教育王國 討論區 國際學校 家中點樣由全英語境加返中文?
樓主: yankiyan
go

[其他] 家中點樣由全英語境加返中文? [複製鏈接]

21#
發表於 21-1-28 01:22 |只看該作者
hilary_tang 發表於 21-1-27 20:54
回覆 yankiyan 的帖子

Definitely introduce Cantonese asap. Children pick up languages so easily esp  ...

Thank you for your sharing
Yes actually I prefer one parent one lang at this stage too
Maybe i will keep on this until i think his english is very well-developed. Then i will change to full cantonese.

22#
發表於 21-1-28 02:40 |只看該作者
在家中一句英文都唔好講!

23#
發表於 21-1-28 08:51 |只看該作者
yankiyan 發表於 21-1-27 19:53
本帖最後由 yankiyan 於 21-1-28 01:19 編輯

其實我工人姐姐可以講廣東話/英文

“就算講中文,第五句又變番英文”
即係唔太識講,只捱到幾句

24#
發表於 21-1-28 08:58 |只看該作者
文英妮妮 發表於 21-1-28 02:40
在家中一句英文都唔好講!

其實如果學校夠語境,屋企又好港式英語,咁真係唔講好過講,見有D父母都自己都講得辛苦又辭不達意。
不過現在停課番唔到學,尤其未考到一條龍學校的,又驚太少英文keep唔到,可能屋企都要頂住先。

25#
發表於 21-1-28 10:43 |只看該作者

回覆樓主:

本帖最後由 mandy_ng207 於 21-1-28 19:42 編輯

我覺得讀得國際學校,英文應該係小朋友嘅第一語言。所以我覺得屋企點都要有少少英文語境,一親一語又好,聽吓audiobook又好,唔好淨係靠學校。六歲前小朋友就會揀定自己嘅第一語言,如果揀咗中文,將來嘅英文就會係由中文譯出嚟,冇辦法好似鬼仔咁流利。
我自問英文唔差,但始終係第二語言,而家同阿仔(year 2)傾偈,發覺自己真係追唔上佢,但我覺得咁樣先係正常。
同班同學中有部分人屋企唔講英文,佢哋嘅英文真係有啲港式,我就覺得比較可惜啦。
至於中文,我仔六歲之前都係麻麻地。但我屋企有三個人係講唔到英文句子嘅,包括日間照顧佢嘅爺爺嫲嫲。因為佢哋冇辦法同我仔用英文溝通,我仔死死地氣半中半英都要講少少中文,佢越學得多中文,就會越夠膽用中文同老人家溝通。
所以我覺得三人一齊嘅時候最好講返廣東話,起碼等佢知道你哋用廣東話舒服啲,又有一個parent keep住講廣東話,佢慢慢就會pick up到,唔使就佢三人一齊講英文。
希望幫到你~

26#
發表於 21-1-28 10:58 |只看該作者
mandy_ng207 發表於 21-1-28 10:43
我覺得讀得國際學校,英文應該係小朋友嘅第一語言。所以我覺得屋企點都要有少少英文語境,一親一語又好,聽 ...

本帖最後由 yankiyan 於 21-1-28 11:10 編輯

多謝你意見
但我唔係ftm
我地99%時間係3人一齊
如果3人一齊時講廣東話
其實會無機會講英文..

27#
發表於 21-1-28 12:18 |只看該作者
I am also struggling a lot to keep up my kids Chinese. We speak English more at home in general when the kids are young, and send my kids to Chinese learning centre since they are 4 years old. Now i speak Cantonese at home and my husband speaks English to the kids, but Canto to me. However, my kids Chinese speaking is definitely very behind. He cannot express himself comfortably in Chinese, always need to supplement with English.

If I can do this again, i would choose to have everyone speak in Chinese at home from early age. I feel that the kids have enough English exposure from school, friends, TVs, iPad, books etc and once they pick up the language it’s easy for them. Chinese is much harder. Chinese has no phonics, they have to memorise the words, and need to understand each Chinese character. And they are not exposed to too much Cantonese TV as well. I wouldn’t worry too much about falling behind in English at such an early age if your kid goes to international school unless the teachers express any concern.

28#
發表於 21-1-28 12:26 |只看該作者
yankiyan 發表於 21-1-28 10:58
本帖最後由 yankiyan 於 21-1-28 11:10 編輯

多謝你意見

爸爸在場,一齊傾偈,講廣東話
如果仔用英文問我,我用英文答
爸爸插咀,用中文答爸爸
仔問我哋講乜,我用英文答佢

我同仔二人相處,講英文
爸爸同仔二人相處,講中文

29#
發表於 21-1-28 12:38 |只看該作者
Jenjanjan 發表於 21-1-28 12:18
I am also struggling a lot to keep up my kids Chinese. We speak English more at home in general when ...

This usually happens in families where parents speak fluent English. No matter how hard they try to use Cantonese at home, the kids will adopt English easily (perhaps when they see their parents speak fluent English with others, or simply because parents also watch English channels often). Even for the friends who send their kids to local kindy, they cannot escape this “curse”.
On the other hand, there are parents who speak HK style English and avoid English environment at home, not even TVs, IPads or audiobooks, but just relying on school. These kids are speaking “HK style English” at year 2 even though they start with an English-heavy kindy.
Depends on what your family can offer, you can always fine-tune your home language environment to suit the needs of your kids. Afterall, I don’t believe there are kids who can be “native” at both languages, being “really good” at one means the other will be compromised (like you can speak but not fluent as the “native” speakers).

30#
發表於 21-1-28 13:21 |只看該作者
Deutsche 發表於 21-1-27 18:39
我反而掉轉,小朋友講中文多過英文,但讀IS仲出去學英文好似好怪

我仔K1 暑假同K2有出去學phonics, 一星期一小時,主要貪佢西人教學。就係因為屋企無語境,想佢keep住。

31#
發表於 21-1-28 13:46 |只看該作者
Dorchu 發表於 21-1-28 00:02
What language would u say your child’s native language is if u were asked on a school application  ...

I would say English. And I am ok with my child being stronger in English because after all I chose IS and I would like them to be able to fully benefit and learn from their teachings and curriculum. I wouldn't want them to waste time learning English at school and miss out on what the teachers are trying to teach as after all IS are not there to teach English.

But I have no doubt if I keep my child's Cantonese fluent, they will pick up adequate Chinese for work. I don't expect them to become a Chinese author or poet though haha.

32#
發表於 21-1-28 13:48 |只看該作者
mandy_ng207 發表於 21-1-28 12:38
This usually happens in families where parents speak fluent English. No matter how hard they try to ...

Completely agree that there is no one size fits all. Really depends on your family's fluency and what language you use with your child will definitely change as their language develops.

33#
發表於 21-1-28 15:58 |只看該作者
hilary_tang 發表於 21-1-28 13:46
I would say English. And I am ok with my child being stronger in English because after all I chose  ...

I agree. My kid didn’t speak a word of Chinese until he started grade 2 or so. Now he is fluent in it.

34#
發表於 21-1-28 16:53 |只看該作者
mandy_ng207 發表於 21-1-28 10:43
我覺得讀得國際學校,英文應該係小朋友嘅第一語言。所以我覺得屋企點都要有少少英文語境,一親一語又好,聽 ...

想請問港式英文係指口音還是用詞?

35#
發表於 21-1-28 18:06 |只看該作者
Deutsche 發表於 21-1-28 16:53
想請問港式英文係指口音還是用詞?

兩樣都有。口音不似鬼仔,講英文要諗,似英中畢業嘅香港人。但講緊由幼稚園開始讀國際學校喎。

36#
發表於 21-2-13 04:30 |只看該作者

回覆樓主:

本帖最後由 細佬Bebe 於 21-2-13 05:10 編輯

We started to speak in Cantonese as soon as we decided on the IS path and got an IS offer at around age 2.5.

Before that, it was one parent in Canto and one parent in English (non-native speaker), plus a Filipino helper speaking basic English.

Thanks to the full swift to Cantonese before 3 yo and his bilingual (Mandarin for Chinese, of cox) kindie, he picked up Cantonese really fast.Now, his Cantonese is excellent and is very interested in reading Chinese books and recognising Chinese words.I would say, this is all worth it.His logical thinking and development in verbal reasoning and emotional expression are well facilitated by the good development of native Cantonese.

And with the excellent Cantonese foundation, he is learning Mandarin in a good progress (I didn’t expose him to any Mandarin before IS K1, not even Mandarin songs).Only after half year at school, he can speak and listen to Mandarin and the pronunciation is impressively native.At the beginning of school, he was resistant to Mandarin.I would say, if we hadn’t switched to Cantonese then, his Mandarin learning would likely have been disastrous now.Not to mention his love for Chinese books.

On the other hand, his English does not “sound” like an IS kid, mainly because he is studying in a bilingual IS so his exposure to English is not as much as other IS kids.His listening, oral English and vocabulary are at IS level while his accent is not native (improving after half year at school, though).

I am happy with that.When compared to IS kids who sound very native in English but doesn’t speak Cantonese at all, I don’t mind that his English learning lag a little bit among IS kids in kindie stage.I am very confident that he will pick up in 1 year or two.

It really depends on how badly you want your kid to be native in English.Most parents are greedy.They want native in BOTH.

It’s impossible in my opinion.Many parents aiming high usually end up with their kids only speak good English and, to different extents, hate to learn Chinese.

As far as I observe, those pretty native-English kids in IS kindie stage do not prefer to speak Chinese.This would definitely hinder the subsequent Chinese learning, because Chinese is so hard to learn to read and write.When in primary school, it is almost impossible to make them like Chinese anymore.

Honestly, if none of the parents are native English speaker, it doesn’t do as much good as you think to keep speaking English at home.To a certain extent, Konglish / Philippino English pollute the choice of vocabulary and accent.To illustrate this point, if I had had polluted my kid with my mandarin (proficient but nowhere near Native), I am pretty sure that his Mandarin pronunciation would have been worse now.

My two cents are:

1) change to Cantonese as soon as possible and read lots of Chinese books with your little one.

The change can be gradual.Perhaps one of the parents to speak in both languages like translation, provided that that parent is capable of doing that.

At his early stage of switching, I facilitated his Cantonese learning by one English sentence followed by Cantonese translation.Also when he started to learn Mandarin, I spoke to him in three languages like this “Let’s have strawberries.我地食士多啤梨啦(廣東話) 我們吃草霉 好嗎?(國語)”

It’s a process only. The goal is to change to full Cantonese at a speed that your kid accepts and doesn’t feel lost.

2) keep his exposure to QUALITY English on a daily basis (English books / audios, zoom class).Konglish or Philippino English don’t count as quality English environment.

AND

3)last but not least, be prepared that his English may not be as native as other IS kids at kindie stage.  It depends on a lot of factors like his talents in language acquisition). Accept that is the cost to pay for better Chinese.

One can’t have it all. Make an informed choice now or u can only accept his poor Chinese soon.

37#
發表於 21-2-13 04:39 |只看該作者
yankiyan 發表於 21-1-27 15:58
佢而家2歲多d

我諗而家開始中文佢應該都肯講既..

本帖最後由 細佬Bebe 於 21-2-13 05:07 編輯

2歲幾你仲話到事 再過幾個月 佢會同你講 “mommy why are you speaking this (Canto)? I dun like this”

再入左IS k1 我假設你個間係全英 佢好難會愛上中文 (唔會有種感情係裡面)

最多好似我地學西班牙文/日文咁 係一門外語咁學

2歲幾係最後時機

38#
發表於 21-2-13 11:06 |只看該作者
mandy_ng207 發表於 21-1-28 18:06
兩樣都有。口音不似鬼仔,講英文要諗,似英中畢業嘅香港人。但講緊由幼稚園開始讀國際學校喎。

你個仔都好細啫, 等於香港小一,小朋友係國際學校浸多幾年,點會唔native 呢,除非學校語境晤好,太多本地生插班由local 轉入。

都係嗰句啦,為咗英文好而輕視中文,都係返唔到轉頭。唔好講讀寫,連聽講都有問題,之後條路只會越來越越難行

39#
發表於 21-2-13 16:35 |只看該作者
我屋企全中文,但仔由細到大睇YouTube /電視/同同學打機都係英文,佢而家10歲,講中文都係要諗下先講到,有時掉轉晒嚟講,我問過佢,因為佢想講嘢時腦海中都係英文先嘅,所以中文要時間翻譯。
所以我覺得如果你小朋友佢第一語言已經係英文,屋企人就算只講中文,都唔會影響佢英文程度

40#
發表於 21-2-13 22:05 |只看該作者
JuliaCKL 發表於 21-2-13 16:35
我屋企全中文,但仔由細到大睇YouTube /電視/同同學打機都係英文,佢而家10歲,講中文都係要諗下先講到,有 ...

本帖最後由 964000 於 21-2-13 22:30 編輯

其實我見女的同學,例如日本人,國內人,蘇聯人,都一樣分別可以説流利日語普通話蘇聯話,而英語又非常native, 大前題是個呀媽英文不大好,在家和小孩只説母語,而自少(6歲前)在學校又有足夠native English exposure。
反而香港人父母的小朋友更多不大説廣東話,因為香港人父母比較愛自細跟小朋友説英文,之後太遲轉唔到台。

‹ 上一主題|下一主題