搜索
發新帖
查看: 12672|回覆: 9
go

HKIS [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 14-5-22 02:01 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 jolalee 於 14-5-22 02:05 編輯

Congratulations! It is a strong school. I know a mother whose son graduated from HKIS. It is the rival school with CIS, and they claimed the Chinese is comparable between the two (several years back, that is; I believe CIS has upped their game re Chinese the past few years). Academically it should be one of the strongest in HK because the graduates profile is excellent, going into top universities in the US (I believe it runs the American curriculum). Yes, the connections received should be good too; and it was ranked #1 in top ten private Int'l school although the list is a bit dated now (didn't rank CIS back then) http://www.at0086.com/rank/en-us/20080129210013968.html

2#
發表於 14-5-22 22:40 |顯示全部帖子
slamai 發表於 14-5-22 09:53
回覆 jolalee 的帖子

The top 10 ranking is astonishing!
It is a bit dated. In which ways do you find it astonishing?

3#
發表於 14-5-23 14:19 |顯示全部帖子
hkparent 發表於 14-5-23 12:02
GSIS should be top 3. What is Concordia?
Yes i agree. Never heard of Concordia myself. I think it's secondary school only.

4#
發表於 14-5-25 00:41 |顯示全部帖子
Since we're on this topic, sh00 i hope you don't mind me hijacking a bit of space to ask a question :D  Between CDNIS & HKIS, overall how should one choose if the main criteria are: 1) Academics  2) Chinese program  3) Character building [in that order of importance]

My son got CDNIS Reception this year and we accepted the offer already. Given my little bean is November born, he is not old enough to sit the interview for HKIS Reception this year. I've already submitted the application (along with the app fee!), so naturally he should have a chance at the HKIS interview next year. I even thought about skipping it now that my son got into a fair school, but then, it's already been paid for and HKIS does have good Uni placements , plus he will be one of the older child (which i prefer) instead of being one of the youngest. Should i just let him do the interview anyway next year? and if he is lucky enough to get in, is HKIS worth a switch from CDNIS?

5#
發表於 14-5-25 17:43 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 Shootastar 的帖子

Actually, CDNIS runs the full IB program: PYP - MYP - IB while giving the graduates dual certificates - OSSD & IB. I have my doubts about PYP & MYP, not sure if they are academically solid enough as a prep for the rigorous IB level, although I know the association is improving the MYP program as we speak.
I am not as familiar with the American curriculum, but I heard it's pretty solid. I was raised on the Canadian curriculum and obtained the OSSD & OAC myself, so having my child obtaining the OSSD would be comfortable for me. Some European expats I talked to thinks I am worrying too much, that kids in Scandinavia doesn't start school until age 7 and they all do well academically at tertiary education.

Anyhow I think both curriculums are fine, so it's more a comparison between schools.

6#
發表於 14-5-25 23:30 |顯示全部帖子
bobbycheung 發表於 14-5-25 22:52
回覆 Shootastar 的帖子

Shootastar
Do you think similar situations happens at HKA & GSIS? We heard that many CIS parents made obscene "contributions" in elite institutions too to ensure their kids get into those schools....

7#
發表於 14-5-25 23:47 |顯示全部帖子
sh00 發表於 14-5-25 20:44
回覆 jolalee 的帖子

I think you should go to the interview to have a feel of the school. You've alr ...
I was doing so many essay type questionnaires for so many school applications in one go that I've forgotten which school asked what questions LOL, but you're right, since I've done so much already (that's before my boy got the CDNIS offer) we may as well go though with the interview and get a good feel of the school.
In terms of class pet however, I wouldn't judge a school based on them. Yes my son's Montessori school had giant fat silk worms too and the school is great, but another "elite local kindergarten" we once visit has quite a few bunny rabbits as class pets and honestly that school is pretty crappy.  Anyhow it's great for kids to learn about life cycles and taking care of the living world around them.

點評

sh00  OK, now I admit I think those squirmy little things are endearing because they evoked my childhood memories. I used to have so many of them in the house that my usually lax parents called "pests."   發表於 14-5-26 00:04

8#
發表於 14-5-26 10:29 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 wiman 的帖子

I guess i can help answer the CDNIS one:
I am not sure exactly hom many applications CDNIS has this year for Reception, but most probably somewhere between HKIS & CIS (400-800). They shortlist and interview under 300 potential applicants from that. 80 seats are available at Reception, 40 at Pre-reception (but even parents with sibling priority finds it hard to get into pre-reception due to the limited spots) so the best bet is still Reception. I know many applicants holding Cdn passports cannot get a spot, so the competition is quite fierce.

Given CDNIS & CIS has 105 & 108 students respectively by secondary graduation, i am guessing there's another minor mass intake of 20-30 students besides the mass one at Reception, probably whist entering primary or secondary? Anyone who can enlighten us about this?

9#
發表於 14-5-26 14:49 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 foolish.mom 的帖子

Thanks for the info! Just wondering why student going to Hangzhou at year 10 will free up space for the whole secondary school, i mean they will return to HK after a year. Are you referring to the amount of physical classroom space?

10#
發表於 14-5-26 16:18 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 Shootastar 的帖子

Do you mean the small percentage of parents actually studied in an Ivy League/ Oxbridge school? True enough, but what about donation to schools? They don't have to be an alumni to donate...
‹ 上一主題|下一主題