢地好all round, 好presentable 嗎?

你講嘅當然係叻人,但世界很大的。大家嘅觀點、心中嘅尺不同。再討論也沒有結果的。我們就各自生活在自己嘅井中吧!不再回了。晚安。

點評

Sumyeema1  哈哈,agree..  發表於 13-8-19 15:15
shadeslayer  Agree.  發表於 13-8-17 09:54

165#
發表於 13-8-17 00:47 |只看該作者
bigheadchiu 發表於 13-8-16 23:55
那你覺得John Nash 叻嗎?愛因斯坦叻嗎?霍金叻嗎?佢地好all round, 好presentable 嗎?

你講嘅當然係叻人 ...

我諗你理解錯了我的觀點,我主要想講“叻人不一定會讀醫,讀醫不一定是真叻人”。你那幾個examples當然係叻人,咁咪支持咗我論點:叻人不一定會讀醫囉。我有幸聽過其中兩位在世既叻人現埸講座,佢地講嘢係好簡而精和有good sense of humor, 佢地都有好多著作唔係講科學,好多人生道理,所以我覺得佢地都好all round and presentable.

166#
發表於 13-8-17 00:51 |只看該作者
中天英 發表於 13-8-16 23:10
讀建築需要文理兼備,數理要好,又要有藝術修養,係少數我所敬重嘅行業。(響香港做建築師唔計)
香港的建築系都好難入,聽説IB40幾分都要睇埋其他能力。

167#
發表於 13-8-17 00:59 |只看該作者
中天英 發表於 13-8-16 23:04
Lawsonmoon ,
發覺你嘅分析能力好高,說話合情合理;請問你係咪響美國讀 Liberal Arts College?
sorry嘞,令你失望,係就係美國讀書,但滿身銅臭,打份牛工,睇老細面色,俾客户點..............

168#
發表於 13-8-17 01:08 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 bobbycheung 於 13-8-17 11:09 編輯

大家都大談尖子與叻人, 其實都幾好笑.  睇吓愛因斯坦講咩.
Einstein ........ as an adult denied that his mind was extraordinary: “I have no particular talent. I am merely extremely inquisitive.”
http://www.criticalthinking.org/ ... darwin-einstein/505
所以如果你問D真正嘅叻人佢地係唔係叻, 佢隨時答你話唔係. 佢地咁答有可能係謙虛(不過謙虛有時都幾煩. 話自己基層都會被人連番追問, 愛因斯坦話自己唔係特別聰明, 我估後果真係不堪設想). 更大的可能係佢地見得真正叻同埋絕頂聰明嘅人多, 所以先唔覺得自己特別標青. 相反地, 開口埋口話邊個邊個叻嘅人, 可能真係要伸長條頸向井外看一下.  否則就會好似梁振英話頭
"知嘅就笑死,唔識嘅嚇死”.

首先講明我無刻意作挑釁任何人, 切勿對號入座.  我只係講事實, 極都係 fair comment.  廢事無端端被禁言, 真係唔想再開過另一個户口, 想起都煩.

169#
發表於 13-8-17 01:37 |只看該作者

引用:Quote:bigheadchiu+發表於+13-8-16+23:55+

本帖最後由 bigheadchiu 於 13-8-17 02:52 編輯
原帖由 lawsonmoon 於 13-08-17 發表
我諗你理解錯了我的觀點,我主要想講“叻人不一定會讀醫,讀醫不一定是真叻人”。你那幾個examples當然係叻 ...

讀醫叻唔叻,各人有各人睇法。讀醫一樣可以係all round, presentable的。當然,讀醫亦可以dumb. 讀法律可以dumb,讀ivy league Oxbridge 都可以dumb。(咁在ivy league Oxbridge 讀醫又dumb 唔dumb呢?)

其實回應返主題,我想說的是"叻人不一定讀ivy league Oxbridge, 讀Ivy League Oxbridge 不一定是真叻人"。。。那為何要只用ivy league Oxbridge 做指標呢?

我又多口回了。晚安。

170#
發表於 13-8-17 08:19 |只看該作者
我都想出拳,猜梅,呢拳叫“學而後知不足”
係打我自己嘅

171#
發表於 13-8-17 10:44 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 friendlyguy 於 13-8-17 10:46 編輯

回復 bobbycheung 的帖子

thankxxx 乜嘢事?

172#
發表於 13-8-17 11:45 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 bobbycheung 於 13-8-17 11:46 編輯
ABC-DAD 發表於 13-8-17 08:19
我都想出拳,猜梅,呢拳叫“學而後知不足”
係打我自己嘅

打自己嗰隻拳係叫做”七傷拳”.  我都用緊,    因為隨時比人投訴挑釁, 結果係傷埋自己. 不過無辦法, 一係選擇收口, 一係選擇臭口, 最後都係覺得臭口舒暢D.

173#
發表於 13-8-17 17:12 |只看該作者
七傷拳,據小說講,係內功未有大成,勉強去練,未傷人先傷己
我玩嘅係猜拳啫

174#
發表於 13-8-17 20:12 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 Sum_Ba 於 13-8-17 21:00 編輯

[tr]  [td]  

美能源部長朱棣文哈佛畢業演講(文本)

[/td] [/tr]
[tr]  [td]    

[/td] [/tr]
[tr]  [td]  

【演講人介紹】

朱棣文(Steven Chu,1948年2月28日-),

美國物理學家,生于美國圣路易斯;華人血統,祖籍中國江蘇太倉,曾獲得諾貝爾物理學獎(1997年)。現任美國能源部部長。

1970年,獲羅徹斯特大學數學學士和物理學學士。

1976年,獲加州大學伯克利分校物理學博士。

1987年,任斯坦福大學物理學教授,是該校第一位華裔教授。

1993年,當選美國國家科學院院士。

1997年,獲諾貝爾物理學獎。

2004年,任勞倫斯·伯克利國家實驗室主任,是首位掌管這個美國能源部下屬國家實驗室的亞裔人士。

2009年,出任奧巴馬政府能源部長。

【正文及翻譯】

我不太肯定,自己夠得上哈佛大學畢業典禮演講人這樣的殊榮。去年登上這個講臺的是,英國億萬身家的小說家J.K. Rowling女士,她最早是一個古典文學的學生。前年站在這里的是比爾•蓋茨先生,他是一個超級富翁、一個慈善家和電腦高手。今年很遺憾,你們的演講人是我,雖然我不是很有錢,但是至少我也算一個高手。

I am grateful to receive an honorary degree  from Harvard, an honor that means more to me than you might care to imagine.  You see, I was the academic black sheep of my family. My older brother has an  M.D./Ph.D. from MIT and Harvard while my younger brother has a law degree  from Harvard. When I was awarded a Nobel Prize, I thought my mother would be  pleased. Not so. When I called her on the morning of the announcement, she  replied, That’s nice, but when are you going to visit me next. Now, as the  last brother with a degree from Harvard, maybe, at last, she will be  satisfied.

我很感激哈佛大學給我榮譽學位,這對我很重要,也許比你們會想到的還要重要。要知道,在學術上,我是我們家的不肖之子。我的哥哥在麻省理工學院得到醫學博士,在哈佛大學得到哲學博士;我的弟弟在哈佛大學得到一個法律學位。我本人得到諾貝爾獎的時候,我想我的媽媽會高興。但是,我錯了。消息公布的那天早上,我給她打電話,她聽了只說:這是好消息,不過我想知道,你下次什么時候來看我?如今在我們兄弟當中,我最終也拿到了哈佛學位,我想這一次,她會感到滿意。

I also want to point out the irony of speaking to  graduates of an institution that would have rejected me, had I the chutzpah  to apply. I am married to Dean Jean, the former dean of admissions at  Stanford. She assures me that she would have rejected me, if given the  chance. When I showed her a draft of this speech, she objected strongly to my  use of the word rejected. She never rejected applicants; her letters stated  that we are unable to offer you admission. I have difficulty understanding  the difference. After all, deans of admissions of highly selective schools  are in reality, deans of rejection. Clearly, I have a lot to learn about  marketing.

我還要指出一點,向哈佛畢業生發表演說,對我來說是有諷刺意味的,因為如果當年我斗膽向哈佛大學遞交入學申請,一定會被拒絕。我的妻子Jean當過斯坦福大學的招生主任,她向我保證,如果當年我申請斯坦福大學,她會拒絕我。我把這篇演講的草稿給她過目,她強烈反對我使用拒絕這個詞,她從來不拒絕任何申請者。在拒絕信中,她總是寫:我們無法提供你入學機會。我分不清兩者到底有何差別。在我看來,那些大熱門學校的招生主任與其稱為準許你入學的主任,還不如稱為拒絕你入學的主任。很顯然,我需要好好學學怎么來推銷自己

My address will follow the classical sonata form of  commencement addresses. The first movement, just presented, were  light-hearted remarks. This next movement consists of unsolicited advice,  which is rarely valued, seldom remembered, never followed. As Oscar Wilde  said, The only thing to do with good advice is to pass it on. It is never of  any use to oneself. So, here comes the advice. First, every time you  celebrate an achievement, be thankful to those who made it possible. Thank  your parents and friends who supported you, thank your professors who were  inspirational, and especially thank the other professors whose  less-than-brilliant lectures forced you to teach yourself. Going forward, the  ability to teach yourself is the hallmark of a great liberal arts education  and will be the key to your success. To your fellow students who have added  immeasurably to your education during those late night discussions, hug them.  Also, of course, thank Harvard. Should you forget, there’s an alumni  association to remind you. Second, in your future life, cultivate a generous  spirit. In all negotiations, don’t bargain for the last, little advantage.  Leave the change on the table. In your collaborations, always remember that  credit is not a conserved quantity. In a successful collaboration, everybody  gets 90 percent of the credit.

畢業典禮演講都遵循古典奏鳴曲的結構,我的演講也不例外。剛才是第一樂章—-輕快的閑談。接下來的第二樂章是送上門的忠告。這樣的忠告很少被重視,幾乎注定被忘記,永遠不會被實踐。但是,就像王爾德說的:對于忠告,你所能做的,就是把它送給別人,因為它對你沒有任何用處。所以,下面就是我的忠告。第一,取得成就的時候,不要忘記前人。要感謝你的父母和支持你的朋友,要感謝那些啟發過你的教授,尤其要感謝那些上不好課的教授,因為他們迫使你自學。從長遠看,自學能力是優秀的文理教育中必不可少的,將成為你成功的關鍵。你還要去擁抱你的同學,感謝他們同你進行過的許多次徹夜長談,這為你的教育帶來了無法衡量的價值。當然,你還要感謝哈佛大學。不過即使你忘了這一點,校友會也會來提醒你。第二,在你們未來的人生中,做一個慷慨大方的人。在任何談判中,都把最后一點點利益留給對方。不要把桌上的錢都拿走。在合作中,要牢記榮譽不是一個守恒的量。成功合作的任何一方,都應獲得全部榮譽的90%。

Jimmy Stewart, as Elwood P. Dowd in the movie Harvey  got it exactly right. He said: Years ago my mother used to say to me, ‘In  this world, Elwood, you must be … she always used to call me Elwood … in this  world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.’ Well, for years I  was smart. … I recommend pleasant. You may quote me on that.

電影《Harvey》中,Jimmy Stewart扮演的角色Elwood P. Dowd,就完全理解這一點。他說:多年前,母親曾經對我說,’Elwood,活在這個世界上,你要么做一個聰明人,要么做一個好人。’我做聰明人,已經做了好多年了。……但是,我推薦你們做好人。你們可以引用我這句話。

My third piece of advice is as follows: As you begin  this new stage of your lives, follow your passion. If you don’t have a  passion, don’t be satisfied until you find one. Life is too short to go  through it without caring deeply about something. When I was your age, I was  incredibly single-minded in my goal to be a physicist. After college, I spent  eight years as a graduate student and postdoc at Berkeley, and then nine  years at Bell Labs. During that my time, my central focus and professional  joy was physics.

我的第三個忠告是,當你開始生活的新階段時,請跟隨你的愛好。如果你沒有愛好,就去找,找不到就不罷休。生命太短暫,如果想有所成,你必須對某樣東西傾注你的深情。我在你們這個年齡,是超級的一根筋,我的目標就是非成為物理學家不可。本科畢業后,我在加州大學伯克利分校又待了8年,讀完了研究生,做完了博士后,然后去貝爾實驗室待了9年。在這些年中,我關注的中心和職業上的全部樂趣,都來自物理學。

Here is my final piece of advice. Pursuing a personal  passion is important, but it should not be your only goal. When you are old  and gray, and look back on your life, you will want to be proud of what you  have done. The source of that pride won’t be the things you have acquired or  the recognition you have received. It will be the lives you have touched and  the difference you have made.

我還有最后一個忠告,就是說興趣愛好固然重要,但是你不應該只考慮興趣愛好。當你白發蒼蒼、垂垂老矣、回首人生時,你需要為自己做過的事感到自豪。你的物質生活和得到的承認,都不會產生自豪。只有那些你出手相助、被你改變過的人和事,才會讓你產生自豪。

The coda to this last movement is borrowed from two  humanists.

這個最后樂章的完結部是引用兩個人道主義者的話。

The first quote is from Martin Luther King. He spoke on  ending the war in Vietnam in 1967, but his message seems so fitting for  today’s climate crisis:

第一段引語來自馬丁•路德•金。這是1967年他對越南戰爭結束的評論,但是看上去非常適合用來評論今天的氣候危機。

This call for a worldwide fellowship that lifts  neighborly concern beyond one’s tribe, race, class, and nation is in reality  a call for an all-embracing and unconditional love for all mankind. This oft  misunderstood, this oft misinterpreted concept, so readily dismissed by the  Nietzsches of the world as a weak and cowardly force, has now become an  absolute necessity for the survival of man … We are now faced with the fact,  my friends, that tomorrow is today. We are confronted with the fierce urgency  of now. In this unfolding conundrum of life and history, there is such a  thing as being too late.

我呼吁全世界的人們團結一心,拋棄種族、膚色、階級、國籍的隔閡;我呼吁包羅一切、無條件的對全人類的愛。你會因此遭受誤解和誤讀,信奉尼采哲學的世人會認定你是一個軟弱和膽怯的懦夫。但是,這是人類存在下去的絕對必需。……我的朋友,眼前的事實就是,明天就是今天。此刻,我們面臨最緊急的情況。在變幻莫測的生活和歷史之中,有一樣東西叫做悔之晚矣。

The final message is from William Faulkner. On December  10th, 1950, his Nobel Prize banquet speech was about the role of humanists in  a world facing potential nuclear holocaust.

第二段引語來自威廉•福克納。1950年12月10月,他在諾貝爾獎獲獎晚宴上發表演說,談到了世界在核戰爭的陰影之下,人道主義者應該扮演什么樣的角色。

I believe that man will not merely endure: he will  prevail. He is immortal, not because he alone among creatures has an  inexhaustible voice, but because he has a soul, a spirit capable of  compassion and sacrifice and endurance. The poet’s, the writer’s, duty is to  write about these things. It is his privilege to help man endure by lifting  his heart, by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride and  compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past.

我相信人類不僅能忍耐,而且會獲勝。人類是不朽的,這不是因為萬物當中僅僅他會無窮盡的呼喊,而是因為他有一個靈魂,有同情心、犧牲精神和忍耐力。詩人和作家的責任就是寫這些東西。他們的特權正是通過鼓舞人類,喚起人類原有的榮耀—-勇氣、榮譽、希望、自尊、憐憫之心和犧牲精神,去幫助人類學會忍耐。

Graduates, you have an extraordinary role to play in  our future. As you pursue your private passions, I hope you will also develop  a passion and a voice to help the world in ways both large and small. Nothing  will give you greater satisfaction.

各位畢業生同學,你們在我們的未來中扮演舉足輕重的角色。當你們追求個人的志向時,我希望你們也會發揚奉獻精神,積極發聲,在大大小小各個方面幫助改進這個世界。這會給你們帶來最大的滿足感。

Please accept my warmest congratulations. May you  prosper, may you help preserve and save our planet for your children, and all  future children of the world.

最后,請接受我最熱烈的祝賀。希望你們成功,也希望你們保護和拯救我們這個星球,為了你們的孩子,以及未來所有的孩子。

[/td] [/tr]

點評

annie40  发人深省!!! 谢谢!  發表於 13-8-19 12:14

175#
發表於 13-8-17 21:11 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 Sum_Ba 於 13-8-17 21:12 編輯

http://admissions.yale.edu/beyond-college-rankings

Beyond the College Rankings
A Few Thoughts From Jeffrey Brenzel, Dean of Admissions, 2005-2013
Every year, U.S. News & World Report, Money, and a few other national magazines publish college rankings. And every year, Yale is at or near the top of the lists.
I am writing to say that there are many excellent reasons to apply to Yale, but Yale’s position in the rankings is not one of them.
Make no mistake: the publication of college rankings is a business enterprise that capitalizes on anxiety about college admissions. Ranking lists do not provide much useful information for making decisions about where you should apply. Their main flaw is obvious but worth stating: the more or less arbitrary factors that go into the ranking calculations often have little to do with what will be important to your educational experience.
I do not mean to vilify the magazines that create such lists. They merely respond to consumer demand. Rather, I would like to illustrate the hazards of relying on the rankings and to make a case for a more personal and holistic approach to deciding on your list of colleges.
To better understand the phenomenon of the rankings, it is important to look at three things: why they are so popular, what is wrong with them, and why they have a bad influence on college decision-making.
What Drives Public Interest in Rankings?The college search process can be a formidable task of sifting through enormous amounts of information, and the stakes are high. Ranking systems have an immediate and obvious appeal: they seem to simplify making sense of complicated and confusing information.
We have also become accustomed to relying on rating systems as consumers. When buying a vacuum cleaner or a television set, we can turn to Consumer Reports, which employs testing labs, engineers, surveys, and independent experts. By these means, they are able to condense and filter a great deal of information. We’ve learned from experience that there are good reasons to trust their advice, and the college ranking lists depend on people making the assumption that they are providing a similarly useful service.     
What’s Wrong with College Rankings?A college, however, is not a vacuum cleaner. Choosing a school is a far more personal, subjective, and ultimately expensive decision. Yet despite the greater importance and complexity of selecting a college, college rankings systems all take a far less thorough and scientific approach than Consumer Reports does when testing vacuum cleaners.
Another problem with rankings is that they allow the dominant player – U.S. News and World Report, a magazine that has actually gone defunct and exists now only as a purveyor of rankings -- to exert undue influence. A former Yale admissions officer, now working in college counseling at a high school, shared this story with me. Each year, she helps students who have just completed their junior year create a list of colleges that are a good fit with their interests, personalities, and achievements. Each summer, the students visit those schools with their families to get a first-hand look. When they return to high school in the fall, despite what they have seen on their visits and what they know about their prospects, many of the students have created new lists of their college preferences. These new lists always seem to correlate with the rankings in U.S. News. Students tend to discard excellent and appropriate colleges ranked lower in U.S. News and to add “stretch” schools that are unlikely to offer them admission. She tells me she had this experience with “truly depressing regularity.”
Why is That Bad?Rankings promote the notion that the college you attend signals something about your place in the world. The signal translates as something like this: “People will think better of me if I attend a more highly-ranked school.” Rankings encourage students (and parents) to internalize the myth that where you go to college defines your value and determines your future success in life.
What is the reality? This country happens to have hundreds of outstanding undergraduate programs, each offering more opportunities than any student could possibly pursue over four years. It will be up to the student to make something out of those opportunities, and it will not be the school that makes something out of the student.
Meanwhile, the formulas used to rank schools are based on factors that in themselves are often irrelevant to individual students. Their composite scores reflect alumni giving rates, student-to-teacher ratios, median SAT scores, persistence to graduation, admissions selectivity and other data that provide little information about specific program strengths, honors programs or the general way in which the school lifts and supports student aspirations. The simplicity and clarity that ranking systems seem to offer are not only misleading, but can also be harmful. Rankings tend to ignore the very criteria that may be most important to an applicant, such as specific academic offerings, intellectual and social climate, ease of access to faculty, international opportunities and placement rates for careers or for graduate and professional school.
Rankings have also turned out to be bad for colleges. They encourage schools to expend resources on things that move their ranking positions rather than things that serve their students. They diminish the appeal of colleges that serve many students extremely well but do not fit the performance parameters that the rankings measure. At one lower-ranked college, for example, students without strong prior academic records may tend to make tremendous gains, while at a higher-ranked school, even better-prepared students may tend to underperform their potential. The ranking systems provide no way to find out which is which.
A Better ApproachYour high school academic record, teacher recommendations, extracurricular activities, test scores, and personal objectives will determine the range of colleges where you stand a good chance of admission. If your school has a good counseling office, you should certainly work with your college counselor to develop a reasonable sense of the different kinds of schools that lie within that range.
Then simply keep in mind that the “ranking” differences among the schools within that group are likely to matter far less to your college experience than how you yourself decide to explore and engage the opportunities available at those schools. Look at different types of schools. Big schools and small schools. Schools focused on liberal arts and schools focused on technical programs. Schools known best for high academic standards and schools known best for their entrepreneurial spirit, outstanding extracurricular activities or social life. Schools with strong programs in your area of interest. Schools with interesting international opportunities. Decide which of these things is most important to you.
As you examine different types of institutions, your own feelings and thoughts are likely to change. Before zeroing in too quickly on what you think you want, give yourself time to absorb the ways in which colleges differ. Give yourself time to change your mind as you look at very different kinds of schools.
Perhaps you feel absolutely certain of the kind of school you want to attend, and you have a list of such places where you have a reasonable chance of admission. Even so, I urge you to apply to a couple of schools that do not fit the profile, but that you find interesting for one reason or another. Why? I have often seen students respond to a college very differently once they have been admitted in the spring than they did when visiting the prior summer. Students change in some important ways during their senior year in high school as they look outward to the rest of their lives, and they learn a great deal about colleges along the way. Give yourself the option in the spring of heading in a direction you did not anticipate in the fall.
Finally, once you have finished your applications, relax. You will very probably gain admission to some of your chosen colleges. You will probably have a few campuses to revisit as you make your final selection. You will also be prepared to attend college with the understanding that its rank does not correlate with what you are going to do there and how fulfilling the experience will be. What you accomplish in college – and in the years after – will instead be a function of how well you engage the incredible variety of opportunities and challenges that college presents.  

176#
發表於 13-8-18 13:37 |只看該作者
回復 Sum_Ba 的帖子

Thanks for sharing.
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

177#
發表於 13-8-19 11:06 |只看該作者

引用:+本帖最後由+bobbycheung+於+13-8-17+11:09

提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽