密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 海外留學 comment on boy boarding school
查看: 6484|回覆: 24
go

[英國] comment on boy boarding school

發表於 20-10-6 11:36 |顯示全部帖子
Dear All

would like to have your comment on the boy boarding school :- Tonbridge and Whitgift

would like to have more information before making a decision

發表於 20-10-6 12:09 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 GIPW 的帖子

It really depends on what your selection criteria are. Without knowing that it's a bit difficult to give you any comments.

I think the key in my opinion is if you're looking for a proper boarding experiences, then you wouldn't choose Whitgift. It is a huge school (1,500+ students) but has only about 100 boarders (including weekly and full boarding). You can imagine most of the full boarders will be overseas students. Do you want your child to be surrounded by overseas students at night and over the weekends?

Even though Tonbridge nowadays is leaning more and more towards weekly boarding, at least 60% of the students are boarders.

發表於 20-10-6 12:19 |顯示全部帖子
beastiebistro 發表於 20-10-6 12:09
回覆 GIPW 的帖子

It really depends on what your selection criteria are. Without knowing that it's a ...
thank you..  This is the angle I have not thought of .

So in your opinion, do you think if surronded by full boarder is better than day school students ? that he will better settled himself in a surronding that is new to him ?

發表於 20-10-6 12:24 |顯示全部帖子
GIPW,
You mentioned you want more information before making the decision, I presumed that your son has received offers from both of them.

I strongly agree with beastiebistro, there are only 100 boarders in Whitgift, And more importantly, the week boarder may constitute over 50% already. Hence only around 50 boys are staying during the weekend.

You can expect that most of these full boarders are Mainlanders, Hong Kong, some other orientals and maybe Russian (since they are so damn rich). All of these will not make the boarding life fruitful and colourful. On the other hand, it also makes the school less flexible in organising activities.

In addition, those boarders may have very limited opportunities to interact with local if they are not particularly sociable.

In contrast, Tonbridge is also a huge school with a much bigger boarding population. And it is particularly popular and well-received among the local student, not only overseas.

Academically, Tonbridge has been very successful and outstanding, significantly better than Whitgift. I would say in some situation, Tonbridge is even better than Westminster, Winchester and Eton...... Local thinks Tonbridge should be one of the best.

That said, Whitgift is very strong in sports, if your son is very talented in sports, it would be a great place for him.

發表於 20-10-6 12:24 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 GIPW 的帖子

Assuming your son will be a boarder, I definitely think it is a very important aspect. You are spending so much money to send him to boarding school, I would have thought you'd want him to get the most out of the experience, not just some good grades.

If there aren't enough boarders over the weekends, there's nothing to do. You can't even play a game of pick up football. Your son would be surrounded by locals during class. But how much interaction do you think they would have? They can't very well chat about what they want during class. The bonding and interaction really happens AFTER school. There's a difference between having 100 boarders and 450.

發表於 20-10-6 13:46 |顯示全部帖子
Thank you very much for all your information.  

Both schools have not given him offer.  I just make some daydreams at the moment.  

As I personally have not study aboard before so I thought I better seek help and advice from the experienced parents.  

Thank you for your feedback

發表於 20-10-6 13:54 |顯示全部帖子
horace_hywong 發表於 20-10-6 12:24
GIPW,
You mentioned you want more information before making the decision, I presumed that your son  ...
BTW, a bit too late to ask, rather than the above two schools, which boys school will you recommend ?  If we did not get a offer this time, I will aim at year 16 in take.  Coed will be underconsideration.   Thank you

發表於 20-10-6 14:13 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 GIPW 的帖子

I think you need to decide on a few things first:
1. are you considering year 9 entry? if so which year? 2021 Sept?
2. so failing that, it would be year 12 entry? 2024 sept?
3. What is it you are hoping to get out of the school? or what are your selection criteria?for example,
- a traditional, full boarding experience
- just academics
- sports
- music

To be honest, there aren't that many all boys, full boarding schools in the UK anymore. Off the top of my head, Eton, Harrow, Winchester, Radley and maybe Sherborne.

Other good boys schools with smaller or small boarding contingents include: Tonbridge (60%), Abingdon (10-15%), Dulwich college (less than 10%), Bedford school (20%).

You'd probably be better off considering co-ed schools if you want a wider choice.

發表於 20-10-6 14:22 |顯示全部帖子
beastiebistro 發表於 20-10-6 14:13
回覆 GIPW 的帖子

I think you need to decide on a few things first:
Many Many thanks

do you mean there are 60% (Tonbridge) of the studends are boarders ?

1. we are too late for year 9 entry.  I am actually applying year 10 at the moment and this is an odd year so the chances are slim

2. If we fail to get then we will target year 12 at 2022

3. I yet need to talk with him on this.

BTW, besides Brigton , which co-ed school will you recommend ?

發表於 20-10-6 14:41 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 beastiebistro 於 20-10-6 14:42 編輯

回覆 GIPW 的帖子

Yes, 60% (around 450) board at Tonbridge but it includes weekly boarders.

Personally, I wouldn't choose Brighton College. It has a high number of mainland chinese students (that is the reason why the results are so good recently). It's a matter of being super selective at admission, rather than necessarily added value by the school. It is a big school (1,100+ students) but only 30% board (including weekly boarding) so it would not be what I would consider a traditional English boarding experience.

If you are just looking for a school that would get you good results and into a good university (and don't care too much about boarding experience) you are better off going for the Oxford International Colleges, or the Cardiff sixth form colleges or the Concord Colleges or you could try for Brighton College at year 12.

If on the other hand, you are looking for a genuine English Boarding Experience for your son, and you don't mind co-ed, there are really a lot of choices. You could try my alma mater, Rugby School. You could try Charterhouse, Oundle, Shrewsbury, Uppingham, Repton, Bromsgrove etc. Some people like Epsom and Caterham. You have to be prepared to look beyond just results and rankings. To be honest, there will be students that get into Oxbridge and Russell Group universities in ALL of these schools, there will be those that drop out. There will be good teachers and bad teachers. And the results only reflect the past year's cohort. It is really down more to the student than the school. If you are prepared to think like that, then look for the right boarding experience for your son.

If he is sporty, Wellington College or even Cheltenham College. If he is musically inclined, Wells Cathedral, King's School Canterbury, etc.

Really there are a lot of choices but you need to list out some criteria yourself (with your son), decide what's important and then look for the right schools.

發表於 20-10-6 14:50 |顯示全部帖子
beastiebistro 發表於 20-10-6 14:41
回覆 GIPW 的帖子

Yes, 60% (around 450) board at Tonbridge but it includes weekly boarders.
Thanks beastiebistro

Need to talk to him again .  Thanks for all the info

發表於 20-10-6 15:43 |顯示全部帖子
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

發表於 20-10-7 22:19 |顯示全部帖子
I am also considering Y10 entrance. My worry is whether my kid can catch up with the curriculum as some school might already start teaching GCSE in Y9. And most of the boarders start from Y9, whether my kid can easily blend in.

發表於 20-10-7 22:36 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 c9chun 的帖子

Regarding the curriculum, you shouldn't worry. The GCSE curriculum was designed for Key Stage 4 (yrs10 and 11) and only takes two years to master. Even if some schools start in Year 9, it shouldn't be a problem catching up. The only situation where that might be a problem is if your child's English is weak as most of the subjects are taught in English.

As for blending in, that depends really on the group that he is with. I joined Year 10 directly (admittedly years ago) and I had no problems blending in. Of course I was an out-going person and I played most sports. That really helps blending in at boarding schools. Most boarding boys are quite "simple" (for lack of a better word), you join them in games and they welcome you.

發表於 20-10-8 10:56 |顯示全部帖子
c9chun 發表於 20-10-7 22:19
I am also considering Y10 entrance. My worry is whether my kid can catch up with the curriculum as s ...
If you are thinking of year 10 2021 then you must act quick as I know most of the schools has closed for application.  Otherwise you still got some times to do some research

發表於 20-10-8 12:48 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 GIPW 的帖子

I think the application closing date is one concern, the amount of available places at Y10 is also another concern. Y9 is the normal intake year for senior school so most places are taken then. There are usually only a handful (or even none) of places available at Y10.

發表於 20-10-8 13:09 |顯示全部帖子
beastiebistro 發表於 20-10-8 12:48
回覆 GIPW 的帖子

I think the application closing date is one concern, the amount of available place ...
You are right.  Due to age constrain , we can only apply year 10.  if we failed then we need to wait for year 12 application.  So wish us good luck.  

發表於 20-10-8 13:15 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 GIPW 的帖子

Of course, Good luck to your son.

發表於 20-10-8 22:08 |顯示全部帖子
Thanks for all the advice. Have already started exploring through an agent. Just my heart is still 1516 coz my kid is a bit quiet and introvert, pondering if I should consider Y10 or Y12 entrance.

發表於 20-10-10 11:47 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 seabird6623 於 20-10-10 11:51 編輯

My agents suggested to apply...
Abingdon school
Brighton College
Epsom college
Whitgift School  
Caterham School

Uppingham college

Bromsgrove school

I think too many and any suggestions for me to choose and apply

I agree a traditional boarding school life is better...

My son wants to study in Co-ed school (He is in boy school now)