密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 VSA 定位
查看: 16741|回覆: 35
go

[小學] VSA 定位 [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 23-4-8 13:27 |只看該作者 |倒序瀏覽 |打印
I’ve been thinking about this for a while but cannot figure it out. What is VSA’s positioning? Like what sort of students does it want to attract?

People who want to attend international school would have all left vic/veo after pn or k1 as that’s when the mass intake is for most of the international schools. So those who want to go down the international school route and still at vic kindergarten after k1 are those who didn’t get offers from international school, so then they would try apply for vsa in k2 (my understanding is that vsa primary school application is in k2 as opposed to k3). Therefore, vsa is attracting students who didn’t get offers (or good enough offers) from international schools. Maybe some will try vsa first and if they don’t get it, then scramble for a spot at an international school after mass intake year.

For those who want to go down local school route (although heard Victoria kindergarten is not enough for elite local primary school) would apply for vsa in k2 but then apply for local schools in k3 and if they don’t get a good local school offer then vsa is their fallback option (assuming they got an offer from vsa). So then once again, vsa is attracting those who didn’t get a good local school offer.

This is why I’m confused as to what vsa’s positioning is??? If I think about it logically, it seems all those who end up at vsa either didn’t get into a good international school or didn’t get into a good local school. Unless maybe some parents are very set on vsa and don’t bother with applying to other international or local schools at all (but so risky coz you can end up with nothing and need to scramble).
   2    0    0    0

2#
發表於 23-4-8 13:55 |只看該作者
I think VSA is more for parents who want good Chinese but not the stress in local schools. Many "good" IS does not really offer strong enough Chinese (many are not bilingual to start with), except CIS/CDNIS/ISF, but these are super hard to get in. If the kid cannot go to the 3 above, then VSA will be the most natural choice for those parents looking for strong Chinese for their kids.

3#
發表於 23-4-8 21:02 |只看該作者
回覆 simonchan1986 的帖子

I guess that’s right, so they are targeting those students who didn’t get into the popular/better international schools that have a strong focus on Chinese (and don’t mind being peoples second/third choice). I wonder if they were able to make offers earlier for their primary school, whether this would help them ‘fight’ for some of the students that had to leave earlier after pn/k1 for other international schools.
And I do also wonder what international school options are then left if you didn’t get into VSA in k2 (like which ones have mass intake for the equivalent of k3 or primary 1). The one that pops out is ESF as their primary school year 1 is equivalent of k3 so if you fail to secure a spot at vsa in k2, you could try esf (you would concurrently apply for esf primary and vsa over the course of k2). But then if you want vsa, then likely esf won’t be your preferred school since chinese is weak (but perhaps no choice at that point).

4#
發表於 23-4-8 21:04 |只看該作者
Most people choose Victoria kindergarten because they can’t decide between LS and IS. But I feel like if you are still in Victoria kindergarten in k2/k3, then you are 兩頭唔到岸 for IS and for LS.

5#
發表於 23-4-8 21:24 |只看該作者
bettyc123 發表於 23-4-8 21:04
Most people choose Victoria kindergarten because they can’t decide between LS and IS. But I feel li ...

我當年選vsa原因好簡單, ib and strong chinese

6#
發表於 23-4-8 22:14 |只看該作者
回覆 bettyc123 的帖子

To be honest, I don't think VSA is "second-tier". Fact is, there are not many places available for parents who want strong Chinese and IB/non-local curriculum. The demand for strong Chinese and non-local curriculum is so strong that even CDNIS is going to convert all its international stream to bilingual stream.
CIS is almost impossible to get in (unless you pay close to 10mio for its debenture), CDNIS is also very tough with preference to foreign passport holders. Only ISF and VSA are two PIS that have strong Chinese program and accept at least 70% of local parents...It is not like VSA is always a back-up, there are a lot of parents who cannot get a place in VSA for their kids too...

Fact is, if you are not in Vic/VEO, it is almost impossible to get to VSA... and even if you are in Vic/VEO, the chance is not particularly high if you are not in the stepping up classes...

7#
發表於 23-4-8 22:21 |只看該作者
And also for ISF, if I am not mistaken the school will spend 70-80% of the time on Chinese in pre-school level, which may not sit well for parents who want a more balanced language environment....So to be honest, VSA is the only school that allows for 70% of kids with HKID and a more balanced language environment...Good luck if your kid can go to CIS/CDNIS, but if not, there are really not many choices.

8#
發表於 23-4-8 22:30 |只看該作者
回覆 simonchan1986 的帖子

Don’t get me wrong, I think VSA is a great school and not second tier and I know it’s hard to get in. But just the fact that they don’t make offers until k2 means many might not have a choice but to leave for other international schools before they reach k2. Like if I have an offer for a through train school during mass intake year, I’d have to take that offer as I can’t risk not getting a VSA offer in k2 and then trying to find another international school for my kid at that point (it’s a bit of a gamble).

9#
發表於 23-4-8 22:31 |只看該作者
回覆 poonseelai 的帖子

I agree that it’s great! But then what’s your plan b/fallback option if you kid didn’t get into VSA?

10#
發表於 23-4-8 22:54 |只看該作者
回覆 bettyc123 的帖子

Yes, that is a problem for those in VEO/Vic looking for VSA. But I guess the demand for strong Chinese is so strong that they do not really worry about "losing" some students, as there are not many places available compared to the demand...
Also, if you look at their history, VSA started as a kindergarten first then opening a primary school. It was not until in 2000/2021 that VSA was established to provide through-train primary+secondary schooling... So I guess their DNA has always been taking students from 6 years old. The fact that they already started taking students from K2 (instead of K3 like local school) meant they do want to push forward the student admission, just that other schools are even earlier...

11#
發表於 23-4-8 23:06 |只看該作者
bettyc123 發表於 23-4-8 22:31
回覆 poonseelai 的帖子

I agree that it’s great! But then what’s your plan b/fallback option if yo ...

我孩子已畢業,當年競爭無而家咁大。VEO咁多學生,每人目標不同,不是全部vsa為目標。

12#
發表於 23-4-8 23:08 |只看該作者
bettyc123 發表於 23-4-8 21:04
Most people choose Victoria kindergarten because they can’t decide between LS and IS. But I feel li ...

相信你這個假設已經錯咗

13#
發表於 23-4-9 00:40 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 bettyc123 於 23-4-9 00:48 編輯

回覆 poonseelai 的帖子

Maybe but that is a reason I keep hearing as to why people choose vic kindergarten. It is in the middle as it isn’t entirely local and not really international either, so kind of keeping options for both paths but then you kind of end up in the middle and neither here nor there.
Of course getting into VSA is a reason why people choose vic kindergarten and also it has a good brand. Why is it so popular then - again is a great school and all in its own right (although being a great kindergarten alone isn’t enough as it needs to get you where you want to be), so interested in seeing why people want to get into vic kindergarten in the first place?

14#
發表於 23-4-9 10:00 |只看該作者
bettyc123 發表於 23-4-9 00:40
回覆 poonseelai 的帖子

Maybe but that is a reason I keep hearing as to why people choose vic kinder ...

本帖最後由 poonseelai 於 23-4-9 10:44 編輯

或者你的標題可以改"VEO定位", VEO 同 VSA是不同的。

是"end up in the middle" 定兩手準備要睇你點睇,如果父母已選定 IS or LS ,他們自會有相應安排。並非所有 IS也有自己幼稚園,要選一所有英語環境的幼兒園幼稚園,VEO是其中一個選擇。我當年去VEO 做 reading mum,孩子的水平也不同,所以學校提供了英語環境,也要睇在家父母有否伴讀等。

考到IS的孩子,K2後會離VEO, 所以你睇唔到有幾多,至於K3畢業生去向,你去網頁睇下升小一資料,應該未至於你講兩頭唔到岸咁

15#
發表於 23-4-9 12:40 |只看該作者
bettyc123 發表於 23-4-8 21:02
回覆 simonchan1986 的帖子

I guess that’s right, so they are targeting those students who didn’t g ...

本帖最後由 964000 於 23-5-25 07:17 編輯

My friend’s son was in Vic at K2 but he didn’t get into VSA Primary (as a 細B , his Birthday was Oct ), he then repeated and applied as a 大B and got into GSIS K2.
The other friend has ESF priority anyway(alumni), his daughter just went to Vic K for location and to learn some Chinese.
Another few people I knew went to Vic K but didn’t get offers from any “good IS” or VSA, they end up in private local schools. So it’s quite flexible, don’t have to worry.

16#
發表於 23-4-9 13:17 |只看該作者
poonseelai 發表於 23-4-8 21:24
我當年選vsa原因好簡單, ib and strong chinese

我當年沒有選VSA的原因也好簡單,因為距離屋企遠。

HMT Vic的同學仔好多唔會target VSA都係因為距離;較多以九龍直資/私小/名津小為目標,也有好似我咁完成K2後(emoji)讀國際學校Y1, 九龍及新界區的ESF佔唔少,也有ICS 和Yew Chung.

小朋友考小學其實講運氣、家庭背景,不需要太執着,慢慢成長培育佢有學習動機和動力,比入到任何一間名校更重要。

17#
發表於 23-4-9 14:22 |只看該作者
Radiomama 發表於 23-4-9 13:17
我當年沒有選VSA的原因也好簡單,因為距離屋企遠。

HMT Vic的同學仔好多唔會target VSA都係因為距離;較 ...

本帖最後由 poonseelai 於 23-4-9 15:50 編輯

同意培養學習動機和動力十分重要, 特別是在AI 年代, 需要懂得運用不同工具,良好語文能力,再加上批判能力

18#
發表於 23-4-9 17:10 |只看該作者
bettyc123 發表於 23-4-8 13:27
I’ve been thinking about this for a while but cannot figure it out. What is VSA’s positioning? Lik ...
I completely agree with you. I feel that VSA is really shooting themselves in the foot because of this lack of identity. Theyve become a “back up” plan for most families because of not being a through train school.  If they had kept it that way, I feel their students would stay all the way.
I think its because they expanded their kindergardens so rapidly and sold it to another company, it is completely commercialized and they basically want to make money now.  But by doing this, i feel they continue to lose out on very good students who went elsewhere to study because of the lack of safety net they provide to parents on primary school.  No parent wants to have so much uncertainty going into P1, therefore everyone who is smart leaves bc they got accepted to better schools with throughtrain.  Leaving those who did not get in as leftovers.   

Too short sighted i believe VEO and VSA is.  I wish they would not focus on only expanding and making more money.  People and families see through this and i believe its only a matter of time when the VSA scores get worse and worse, and the entire Victoria brand will lose its reputation.  

19#
發表於 23-4-9 17:16 |只看該作者
7jai 發表於 23-4-9 17:10
I completely agree with you. I feel that VSA is really shooting themselves in the foot because of th ...

本帖最後由 poonseelai 於 23-4-9 17:30 編輯

如果你想大D機會入VSA, 應該考慮入興發街維幼,因它和VSA屬同一集團,VEO其他幼稚園如果升同一集團的DCS可能機會大D

我估, 純粹估, 或者日後興發街維幼同VSA可以成為through train school

維幼不時被批評commercial, 我只了交學費什費,不知commercial 在那裡

20#
發表於 23-4-9 17:18 |只看該作者
simonchan1986 發表於 23-4-8 22:14
回覆 bettyc123 的帖子

To be honest, I don't think VSA is "second-tier". Fact is, there are not many ...
Also agree with you.  Local schools are closing down because students fled to UK, or their parents switched them to non-local curriculum schools bc of the recent changes in the delivery and political content of the local curriculum.  Competition for those type of non-local curriculum schools are super in demand (higher than ever).
‹ 上一主題|下一主題
你需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 註冊