密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 NAIS vs ESF vs Harrow
發新帖
查看: 10587|回覆: 13
go

[小學] NAIS vs ESF vs Harrow

發表於 22-11-26 12:34 |顯示全部帖子
想請教下大家對每間學校既意見(假設將來可能去英國,有無preference?),假如3間都有offer 大家會點揀?暫時我留意到以下pros and cons : (有錯更正)

Nais
Pro
- good international student mix (7:3/ 6:4)
- small class size (roughly 20)
Con
- little public exam track record
- small campus
- expensive school fee and non refundable deposit paid within 2 weeks ($10萬)

ESF Kennedy school (無乜info, 好少人討論)
Pro
- lower school fee
- good international student mix (5:5?)

Con
- uncertainty about secondary school?

Harrow
Pro
- big brand, good reputation
- big campus, great facilities
- Good public exam result

Con
- student mix (heard that international student mix is not good, more local, sth like 7-80% local)

發表於 22-11-26 14:18 |顯示全部帖子
Why ESF is certainty about secondary school?

發表於 22-11-26 15:25 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 penp0319 的帖子

Uncertain? I am not sure

發表於 22-11-26 15:27 |顯示全部帖子
Yes, why uncertain?

發表於 22-11-26 17:50 |顯示全部帖子
hochw 發表於 22-11-26 12:34
想請教下大家對每間學校既意見(假設將來可能去英國,有無preference?),假如3間都有offer 大家會點揀?暫時 ...

For Harrow, EDB imposes a cap of 30% on the percentage of local students.  Of course, the actual percentage each year may be affected by sibling priority and family relocation, but it would not be allowed (or would have a need) to exceed substantially this 30%-cap.

發表於 22-11-27 19:43 |顯示全部帖子
kaplanmeier 發表於 22-11-26 17:50
For Harrow, EDB imposes a cap of 30% on the percentage of local students.  Of course, the actual pe ...

Harrow is capped at 50%

發表於 22-11-28 01:34 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 kaplanmeier 於 22-11-28 01:36 編輯
964000 發表於 22-11-27 19:43
Harrow is capped at 50%

Thank you for your correction.  I was misled by the media, which reported that Harrow had 31.5% of local students (in 2017), which exceeded the 30%-cap.  But in fact (you are right) that Harrow’s cap has been 50% from Day 1, according to a LegCo paper in 2012.

發表於 22-11-28 14:11 |顯示全部帖子
I think NAIS and Harrow have relatively comparable curriculum, class size and school fee. I would prefer Harrow over NAIS given the much better campus and facilities, track record of exam results, and the wide range of extra-curricular activities offered; but yes NAIS has a better international mix of students over Harrow.
NAIS and Harrow both use British curriculum for primary school while ESF has IB programme. Personally I prefer British curriculum for primary school. See which curriculum you like more.

發表於 22-11-28 14:59 |顯示全部帖子
If you plan to go to the UK at a later stage (as we do), I think British curriculum is an important factor you need to consider. Personally I haven’t heard of NAIS, and Harrow and Kellet are our top priorities. I heard that Harrow has many students coming from mainland. I am not sure whether this is true or not?

發表於 22-11-28 15:29 |顯示全部帖子
Dob44 發表於 22-11-28 14:59
If you plan to go to the UK at a later stage (as we do), I think British curriculum is an important  ...
May I know why Harrow and Kellett are your top priorities? I'm also interested in Kellett but cannot find much information here talking about this school. Thank you.

發表於 22-11-28 17:45 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 Dior8 的帖子

Cause we want to go to the UK to study at a later stage so we prefer A Level to IB curriculum. As far as I know, Harrow and Kellett both have very good A level results. I think there are not many international schools providing British curriculum in Hong Kong, others I know are Shrewsbury and Malvern which I think only opened in recent years. Plus if you want to go to the UK, you may need to take their entrance exams (11+ or 13+) here at Hong Kong. And I think Harrow can provide the facilities to have the exams here.

發表於 22-11-28 18:31 |顯示全部帖子

回覆樓主:

my child is studying at nais so may give my two cents to you on this topic.

firstly, I have to remind you that the 70pct foreign passport requirements can be abit misleading because it could be HKer with foreign passport, (mainlander does not count as foreign passport in nais case). in fact, even though nais has a reputation of good student mix, I can see more and more Chinese looking students these days. I guess mainly because many expats left HK already.

secondly, I don't consider nais campus is small. may be hard to compare to harrows, but definitely not small compare with other IS. don't forget that lam tin campus is just for primary, vs many IS share campus between primary and secondary. I would say nais lam tin campus is more than enough for primary. however, I have to admit it is not a fancy campus as it was renovated from a local campus.

thirdly, I do agree nais short history is what keep many local parents away. however, the expats obviously they don't look that far because they could leave HK anytime. they just focus on what is good now. that's why nais is so popular amongst expats. in your case, if you will leave HK to UK for good sooner or later. the school's public exam is really irrelevant to you. you only need to focus on their primary school quality only.

發表於 22-11-28 18:36 |顯示全部帖子

回覆樓主:

One thing I also would like to point out is the student familes backgrounds. In nais, I never felt I am talking to a billionaire families.

for Harrow, I think most students come from very wealthy families as indicated by their higher tuition too.

so it depends on what you are looking for. I suppose the overall school atmosphere created by thee families could be quite different too.

no right or wrong, just see which you prefer more.

發表於 22-11-29 13:21 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 kaplanmeier 於 22-11-29 13:23 編輯

mainlanders and billionaires at Harrow: I am not the former and hope will be the latter in future.  Nobody cares who are and who are not originated from the mainland, and nobody would ask or would be asked how wealthy the other parents are.  We only care about our children, their health, and their education, and we ask only what IGCSE/AL subjects the children take and which universities they apply to.

Among parents of children whom mine are close to, we spoke in English or Cantonese 100% of the time; s
ome parents spoke Cantonese with lovely Malaysian or Singaporean accents.  In the last 10 years the only people who spoke Putonghua to me at Harrow were the Chinese teachers, but I did see Rolls Royce and Ferrari parking there in parents' evening, if this really matters.