搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 ESF Application of K1
樓主: Falcon媽媽
go

[其他] ESF Application of K1 [複製鏈接]

21#
發表於 20-9-1 15:01 |只看該作者
回覆 Falcon媽媽 的帖子

Haha yes or unless you can afford the kindergarten debenture. Good luck!

22#
發表於 20-9-1 15:02 |只看該作者
Falcon媽媽 發表於 20-9-1 14:33
回覆 gavroche915 的帖子

Because local kindergartens or maybe some of the int'l kindergartens will i ...
Well, I believe ESF does that through the assessment interview as well, agree? Isn't it a good thing they give interview opportunities to as many candidates as possible? How can a school determine whether the candidate is well behaved and active through some basic information written on the application?
If there are limited vacancies, and both candidates have passed the interview assessment, what do you think makes one candidate stand out from the other candidate by looking at the information on the application which deserves giving weight over a random number? The home address they fill in or the parents' occupation? Is this the so called "elite" you are implying?  

23#
發表於 20-9-1 15:38 |只看該作者
回覆 gavroche915 的帖子

I read from some old posts that the random number game was upsetting some parents as the school even doesn't hv a chance to hv an assessment for their child.
Also from the old post, if A is more outstanding than B but B has a better random number, then the school will give offer to B instead of A.

So I thought the assessment is only for passing English level, I don't think they will determine the candidates' behavior which usually happened in LS. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think u misunderstood me that the "elite" i'm implying is referring to children's ability, I'm not talking about wealth, home address or occupation.

24#
發表於 20-9-1 16:09 |只看該作者
Falcon媽媽 發表於 20-9-1 15:38
回覆 gavroche915 的帖子

I read from some old posts that the random number game was upsetting some p ...
I haven't applied to ESF but I think the whole purpose of having a random number system is because it's sometimes very difficult to weigh one student over another based on either the information written on the application itself, or the performance during the interview. Many candidates are equally strong during the assessment. Given the number of applicants ESF receive each year, the random number system does play a role to give fair opportunities to everyone.
Yes some schools do screen applicants based on a number of factors (e.g. gender, date of application, nationality etc.) until they fill up all the vacancies. Whether that's fair or not is also debatable. For ESF, we are talking about thousands and thousands of applications each year. You would agree that ESF receives the largest number of applications across Hong Kong given the number of member schools they have right? If they have 100 applicants that are equally strong, but only 50 vacancies, eventually they have to make the difficult choice. The random number system does help to eliminate subjectiveness under such circumstance. Sometimes, we do have to accept the fact that luck plays a role throughout our lives. Be it applying for a school, taking an exam, looking for a job. We as parents need to relax~~     

25#
發表於 20-9-1 16:20 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 siuta 於 21-5-12 12:29 編輯
gavroche915 發表於 20-9-1 15:02
Well, I believe ESF does that through the assessment interview as well, agree? Isn't it a good thing ...

- deleted -

26#
發表於 20-9-1 16:23 |只看該作者
回覆 gavroche915 的帖子

Totally agree with you.
Just sometimes thought that random number is not a fair game as half of the candidates cannot have a chance for showing themselves and some parents really pay hard effort for them. I can imagine their disappointment when receiving the waitlist email.

Anyway, my fds, sister-in-law who their kids are now in ESF said it's not difficult to get into this school. But I don't think it is as luck always not stand behinds me. LOL

27#
發表於 20-9-1 16:28 |只看該作者
回覆 siuta 的帖子

Yes. I think I will be very upset if my son being rejected is because of random number instead of his performance.
Of coz need to apply more for backup.

28#
發表於 20-9-1 16:46 |只看該作者
siuta 發表於 20-9-1 16:20
I think it's better for students who are better to get offer rather than those who have better luck. ...
Yes you are right and I think this is what all schools are trying to achieve as well. But sometimes we need to appreciate there are limitations in every screening process. Imagine they interview every candidate from the thousands of applications. How long do you think it would take to finish the whole assessment process? Will parents be patient enough to wait for more than 6 months before the results come out? And will a 10 minute assessment be enough to weigh all the candidates? For schools that interview every applicant, do you think they don't rely on other factors to screen candidates even if they tell you it's purely based on the candidate's performance?
To be honest, putting the debenture priority aside which many IS adopts (I personally quite hate it as it has deviated too much from its original intention of guaranteeing expatriates' children a spot as employers pay for a corporate debenture to save employees from too much hassle when staying in Hong Kong. But business is business, we need to live with it), I think the random number system should be by far the fairest.         

29#
發表於 20-9-1 17:40 |只看該作者
hilary_tang 發表於 20-9-1 15:01
回覆 Falcon媽媽 的帖子

Haha yes or unless you can afford the kindergarten debenture. Good luck! ...

I know someone who bought 500K debenture but got rejected after the play visit, ESF is not purely non selective I would say.

30#
發表於 20-9-1 17:50 |只看該作者
cheungwahaha 發表於 20-9-1 17:40
I know someone who bought 500K debenture but got rejected after the play visit, ESF is not purely n ...
I think the so-called non-selective is they are looking for kids who can communicate in English(basic requirement), but not looking for the best kids.

31#
發表於 20-9-1 18:49 |只看該作者
It is non selective.
Certain level of English proficiency is a entry requirement, just like age also entry requirement. These didnt give a rank. So it still non selective.
If demand more than supply, and based on non selective, there are to introduce a tool/ rule to fill the vacancy by e.g. first apply first fill, or lucky draw from successfull pool....poor me not able to suggest the third options....so it is very fair from my point of view

32#
發表於 20-9-2 09:40 |只看該作者
回覆 Falcon媽媽 的帖子

Random number only determines where your kids are on the queue (ie who will interview earlier or later)
Once your are invited to interview, you will either pass or fail. Random number won't affect your interview results at all.

33#
發表於 20-9-2 10:26 |只看該作者
回覆 lauyinkei 的帖子

But there was a post said that if 2 child got interview and they also pass the assessment, the school would gave the offer to the one who had the good random number. So random number also played a important role to the interview. They didn't consider the child's ability but random number only.

34#
發表於 20-9-2 11:26 |只看該作者
Falcon媽媽 發表於 20-9-2 10:26
回覆 lauyinkei 的帖子

But there was a post said that if 2 child got interview and they also pass th ...

If passed, the kid will either get offer (better random number) or on waitlist (poorer random number) in offer letters.
How can they know the kids passed the interview but got rejected? Or they were in fact on waitlist? If they are on waitlist, they still have chance.

ESF interview is only to assess if the kids are seen to be able to communicate in English? Isn't it one of the kid's ability.

What kind of abilities you think ideal schools should look at during K1 play visit when the kids are mostly less than 2 years old?

35#
發表於 20-9-2 18:46 |只看該作者
Falcon媽媽 發表於 20-9-2 10:26
回覆 lauyinkei 的帖子

They didn't consider the child's ability but random number only.
This is correct, a child either passes or fails the interview (play visit), there is no grading so there is no such thing as passed with flying colours or passed but barely made it. So if 2 children pass the interview but there is only 1 spot left, then the one with the better random number will get it.
In fact there is no grading throughout ESF kindergartens and primary schools, no tests, no assessments, so for those who believe their child is gifted and so should be regularly assessed and be given preferential treatment according to ability, then ESF is probably not the right path, at least not their kindergartens and primary schools.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題