用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 PN class: Trilingual or Bilingual?
發新帖
查看: 1180|回覆: 2
go

[其他] PN class: Trilingual or Bilingual?

發表於 20-7-29 23:21 |顯示全部帖子
Dear parents, planning to send my son to IS. Some private kindergartens provide Trilingual and Bilingual classes. Want my son to pick up fluent English to get ready for IS in primary. What should be our choice out of trilingual and bilingual stream? Our home language Cantonese mainly supplemented with English. Any parents with experience to share? Thanks!!

發表於 20-7-30 09:11 |顯示全部帖子

回覆樓主:

本帖最後由 964000 於 20-7-30 09:13 編輯

If you intend to go to IS, you should optimise his exposure to English at early stage. Being trilingual means 1/3 time English and bilingual is 1/2 time English. If I were you I will pick at least 5/6 time English, ie 30 min mandarin everyday and English for the rest of time. That’s enough to comprehend mandarin and be fluent in English.
For Cantonese once you get into a through train school you should change back to Cantonese completely right away at home (preferably before 4), if later than this there is a possibility that the kid will not be willing to speak Chinese in the future. If you change early enough once you secure a spot, the kid could become native speaker of both languages. It helps a lot in future chinese learning.
That’s my experience.

發表於 20-7-30 22:12 |顯示全部帖子
Thanks a lot for your sharing! My intention is to preserve Chinese at home and ideally basic level of writing and reading when he grows up. After all, Chinese is harder to pick up than English in both reading and writing. So I assume your child can speak Chinese fluently, how about reading and writing, can you share some tips?
On the other hand, I am just preparing in case he could not go to through train IS kindy, the next option would be bilingual (Eng + Mandarin) one. Heard that the format is 2 NET teachers in the class at the same time, thinking how effective it really will be, and if my son will tend to stick with the English teacher only (which indeed becomes more than 50% time immersed in English).