查看: 56023|回覆: 135
go

[小學] SIS vs Mary mount primary   [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 22-6-1 10:40 |只看該作者 |倒序瀏覽 |打印
請問這兩間應該如何選擇兩間都很好
Very hard to make decision

Any parents can share any information?
In terms of homework / level of studies/ School environment?

Thank you so much
   17    0    0    0

2#
發表於 22-6-1 10:44 |只看該作者
SIS refers to Singapore International School or ESF South isand School?

3#
發表於 22-6-1 10:47 |只看該作者
回覆 lemontrees 的帖子

Singapore International

4#
發表於 22-6-1 12:44 |只看該作者
caca0924 發表於 22-6-1 10:40
請問這兩間應該如何選擇兩間都很好

都係看你自己期望
如果本身鐘意IS模式,就不能當任何一間LS是「免費IS」,因為課程理念師資都盡不同。
如果覺得傳統都ok主要不想太谷和有學費考慮,就Marymount ,但高小一樣要攪呈分,同本身一定要跟足EBD課程,你睇吓課程啱唔啱。
其實讀讀下轉國際都大有人在,但國際初小最開心會miss了,同性格定型看你想那一邊。
你去兩邊問可能兩邊答案都不同

5#
發表於 22-6-1 22:28 |只看該作者
964000 發表於 22-6-1 12:44
都係看你自己期望
如果本身鐘意IS模式,就不能當任何一間LS是「免費IS」,因為課程理念師資都盡不同。
如 ...
其實本來沒考慮LS,因為大家說機率不高家裡本身主要講英文,我女兒不會講廣東話
新加坡國際並不是happy school, 所以我覺得功課量或是學術應該差不多
只是身邊朋友都很推薦Marymount

6#
發表於 22-6-1 23:38 |只看該作者
caca0924 發表於 22-6-1 10:40
請問這兩間應該如何選擇兩間都很好

就SISHK情況介紹下,
Student Mix:SISHK會有1/3大陸背景的同學,多於1/3至一半係新加坡同學,餘下不足1/3香港本地同學。SISHK同學之間交流純英文。
學術:SISHK嘅數學科學有一定難度,數學難度更貼近國內。英文係native教法,少Grammar,多寫作和文學分析,相信難度大於MPS。中文係普通話簡體字,MPS係繁體字,哩點已經係好大嘅分別。
升學:SISHK係中四IGCSE+IB,MPS係小六呈分+DSE。唔同嘅學制就決定咗差別,SISHK小學可以直升就相對少壓力,到中三中四先會有大D嘅壓力。
Homework: SISHK小學大部分作業校內可以完成,少量小組project,對比一般LS,作業量已經算好少。SISHK中學先開始加作業,一般每日都會有作業要喺屋企完成。

7#
發表於 22-6-2 00:18 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 LLLT 於 22-6-2 01:33 編輯

認識小朋友讀Marymount,雖然比一般傳統女校的學習壓力細,但係都有不少功課、默書、test 和考試。教學方面,只有英文有點像IS的教法,其他科都係用本地學校的教法。
升中不是一條龍,每年有些Band 2的女仔不能升上原校中學。

8#
發表於 22-6-2 00:33 |只看該作者
Marymount is happy school, low work load.
70% - 80% students from MPS can go MSS, so competition is only those few at 1a level which aim for SPCC and DGS or IS. Many of them will go overseas before F3.

Therefore, the loop will go back. Have you tried to apply ESF or other international school. They do have happy life in primary stage usually.

9#
發表於 22-6-2 07:31 |只看該作者
lemontrees 發表於 22-6-2 00:33
Marymount is happy school, low work load.
70% - 80% students from MPS can go MSS, so competition is  ...
I didnt apply other international school as I didnt want my child to be brought up in a super happy and lay back environment. I would prefer to build up her foundation and discipline in primary school which enhance her self learning and eventually we will go overseas for further studies.
Yes I have heard Marymount is consider happy school among local school standard.
One of my major concern is my girl do not speak cantonese, so Im not so sure the playground language among students.

So hoping can get more insight and speak to some parents.

Thank you

10#
發表於 22-6-2 07:59 |只看該作者
caca0924 發表於 22-6-1 22:28
其實本來沒考慮LS,因為大家說機率不高家裡本身主要講英文,我女兒不會講廣東話
新加坡國際並不是happy scho ...

Which school are you in now? a local kinder? If you worry  SIS is not happy enough, you may apply ESF later.  But my friend’s son graduated from there said he has been very happy and highly recommended the school.
I am not sure about SIS exactly but most IS should get 1-2 homework only weekly so that’s still way less than MPS, which probably get at least 2/3 daily. Moreover MPS still got tests and exams etc, not to mention at higher primaries they need to prepare 呈分試, so why bother ? People said MPS is relaxed mainly in the context of comparing  with other traditional girl schools which are known to be demanding, but you are comparing with IS.
Of course one  can switch again later but my daughter has been growing up with a bunch of friends since little and school is like her second family,  I think that’s priceless.

11#
發表於 22-6-2 08:08 |只看該作者
caca0924 發表於 22-6-2 07:31
I didnt apply other international school as I didnt want my child to be brought up in a super happy  ...

Then just go for MPS, there are other non Chinese speaking/ non Chinese ethnics students too I think they will find their own circles, and in long run could learn some Cantonese too.

12#
發表於 22-6-2 09:47 |只看該作者
964000 發表於 22-6-2 07:59
Which school are you in now? a local kinder? If you worry  SIS is not happy enough, you may apply E ...

本帖最後由 nervousmichelle 於 22-6-2 10:37 編輯

其實LS好多時功課係重複性嘅,例如抄寫墨書計數,但如果小朋友已經掌握咗相關知識,再做咁多哩D功課就係浪費時間。IS功課量少,係因為要畀小朋友更多時間睇書,睇書會轉化為知識,而且對比做功課嘅知識更加廣泛。好似中文同英文,唔係練習做得多就會成績好,更需要大量廣泛閱讀。而IS嘅課程設計畀到更多時間同空間小朋友去閱讀,而不是做大量操練應付考試。

13#
發表於 22-6-2 10:23 |只看該作者
Marymount is a “happy school” among the local schools but their way of teaching is still local style.  Do you want that? It’s not easy to be admitted to SIS p1.  I bet many candidates in the waiting pool wish you to release your spot.

14#
發表於 22-6-2 10:43 |只看該作者
doublebmama 發表於 22-6-2 10:23
Marymount is a “happy school” among the local schools but their way of teaching is still local sty ...

Agree. It is really competitive to join SISHK from P1. Even siblings cannot be guaranteed a spot.

15#
發表於 22-6-2 10:45 |只看該作者
nervousmichelle 發表於 22-6-2 10:43
Agree. It is really competitive to join SISHK from P1. Even siblings cannot be guaranteed a spot.

There were only less than 20 places for outsiders this year

16#
發表於 22-6-2 11:05 |只看該作者
nervousmichelle 發表於 22-6-2 09:47

其實LS好多時功課係重複性嘅,例如抄寫墨書計數,但 ...

I totally agree, I am not a homework fan. My kid never do any copy book homework, not much worksheets to bring home and no spelling quiz since year 4. The kids just spend time in reading and writing stuffs that has become part of their life since little with ample free time and cultured by school.  I don’t think they are slack and “ hea” at all. Their English standards are still kept way above average compared with standard test overseas. (Most well established IS are)
When my kid was little, there was spelling HW that you could decide  how many times you wanted to write a word as long as you could spell the word correctly without copying. My kid always chose to write once only since she knew how to spell already.
They also give differential spelling list to students of different abilities.
For maths they do maths in school everyday with pre and post assessments to assign you the right level and make sure you understand what’s taught, and do provide online practice at home ( but my kid didn’t do much cos she think it’s repetitive and I’ve made sure she knew the stuffs already )If kid is interested in maths they will do more challenging outside school stuffs by themselves, if not, that’s fine, just keep up with school level.
For Chinese HW the traditional way is still copying and memorising , and that’s the part we spend most time in HW. There are different levels too if you want to relax of course you can go down the level. For local parents we want to keep at the highest stream possible.
But if reading habit is not well developed and parents provide no guidance and encouragement, learning could be affected and maybe some kids really need more spoon fed and structured type curriculum. However the root problem of being unmotivated should still be tackled.
IS gives lot of flexibility to kids, parents should teach the kids “more freedom means more responsibility” and parents still monitor and give guidance accordingly, then enjoy the wonderful and painless school life!

17#
發表於 22-6-2 11:45 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 LLLT 於 22-6-2 11:57 編輯

我自己小朋友在SIS畢業,而認識Marymount的兩位女孩都好熟。如果要比較兩所學校的運作,基本上功課量、家長參與、學習壓力、教學方法…都非常不同。

小朋友當年讀SIS小學時好少帶功課回家做,平時做自己喜歡嘅嘢,家長可以放手讀到畢業。

18#
發表於 22-6-2 12:50 |只看該作者
nervousmichelle 發表於 22-6-2 09:47

其實LS好多時功課係重複性嘅,例如抄寫墨書計數,但 ...
謝謝 你的解釋 那我大概明白Local School 的方式因為 我們 可能不太了解本地教學的方式

19#
發表於 22-6-2 12:51 |只看該作者
LLLT 發表於 22-6-2 11:45
我自己小朋友在SIS畢業,而認識Marymount的兩位女孩都好熟。如果要比較兩所學校的運作,基本上功課量、家長 ...
想請問你的小朋友是什麼時候畢業的

20#
發表於 22-6-2 12:54 |只看該作者
doublebmama 發表於 22-6-2 10:23
Marymount is a “happy school” among the local schools but their way of teaching is still local sty ...
It is true, even my daughters has Singapore passport and we still attended additional rounds of interview.SIS is a good school and hard to get in. Its just when we got Marymount for central allocation, all our friends and teacher said its a good school and recommend us to go for it.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題
你需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 註冊