搜索
教育王國 討論區 小學雜談 想由蔡繼有轉去St Margaret's School
發新帖
查看: 6721|回覆: 1
go

想由蔡繼有轉去St Margaret's School [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 07-7-20 04:42 |顯示全部帖子
I might not be in the best position to comment on student standard as I've been a CKY parent for only a year.  Here're my observations:

First, it seems to me that CKY is quite a good school IF the student really loves learning, say, by reading or even watching educational videos, and somehow (thru his parents or classmates) develops an interest and initiative to learn.  This principle should hold for a 6-year-old in general.  However if the kid simply enjoys slacking around, he's likely to find himself lagging behind his peer, esp after 2 or 3 years.

Second, CKY encourages interactive classroom which is conducive to learning.  When a Y1 student pointed out that arachnids consist of two body parts instead of 3 (as for insects), the teacher was quick to acknowledge the mistake made in the textbook/worksheet.  Peer group influence also facilitates learning more.  A parent once shared her experience of witnessing her kid turning from a lazy reader to a book lover in six months - he was competing with his classmates in finishing a fiction series.

Third, to be honest, CKY does not set too high a requirement on lower grades (Y1-2). I guess few kids would suffer the hard feeling of failure.  

Fourth, sorry to say that I only take note of the good ones - someY3 students are already reading the Harry Potter series, and theperformers (guess they're in Y3-6) of the musical at the last schoolconcert did impress me with their exceptional presentations.  

Last but not least, parents of upper years tell me that there is quite a gap among students.  Some underperformers are asked to repeat.  In fact, I've heard of cases where the kid needed to repeat when switching to CKY.  Guess these are some kind of remedial measures for those in need.  I dare not portray too rosy a picture for prospective parents.  Perhaps some other parents could chip in to give a more balanced point of view.

By the way, would a CKY dropout really find St. Magaret's school a good haven?

2#
發表於 07-7-23 11:43 |顯示全部帖子
Venice, It's understandable you were upset with the teacher's attitude in your case.  Your kid seems to be comparatively weak in spoken English.  It's good that the teacher did alert you of your kid's weaknesses, but I also find her suggestion of promoting your kid to Y3 on a 'trial' basis unsettling.  Perhaps you'd need to talk to other (senior) teachers to sort out the various options and prepare for Plan B if things take a wrong turn.  

By the way, how do you find your kid doing in the past 10 month?  Was your kid enjoying school?  It could be a daunting job finding a perfect-matching school for a kid.  But changing school every year might not do much good to a kid too.

Fair to say that you're not alone in finding CKY not their cup of tea.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題