搜索
教育王國 討論區 初中教育 多間中學出10優狀元
樓主: mission
go

多間中學出10優狀元 [複製鏈接]

21#
發表於 05-8-11 23:13 |只看該作者

Re: 多間中學出10優狀元

幾年前我聽講培正的副校長會跟校內成績好的學生說: "其實你們會考多半可以考到 6A 的了, 如果考十科, 得到 10A 固然是很威, 但參加課外活動和比賽的時間少了, 你們自己決定吧!"
我想, 總有些比較低調的名校, 寧願學生均衡發展, 也不會勉強爭取見報.

大媽 寫道:
点解唔比佢地報十科呀
     [quote]
kissie 寫道:
唔好唔記得,好多其他名校不讓其學生考10 科, so 永遠不看見她們出10A! so you always see the same schools year by year.
[/quote]

22#
發表於 05-8-11 23:13 |只看該作者

uncleedward 寫道:

It is not just hearsay. For example, for the 2 girls’ schools in my neighbourhood, Ying Wah Girls’ and St Stephen’s Girls’, students are arranged to take 8 subjects only with only a few taking 9 subjects with school’s approval.

I wonder why they would have such a policy.  If the student is able to take more subjects and is willing to, why not?

23#
發表於 05-8-11 23:18 |只看該作者

emmyfok 寫道:
幾年前我聽講培正的副校長會跟校內成績好的學生說: "其實你們會考多半可以考到 6A 的了, 如果考十科, 得到 10A 固然是很威, 但參加課外活動和比賽的時間少了, 你們自己決定吧!"
我想, 總有些比較低調的名校, 寧願學生均衡發展, 也不會勉強爭取見報.

會考生都十七八歲了,要讀多科定係玩多D課外活動,是否應有決定權呢?而讀十科是否又一定無時間玩活動?(看看今年DGS的10A)

令我不能明白的是,低調高調是學校選擇,定係學生?要為了維持學校的低調,就不讓學生考10科?你看看,港華的10A生也可很低調。

24#
發表於 05-8-12 00:50 |只看該作者

apart from Ying wah girls and st stephen girls,
Maryknoll Convent is another school whom students are arranged to take 9 subjects only. School won't approve students taking 10 subjects even with self-study. -- according to a current MCS student.
so apparently, that's why you won't see 10A in quite a no. of prestigious schools, and will only see the same ones year by year.
but the above named schools produced excellent result in HKCEE/A-level.
uncleedward 寫道:
[quote]
BillyM 寫道:
我相信沒有學校是規定要take10科的,所以take10科的學生都應該有一科要自修。

不鼓勵與不准許是不同的,如果我成績麻麻,校方當然可以「強烈勸諭」我不自修多科。但現在講緊的是名校,點都會有一個半個有能力讀10科嘛,如果我有信心10A,學校點解唔俾?理由何在?其實有無名校真係唔俾take10科?定係只是傳聞?

It is not just hearsay. For example, for the 2 girls’ schools in my neighbourhood, Ying Wah Girls’ and St Stephen’s Girls’, students are arranged to take 8 subjects only with only a few taking 9 subjects with school’s approval.[/quote]

25#
發表於 05-8-16 10:38 |只看該作者

If all the schools can list out the average no. of A , average no. of Credits and average no. of passing rate, it is earier for parents to have better idea to judge their academic level.  

For DBS, its web site  listed out
1 x10A
2 x 9A
4 X 8A

For La Sa,
3 x 10A
1 x 9A
5 x 8A

For St Paul's Co-edu,
4 x 9A
11 x 8A
Average no. of A is 2.13, Average no. of B & C is 4.11

There are no info regarding the average HKCEE results in Queens, HK Wah Yan, DGS on their school nets. But I knew DGS 's last year results of average no. of A is about 2.XX.

It's said that some famous schools manly nuture a few elites to take as many As as possible so as to keep the school 's brand. The rest of students may not be so outstanding.  

26#
發表於 05-8-23 13:55 |只看該作者

Someone asked the question in another post whether an ordinary school could produce a 10A student. This is actually an interesting topic which is worthy of some comments. Since I could not remember where I saw it, I have to hijack this thread for a moment. And since I am going to be away for some time, I may be a bit wordy in my leaving remarks.

Can an "ordinary" school produce 10A students? The answer is: Unlikely.

The quality of some of the students at the 2-tier or 3-tier schools, I believe, can match those at the top schools, but it is unlikely they will produce 10As like their counterparts at the top schools.

The reasons for that are two-fold and both have nothing to do with the intelligence of a student.

The first factor is the environment or what we say in Chinese “土壤”. We have a relatively larger group of bright students in the top schools. They will compete with each other, encourage each other, push each other, and bring out the best from each other.

For example, my elder daughter's (she is going up to F3) inclination is not towards 金庸’s books (one of my favorite authors which I like to introduce to boys who want to improve their Chinese) and therefore I have been introducing other authors like 陳之藩 and 董橋to her. But this year she started reading 金庸 because she knew some of her classmates had already finished all of 金庸's novels. The other day I saw her taking down "The Da Vinci Code" from my bookshelf. I was slightly surprised since I had told her she wouldn’t like the book. She read it because one of her classmates recommended it to her after reading the book. My daughter is a lazy girl and has never been serious towards learning any musical instruments. She danced among piano, violin and cello for a number of years without being good at any. Her attitude changed some months after she went up to the secondary school. There are so many classmates with much higher achievements in music, and upon the encouragement form her cello teacher, she is now practising much more serious with the aim to become a member of the school's orchestra next term.

These small examples are just to show the possible environment you will have in a good school. In an "ordinary" school, if you are seen reading "The Da Vinci Code" or even just "Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince”, you might be mocked as bookish or pretentious. The encouragement and recognition from others, which is essential to push oneself forward, may not be there. My daughters' school is not one particularly pushy on academic performance but you can imagine how the top students at schools like La Salle or DB/GS are pushing each other in taking on HKCEE.

The second factor was "expectation". The top schools all have admirable traditions and have produced a lot of celebrities in their old boys/girls. Pui Ching has produced two Nobel Prize winners. For example among the most powerful ladies in Hong Kong we have Mrs Anson Chan from Sacred Heart, 范徐麗泰 from St Stephen's Girls’, and even the Chinese Government had to pick a less than mediocre Secretary for Justice from a decent Girls' school (St Clare's). These are not accidental happenings. It is just natural that the students at the top schools are told by their teachers that the school has produced a number of famous persons in the past and some of the current students similarly are bound to become as leaders in our community. The parents would also say so to their children. With this expectation internalized, some of the students will be working exceedingly hard toward this aim, even unconsciously.

My younger daughter used to have a low self-image of herself. She lived in the shadow of her elder sister for a long time. My wife and I always joked to each other that it was definitely a small trick played on us by the God that while He allows our elder daughter to have the best parts from both of us, He has not allowed our younger daughter to have even the worst parts from either of us. She used to have an extremely lousy memory, so lousy that my wife had to make up a whole story to make her how to spell "slide" in K3 and practised for a whole evening only to find that she couldn't remember a single alphabet the next morning. The situation did not improve much until she was in P5. She still failed in both Chinese and English in F4. Believe me it is very serious if you take into account of the background of her parents and the time (ie full time) we were spending together with her. We once tried to send her another school and thought very seriously about sending her to 臻美.

Once knowing it is only 9-year compulsory education in Hong Kong from her General Studies, my younger daughter would every now and then say to us she would definitely drop out from school after F3. When we pretended to take her remarks seriously and asked what she would do after that every day, she replied in a as-a-matter-of-fact way that she would become her sister’s housekeeper for her elder sister and be her baby-sitter in future. You could imagine what a self-expectation she was having of herself.

We have kept on telling her about all the good things about her, some true (she draws much better than her sister; she could ride a bike when she was two while her sister could only manage it at the age of three; she could swim in 4 styles 2 years earlier than her sister and many small other clever acts we observed she had performed) and some not necessarily true (she is more intelligent than her sister). We have done many more other things to change her expectation about herself. It worked gradually and one day all of a sudden it clicked, just like that. She now honestly believes, from the casual remarks she is making, she is cleverer than her sister with the latter only slightly better than her in memory.

Last night we went to the fifth annual public performance of my daughters' drama group (which is another deliberate means to develop my younger daughter's confidence in dealing with others and speaking in public). Although our younger daughter was still a lousy performer, we enjoyed her performance particularly, although my elder daughter was the leading lady, because she has improved so much. But still very lousy though, I must add.

After my younger daughter knew that she was able to join her sister in the same secondary school, when asked the old question whether she still considered to drop out after F3, raising her head from the game boy she was playing with, she said embarrassingly, "No la, not after all the pains I put in." You see, she has already developed a new self-expectation of herself.

The same thing can be said of the best students in the top schools. The external expectation will turn into self expectation and this will turn into aspiration for most of the students.

Certainly, there are always exceptions. That is why we have 劉翔.

A word to the teachers of our children: If you believe or hope your students will become the leaders of our community one day, tell them so, and more importantly, treat them accordingly. That is why I felt a bit disheartening when I read some of the comments the EMB's external report made on Ying Wah Girls'. I remember reading an article about DBS and the part I liked most was that the student union has a lot of say in the running of the school, sometimes even to the dislike of the teachers and the principal.

A final little story about myself to end my long-windedness. In the interview for my first job on graduation, the first question I was asked after sitting down was,” What have you done you consider have benefited our community as a whole after last week's budget speech by the Financial Secretary?"

Now you guys can have a break from this opinionated bloke for some weeks.

[168924_10150131508915141_661800140_8106193_6104073_n]
‹ 上一主題|下一主題