教育王國 討論區 海外留學 Education system in Canada
發新帖
查看: 1859|回覆: 2
go

Education system in Canada [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 06-12-11 02:22 |只看該作者

Education system in Canada

There is another forum has discussed about the education in Canada and I have cut and paste some here.

http://www.discovervancouver.com
topic: Education System In Canada

------------------------------------------------------

Actually education in Canada has started to go downhill last few years,in some schools teachers are not allowed to fail students because apparently failing takes away a students confidence,pretty stupid eh but true.If a student gets 40% his/her mark must be boosted up to at least 50% which is just passing.To me it is doing more damage then good to students because this means by the time a student graduates,he/she could be graduating even though he/she can't read and with a lower education then he/she realizes and then will wonder why they can't get into any university or college.This could also mean students won't waist their time doing home work or studying for exams since they know they have to pass no matter what.Passing students so easily will make it hard for them to get a job and to be able to survive in the real world.It's no wonder that many students these days graduate without ever knowing how to read.

Some of you may think I'm full of #### but it's true,I know because my mother is a teacher and so is my second oldest sister.

The main reason this rule came about is because teachers are sick of parents who bitch about their kid failing and blaming the teachers when often it's the students fault,after all if he/she did their home work they wouldn't be failing,not to say there aren't teachers out there who shouldn't be teachers because I know from my own experience there are some really bad teachers,I've had a few.

Another thing is which some people may not realize is that the percentage of students who drop out of school by the time they reach grade 10 is about 60% or was a couple years ago anyways,probably more now.I don't blame them either because having to go to school after grade 10 is stupid,anything after that is waste of time,half the stuff you learn you'll never use in the real world.For example you're never going to use #### like 2x(3x+4y) unless you're going to be an engineer and not everyone wants to be one.Personally I think if Canada wants to keep students in school after grade 10,they need to think of teaching some trades to students instead of useless,unimportant crap which gives them the real life experience skills need for many jobs.If some extra courses are needed to for a particular trade a student chooses then the student has the option of taking extra course for the trade or to choose a different trade,that's how it should be.Even my mother a teacher agrees.
--------------------------------------------------

I came to vancouver when I was 7. I went to private school in Hk and to tell u the truth my education skills is around gr.10 here when I was 7. In HK I was prepare with all the techinal stuff(math, grammar, spellings......). After school I have to study other stuff that my brought with us. I didn't even have to sutdy for exams here and I get A's. The education lvl is pretty low compare to the rest of the world. However, I was very weak in the creativity party. I wouldn't know to make certain stuff in art class that's very easy for others. I wouldn't know how to write an interesting story at all. I wouldn't know how to play most sports that were taught in P.E. class.

The lvl of education started to jump at around gr.10 where the class material starts to get hard for those who slack off. I was still prepare for it since I go to after school tutor, but I have seen lot's of ppl who doens't get what is going on in class. I think education in vaocuver should focs on both the techinal side as well as creativity side and not so much focus creativity. ----------------------------------------

In my opinion, i believe that just by sending a child to private school is not the solution for good upbringing or moral education. Education begins from home and parents are the important role models!

2#
發表於 06-12-11 09:04 |只看該作者

Re: Education system in Canada

xother,

Quite agree with you.  In US or Canada, the education may seems to be too relax in the primary years, but in HK or other Asian countries like Singapore, Japan, education is too stressful.  Both technical knowledge and creativity are important.  So really need to find a balance of both aspects.  

What do you think about studying in international schools in HK?  Kids enjoy their school life very much and yet also attend some after school supplementary classes.  So pressure is less, and they can still learn technical stuff and keep their curioxity/creativity.

3#
發表於 06-12-11 13:40 |只看該作者

Re: Education system in Canada

WYmom,
Yes, if you can afford, it is good to put them in international school as they dont need to stress so much, however, I still believe "Education begins from home and parents are the important role models!"

‹ 上一主題|下一主題