搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 ESF中文程度
樓主: nicolelaiyy
go

ESF中文程度 [複製鏈接]

21#
發表於 15-6-1 15:14 |只看該作者
回覆 Activehealth 的帖子

The momentum of those QBS students who are good in Chinese is difficult to maintain in view of only 2 Chinese lessons per week in ESF secondary schools.

22#
發表於 15-6-1 19:16 |只看該作者
回覆 slamai 的帖子

Thanks for the tip.
I know, as they are starting a third language which is French or Spanish in Year 7, it's hard to fit in more Chinese lessons in their curriculum.

I think I may get my boy to continue his private Chinese lessons outside when he gets to South Island School.

23#
發表於 15-6-1 19:58 |只看該作者
回覆 shadeslayer 的帖子

I think that the Chinese teachers will be laughing their heads off if the playground language in ESF can be 80% PTH, it means that they are doing a miraculous job. It's their dream come true!
Many of the non Chinese students knew little or nothing about PTH before they entered ESF.

If you have read my post carefully, you would have noticed that I said "大多pathway 3的學生家里是說普通話"but not in other pathways. Usually only the top 1/4 of all students can manage to get into pathway 3.

Schools cannot control the language mixture in the playground for sure. How can they do so, especially when they have such a big difference in Chinese proficiency among the 3 pathways? Pathway 3 students are native or near-native speakers while the pathway 1 student may be Brit fresh from the UK who does not know Chinese at all.
Do you think that the kids will be stupid enough to try to communicate with each other in PTH in this case?

English is definitely the dominant playground language even within the ethnic Chinese group. That's why the school has to promote usage of PTH in the playground, so kids who do not speak PTH otherwise have a chance to practice what they have learned. After all it's ESF,  kids are most comfortable in English. Especially now they interview parents in the selection process, priority would definitely be given to kids from English speaking families. If parents (both, not just one) do not speak good English in the interview, kids may have minimal chance of getting in.

24#
發表於 15-6-1 20:38 |只看該作者
回覆 shadeslayer 的帖子

My son's school allows the children to communicate in any language and holds mother tongue days to celebrate different languages spoken by different children. Personally I think it's great and the children's cultural background are respected.   Children are supposed to be playing and relaxing at play time, so why force them to speak in a certain language.  When you're on your lunch break, I'm pretty sure you don't want to think about your work stuff too, right?
The 'E' in ESF means English and all lessons are taught in English, except Chinese, and all children are expected to speak English in class.  I think this is more than enough for me

25#
發表於 15-6-2 00:07 |只看該作者
ESF cannot choose students according to ethnicity. There are many ethnic chinese students that hold a foreign passport, and they qualify to be considered "non-local". So it is not surprising that there are that many ethnic chinese students in ESF.

26#
發表於 15-6-2 10:54 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 HulkBuster 於 16-2-16 23:03 編輯

Deleted
‹ 上一主題|下一主題
返回列表
發新帖