教育王國 討論區 海外留學 High shcool in Canada, Vancouver
樓主: STBY
go

High shcool in Canada, Vancouver [複製鏈接]

21#
發表於 06-11-24 13:47 |只看該作者

Re: High shcool in Canada, Vancouver

Dear Quentin,

I also know that my son should take course in ESL class once starting his elementary school in Canada.  Do you know how long does it take usually in ESL class?  Is there many Chinese studying in West Vancouver?

Do you know that the school ranking website for Toronto and what is the school district?

22#
發表於 06-11-24 14:35 |只看該作者

Dear Quentin,

Do yu know the school in north burnaby, which one is better Burnaby North Secondary or Alpha Secondary?
Besides, what do you mean of ESL? Is it a course after school or full time course before she can enter the high school?
Thanks a lot.

Amy

23#
發表於 06-11-24 15:28 |只看該作者

STBY 寫道:
Dear Quentin,

I also know that my son should take course in ESL class once starting his elementary school in Canada.  Do you know how long does it take usually in ESL class?  Is there many Chinese studying in West Vancouver?

Do you know that the school ranking website for Toronto and what is the school district?

It is difficult to tell how long the ESL (English as Second Language) will be, it depends on the child's progress in English, the shorter the better, as it will affect him to take the regular class/lesson .  

24#
發表於 06-11-24 18:08 |只看該作者

Of course Burnaby North is better. Why? Because I graduated from North. We have a strong academic program with excellent result in AP exams.

In Canada, when you enroll in a school, the school will test your english level. If they think your english level is not good enough for the regular english classes, then they will put you in ESL. In North, they have ESL 1 and ESL 2 for students who need more help. And there is Transitional English for students who are almost there, but not quite yet. ESL is a course during school time. Students can take 8 classes per year and the school will determine how many classes of ESL is needed. For example, students with no or little English will be given 4 classes of ESL while students who have high english standard may only need one class of ESL or even just transitional english. Halfway through the school year, they will re-assess every student.

Also, be aware that roughly 1/3 of the student body from North is Chinese. How quickly one can learn the English language in Greater Vancouver really depends on one's attitude. Since there are so many chinese in Greater Vancouver, it is very "tempting" for new immigrants to befriend other cantonese speaking students and never speak English outside of class. But this is a problem for all of Greater Vancouver, unless you live in Maple Ridge or Langley.  

25#
發表於 06-11-24 21:23 |只看該作者

Dear STBY,

Students from HK usually take 4 months, but it all depends on student himself. ESL course are for overseas students, they might have chinese, japanese or others.

No matter Toronto and Vancouver, there are alots of Chinese students.

As I know there is a ranking of Vancouver high school, but I'm sorry I do not know where to find it out.

Sorry!!!

26#
發表於 06-11-24 21:28 |只看該作者

Dear Amy,

ESL stand for English As a Second Language.

Some school will need the student take ESL before they start academic courses, but some will just put together while they are having academic courses.

Burnaby North Secondary and Alpha Secondary are good, if you need to make one choice, Burnaby North is better!

27#
發表於 06-11-24 22:35 |只看該作者

Hi all,
我只找到以下萛最近ranking:

Vancouver
Montreal
Toronto---->then click ranking the schools
寵辱不驚,看庭前花開花落; 去留無意,望天上雲捲雲舒.

28#
發表於 06-11-25 12:02 |只看該作者

Hi STBY,

I came back from W.Van over 10 years ago.
But from my knowledge back then, if you plan to start from Saskatchewan, ESL may not be compulsory because there are not that many immigrants / foreigners there.  

If you plan to move to Vancouver 5 years later, your son should no longer be considered a new immigrant and he would not need to enroll in ESL.

Assume you shd have got your citizenship 5 years later, it depends on where you live to enroll your son in which secondary school.

However, in my opinion, if you can stay in Regina for that long, there's no reason for you to send your son to Vancouver for high school.  (unless you want to move to Vancouver)

He can apply to any universities all across Canada when he finishes high school.
[img align=left]http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/dogdogard20070117_7_BBD+is.png[/img]

29#
發表於 06-11-26 11:43 |只看該作者

Thanks Quentin0227 and Pooh Pooh Mama! I checked the St. George website and found it's good too. However I am not sure whether it's close to my relative's home. They live in West Island and that's why I applied West Island College for him 2 years ago (her daughter also graduated from this school and it's walking distance from home). Have you heard of this school? This year their school fees raised a lot! But I know quite a number of students can go to McGill!

30#
發表於 06-11-26 16:54 |只看該作者

Do you mean St. George or West Island College?

31#
發表於 06-11-27 11:50 |只看該作者

I mean West Island College raised a lot of school fees this year and McGill seems to have quite a number of students coming from West Island College too. But after reading St. George's website, I quite like this school but it still depends on how far it is from my my home.

32#
發表於 06-11-27 14:02 |只看該作者

Dear happeecc,

Tks for your advice.  I am planned to live in Regina after my son graduates elementary school.  Then we moved to Vancouver.  That's why I would like to know the high school in West Vancouver.  Also I have heard that the school district of West Vancouver is the best in Vancouver.

33#
發表於 06-11-28 03:25 |只看該作者

trustme,

It's not that hard to go to McGill if you are graduated from local highschool/college. Depends on which faculty your son wanna study.  I am from McGill, so I know. But the international/out of province students enter with very high marks.

34#
發表於 06-12-8 19:58 |只看該作者

hi. all my 2 little sis, my little bro and me. 4 of us all gradurate from burnaby north secondary school. this school is nice.  

35#
發表於 06-12-13 16:55 |只看該作者

Hi all,

My husband and I are canadian but we've been back to HK for 10 years. We are planning to let our daughter study in Vancouver after 3 years. Anyone could suggest good kindergarten in West Vancouver? Thanks a lot.

:verycold: :verycold: :verycold: :verycold:

36#
發表於 06-12-14 14:31 |只看該作者

Kids start attending kindergarten when they are 5. Some young kids stay at home while others go to day care.

leynamama 寫道:
Hi all,

My husband and I are canadian but we've been back to HK for 10 years. We are planning to let our daughter study in Vancouver after 3 years. Anyone could suggest good kindergarten in West Vancouver? Thanks a lot.

37#
發表於 06-12-14 14:32 |只看該作者

I am from north too!!! I am from class of 2002. Which year did you graduate?

conniechan1975 寫道:
hi. all my 2 little sis, my little bro and me. 4 of us all gradurate from burnaby north secondary school. this school is nice.  

38#
發表於 06-12-14 16:59 |只看該作者

Can I have some questions for the north burnaby student?

Do the Chinese usually speak Chinese/English in school?
What is the % of going to the U?
Is it too early for a 13 years old girl to leave her family and stay in Vancouver with her grandma?

39#
發表於 06-12-14 19:43 |只看該作者

Whether a student speaks Chinese or English in school depends on the student. When I was in North, I spoke English with the CBC and Chinese with my Hong Kong friends. Some students like to hang out with the Hong Kong group while some prefer the CBC group. Generally, the earlier the kid come to Canada, the higher the probability of hanging out with the CBC group. But this is only a general rule and one should be cautious when applying it.

The % of students going to university is quite high among Chinese students. In Canada, it is not extremely hard to enter university because there are many choices, both in BC or in other provinces. If one works hard, one would have a good chance of entering their desire university.

Regarding whether it is too early to come at age 13, I can't give much advice as my whole family moved together. I would say, compare to Richmond, there are not as many temptations in North Burnaby and it is more of a middle/working class community. But once again, it depends on the group of friends one hangs out with. Schools in Canada have to accept every student living in the area, so you will find good and bad students in even the so called "best" schools.

If your daughter does indeed become a Viking (North Students), I highly recommend our honours/AP program. You can go to the following website for more information about North's result:

Burnaby North AP Program

amy888 寫道:
Can I have some questions for the north burnaby student?

Do the Chinese usually speak Chinese/English in school?
What is the % of going to the U?
Is it too early for a 13 years old girl to leave her family and stay in Vancouver with her grandma?

40#
發表於 06-12-15 15:35 |只看該作者

Hi - I am from Cariboo Hill in Burnaby!
‹ 上一主題|下一主題