教育王國 討論區 國際學校 I want my child to goto CIS / HKIS / GSIS
查看: 41317|回覆: 77
go

[小學] I want my child to goto CIS / HKIS / GSIS [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 23-6-2 18:23 |只看該作者 |倒序瀏覽 |打印
本帖最後由 gweiloproblems 於 23-8-30 12:07 編輯

Hi!

We have recently moved to Hong Kong 3 years back and have decided to call Hong Kong our family's permanent home.

This forum has been extremely useful and I have been browsing these forums to understand how I can get the best education possible for my 3 year old daughter. After much research, our family has settled on 3 of our top choices being CIS / HKIS / GSIS with CDNIS and KJS as backups.

We are FP holders and been fortunate enough to have the company I work for subsidize any school fees. She is currently attending Anfield KG as it is completely in English medium and located close to our home in Ho Man Tin.

Would you have any advice on what I should do to provide the best possible chance for her to go to these 3 choice schools. Whether it going to a particular Kindergarten, or joining supplementary PTH classes, or just general advice in developing her social skills and self confidence.

Advice I have received so far from my work colleagues is to send her to a bilingual international KG such as CWB Vic or IMS with some PTH classes on the side.

Any information would be greatly appreciated Thank you so much in advance :)

3    0    0    1

2#
發表於 23-6-2 20:57 |只看該作者
回覆 gweiloproblems 的帖子

What kind of FP ?

3#
發表於 23-6-2 21:13 |只看該作者
HKIS is your best bet due to the large number of seats available @ R1. I think they like talkative and outgoing kids.

4#
發表於 23-6-2 21:42 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 gweiloproblems 於 23-8-30 11:45 編輯
Goodluck2022 posted on 23-6-2 20:57
in reply to gweiloproblems' post

What kind of FP?

(Answer removed due to privacy concerns)  :)

5#
發表於 23-6-2 21:52 |只看該作者

回覆樓主:

本帖最後由 Adiezz 於 23-6-2 21:57 編輯

If you are not in the priority groups, getting a CIS Reception offer is almost impossible, and it is very difficult for GSIS K1 too. Their seats are so limited,,,but it is still worth to try if they are your top priority.

6#
發表於 23-6-2 21:58 |只看該作者
simonchan1986 發表於 23-6-2 21:13
HKIS is your best bet due to the large number of seats available @ R1. I think they like talkative a ...
Oh Great thanks. Is there anything I can do as a parent to improve my chances for HKIS and the other 2. It seems like there are certain pre nursery/ KGs with bilingual programmes that supposed to help?

7#
發表於 23-6-2 22:03 |只看該作者
Adiezz 發表於 23-6-2 21:52
If you are not in the priority groups, getting a CIS Reception offer is almost impossible, and it is ...
I see. It seems what you are saying that there isn't much we can do as parents and just the difficulty is just too great.
I live close to kindergartens like dibber and anfield. International Montessori and Victoria is further. I suppose trying to aim for better KGs and travelling more won't be much point.

8#
發表於 23-6-2 22:04 |只看該作者
I am not sure any KG will help for these 3...As far as I know none of the 3 has any associations with other KGs.
I don't know about GSIS/CIS, but for HKIS, try to spend more time with your kid to make them more talkative and outgoing (e.g. bring them out to play with other kids more). If you can, talk to them in English alone (provided that you don't mind them not able to speak your mother tongue/your spouse can speak the mother tongue with them).

9#
發表於 23-6-3 08:44 |只看該作者
回覆 gweiloproblems 的帖子

Are you Chinese ? Is your wife Chinese. ?
How did you manage to find this group ?

10#
發表於 23-6-3 09:42 |只看該作者
gweiloproblems 發表於 23-6-2 22:03
I see. It seems what you are saying that there isn't much we can do as parents and just the difficul ...

Victoria may be helpful as it has a track record of placing students into CIS and HKIS. However, enrolling your children in an international kindergarten can ensure that their English language skills are native enough and develop the characteristics that IS prefers

I think HKIS is relatively easier comparing to another two, as my kid’s classmates who go to HKIS are not in priority group, only has FP.

11#
發表於 23-6-3 09:48 |只看該作者
回覆 Adiezz 的帖子

Can a kid with FP but bad English enters K1 in ESF ?

12#
發表於 23-6-3 10:35 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 gweiloproblems 於 23-6-6 10:46 編輯
simonchan1986 發表於 23-6-2 22:04
I am not sure any KG will help for these 3...As far as I know none of the 3 has any associations wit ...

Thanks for this advice.

My kid does very well in front me and able to recite a lot of nursery rhymes but gets extremely shy when with strangers. Definitely something I'm going to need to work on :)

13#
發表於 23-6-3 10:39 |只看該作者
Goodluck2022 發表於 23-6-3 08:44
回覆 gweiloproblems 的帖子

Are you Chinese ? Is your wife Chinese. ?
No we are both expats who have just moved here. Do not know how to speak any Chinese.
I found your forum from Google. This one seems far more active then geoexpat and geobaby. I think local HK parents are extremely invested in getting their kids the best education possible just like me :)

Do you think teaching her a little bit of PTH will help my chances to get into CIS? I know the other two don't have any PTH requirements for sure

14#
發表於 23-6-3 10:41 |只看該作者

回覆樓主:

本帖最後由 964000 於 23-6-3 10:49 編輯

Mandarin helps in getting into CIS

15#
發表於 23-6-3 10:44 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 gweiloproblems 於 23-8-30 11:47 編輯
Adiezz 發表於 23-6-3 09:42
Victoria may be helpful as it has a track record of placing students into CIS and HKIS. However, en ...

Can I continue her education at Anfield? It is right opposite our house and we don't have to take too much time off work to make it possible.
They have good English and foreign teachers but it does not have any written track record for sending to good schools. It also has no bilingual programmes and everything is conducted in English only.

My work colleagues told me to start doing as much as possible now but I have no idea what I'm supposed to do hahaha.

16#
發表於 23-6-3 10:54 |只看該作者
回覆 gweiloproblems 的帖子

that will be perfect. So are you an african
It will be awesome. Having FP already gives you an edge.

Doing it more will give local parents a lot of pressure.

Your kid is brilliant.

17#
發表於 23-6-3 11:11 |只看該作者
964000 發表於 23-6-3 10:41
Mandarin helps in getting into CIS
Do kindergarten brands matter or can I teach my child little bit of PTH using flash cards at home?

18#
發表於 23-6-3 11:22 |只看該作者
gweiloproblems 發表於 23-6-3 10:39
No we are both expats who have just moved here. Do not know how to speak any Chinese.
I found your  ...

with a fp+ completely foreigner looking already give your child A great chance to get in any international school..

good luck

19#
發表於 23-6-3 12:14 |只看該作者

回覆樓主:

本帖最後由 bigheadshrimp 於 23-6-3 14:18 編輯

CIS, HKIS and GSIS are all great schools, but they are very different. CIS splits time between Chinese and English equally in primary, and IB program begins in secondary. HKIS follows the American curriculum, and students can start taking AP classes in Grade 10. I hear their Chinese program has become stronger over the years, but it’s nowhere near the level in CIS. GSIS is a very small school. There are only 40 spots in kindy and 52 in primary. While there is some Chinese exposure in kindy, there are no formal Chinese classes between Y1-Y3, and all students are required to start learning German in Y2. The school follows a modified British curriculum until it switches over to IBDP in Y12.

You may want to consider which path you want your child take before deciding on a school. Also, aside from thinking about which kindy to send your child, it’s important to arrange school tours to get a feel of the cultures of the schools. It’s not enough to just go by the schools’ reputations. Your child won’t be happy if the school isn’t the right fit.

I don’t think international schools really care about which kindy your child goes to, as long as s/he can communicate well in native level English. (If you are still targeting CIS, mandarin is a big plus, as mentioned in an earlier post.) Being a friendly and outgoing child with good self-care skills will always help.

20#
發表於 23-6-3 12:17 |只看該作者
Its better to apply for n or k1 class.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題
你需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 註冊