教育王國 討論區 小學雜談 保良局蔡繼有學校
樓主: 維他
go

保良局蔡繼有學校 [複製鏈接]

41#
發表於 05-2-23 14:03 |只看該作者

Re: 保良局蔡繼有學校

Hi, Kunggi201, Kookamfai
Just want to know if my kid is now studing in K1 (Int'l kindg), if he hasn't pick up any Chinese read/write before, will there be a problem for him to start at P1?  Do you know they take kids fm 5 or 6?
Thx
Peggy

42#
發表於 05-2-23 18:32 |只看該作者

I heard from a teacher (not a CKY teacher) that the government has lowered maths level of HK schools to stay in line with international standard, as HK students have been 2 grade higher than those of foreign countries in maths (If it is really the case, damn the government, why should they take away our strength?).  So, many local schools are using “new and easier” maths textbooks, but the traditional famous schools keep using the “old” ones.  

I also heard from other people that, those school using Activity Approached Education are generally weak in maths.  Perhaps they do not request student to memorise formula during the young age.

But, I don’t think CKY's math level is easy (I only mean for P1 students. Not sure the upper classes), because:

1] maths are taught in English
2] the samples you saw on school web are just the work of the early days (they never update).  The classes have so- called “Minute-Math” or “Math Challenge”, requesting the kid to calculate 45 (or 50? I forgot) additions and subtractions in 2 minutes.  Keep in mind that kids read and write slower than adults.

As of the school bag, sorry no idea, as I forgot the one for my kid is S or L (may be kookamfai could answer?). Anyway, all kids have their own shelves and magazine boxes in class, so kids are not required to take their text books home daily unless there is homework to do.  

About accepting students from international kinders, sorry no idea.  Perhaps to give you some ideas that:

1] the school uses Chinese folk rhymes to teach Chinese…e.g. 搖搖搖,搖到外婆橋, making the learning process fun and easy
2] the kids are learning Chinese poems from school like “春眠不覺曉..”, and the parents are requested to help teach their kids poems and share with classmates.
3] The school has penmanship (writing practice) in both Chinese and English during class, but no "copy book" homework.
4] We are required to read Chinese books  assigned by school to the kids from time to time.

43#
發表於 05-2-23 23:20 |只看該作者

peggychai:

In 9/2004 I bought a "L" size school bag from Dr.Kxxg to my kid. But, in last month, I bought a smaller size for her because 'L" was too big .  One more thing to remind you that the school bag in CKY should be in the colour of blue!
Can I help you?

44#
發表於 05-2-24 00:00 |只看該作者

I heard most of the subjects will not be taught in English starting from p4 or p5.  Is this true?   If this is the case, does the school have any plan to help the students maintain their level of English?  Also, what are the subjects?  Are they going to be taught in Mandarin or Cantonese?  I am quite confused. Can any current CKY parent clearify these points for me.   Thanks very much!

45#
發表於 05-2-24 00:20 |只看該作者

Dear Path Mother
Don't worry. I am a working mother who's back at home more or less as your time, sometimes even later. My elder daughter is studying P2 & her younger sister is going to enter cky this Sept, too. There's  not much homework, mostly worksheets which are easy. There's no copying or dictation but be ready to read lots of books. In last summer holiday, she had to read  50 books. For this young age, you have to read with them. Reading books are homework during long holiday. Learning Maths in English is a bit difficult & also PTH which is used in Chinese from P2 onwards.

46#
發表於 05-2-24 00:24 |只看該作者

Chinese is taught by Putohuang (PTH) from P2 onwards. Other major subjects remain English. I find English not a problem but rather PTH, which we were not formerly taught during our schooldays.

47#
發表於 05-2-24 10:37 |只看該作者

Dear yingky,

Thank you for your sharing. As you mentioned that your daughter had to read 50 books last summer. Do you mean much quantity was assigned / suggested by school or your girl is a bookworm       ( She likes to read voluntary )?

noseyboy

48#
發表於 05-2-24 23:11 |只看該作者

noseyboy 寫道:
Dear yingky,

Thank you for your sharing. As you mentioned that your daughter had to read 50 books last summer. Do you mean much quantity was assigned / suggested by school or your girl is a bookworm       ( She likes to read voluntary )?

noseyboy

Dear noseyboy
The school used to assign a reading scheme during long holiday like 7 Chinese books in the Chinese New Year. Students had to report the titles of the books with short comments. We use to borrow books from the library. Last summer , the school joined an open reading scheme at the 'Reading Land ' and together with the school's reading scheme, my daughter had read 50 books ( English + Chinese). You know some books she may not like to report after reading. So don't think that you can sit back & relax during holiday, you have to get started  reading. My daughter can read English books independently now but still need supervision for Chinese books. And she likes to exchange funny books with her classmates.

yingky

49#
發表於 05-2-25 00:49 |只看該作者

Dear yingky

Many thanks for your useful information!

noseyboy

50#
發表於 05-2-25 13:38 |只看該作者

Thank you kunggi201 & kookamfai for your advice & info. For yingky : some tips for self-learning PTH.  There are a lot of mainland & Taiwan story books from the govt libraries with CD.  My son listens to them again & again while playing/doing homework and his PTH teacher (1 lesson each week) in the kindergarten praised him for his pronounication. The stories are very good and some are funny.  I found my own PTH improving by reading to him at bedside.  He can now converse in simple sentences, read other stories in PTH by himself and surprisingly beat my friend's child that has private PTH tuition.  

51#
發表於 05-2-25 15:38 |只看該作者

想請問cky返全日定半日呢?返幾點?放幾點呢??

52#
發表於 05-2-25 19:23 |只看該作者

Dear yingky:

Thank you very much for sharing the info.   I heard starting from p4, subjects like PE, computer, and music will be taught in Chinese, not sure in Cantonese or Mandarin.  Is this true?

53#
發表於 05-2-25 22:22 |只看該作者

Diamond 寫道:
想請問cky返全日定半日呢?返幾點?放幾點呢??

全日.8:25 am- 3:35 pm

Thank you very much for sharing the info.   I heard starting from p4, subjects like PE, computer, and music will be taught in Chinese, not sure in Cantonese or Mandarin.  Is this true?

About the subject of teaching language, this has been answered several times in this thread. Please check.

For those who are interested in CKY:
[url=http://www.hk-farm.com/discuss/read.php?f=3&i=16179&t=16179&c=7&dc=2 ](click) 其他教育網的家長意見[/url]

54#
發表於 05-2-25 23:49 |只看該作者

Dear kunggi201:

Thanks for the info. I did try to search for info regarding CKY before I posted my question, but was not able to find answers from the results returned by the not-so-user-friendly search engine.

Since I am from Taiwan and we speak Mandarin at home, plus my kid goes to an English speaking kindergarten right now, so he can handle both Mandarin and English, but his Cantonese is poor.  So the real question I would like to ask is whether it's going to be a problem for my kid to study in CKY if many subjects are going to be taught in Cantonese eventually.
Thanks.

55#
發表於 05-2-26 10:27 |只看該作者

Dear Parents,

Hello! I am a new comer here!

Can you correct my understanding if I am wrong pls?

If parents will send their children to study overseas in future, CKY should be the good choice since the school curriculum does not follow the one in most of the local traditional schools and hence not matching with the examination mode in Hong Kong.

Pls advise me.

Thanks

Jeffhouse

56#
發表於 05-2-28 00:31 |只看該作者

kunggi201 寫道:
PakWingMa

My kid received good phonics training in his kindergarten before entering CKY, so he can pick up oral English easily.  He has some classmates from Chinese kinders, of those some of them are doing well (learning English) and some are not.  I think it all depends on the kids, whether they can open themselves to a new environment.  I know many people (adults) who studied overseas for some years but they can’t even speak good English now.  Kids are fast learners, and if they can actively participate in the class learning process, they should do well.  Of course, encouragement from parents are very important.

kunggi201,
Will school teach phonics as one of the subjects? If they have phonics lessons, I won't take him to learn it just for 6 months from now to Sept.

57#
發表於 05-2-28 09:53 |只看該作者

PakWingMa 寫道:
Will school teach phonics as one of the subjects? If they have phonics lessons, I won't take him to learn it just for 6 months from now to Sept.

My kid was already good in phonics before entering CKY, so we didn't ask him much about phonics training at school. There is no formal class section called "honics", so I am not sure whether the teachers teach phonics at class.  Hope other CKY parents could response.

However, I recalled that when my kid attended the 1-hour interview (individual and group together), he was asked to pronounce a few letters' sound during one-to-one interview.

Jeffhouse 寫道:
If parents will send their children to study overseas in future, CKY should be the good choice since the school curriculum does not follow the one in most of the local traditional schools and hence not matching with the examination mode in Hong Kong.  Pls advise me.
Thanks Jeffhouse

Sorry I am not in a position to comment on the local education mode. (Many students receiving traditional HK education could evenually enter good foreign schools as well).  Every parent has their own preference and judgement.  To me, I wish my kid could enter a good US school, which usually requires good SAT (for high-school kids entering University, or TOEFL for "foreigners") and GMAT (for Master) results.  The English of these exams is tough...I still remember a question asking about... "A man lives in house, and a horse lives in _______ ".  So, I wish my kid could have better english training during the young age.

BeBeJ 寫道:
Dear kunggi201:

Thanks for the info. I did try to search for info regarding CKY before I posted my question, but was not able to find answers from the results returned by the not-so-user-friendly search engine.

Since I am from Taiwan and we speak Mandarin at home, plus my kid goes to an English speaking kindergarten right now, so he can handle both Mandarin and English, but his Cantonese is poor.  So the real question I would like to ask is whether it's going to be a problem for my kid to study in CKY if many subjects are going to be taught in Cantonese eventually.
Thanks.

P1 - English and Cantonese.  But starting from P2, only English and Mandarin are spoken at class.  So your kid should have no problem in academic (and even better than most HK kids).  However, communication amongs kids after class are usually Cantonese.  You may consider that as a problem for your kid to make friends, but on the other side, also a chance for your kid to practice cantonese.

58#
發表於 05-2-28 12:00 |只看該作者

CKY parents,

is CKY using IB cirriculum? or do they have plan for IB Cirriculum?

Thanks.

59#
發表於 05-2-28 12:18 |只看該作者

Hi all,

I do believe that CKY is a good choice if one decide to send your kid overseas to continue study.  However, what's your comment for those parents who prefer their children to study in HK?  If CKY still a good choice?

Thanks so much!!

60#
發表於 05-2-28 23:46 |只看該作者

kunggi201 寫道:
[quote]
PakWingMa 寫道:

My kid was already good in phonics before entering CKY, so we didn't ask him much about phonics training at school. There is no formal class section called "honics", so I am not sure whether the teachers teach phonics at class.  Hope other CKY parents could response.

However, I recalled that when my kid attended the 1-hour interview (individual and group together), he was asked to pronounce a few letters' sound during one-to-one interview.

Kunggi201,

Thank you for your quick response.

If they don't have phonics, will they have oral lesson? Any other english lessons like grammar, reading and composition etc?

‹ 上一主題|下一主題