教育王國 討論區 小學雜談 保良局蔡繼有 vs 優才
樓主: 匿名
go

保良局蔡繼有 vs 優才 [複製鏈接]

41#
發表於 06-6-16 13:58 |只看該作者

Re: 保良局蔡繼有 vs 優才

joanneheungyy 寫道:

Enough has said. I do hope that my girl could get good results in the upcoming CKY interview and get admitted. However, I am not so sure why CKY use written test for potential recruits. This is usually a practice of traditional schools but not for schools like CKY.

Another barrier I need to overcome is to convince my husband. He believes traditional schools could help to establish a solid foundation, and therefore worth the effort!!!???

呵呵, CKY初小學生寫字可能慢DD, 醜怪DD, 不過吾係文盲(講下笑啫), 亦吾怕醜, 好有自信。學校對學生語文能力係有相當要求既,我諗學校對插班生語文能力亦要求達到某水平,好正常。另外通常好多家長會在小二轉校大執位,所以估計插班考生人數不少, 筆試比較efficient。

至於你老公, 你可以同佢講CKY最注重就係語文基礎,算數一數二喇,吾係淨係強調開心讀書咁簡單, 我陪孩子睇書同解釋文章背後意義的時間不比主流學校家長幫小朋友溫書的時間小,不過個D絕大多數係佢去到書局自己揀既書。  如果你hubby佢所謂solid foundation係默多D書同寫字工整,你叫佢上網研究下世界教育大趨勢啦。

不過宜家佢開始鍾意自己一個睇,吾係太想人陪。漸漸少左弄兒為樂既感覺。

42#
發表於 06-6-16 16:01 |只看該作者

Dear joanneheungyy,

Best wishes to your kid tomorrow's interview, just relax her and let her write or answer any oral question as she should be with the largest degree of imagination. In my opinion, no need to be seriously care about the sentence structure but rather express more meaningful idea.

Thanks,

43#
發表於 06-6-16 17:18 |只看該作者

Dear father_ho,
Nice to hear from you and thanks for your blessing.
Since I have read through all the contents under this topic, I seem to have known you, and feel that there are many "friends" here.
Regards,

44#
發表於 06-6-16 18:11 |只看該作者

Hi15分,

My kid is in P.1.  Those books are not assigned or designated by CKY.  But rather the school would cultivate a reading/learning atmosphere under which kids would take the initiative to read and enjoy their reading.  

Those books are recommended by me (thanks to the BK parents since some of the books I have chosen were actually come from their suggestions) and subject to her final screening (you cannot force her to read it otherwise reading to her would be of no fun).

45#
發表於 06-6-16 20:33 |只看該作者

Hi CYCmama,

I just received the letter from CKY regarding the First Parents Meeting.  Except date of the Meeting and tuition fee are clear stated, there is not much in details, such as how much of the textbook, uniform or any Miscellaneous cost.

Would you mind to give me an idea?

Thks,
[img align=left]http://www.my-smileys.de/smileys2/4_17_10.gif[/img][/img][/quote]
該用戶已被刪除

46#
發表於 06-6-16 21:41 |只看該作者

提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

47#
發表於 06-6-16 22:02 |只看該作者

Dear all CKY parents,
             My child will study CKY this coming September. I really want to know the discipline of CKY's students as  CKY's style is quite similar to international schools. Thx.

48#
發表於 06-6-16 22:22 |只看該作者

CYCmama:
My kid doesn't like the MTH research guide as well.  We bought one only, because he needed to do a project on sea creature.

I also asked my kid whether he did understand the stories, because of so many vocabulary that even I  don't recognise.  He said, from the proceedings of the story and the whole sentence, he can guess the meanings.

Sammymother:
Thanks for the good news.  But it is too late.... I bought the books already. My kid started reading MTH in he beginning of P2.  The series is about adventure which most boys like, may not be the case for the gals.
For Geronimo Stilton 老鼠記者, many kids like it because of the colorful layout.  Check here for content:
http://www.scholastic.com/titles/geronimostilton/books.htm

joanneheungyy
The way I encourage my kid to read:  Firstly, I let him pick any books he likes.  I won't push him to read those he doesn't like.  Secondly, I read the first two books of the series to him, teaching him some difficult words in the books.  Those new words are usually repeated in later series.

P.S. This thread is about 蔡繼有 vs 優才. I don't know much about 優才.  Many CKY parents talk about the good side of CKY, but I would also like to address CKY on the other angle, so that the parents of potential students can make their own judgment.

I can only use my kid as an example, as I cannot represent all parents.

CKY kids are strong in languages – both English and Putonghua.  But,

1] my kid's handwriting is poor, maybe it is because the school does not encouraging copybooking.  However, all of my ABC nieces and nephews in US were also very poor in handwriting when they were young (my American boss' handwriting is also unreadable too!) Perhaps, foreign teachers are less concern about handwriting than Chinese traditional teachers.

2] my kid's Chinese reading skill is OK, but he is weak in writing the Chinese words.  It is reasonable, because Chinese is 方塊字, requiring you to memorize the words.  Not like English you can use phonics to make up the word.  The way of CKY's Chinese teaching is to ask students to read/memorize the poems and the meanings, with less emphasis on writing the words.  So, students can recognize the words when they read across them, but they may have difficulty to write (already say - no copybooking in CKY. Remember the old days when we needed to do a lot of copybooking at our young age to learn Chinese?).  However, I feel fine, and I believe that, as long as he reads more Chinese books, he recognizes the words again and again, he will know how to write them.

3] CKY is very free, so students are having very happy school life.  But, it is easy to lose control sometimes.  My kid, and some of his classmates, are really 大顛大肺 when they are playing.  They enjoy playing indeed.  And, sometimes I complain my kid for his “顛顛得得” and “行路都好像跳咁”.  I am ok with his overall behaviour (coz my ABC nieces and nephews performed the same way when they were young), but some traditional parents may wish their kids 規規矩矩, then not accepting the way CKY kids behave)

49#
發表於 06-6-16 22:46 |只看該作者

Hi, dear all CKY parents,

My dd is going to CKY on coming Sept P.1 too. She studied at an international class (Mandarin and English). CKY is our dream school. My hubby and I do appreciate the mission and teaching method in CKY. WE are sure that Languages both in English and Mandarin are the key element of exploring and developing our kids ' potential and " be themselves, and true to themselves", as a parent, we do provide them basics need for the daily life, also discover their talents. WE don't believe the HK education system , especially the 16-hour-study-routine school life lasting for 12 years.... If my dearest daughter can survive in THIS situation, I will die of high blood pressure. " 6am wake up to school... 3.30pm return home and go to tutorial center... learning all sorts of extra activities for preparing their profolio .... keep thier school results.... checking, pushing, shouting, beating... my family atmosphere is totally ruined by that silly education system.

WE think good and positive learning attutide is very important for everyone. We don't mind what her future job is, but she need to finish the degree from one of the top 3 universities in the world. If she want to be fashion designer, we do sent her to FIT or Parsons.... but she need to equip herself first and keep good standard in English and Mandarin ( Chinese ) languages and good academic results. So she can choose the best for herself in future.

My dd loves reading very much, she read herself to sleep every night. Her English Reading Level is up to Ginn level 8. She know all the PinYin and can read Chinese stories book with Pinyin by herself too. She likes playing piano, ballet dancing, singing, drawing and swimming as well. If she goes to local primary school, she will give up her interests. Her life is colourless and meaningless.

Can anyone tell me CKY provides some petit size potty / toilet for small kids? My dd is in petit size, she can't sit on potty by herself  without any stepping chair. Any PTA members can raise our concern to CKY Admin for coming new term and special facilities for the new school campus as well?

love for sharing
christy 9/2000 ryan 5/2004

50#
發表於 06-6-17 15:46 |只看該作者

hi, all
Talking about buying story books.  I wonder if there are any second-hand books, say, for exchange or sale.  I assume some of your kids have already finished quite some books, e.g., Magic Tree House series and Geronimo Stilton series.

Perhaps, we could establish a kind of book exchange club here.  Anyone?

51#
發表於 06-6-17 18:48 |只看該作者

Hi 15分,

Welcome to the CKY family.

He... sorry, I have forgotten them all.  However, you may find the answers and other useful info in the thread called 保良局蔡繼有學校 started by Voasia.

Hope you will find it of help.  

52#
發表於 06-6-19 11:38 |只看該作者

Hi kunggi201,

Thanks for sharing from a different angle. It is helpful!!!

I think traditional schools and international-style schools each have their pros and cons. As parents, it would be unwise to just look at the pros and forget about the cons.  

I like CKY and believe in its educational approach. But I also think traditional schools have their own values. My personal experience and feeling is, under the local education system, and due to the many exams and challenges that students have to face from primary, secondary to university, the survivors who successfully graduate from one of the top local universities are usually trained to be more mature, hard working and competitive. Of course, over the years, the kid and his/her family need to put in an infinite amount of time and effort in order to win the game and to survive. This is in fact a very tough and difficult path.   

Whatever education system we choose, it affect how our kid learn and how our family live in the next 10 years or so. We all know this is an extremely important family decision.

I respect all the parents who have put their heart (i.e. not just follow what other people say) in choosing what they believe is right for their kids. At the end of the day, it is still a long way to go, and we all know how GREAT parents are!!!

53#
發表於 06-6-19 13:13 |只看該作者

Hi, can anyone tell me where can I buy the uniform ?
Thx.

54#
發表於 06-6-19 14:39 |只看該作者

Curry123
校服:羅麗沙. 在花園街near 太子side..
旺角球場附近,近花墟果邊, 忘了電話,可打1083問

Responding to your question about discipline:
It is hard to tell, indeed. Every school has good and bad kids, it all depends on the family education.
Overall, CKY is very free “IN CLASS” (Active Education)
But the school has it own rules to be followed by kids.
In the first day of school, the school master will ask the kids to read out the rules and commit themselves to follow the rules, help develop them to be responsible for themselves.
In overall, CKY kids are quite “active” in school if comparing to the traditional school.  If you are expecting kids to stand straight, put their hands in their back, look at the teachers and talk with respect, um…you are unlikely to see this.

印象最深是,兩年前去CKY交留位費,那時剛放學,學生在走廊排隊等校車,真係搵個正正經經企的都難,有些索性「攤」在地上等,用書包當枕頭。這種情況在鬼仔學校也很普遍,問題是,香港的家長可以接受嗎?

However, it is ok to me.  They are still kids, and I believe many CKY parents would rather prefer their kids "acceptable 曳曳"  than  "乖乖薯仔"

(我見過隔離耀中的學生recess時操場粗口爛舌,呢d就真係接受唔到,俾成萬學費連粗口都可以學到。CKY學費平d, 學生細d, 好在仲未有呢d「額外課程」)

Joanneheungyy
Agreed.  No school is perfect.  Just what the parents want.

55#
發表於 06-6-19 18:06 |只看該作者

Kunggi201, thanks a lot.
Yes, I agree with you that family education is a crucial factor. Besides, I believe that 'peer groups' is also important.
I believe that my son will be more happy in an active learning environment rather than a passive mode. Thus, why I  choose CKY. Anyway, thanks for your sharing.    

56#
發表於 06-6-20 10:36 |只看該作者

Dear Parent,

If you just brought the Magic tree House series, don't forget to go to the following web for printing the activity sheets and answers inside the teacher guide section:

http://www.randomhouse.com/teachers/magicth/guides/

This series will easily capture your kids attention and once started, they will read by themselves(like my young daughter, although she didn't understand well) and the activity sheets are just checking, keeping their attenetion only.

Thanks,

57#
發表於 06-10-24 00:40 |只看該作者

Dear M&Mmother,

FYI my son is studying in GT school but my dream school is CKY.

My son is now studying in GT because I had lost the chance to attend the admission of CKY.  However, I still engaged to get the news about CKY and I hope my son can study in CKY one day.

However, my son really love GT school so much. I am wonder if I would send him to CKY if I had a chance.

After a few years in GT, I think GT and CKY are both good school.   I can say the only thing that GT has lost is the big backup of rich organization(保良局) and the NETs at GT are not as much as CKY.

Both GT and CKY has many activities to encourage  reading.
Both GT and CKY can provide a happy learning enviroment to children.

If you are talking the ENG skill and NET口音, CKY may win.  Other than this, I think GT will no way be  the loser.     

I had learn from GT is that, studying is not the only thing for children.  GT can provide a creative and full learning enviroment to children (full learning = not only study but include behaviour, emotion, 多智能 and parent support.)

58#
發表於 06-10-24 10:23 |只看該作者

雖然蔡繼有定位為雙語學校,但感覺上仍是比較著重英語的,從今年小一收生取向就可見一斑。小兒班內較熟識的十多位同學中,四位來自St Catherine、一位ESF、兩位耀中、一位Tutor Time、一位York、一位根德園。因為根德園定位為中文幼稚園,故十人當中,九成來自英文幼稚園或國際學校。

最令我驚訝的是,到現時為止,我都未曾認識一位學生是來自地區幼稚園或不知名幼稚園,原因何在呢?難道地區幼稚園真的不能培育出語文能力強的學生,抑或蔡繼有對個別幼稚園是會有所偏好呢?實在可圈可點?!

毫無疑問,蔡繼有憑著學生語文能力的優勢,所以較容易培養(提升)學生的英語能力。

59#
發表於 06-10-24 13:52 |只看該作者

How about St. Margaret, seems all close to CKY and a good English environment and like international school but the fee is much lower than CKY ?

60#
發表於 06-10-24 14:54 |只看該作者

Hi kunggi201,

My boy is the new in CKY, so I know you from the
topic of CKY.  Thank you very much for all your sharing.

I know that the below website always have the special price for the storybooks.
You can have a look.

http://clubs.scholastic.com/cool/login.jsp
‹ 上一主題|下一主題