搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 I want my child to goto CIS / HKIS / GSIS
樓主: gweiloproblems
go

[小學] I want my child to goto CIS / HKIS / GSIS [複製鏈接]

41#
發表於 23-6-5 10:27 |只看該作者
kooliestgirl 發表於 23-6-3 22:34
I don't think the race is a matter as long as your kid doesn't look like a Chinese. He/She will hav ...
Thanks. I had no idea how we look will matter and thought only FP is a requirement due to it being set be EDB.

42#
發表於 23-6-5 10:34 |只看該作者
Adiezz 發表於 23-6-4 22:12
本帖最後由 Adiezz 於 23-6-4 22:16 編輯

本帖最後由 Adiezz 於 23-6-4 22:13 編輯
Thank you so much, this helps.

I think the general consensus in this group is that VEO is not right for me as I might but her into too much pressure competing with children who have Cantonese/ Mandarin speaking parents at home.

I have already applied for CDNIS as the applications are by birth. If in 2025 I do not get accepted in GSIS I will probably send them to CDNIS as I have heard from my colleagues that is also an amazing school.

Hopefully I will get an offer from CIS (It is much closer to me as well) in 2026 and can transfer there.

I will take you advice for sending my child to a PTH center. I think it will be the best idea for her applications + general child development.

43#
發表於 23-6-5 10:44 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 ribenaberry 於 23-11-14 09:37 編輯

回覆 gweiloproblems 的帖子

44#
發表於 23-6-5 10:47 |只看該作者
Erminator 發表於 23-6-4 20:09
For your case, if you really aim at CIS, you should enroll your kid into a bilingual kindergarten an ...
Would you be aware of any good bilingual kindergarten that will help push her application in my choice primary schools?

I was only aware of VEO (Victoria) as being bilingual, but the group collectively feels like it is not a good option.

I went to the tour of International Montessori School N and KG and they say they are bilingual but it seems like an afterthought and I do not think they will learn much PTH at all.

I checked out St. Catherine International Pre- Nursery as well and even though it is a highly ranked school, there was not a single FP or Non-Chinese in the classes!

PTH classes I will definitely sign up for my whole family :)

45#
發表於 23-6-5 10:59 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 gweiloproblems 於 23-6-5 11:08 編輯
ribenaberry 發表於 23-6-5 10:44
回覆 gweiloproblems 的帖子

You will have a better chance at a place at KJS than CIS considering you ...

Brilliant thanks! The applications for ESF start only a year before entry and I will definitely apply

46#
發表於 23-6-5 16:14 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 tinatsui2019 於 23-6-5 16:17 編輯

回覆 gweiloproblems 的帖子

If you want  your kid to have a good mandarin background, you may try the N class in Kiangsu & Chekiang Nursery at North Point. It is a private school which main education language is Mandarin except for the English class. The whole school environment is Mandarin even for the cleaning lady. I notice that there are a lot of mixed families ( Chinese + foreign white) will send the kids for N and K1 and will transfer their kids to other international schools (according to your original plan of CIS etc...)afterwards after K1.
This school will not increase your international school chance. It's just for the Mandarin environment.

47#
發表於 23-6-5 16:20 |只看該作者
tinatsui2019 發表於 23-6-5 16:14
回覆 gweiloproblems 的帖子

If you want  your kid to have a good mandarin background, you may try th ...
For your information, there are about 1/4 of the students in the  N class of Kiangsu and Checkiang Nursery are mixed students. Observations from my boy's class.

48#
發表於 23-6-5 18:05 |只看該作者

回覆樓主:

本帖最後由 lastpass 於 23-6-5 18:11 編輯

My boy went to KCS for 3 years (N to K2) before going to ESF. Some of his classmates went to HKIS and CIS. Just like the above poster said there were a few mixed families. If you don't speak Mandarin a tutor is recommended. When my son went there from 2015 to 2018, it did big class teaching meaning there were 43 kids in a class.

Compare to other IS ESF is not too difficult to get in. Also, QBS is opposite to CIS. So if ESF is an option maybe QBS is a better choice as it's closer to where you're located.

49#
發表於 23-6-5 20:34 |只看該作者
tinatsui2019 發表於 23-6-5 16:14
回覆 gweiloproblems 的帖子

If you want  your kid to have a good mandarin background, you may try th ...
Thank you! I will go check it out.
This is a great idea but they need to work on their website. It really doesn't represent them well.

50#
發表於 23-6-5 21:13 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 gweiloproblems 於 24-1-25 12:44 編輯
lastpass 發表於 23-6-5 18:05
My boy went to KCS for 3 years (N to K2) before going to ESF. Some of his classmates went to HKIS an ...

We live in kowloon and I think KJS is closer to us in ESF. It is our extremely good backup if we don't get our 3 target schools.
I'm definitely going to go say hi at KCS to find out more as suggested :)

51#
發表於 23-6-6 11:10 |只看該作者
回覆 gweiloproblems 的帖子

Your backup schools are the top schools in HK.
What are you doing or planning to do for your kid from now to the date of interview ?

Please share with us !

52#
發表於 23-6-6 11:29 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 gweiloproblems 於 23-6-6 11:35 編輯
Goodluck2022 Published on 23-6-6 11:10
in reply to gweiloproblems' post

Your backup schools are the top schools in HK.

You are absolutely right and I am sure the stated backups are also extremely hard to get admission into. I am just trying to put my best foot forward. Luckily it seems HK educations is top notch and wherever she will end up she is guaranteed an amazing school with the world IB average being around 30 while HK is 37.

I will take collective advice I have received from this group so far and definitely try and find some PTH classes for my child. I will also checkout the KCS campus in person as it might be a good idea to send her to a PTH medium KG and supplement English learning at home.

53#
發表於 23-6-6 11:52 |只看該作者
回覆 gweiloproblems 的帖子

Hong Kong parents are strict and willing to invest plenty of resources in kids education.
I look forward to hearing where your kid will attend school.

Dont abandon us and keep us updated along the education journey.

54#
發表於 23-6-6 16:55 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 gweiloproblems 於 23-6-6 16:56 編輯
gweiloproblems Posted on 23-6-6 11:29
You are absolutely right and I am sure the stated backups are also extremely hard to get admission ...

KCS May 2023 Highlights

It seems like a big school

55#
發表於 23-6-6 17:13 |只看該作者
I guess as an expat/foreigner, you would aim at Simplified Chinese for your kid? If that's the case, you can take VEO out of your picture since the curriculum is quite equally split between Cantonese, Mandarin and English. I think it's quite frustrating for a kid to attend a school where he doesn't understand 2/3 of the time.

If i wasn't mistaken, CWB Vic have Mandarin and English class (which can take out the pressure from Cantonese)

But seriously as other users have listed, applying PN & K1 should not need any "Chinese skills" as long as not CIS

And i suggest you start connecting with schools (don't let them know you read up so much... just pretend merely as an expat and ask them any questions..they should be happy to answer)

If i wasn't mistaken, Mauritius speaks French, would you consider FIS in case your family wanna move back home in the future?

56#
發表於 23-6-6 17:56 |只看該作者
boojiji 發表於 23-6-6 17:13
I guess as an expat/foreigner, you would aim at Simplified Chinese for your kid? If that's the case, ...
Yes Simplified Chinese will suffice as most IS have PTH only. I did not know VEO was Trilingual. I completely understand why everyone was not recommending it here.

CWB Victoria was the main one my colleagues also had mentioned. It supposed to have the highest number of successful applicants to CIS. But again, as said above, I will not be applying if it seems like I am putting too much pressure on the child. Maybe CIS is not the right fit and learning PTH at such a young age without family support is not a good idea.

You are absolutely correct. We do have a French background but at home we try to keep her first language as English. I would personally prefer her to learn PTH as a foreign language and only consider French if she has too much trouble / does not enjoy PTH. I think French is offered in nearly all IS and I think we can take care of her fluency later in life if need be.

Asking School Admissions is a great idea and will definitely do it. I hope they give me a bit more insight on what to do. I truly appreciate all the advice given by you and the others on this forum. The personal experiences shared give so much context to all the information on the web. It keeps building on what a good course of action should be :)

57#
發表於 23-6-16 19:31 |只看該作者
回覆 gweiloproblems 的帖子

If you go to Dibber, I think Anfield kindergarten nearby could be better. Also for GSIS, you need to make sure her English is native level and she is matured and presentable kid to pass the interview. To enter their K1 class, kid needs to take interview the year before (your kid will be 2-3 yrs old at that point depends on birthday). The school mentioned kid at this stage needs to be able to speak at least 5 words sentence to be considered good enough. It’s not very easy for kids around 2 to be honest.

For HKIS, it’s easier as long as your kid English is good enough and well rounded.

For CIS, you need to be very good and then very lucky of you are not in priority group. The school emphasize they try to have a balanced class profile (in terms of race, gender, birth month, nationality, personality ). So if you are not in the priority group, you need first pass their standard AND meet the profile they are looking for. For example, they need a white girl who is native in English and relatively introverted, if you are close to that profile you will be admitted.

58#
發表於 23-6-20 11:14 |只看該作者
sr0925 發表於 23-6-16 19:31
回覆 gweiloproblems 的帖子

If you go to Dibber, I think Anfield kindergarten nearby could be better ...
Hi!

Thanks for your answer. I have looked into Anfield, and have seen their campus. I had no idea it was better than dibber. I'll go have a look again.

GSIS needs 5 word sentences! I guess now I have something concrete to aim for. She can currently speak a couple of words but not 5 words stringed together. I'm hoping I can get her up to speed on this.

My child is definitely introverted around strangers and English is her native language.

You did not mention need of Mandarin but I have started addressing and make her repeat small things during our interactions in PTH such as: Ni Hao Ma?, Zhao Shang Hao, Wo Jiao, Wo Hen Hao, Xie Xie, Niu Nai etc. I am not sure if it would be enough for the interview but I have realized all the bilingual pre-nursery are really not teaching anything meaningful in PTH and I can do the small little teaching at home in my free time.

59#
發表於 23-6-20 20:45 |只看該作者
gweiloproblems 發表於 23-6-20 11:14
Hi!

Thanks for your answer. I have looked into Anfield, and have seen their campus. I had no idea i ...

I have friends who also put lots of effort on mandarin learning for their young kids ~1.5y, they hire mandarin teacher to come to their home 3 times per week and 2 hours per class to play with their children in mandarin.  I think the results is quite good

60#
發表於 23-6-21 20:03 |只看該作者
Shellyxlk 發表於 23-6-20 20:45
I have friends who also put lots of effort on mandarin learning for their young kids ~1.5y, they hi ...
I guess 1on1 is going to be a lot better. I was hoping for a classroom setting for learning as it will get her comfortable with the school type surroundings. But it makes sense they will Chinese a lot faster the way you suggested.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題
你需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 註冊