教育王國 討論區 聖瑪加利男女英文中小學 請問聖瑪加利的備取生入讀機會大嗎?
發新帖
查看: 2870|回覆: 2
go

請問聖瑪加利的備取生入讀機會大嗎? [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 09-6-10 08:08 |顯示全部帖子
Kam118,

I learnt that for 2008-2009 P1, there are quite a number of kids from Learning Habitat.  In that year, the school even sent forms to this kinder.  But not sure whether it is still the case now.

I feel that SMC focuses on the abilities of the kids rather than which kinder they come from.  The invterview covers language abilities, maths concept and topics related to their daily life.  Teachers are very good at observing the strengths and weaknesses of the kids and we found the comments very true.  Just let them be themselves.

Regarding the quality of teachers, we as parents are quite happy with where it is now, though some teachers are relatively green.  However, this applies to every school as there won't be the unanimous standard elsewhere.

The non-Chinese students is a mix of Koreans, Japanese, Indians, Europeans / Americans / Australians.

2#
發表於 09-6-11 12:43 |顯示全部帖子
kam118,

I have not thought through your question re. TSA result in depth.  We select SMC partly because its direct promotion to the secondary section.  Besides, we have confidence on SMC in achieving desirable results.  We still hold the same view on back of my boy's progress in the last 9 months.

If in case you choose SMC and eventually you find the school is not your cup of tea, I think you can still change to other school as long as you find the way to tune your kid to match the criteria of your target school / to bridge the gap, rather than depending on SMC.  My point is you may be, to certain extent, disatisfied with SMC if you think of changing to another school.  It would be rationally conflicting if you rely on a school which you are disatified with to help you achieving your goal.  

原帖由 kam118 於 09-6-10 14:21 發表
Tks to monkeydad & bblaw reply.

May i ask another question: I just want to know more and open for discussion. ( hoping that i did not offence anyone this time)

What do u think abt the TSA results?  ...

3#
發表於 09-6-12 07:39 |顯示全部帖子
kam118,

You had made a very thoughtful consideration indeed.

I would like to share my experience -  my boy used to be very shy and lacking confidence.  He never made his view in the class at the beginning - one of the few in the class.  I heard from the English NET teacher recently that he has started to speak up.  Style of non-local teachers usually encourages participation.

I personally think less homework is better - quality Vs quantity.  I do not agree making the kids learn something by repeatedly doing the writing and exercises.  Besides, if the teachers have less quantitative pressure in producing and marking homework, they would have resources to be more qualitative.

Kids in P1 are encouraged to write 30-50 words story (English) even at the start, regardless of the gramatical mistakes made.  My boy now can finish his story writing during the class Vs bringing back home in the last 2 semesters.  This is an encouraging sign of improvement.  I quote this to point out that SMC has its own way to achieve its goal, given the lesser extent of homework.

I have projected the development of my boy based on his progress made in the past months, I personally do not think there would be significant and material difference in what he would have learnt in a traditional school from pure academic perspective.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題