用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 Do ICS reject unsuccessful candidates with same reas ...
樓主: WNoahLam
go

Do ICS reject unsuccessful candidates with same reason ? [複製鏈接]

61#
發表於 14-2-8 12:28 |只看該作者

回覆:Do ICS reject unsuccessful candidates with same reason

投訴似乎有點over the top, 雖然明白你的不滿,但你投訴完佢對你自己應該冇乜好處,反而投訴過程可能令你更激心。不如留起你的精力及時間資源去報一些更好的學校吧。

62#
發表於 14-2-8 12:33 |只看該作者

引用:投訴似乎有點over+the+top,+雖然明白你的不

原帖由 紅紅 於 14-02-08 發表
投訴似乎有點over the top, 雖然明白你的不滿,但你投訴完佢對你自己應該冇乜好處,反而投訴過程可能令你更 ...
同意,應該考慮向學校appeal而不是去消委會投訴!

63#
發表於 14-2-8 12:59 |只看該作者
樓主投訴可能系講,比左報名費無得in果d。

64#
發表於 14-2-8 13:05 |只看該作者
It's never about the result so I am not seeking for appeal. I can perfectly accept failure as this is also the experience I would like my boy to learn from it. With the whole experience with ICS, I just get shocked by their attitude and mentality 1) they accepted applications (charging $1000) over their affordable capacity 2) they charged $700 for testing but they don't bother to tell the detail or compile a more professional report
If the society today agree a higher requirement should apply to commercial (transparency, avoid misleading) educational organization should not be an exemption

65#
發表於 14-2-8 14:01 |只看該作者

回覆:WNoahLam 的帖子

Gsis charged 4300 for admission interview this yr. last yr 3800.  What they reported bk r the same wordings as Ics. The letter to my fd is the same so they hv a template too. We r not native but our kids hv a gd standard of eng. I think if the school has no intention to take non native might as well simply reject our applications in the first stance. But this is reality. We all need to maximize the chance to get into gd schools. So the games goes on. No matter how unfair it seems. I empathize ur anger but I don't think the school will change because they hv so many choices now. Likewise to many other schools.

66#
發表於 14-2-8 15:18 |只看該作者
It's not just the anger. My boy told me he like the school and I explained to him we will find another school. And then he asked why he can't go. I told him I will try my best to find out the answer and never give up when u think it's the right thing to do
This morning, when we watched cartoon together, one of the character is crying cuz he can't get something. My boy said to the TV "try again, don't give up" and then he turn his head to me " am I right, Dad?"
I know finally i can't change much but i just want to set as an example to him.

67#
發表於 14-2-8 16:01 |只看該作者
Some non natives cannot get in does not mean they do not take in non natives.  There are a lot of non natives in GSIS.  Nobody really know what they are looking for but they have their standard.  If you want to know more details, you should ask the admission lady.  

68#
發表於 14-2-8 16:15 |只看該作者

I got the same rejection letter last year and I felt so angry . Being a christian school, I am so surprised that they comment a kid so harsh and mean.

69#
發表於 14-2-8 16:28 |只看該作者

I got the rejection letter and I got the same feeling as u. What kind of christian school is that!!!!!!!
So Mean and Rude and I never get this kind of letter before.
On the letter, it mentioned they sincerely value my child as a gift from God,we regret to inform u that my son's current english skills and overall performance would make it challenging for him to flourish and thrive at ICS with the amount of support they could offer.

He finally got to another christian international school and also have very good schools offer.

70#
發表於 14-2-8 17:57 |只看該作者
To Drama kid: I wrote to ICS right after I received their letter. No surprise no response from them at all

71#
發表於 14-2-8 19:06 |只看該作者
Is "English has not met required admission standard" bad wording? What is wrong with this phrase? To me, it is straight forward and truthful. When I received the same letter from ICS last year, my kid applying for R1, I was hurt, too, but not because of the wording but the fact that my precious kid was "rejected". I happened to have a chance to talk to admissions and was told exactly what had happened and how my kid responded during the interview. It was fair enough to me. I have a feeling that 樓主 expected a personalised report for every applicant. But the reality is that admission decision is not a school term report. Can a school know an applicant well enough to give a more detailed report? It is down to a yes or no decision.

I just don't understand why and how the school was RUDE?

點評

shadeslayer  Agree.  Nothing wrong with that.  I guess parents felt that they are paying customers and they deserve something better, like a personalized report.  Typical.  發表於 14-2-8 21:23

72#
發表於 14-2-8 19:28 |只看該作者

引用:Is+"English+has+not+met+required+admissi

原帖由 hay.hay.ma. 於 14-02-08 發表
Is "English has not met required admission standard" bad wording? What is wrong with this phrase? To ...
Exactly!

73#
發表於 14-2-8 20:00 |只看該作者
回覆 WNoahLam 的帖子

Please clam down.  I was responding to musicien

74#
發表於 14-2-8 23:29 |只看該作者
回覆 nintendo 的帖子

No one would expect to have prompt advancement of a languge in just a few weeks.

Summer school is not a preliminary test for entrance test, It 's just an activity in the Summer for kids and have a chance to know something about the school.  When the kids come to the school for entrance test, they may settle down a little bit better.  ICS also recruits the senior year students as assistants.  Parents may observe more.

75#
發表於 14-2-8 23:57 |只看該作者

引用:Is+"English+has+not+met+required+admissi

原帖由 hay.hay.ma. 於 14-02-08 發表
Is "English has not met required admission standard" bad wording? What is wrong with this phrase? To ...
I agree with hay.hay.ma. Personally I don't see the comment on the letter has anything that contradicts the religious background of the school. If one thinks that Christian schools should be non-selective / 有教無類, I guess admission interviews shouldn't have existed at all. Once the application is submitted, such game is totally within the schools' discretion. Further, there are just too many variables in an interview that could affect the child's performance.

76#
發表於 14-2-9 03:31 |只看該作者
I could only say : including a reason for rejection in the letter is a very 'immature' practice and you could even say 'naive'...

77#
發表於 14-2-9 10:48 |只看該作者
The respond from the school reflect their integrity. The truth is they have no more space to offer despite the test result. Imagine if u being laid off from your company because downsizing, in the termination letter they said "due to your poor performance"...
Will u still think it's immature to ask for a genuine answer?

I started this discussion just want to prove ICS gave all rejected candidates with the same reason for my further action cuz They didn't respond to me. From what I heard so far they really used standard template. Thanks for everyone who shared your view/information

78#
發表於 14-2-9 11:44 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 shadeslayer 於 14-2-9 11:45 編輯
WNoahLam 發表於 14-2-9 10:48
The respond from the school reflect their integrity. The truth is they have no more space to offer d ...

What is wrong with standard templates?  You are saying this as though it is seriously wrong.
Obviously the school received a lot of applications.  Among those they cannot admit, there are different types, according to their selection criteria, like

- English is not strong enough
- Child is not proactive enough
- Cognitive development is not good enough
- Parents not Christian
- a combination of the above
(I made them all up)

If they use a number of templates for replying parents, is there anything wrong?  What does that have to do with integrity?

Just because they don't have enough places does not mean the real reason for your son's rejection was not English.   It was an interview, they don't owe you a detailed evaluation report of your child's development.

PS.  I have nothing to do with ICS and none of my friends and family's children study in ICS.

點評

JMM  very well said.  Parents could never know how their kids performed over the interview and written tests (if any).  Also, I believe parents interview also counts....in this case, no wonder.......  發表於 14-2-9 16:43
The more bizzare a thing is, the less mysterious it proves to be.

79#
發表於 14-2-9 14:21 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 Artie 於 14-2-9 14:29 編輯

我自己一向都不是健談的人,尤其對住陌生人,有次和朋友去 shopping,售貨員推銷,我在聽,朋友和售貨員就有問有答,售貨員就誤以為我是外國回來香港的金山亞毛,以為我聽不懂廣東話,朋友笑說她自己才是外地人 (新加坡人來香港定居)。

小朋友情緒很難說,再健談的孩子,也可能突然唔想多說,惹來誤會。再精靈醒目的小朋友,考學校也有可能失手。

希望學校對每個學生都出一份 "獨特" 的 reject letter 是不是有點要求過高?現在的學校,動不動都申請者過千,要向每個考生給評語,應該沒可能,用 template  是正路。至於 application fees 和 test fees,我相信學校是明碼實價。

ps 女兒最近考大學,我們笑說,大學要多造幾個 紅色 "reject"  印。人生漫漫長路。

點評

Jane1983  睇得開,得到更多!  發表於 14-2-9 17:13

80#
發表於 14-2-9 16:56 |只看該作者
Artie 發表於 14-2-9 14:21
我自己一向都不是健談的人,尤其對住陌生人,有次和朋友去 shopping,售貨員推銷,我在聽,朋友和售貨員就 ...

我的理解是,從頭到底,樓主都是對自己小孩的英語能力信心十足(到底如何define native speaker,見仁見智,平常跟外傭說英語是否就是native?當然,我不是指樓主小孩,樓主小孩可能真是native speaker!)但是native speaker就是否代表面試/筆試表現一定很好?面試是光考口語的嗎?小孩臨場表現也很重要的,態度,應對能力,臨場反應等等。再者,家長有跟admission officer面談的嗎?有的話,我相信這個也會有丁點影響的。正如樓上部分人所說,我覺得單看reject的理由和wording,一點兒都沒有問題。只不過是樓主可能接受不了小孩被批為“英語能力未達學校要求”這個“事實”(“事實”我是指面試時的表現!)以上純為個人猜測,希望樓主不要介意並可以盡快let go and move forward.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題