發表於 05-4-27 14:12 |只看該作者

Re: YMCA Intl Kindergarten in TST

hoeve :
Sunny side Kindergarten - No.4 Jordan Road
this school good, but old

22#
發表於 05-4-27 14:18 |只看該作者

you may have already gone for the interview, I went there too, but it was actually a school tour instead of interview, I have reservations about  the school so I did not pay the deposit. From what I observe, they don't have enough students this year, I think my son can still get in if I change my mind later this year.

minggrace 寫道:
Next week, I'll have an appointment with the principal of YMCA International Kindergarten. Is the interview easy? My son is truly bilingual but he can speak English well (good enough to convey his ideas). How should I get my son to be prepared for the interview? Please advise.
wbmom

23#
發表於 05-4-27 14:32 |只看該作者

wbmom,

Like what you said, it's a school tour rather than an interview.  My husband told me that one mom didn't even bring her child.  But my husband paid the reservation fee already.  Would you mind sharing with us why you have reservation about the school?

24#
發表於 05-4-28 10:07 |只看該作者

Sandrine,

It seemed to me that their teachers are not very experienced or capable, they can't 'control' the class at all. I don't mean that they have to sit down quietly like the local school, but it seems to me that they just let a group of children playing freely in the room most of the time, very unorganized.

I trust my instincts because it always work for me. But I think you should pay a visit yourself, woman usually can get a better feel than man in such things.   

Another thing for my consideration is their location, it's a bit far from my home, unless it's a very good school, it just doesn't justify the travelling. They are expensive too!

wbmom

25#
發表於 05-4-28 14:58 |只看該作者

Hi, my son will have inteviews by KBCK & YMCA (TST) on the same day next week. Can I ask when KBCK will let me know the admission result after the interview? Can you share your experience?
I'm also thinking of which school (KCBK or YMCA) my son should go to (if he can pass the interview offered by KCBK). KCBK or YMCA (TST)?

KCBK is cheaper but I like the whole-day school by YMCA (starting from K2).

Minggrace

26#
發表於 05-4-28 16:33 |只看該作者

wbmom,

I visited the school last year but it was during their lunch break and so I haven't seen how the class run.  Perhaps I should ask my husband about his observation.  I would consider YMCA because it's relatively close to where I live.  Besides they offered us the morning session.  KBCK offered us the afternoon session only and it's a bit far from home but I heard that KBCK has very good teachers.  So we don't know what to do.  What's your preferred school then?

minggrace,

When I had the interview at KBCK in Feb, the interviewer told me right away after the interview that my daughter would be accepted.  I received the acceptance letter about a week later telling me to pay the registration fee (non-refundable) of $2,200 within a week or so (can't remember the exact time).

I believe the child would be accepted without a formal interview for YMCA.

KBCK or YMCA?  I wish I had the answers.  Both schools seem good and it's really a tough decision.  That's why we've paid the fees for both schools.

Would love to hear more comments from other parents about these 2 schools.

27#
發表於 05-4-28 16:55 |只看該作者

Be frank, I prefer YMCA(TST) to KBCK as YMCA offers PM school only (even if my son can pass thr interview next week). Like you, YMCA(TST) is a bit further away from my house but the afternoon activities(whole day school from k2 onward) are very interesting and attractive (swimming...). And there's K3 for YMCA (TST); we can't tell what'll happen after 2 years (as ESF, the biggest international schools organization, will change its admission policy. I'm afraid the other non-ESF schools will follow suit.) So it's good for YMCA to have K3 as I may still be able to switch to local school just if ... I dunno.
Thanks for sharing.
Minggrace

28#
發表於 05-4-28 23:19 |只看該作者

minggrace,

how much of the school fee??

29#
發表於 05-4-29 08:11 |只看該作者

Around $3700 for half day school and $6500 for full day school

Minggrace

30#
發表於 05-4-29 14:12 |只看該作者

由 wbmom 於 2005-04-28 10:07:08
But I think you should pay a visit yourself, woman usually can get a better feel than man in such things.

You're right.  I asked my husband about his observation and he said he didn't quite pay attention to the classroom activities.  Finally he said that there was only one K1 class and the other classrooms were empty, could be because the children were elsewhere for other activities.  So he said the teacher was leading the circle time singing enthusiasticly and the children seemed to be following her.  

31#
發表於 05-4-29 14:14 |只看該作者

由 minggrace 於 2005-04-28 16:55:39
Be frank, I prefer YMCA(TST) to KBCK as YMCA offers PM school only (even if my son can pass thr interview next week). Like you, YMCA(TST) is a bit further away from my house ...

minggrace,
Do you mean KBCK offers pm session to you instead?  

Let us know your decision.

32#
發表於 05-4-29 18:00 |只看該作者

I guess there may be only one to two vacancies left for PM session only and the admission competition is very keen. On the other hand, YMCA (TST) only offers AM session with no PM session for the coming school year.

Minggrace

33#
發表於 05-4-29 18:35 |只看該作者

sometimes I just don't understand the logics, ok, KCBK interviews younger children later, it seems fairer but there are only very few seats left, so actually they are discriminating smaller kids just like most other kinders do.

Hope someone tell me I am wrong. As a mom with a son who are born in late Dec, 2002, I feel my son is not fairly treated.........I must point out the fact that my son is just an average kid, not particular smart.
wbmom

34#
發表於 05-4-29 18:53 |只看該作者

I got the same feeling... My son was born in November 2002 (the so-called 'small kid'). Be honest, it's not very fair as small kids, especially boys, develop slowly (as compared with girls). Do you agree?
The admission interviews just exert pressure on me, not my kid. That's the reason I like YMCA (TST) as it doesn't offer an entrance test but a meeting for parents and kids to learn more about the school. As long as it still has a place, it will give an offer to the kid.
Minggrace

35#
發表於 05-4-29 23:56 |只看該作者

wbmom,

How do you know that they interview the older children first? I thought they accept the children based on the application date subject to their passing an interview.  When I asked them how early I should have applied if I wanted to get the morning session, they said June 2003 and I realized how late I was.

As far as I know, some children got interviewed earlier because they were old enough to start in April.  Those who start in Sept should be scheduled for late April or early May.

minggrace,

Relax!  The interview isn't that bad.  Just make your child comfortable.  In fact, it's more like a casual chat.

36#
發表於 05-5-2 22:55 |只看該作者

jujuy 寫道:
hoeve :
Sunny side Kindergarten - No.4 Jordan Road
this school good, but old

THANKS

Any information about this school??
桐桐於9月20日出世 歡迎參觀桐桐的網頁

37#
發表於 05-5-3 22:53 |只看該作者

Hi all mami,

Do you know if YMCA (TST) have any school bus service? I live in Kowloon.  

Thanks!

38#
發表於 05-5-4 10:03 |只看該作者

Yes they do have school bus service but only nearby neighbourhood e.g. Hunghom, kowloon station.  You can contact the office and they can send you details.
Peggy

39#
發表於 05-5-6 22:55 |只看該作者

i applied my daughter for next yr nursery play group of Sunnyside. They only accept child with 2 yr 4months, so she has to wait till January when she is 2 yr 4months old.They said that there will be two admission, one in april and one in sept... so i dun know if my daughter will start in april. If yes, is it true that she will only study from april to june?

Actually, I enrolled my daughter in a local nursery and was accepted already. But I want her to have an English environment, that's why I may shift her to Sunnyside when she is 2yr 4mths old( And the school is near my home) and then switch her back to local school in K1.

I did not really have any intention in getting her to any international junior becoz of its cost and also I am by the locals.  But since, there are something really surprised me about the locals,so I am thinking of getting my daughter to int'l.

May I know how much exactly for an int'l junior?

Ppl said that it is good@ but it is certainly old, as I ?can see it. Anyone has any comments or experience?

40#
發表於 05-5-7 17:37 |只看該作者

我都打算比我囝囝讀國際學校, YMCA是我考慮之一,  成數頗高, 但我想知完成幼稚園後, 小學和中學是否可以直升呢?
‹ 上一主題|下一主題
返回列表
發新帖