用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
查看: 12611|回覆: 47
go

HKIS [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 14-5-20 19:06 |只看該作者 |倒序瀏覽 |打印
We just got an offer from HKIS Reception One. It's not an easy decision though. Really appreciate it if parents on this forum could provide some insights. We have two concerns. 1. HKIS's Chinese program. How is it compared to other IS? How well will the students be able to read and write Chinese? 2. HKIS is an expensive school. Are we getting what we are paying for? What are the advantages of getting into the school? what strengths the school processes that justify its high tuition? Many thanks!
   3    0    0    0

2#
發表於 14-5-21 18:54 |只看該作者

回覆:sh00 的帖子

The campus and facilities are excellent. Besides, the profile of the family background and the network in the future absolutely is a plus!

3#
發表於 14-5-22 00:17 |只看該作者
thank! does anyone know about the qualities of teachers?

4#
發表於 14-5-22 02:01 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 jolalee 於 14-5-22 02:05 編輯

Congratulations! It is a strong school. I know a mother whose son graduated from HKIS. It is the rival school with CIS, and they claimed the Chinese is comparable between the two (several years back, that is; I believe CIS has upped their game re Chinese the past few years). Academically it should be one of the strongest in HK because the graduates profile is excellent, going into top universities in the US (I believe it runs the American curriculum). Yes, the connections received should be good too; and it was ranked #1 in top ten private Int'l school although the list is a bit dated now (didn't rank CIS back then) http://www.at0086.com/rank/en-us/20080129210013968.html

5#
發表於 14-5-22 08:22 |只看該作者

引用:+本帖最後由+jolalee+於+14-5-22+02:05+編

原帖由 jolalee 於 14-05-22 發表
本帖最後由 jolalee 於 14-5-22 02:05 編輯

Congratulations! It is a strong school. I know a mother  ...
Agree. A big congratulations to you. Really difficult to get in. Are you an Ivey League graduate?

6#
發表於 14-5-22 09:53 |只看該作者
回覆 jolalee 的帖子

The top 10 ranking is astonishing!

7#
發表於 14-5-22 13:40 |只看該作者
It is an excellent school, esp for the senior high school level, the school is very resourceful in placement with US universities. However, Chinese level is relative weak, as I remember they only offer 40mins*2 per week at age 4/5 level. Kids would mainly speak to each other in English. Other considerations may include it is regilious school, and also it has more expat community (which may be perceived as plus or minus by different parents).

8#
發表於 14-5-22 15:25 |只看該作者
Thank you, everyone, for your input! Really appreciate it!
re hkparent: my partner has a postgraduate degree from an Ivy League university.

what is the reasonable percentage educational expenses should account for in the overall household income? We know education in HK cost money. And we are willing to pay for our child's education. But we want to keep it managable.

9#
發表於 14-5-22 18:30 |只看該作者

引用:Thank+you,+everyone,+for+your+input!+Rea

原帖由 sh00 於 14-05-22 發表
Thank you, everyone, for your input! Really appreciate it!
re hkparent: my partner has a postgraduat ...
Any ratio you are willing to spend as long as you can save enough money for the child's overseas study in future and your retirement etc, and you can still maintain a reasonable lifestyle with annual travel etc.

10#
發表於 14-5-22 20:08 |只看該作者
I don't know what to say. It is  the only international school in HK that my hubby prohibited  my daughter to go.   Please don't mind his opinions. He did hang out with those teachers and students long ago (nearly 40years ago). He saw something very bad there at that time.

點評

jolalee  Yes, for sh00's question she does know the cons side of HKIS, hence she is only asking about the strengths (and therefore i only mentioned about the strengths).  發表於 14-5-22 22:39

11#
發表於 14-5-22 22:40 |只看該作者
slamai 發表於 14-5-22 09:53
回覆 jolalee 的帖子

The top 10 ranking is astonishing!
It is a bit dated. In which ways do you find it astonishing?

12#
發表於 14-5-22 22:49 |只看該作者
回覆 jolalee 的帖子

I have the view same as yours.

13#
發表於 14-5-22 22:51 |只看該作者
回覆 sh00 的帖子

Congratulation! So long as you can afford it, you will have the value back.

14#
發表於 14-5-22 23:36 |只看該作者
annie40 發表於 14-5-22 20:08
I don't know what to say. It is  the only international school in HK that my hubby prohibited  my da ...
Really sorry to hear about this. It must be some kind of traumatic experience. Parents only want the best for their children. Your husband must have enough personal reasons to decide against the school. If you don't mind, can you say in general terms what was it that bothered your husband so much? Was it about student conduct? or the conduct of the faculty? was it an individual case or a wide-spread phenomenon? Did the school authorities deal with the problem promptly and impartially? I realised the issue might be kind of private. So feel free to share as much or as little as what makes you comfortable. Your husband is an alumni of HKIS, right?

15#
發表於 14-5-23 11:05 |只看該作者
回覆 jolalee 的帖子

One example is the ranking of GSIS being No.9 which I cannot figure out the criteria adopted in ranking the schools.

點評

jolalee  Hm, you're right. Even back in 2007 GSIS should rank higher. Never paid much attention to it, only as a reference. When I found it years ago I didn't know much about HK schools at all   發表於 14-5-23 11:18

16#
發表於 14-5-23 12:02 |只看該作者

引用:回覆+jolalee+的帖子 One+example+is+the+

原帖由 slamai 於 14-05-23 發表
回覆 jolalee 的帖子

One example is the ranking of GSIS being No.9 which I cannot figure out the cri ...
GSIS should be top 3. What is Concordia?

17#
發表於 14-5-23 14:19 |只看該作者
hkparent 發表於 14-5-23 12:02
GSIS should be top 3. What is Concordia?
Yes i agree. Never heard of Concordia myself. I think it's secondary school only.

18#
發表於 14-5-23 23:40 |只看該作者
Nearly all IS receptions are alright in HK. It would be fine.

The stuff my husband saw were in high school , drugs, sex ,woman  teacher seduced teenager boys etc.  They were crimes, but seemed a norm within American circle at that time.  

1. HKIS's Chinese program. How is it compared to other IS?
-- below average in comparison with ESF, and others. The Chinese Head Teacher  was a Taiwanese mom several years ago . I don't know now.
How well will the students be able to read and write Chinese?
answer Refer to above.
2. HKIS is an expensive school. Are we getting what we are paying for? ---Depends on what you want
What are the advantages of getting into the school?
-I don't know.
what strengths the school processes that justify its high tuition?
-could be network on good side and bad side.

Just remembered a friend was kind of suppler for HKIS. After the business conclusion, there was a PTA mom asking for a  rebate.  See , rich people really know how to grap all chances to earn money .  My friend refused, walked away, and never deal with them.

Is the prmiray still at Repulse Bay?. If so, the facilities would not as good as secondary in Red Hill.

19#
發表於 14-5-23 23:56 |只看該作者
回覆 sh00 的帖子

Things have been changed recently. The fierce competition for a place suggests that it is a very popular school and trusted by the parents. It is fair to say that drugs and sex problems have been reported in newspaper for the past few years. However I think such problems also exist in other IS and local elite schools. After all, school is an epitome of the society.
According to my knowledge, the Chinese program of HKIS is fine. They offer 2 streams of Chinese program's. If you can follow their near native speaker program, the standard is comparable to the local standard.

20#
發表於 14-5-24 00:04 |只看該作者
回覆 sh00 的帖子

The liberal art styled education is complemented by a lot of opportunities (ECA) offered to the students. The school fee is high. However if you can make use of the opportunities, you will have the value back. You will be impressed by their annual college placements of the students.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題