搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 RC waiting list
發新帖
查看: 6707|回覆: 6
go

RC waiting list [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 17-3-8 02:36 |顯示全部帖子
RC "over offered"? This is the first time I hear of this rumour and it is most probably just that, a rumour.

When there are 800 applicants competing for 180 Y1 places, there is simply no need to "over offer" because there is no chance that the 180 places would not be filled. After the first round is over and some people have declined their offers, RC will just offer to those on the reserve list and eventually to those on the wait list, there is no lack of eager candidates.

2#
發表於 17-3-8 17:34 |顯示全部帖子
raccoonmy 發表於 17-3-8 17:21
回覆 大當家 的帖子

Of course, we had interview and we are given an "offered" but a place can't be c ...
RC tend to use unusual wording in their communications. A few years ago my daughter received a "formal OFFER for a place on the waiting list", those were their exact words :)

3#
發表於 17-3-8 19:55 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 FattyDaddy 於 17-3-8 19:56 編輯
Artie 發表於 17-3-8 17:56
With caps? Interesting.
So what were the wordings they used for the actual offer of admission/acce ...

Haha, no, the CAPS was my exaggeration :)
OK I dug up RC's letter from a few years back and following is their actual wording, complete with the formatting they used (i.e. italic / bold / underline) ...

"We genuinely regret that a school place is not currently available at this time. We are, however, pleased to advice you that we are formally offering your child a place on the wait list for the 2014 - 2015 academic year. Please be aware that we cannot guarantee that a place will become available."

I have no idea what wording they would use for an actual offer of admission.

4#
發表於 17-3-8 20:42 |顯示全部帖子
Radiomama 發表於 17-3-8 20:25
Years ago, my son's offering letter is--

'We are pleased to confirm that we are able to offer xxx  ...
Thanks, I guess this rumour of RC "over offering" is a result of RC's somewhat liberal use of the word "offer" :)
"formally offering a place on the wait list" is not really an offer in the normal sense.

5#
發表於 17-3-8 21:02 |顯示全部帖子
LuckySesame 發表於 17-3-8 20:47
I find the idea of over-offering intriguing.. it makes sense in a way, but can it really be true?
Given that the number of applicants is 4 times the number of available places, there is no chance of places not being filled, so what is there to gain by over offering? The only benefit is they might fill the places sooner, but they would run the risk of candidates accepting and paying deposit for places they don't have.
A school is not like an airline where overbooking is part of usual business. If there are more passengers than there are seats, the airline simply offer some incentive or compensation to those who are willing to take the next flight, but a school can't tell a candidate to come back next year to start Y1 :)

點評

LuckySesame  yes agreed :)  發表於 17-3-8 21:35

6#
發表於 17-3-8 22:57 |顯示全部帖子
Shuidudu 發表於 17-3-8 22:13
we have been told by admission they over offered. So even the no. 1 on the waitlist may not get a place after first round offer deadline ...
I guess what they really mean by "over offered" is for the 180 available places they have made 180 real offers which ask for deposit to secure a place, plus a number of "offers" for places on their reserve list, these aren't really offers but RC just like to call them that.

If RC had made more than 180 real offers, then they could get themselves into big trouble if more than 180 accept and pay deposit, how would RC deal with the extra children? If RC turn these children down with some excuse I'm sure the parents will sue RC.

7#
發表於 17-3-9 00:20 |顯示全部帖子
hong0706 發表於 17-3-9 00:05
What I mean by offers are really offers. There is no reserve list in RC ...
So replace "reserve list" with "wait list". A few years ago I did receive an "offer" from RC for a place on their wait list, that's how they worded it :)

Anyway, we are just guessing what the real situation is since RC is not disclosing much, I truly hope they won't get into the embarrassing situation of not having enough places for children who have accepted and paid, I believe it is not a small sum either, something like $80k.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題
返回列表
發新帖