搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 Dilemma again! RC or SJS?
查看: 9486|回覆: 51
go

Dilemma again! RC or SJS? [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 07-2-2 12:45 |只看該作者

Dilemma again! RC or SJS?

My son will apply for P1 this Aug, which one will u choose?  Pls comments. I can only choose one; otherwise, he will not be shortlisted for the 1st round interview!

2#
發表於 07-2-2 13:44 |只看該作者

Re: Dilemma again! RC or SJS?

Dear Fattymom,

I think you have got the on-paper and on-web infomation about the two schools. Go to the two schools with your kid, feel them and do some observations, and you and your kid will have more ideas.

Good luck,
inho
該用戶已被刪除

3#
發表於 07-2-2 23:06 |只看該作者

提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

4#
發表於 07-2-3 05:14 |只看該作者

JJMon&Dad 寫道:
Hi Fattymom

I will choice SJS

Dear JJMon&Dad,

Would you please explain why?

inho

5#
發表於 07-2-5 01:09 |只看該作者

If you get foreign passport or your kids are in international kindergartens, then you will hava a higher chance in SJS. Otherwise, it is better to choose RC. Because all ESF schools admission should be based on "need" but not based on "merit".

6#
發表於 07-2-5 12:13 |只看該作者

I had very similar picture years ago. Do you have any backup school in case SJS won't accept your kid ?

7#
發表於 07-2-5 18:48 |只看該作者

Dear Fattymom,

I think you should choose SJS only if your kid is:

a. a foreigner who cannot study in local school
b. a sibling of ESF studuent
c. a student of ESF kindergarten.

Otherwise, just choose RC as you will not get an interview.  SJS will only interview 150 candidates at the beginning to fill up the P1 places.  Most of them are coming from the above categories and 99% will get accepted.

Even if you choose SJS as the 1st priority (you have to declare it in SJS application form), the chance for an interview is very low if your kid is not one of the above.  AND RC will not give you an interview even if you are in the waiting list of SJS untill the interview procedure of SJS is finished.  But by that time, most of the places in RC will be filled up.

But if you choose RC as the 1st priority, SJS will not give you an interview either.

I know that some parents have got stuck in the middle now. That is a terrible and unfair policy, but can'tdo anything.

I think you have also consider JIS too, have you applied? (I have replied you before withanother account name.)

8#
發表於 07-2-5 20:27 |只看該作者

TWMommy 寫道:

I know that some parents have got stuck in the middle now. That is a terrible and unfair policy, but can'tdo anything.

When you said "stuck", did you mean that the places at RC are also all filled up?

9#
發表於 07-2-5 21:27 |只看該作者

No, I mean some kids don't have interview for both SJS and RC now.  SJS is conducting the 1st round interview in  early this month. RC will conduct the 2nd round interview on 2nd March.  If one don't have interview for both schools yet, the chance for admission is relatively low.

10#
發表於 07-2-6 16:26 |只看該作者

TWMommy 寫道:
No, I mean some kids don't have interview for both SJS and RC now.  SJS is conducting the 1st round interview in  early this month. RC will conduct the 2nd round interview on 2nd March.  If one don't have interview for both schools yet, the chance for admission is relatively low.

Thanks. I understand now.

11#
發表於 07-2-6 16:44 |只看該作者

It seems to me that most people seem to prefer SJS over RC. Is RC really not that good? Can you all share your views.

12#
發表於 07-2-6 18:08 |只看該作者

13#
發表於 07-2-6 18:45 |只看該作者

chrisf,
Thanks for your views.
I agree that (1) and (2) are probably the 2 areas that RC is really weaker.
But for (3), a friend told me that there are in fact quite a lot of western students at RC. She is living right opposite to RC at Ma On Shan and has a child studying at SJS at the moment. She told me that both SJS and KJS do not have that many western students nowadays. I am sure the situation is different on HK Island.
Regarding (4), I am thinking, if they increase the time spent on Chinese, do they have to sacrifice some of the time spent in other areas  

14#
發表於 07-2-6 23:46 |只看該作者

Naoko,

I think most people seem to prefer SJS mainly because of its proven academic results and government subvention, which means lower fees and possibly better value for the money paid.  After all, RCHK is new school and we can't see its results yet.  So it's not hard to understand why most parents would favour ESF over RCHK.

Besides, the admission policies of ESF also give people an impression that RCHK is second to SJS. If a child is accepted by SJS but decides to turn to RCHK, RCHK will accepts him right away should there be a vacancy. A child got rejected by SJS will still be considered by RCHK. That's why people feel that SJS is superior.  In fact, it's the difference in admission criteria that is causing such a misconception.

However, there are parents who prefer RCHK.  Those are the ones who want a more balanced Chinese program to maximize their children's Chinese learning in an international school setting. Don't forget, in RCHK, traditional characters are taught. I've got friends who send their kids to RCHK because of this reason.  Even back in the Phoenix time when they had their school in Shamshuipo, they sent their kids all the way from Shatin to Shamshuipo to Phoenix and they wouldn't even consider SJS.  These friends still feel that they have made the right choice and are generally satisfied with RCHK.  While RCHK doesn't get govt subvention and the teachers' pay and benefits might not match those of ESF, the teachers are good and devoted.  The management of RCHK seems to be doing a good job.  On the contrary, because of the pay cut at ESF, there has been some issues of teachers' morale at ESF schools earlier.  Are higher pay teachers necessarily better?  We don't know.  Which school is better?  It depends on your prioirities.

15#
發表於 07-2-7 00:13 |只看該作者

Thanks for detailed sharing!!

The comparison has not finished, since the child will go to secondary: Dilemma again! RC or SC (Shatin College)? Any ideas for it?  

16#
發表於 07-2-7 00:19 |只看該作者

Sorry I just join in. May I know what is SJS stand for ? RC or RCHK is that mean Renaissance College ?

17#
發表於 07-2-7 08:50 |只看該作者

18#
發表於 07-2-7 08:52 |只看該作者

19#
發表於 07-2-7 14:51 |只看該作者