發新帖
查看: 5622|回覆: 3
go

IB students to US colleges [複製鏈接]

醒目開學勳章

1#
發表於 10-10-24 01:39 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 acdad 於 10-10-24 00:38 發表
據最近了解, 完成 MYP Year 11 只等如完成 US Grade 10, 完成IB MYP 並不代表中學畢業,如希望以完成 MYP 作一里程碑進修其他海外專上或大學會有問題,其認授性必須完成 DP 才被廣泛接受,  PYP (6)+MYP (5) +DP(2) 全 ...

Taking ESF as an example, ESF students only go to 2 years of kindergarten and start primary at 5 years old which is one year earlier than local school. So students leaves secondary school after finishing IBDP at the same age as local students. Not that they are doing any extra time.

Which school is your child at? Do they have university placement team? Most international schools would arrange for "road shows" of universities (local, UK, US, even Canadian, and Australian etc) at school campus. There are lots of information at those events.

According to my knowledge, a lot of ESF students are entering top US universities.

醒目開學勳章

2#
發表於 10-10-24 05:32 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 acdad 於 10-10-24 03:30 發表
U may say a person can start IB PYP earlier than local schools but the time spent on completing his secondary eduation seems more than other systems if we count DP but not MYP as the completion of sec ...

You have very wrong interpretation of different curriculum.

What I consider is that, after 15 years of pre-u education ( 2 years in kindergarten, 6 years in primary, 7 years in secondary school ), they are spending the same time at school when compared to local students under the new curriculum.

If we are talking about the old curriculum, students need to complete Form 7 to enter a university (not Form 5 as you claimed).

If you are switching curriculum, school advisors usually compare by looking at the age of the student and not the "name" of which year level he is in. For example, if you complete Grade 3 in the US, and move to the UK, you go to Year 5. Not that you have skipped any year, but Year 5 in the US equals to Grade 4 in the US. You can ask any international school to confirm this practice. They have experience in handling students from different curriculum/countries.

Recognition of MYP? If you consider the age of the student, when completing MYP, would be the same as completing Grade 10 in the US/Canada or Form 4 in Hong Kong. So you get the same recognition as you get for a US/Canadian Grade 10 or HK Form 4  student.

No one here is arguing. I am here to correct your misunderstanding or misinterpretation.

醒目開學勳章

3#
發表於 10-10-24 13:58 |顯示全部帖子
How old is your child? Which school is he in at the moment? You seem to know so little about IB propgram.

I think you still did not get my point, did you?

MYP is the equivalent of Form 4.
IBDP is the equivalent of Form 6. (Do not be misled by the name, IBDP is in no way anything similar to post secondary diploma. Completing IBDP is merely completing secondary program.)

After making such mapping (this is the most common mapping international schools use when accepting students from local school), is the picture clearer?

I do not see why you would expect MYP to be the "completion point" of secondary education.

You are too hostile. I was not defending the IB curriculum or saying IB is good. In fact, IB is NOT suitable for everyone. Many people are better off NOT going to IB school.

IB is a very demanding program. You need to be good at everything. Both science and humanities have to be taken in MYP and IBDP. You need to do both sports and arts in MYP and IBDP, not just running in PE or drawing in art class but lots of written work/essay as well. You need at least one "Language A", which equals to the combination of language + literature in the local curriculum. You need to spend lots of time outside class doing services or volunteering work. You need to be a "jack of all trade" and yet "master in everything" too. If you are not one of these people, it is better to stay away from IB.

Most average IBDP students are not setting their eyes on CC or IVE but rather the best universities they can possibly get to. We are talking about Oxford, Princeton, McGill or HKU. Of course, most average students are probably not going to these "top tier" universities, but rather other second tier universities. But again, the initial target would be universities. CC would be merely a backup.

You probably have your own reasons to set your target on CC or IVE. I have lived in Canada and the US. So I know what CC are. I totally understand you concern as to why your child should do the 2 years IBDP if he is going to CC or IVE. In this respect, I suggest that you make enquiries with the schools of your interests on how they "look at the IB curriculum. I have done my own researches with various universities in the US and Canada. As far as I know, most decent US and Canadian universities have clear admission criteria for IBDP students.

Even top tiers universities want good students. They are all extremely friendly to answer your queries. I guess doing a non-local curriculum would require extra work from the parent/school/student. Parents/students need to do their own due diligence and make enquiries.

I have asked many universities to give me admission guidelines. May be you should as well with the CC or IVE of your interest.

Last, if you still have concerns, you might want to choose an international school that provide the US curriculum, of even better simple choose a local school. If you really want to consider an IB school, I suggest you arrange for a school tour and speak to people about your concern. You still have lots of misunderstanding.

[ 本帖最後由 Darth 於 10-10-24 14:11 編輯 ]

醒目開學勳章

4#
發表於 10-10-24 18:03 |顯示全部帖子
I was merely trying to tell you things that you did not know or things that you have missed. And you started to show hostility. Why?

The purpose of asking (and answering) here is to share information. May be I should have kept quiet, leaving you to believe that MYP is the end of secondary school.

I repeated many times, MYP is Form 4. That answered your question. And I thought this was the end of the discussion. I do not understand what is the issue now.

Now you are switching to asking why parents should do due diligence ...?  Good point. Wise move. May be we should all keep quiet and let the children take over BK then.

The disgust is coming back again. Every now and then there are people coming to post comments and when you try to correct their misunderstanding, they are unhappy and show hostility. No wonder this place is so quiet. All other IS parents who know even more than I do did not even bother to reply. They were the wise ones.

Whatever. I have no more interest in this discussion.

Good luck with your pursue.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題
返回列表
發新帖