搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 GSIS vs KCIS
發新帖
查看: 10988|回覆: 5
go

GSIS vs KCIS [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 09-6-30 16:12 |顯示全部帖子
I like the pratice of KCIS delivering a strong Putonghua programme.  Just one question. Do KCIS pupils learn Putonghua as a native language, second language or foreign language?

原帖由 Pianokc 於 09-6-30 01:02 發表
I thought this game was over and done with for my daughter and I.

Ok, like to hear from parents of both schools.

GSIS and KCIS- which one would you choose for your child?

Factors important to me:

2#
發表於 09-6-30 16:48 |顯示全部帖子
This is a discussion on GSIS vs KCIS.  Why did you bring up KCS?

It is certainly not wise to choose a IS solely based on a Chinese programme.  But it could be one of the important factors to consider for parents.

All parents do not want their kids to ignore Putonghua.  As you mentioned, the "final Chinese standard a student studying in IS is mainly depended on the student's own capability as well as his/her family support and expectation in Chinese learning."    In case of a parent preferring a more balanced bilingual capability, KCIS could be a good choice.

原帖由 wisekid2007 於 09-6-30 16:30 發表
We are talking about KCIS but not KCS. It is 100% sure KCIS teaches Chinese (or you mean Putonghua) as a second or foreign lanugage, just like most of other ISs. In fact, you can't find the difference ...

3#
發表於 09-6-30 17:18 |顯示全部帖子
You can take my question literally, or see it as a contrast to different teaching approach in HK.

I reckon parents value contrast and difference to figure out what fits our diversified educational needs.  That's why we keep on coming back for information, rather than adopting a go-and-see-for yourself approach.

I have no objection to your point that "in upper primary and secondar in most of the IS are more or less the same."  It's just that linguistics and pedagogy studies tell us that learning a language at a young age makes a crucial difference to a learner's proficiency.  I guess KCIS has a niche advantage to suit some parents needs.

原帖由 wisekid2007 於 09-6-30 16:59 發表
I bring up KCS because of your STRANGE question: Do KCIS pupils learn Putonghua as a native language, second language or foreign language?

How can an international school in HK will teach Chinese as  ...

4#
發表於 09-6-30 17:38 |顯示全部帖子
I am not against GSIS.  It should have its merits.  I only want to find out the relative advantages of different schools.  

Here I found another commonality between us.  I also believe that there are better choices other than KCIS for some parents, not all parents.  Also I have to reiterate that I reckon that Chinese curriculum could be one of the important factor.  I emphazied the potential importancy, not urgency nor a supremacy.

Btw, when linguistists say young, they mean younger than what you have mentioned.

原帖由 wisekid2007 於 09-6-30 17:26 發表
***It's just that linguistics and pedagogy studies tell us that learning a language at a young age makes a crucial difference to a learner's proficiency.  I guess KCIS has a niche advantage to suit so ...

5#
發表於 09-6-30 18:02 |顯示全部帖子
I also thank you for your sharing the opinions of yours and other IS parents.

原帖由 wisekid2007 於 09-6-30 17:54 發表
I respect you have your own view. I am also just expressing my views although not everyone will agree with me.

I repeat here my view again and again as I see there are so many parents consider the i ...

6#
發表於 09-7-7 18:25 |顯示全部帖子
Somehow our dicussion goes off track.  The caption is GSIS vs KCIS.  Why don't we start another topic to pursue it? Or join the existing one?

原帖由 wisekid2007 於 09-7-7 14:21 發表
Hi nintendo,

You have mentioned before that you have relatives'/friends'  kids studying in DGJS and you found there is a distortion of the values that is not acceptable.

Please consider to share wi ...
‹ 上一主題|下一主題