用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 本身讀國際學校,但宜家打算bno移居uk讀當地state schoo ...
樓主: candykinder
go

[小學] 本身讀國際學校,但宜家打算bno移居uk讀當地state school?   [複製鏈接]

101#
發表於 20-7-27 10:27 |只看該作者
Osiana 發表於 20-7-27 09:52
This is also true in HK.  As far as I know many local schools do only provide limited learning instr ...
Yes, that is very true.  
I was mainly sharing the article as the OP was considering between IS in HK and a state school in the UK. Ofcourse there are many other reasons for moving to UK or not aside from this IS Vs state school comparison.

102#
發表於 20-7-27 10:53 |只看該作者
KIMLIFEINUK 發表於 20-7-16 00:10
However, I do like London very much, it takes only 30 mins plus to get to London from my place, henc ...
Hi KIMLIFEINUK,

I hope you are well and staying safe.

Your information is really helpful.  Does your kid in state school or grammar school?  I heard that there will be entrance exam for Grammar school.  Do you know what the test will cover?  

Many thanks.

103#
發表於 20-7-27 10:56 |只看該作者
hilary_tang 發表於 20-7-27 10:27
Yes, that is very true.  
I was mainly sharing the article as the OP was considering between IS in H ...
Yes, I think learning the culture and becoming English proficiency are also some reasons for going to UK.  And, now the BNO visa seems to be very attractive because the kids can go to state schools. This is a very attractive option for not affluent parents, like me.  

104#
發表於 20-7-27 12:23 |只看該作者
回覆 KIMLIFEINUK 的帖子

I plan to go to UK but prefer to stay in zone1/2 in London as I will likely work in Canary Wharf area.  Do you know E14 well and if there’s any good school nearby? I don’t mind to stay in Greenwich or even Stratford if there’re better school in those district.  Waiting for your advice and thanks 😊

105#
發表於 20-7-27 13:29 |只看該作者
Osiana 發表於 20-7-27 10:53
Hi KIMLIFEINUK,
Hi Osiana, Thanks!! My daughter took the 11 plus test last year and she will be going to a grammar secondary school, I made the decision to leave in quite a rush last year, hence there wasn't really enough time to prepare for the exam, however, having heard all over the internet how hard the exam is and how much preparation children have  for years...My thinking is you have to really try to find out.
I did gather a lot of information and made sure I know how the whole thing work before I started. Hence, that is quite important.

If you are planning to go, I believe one has to really go over there to really feel how things are. So far, things are working out really good for me, basically I only had 4 months to plan things out, from ground zero, I didn't even know what would be in the test, however, I signed up my daughter to a local mock exam, and It surprised me!!

106#
發表於 20-7-27 13:30 |只看該作者
Osiana 發表於 20-7-27 10:56
Yes, I think learning the culture and becoming English proficiency are also some reasons for going t ...
Your english is perfect already!!!

107#
發表於 20-7-27 14:00 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 KIMLIFEINUK 於 20-7-27 14:04 編輯
Bunnygirl 發表於 20-7-27 12:23
回覆 KIMLIFEINUK 的帖子

I plan to go to UK but prefer to stay in zone1/2 in London as I will likely ...

Hi Bunnygirl, e14 is under London Borough of Tower Hamlets, so as Straford which you have mentioned. However, Greenwich is under Greenwich London Borough Council, so they have different schools and policies.

Tower Hamlets:
State schools
73 primary schools
17 Secondary schools

Private school:
10 primary schools
10 Secondary schools

Greenwich:
State schools:
22 primary school
14 secondary school

private schools:
7 (excludes special schools)

Is your kid in primary or secondary school age?

Personally I really like Greenwich, it is a very beautiful place, it has this holiday feel as the town center is always full of tourist attraction especially the sunday market. There are a lot of restaurants and fun things to do there, like visiting lots of museums. I visited Greenwich many many times, the place is great, people who lives there are mostly middle class and above, it feels very safe (at least for me), every summer, they have this huge funfair in the open green area.

Have u been there? It is so close to London too, I used to drive there, for non peak hours, it took me 10 to 20 mins to london tower bridge. Peak hour, maybe 30-40 mins. But driving is not a good option for morning,  train is very easy and fast, a lot of buses too.

For tower hamlet, there is one thing u need to consider, it is ranked as one of the poorest place in UK, u can read the gov report on this:
https://www.towerhamlets.gov.uk/Documents/Borough_statistics/Income_poverty_and_welfare/Indices_of_Deprivation_High_resolution.pdf

It has been the most deprived place in uk for many years already, I have heard that for years to be honest. I wonder if u have been to the area. Stratford which u have mentioned does seems like a new city to me after the last olympic, many old buildings have been regenerated and it seems like a nice place to live when u have a big westfield shopping mall in the area. I have never lived in the area but I have also visited the place many any times. My friend has a flat there and it always rented out good.

I believe, having said that its the most deprived area, it is actually quite ok if you don't live too close to some council flat areas. If you pick the right spot, i guess its still a very good location, close to everything! You might also want to consider Bow area, which is a very mature area, with DLR direct to canary wharf in 10 minutes.

My impression is greenwich is a family area and tower hamlet is more a young working people kind of place. That is my feeling towards these 2 places.

108#
發表於 20-7-27 14:48 |只看該作者
KIMLIFEINUK 發表於 20-7-27 13:29
Hi Osiana, Thanks!! My daughter took the 11 plus test last year and she will be going to a grammar s ...
How could you do all the prep work in 4 months?  That's amazing!  Do you already have a place to stay so you can apply for school?  Fortunately, my girl is still young so I still have some time to plan ahead.

In fact, the more information I get, the more hectic I am!  I am a bit puzzled that it is required to present an address proof or council tax receipt to apply for school. But, before I have a confirmed school place for my girl, I can't decide where I should live. My priority is a place close to the school.

Kent sounds like a good place. I plan to live it a smaller city/town but have access to London within a short drive. I will explore the living environment and schools in this region.  Any recommendation?  

Thank you.

109#
發表於 20-7-27 15:00 |只看該作者
hilary_tang 發表於 20-7-27 10:27
Yes, that is very true.  
I was mainly sharing the article as the OP was considering between IS in H ...
I truly understand the reasons behind it. As Covid-19 has not completely gone away, online learning inevitably is a necessary option for students to maintain their learning schedule.

Indeed, parents regardless of regions are all very concerned about the education of their children.

110#
發表於 20-7-27 16:15 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 KIMLIFEINUK 於 20-7-27 16:16 編輯
Osiana 發表於 20-7-27 14:48
How could you do all the prep work in 4 months?  That's amazing!  Do you already have a place to sta ...

Yes it was such a rush, maybe it was better that way, so I didn't really consider "what if", I just went ahead and did it, basically, I just quickly rented a house and quickly intensively tutored my daughter for the exam and also quickly registered everything I needed, I left without much luggages, I can always come back and get my stuff later, so I basically just carried my hand carry and go, no check-in luggage, That was quite good actually, I discovered I actually don't need much to survive!

I did have all the address proof and the right doc, I just wanted to do it right, although in a rush but I made sure I did everything by the rules, so no surprise there.

點評

Osiana    發表於 20-7-27 16:18

111#
發表於 20-7-27 17:22 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 hilary_tang 於 20-7-27 17:23 編輯
Bunnygirl 發表於 20-7-27 12:23
回覆 KIMLIFEINUK 的帖子

I plan to go to UK but prefer to stay in zone1/2 in London as I will likely ...

Just sharing what I heard from my friends: I had 3 friends who all lived and worked in Canary Wharf. And once their children were school aged they all moved to other areas with better state schools e.g. Kingston, Barnet. One of them told me there was only one state school she found to be decent in her Canary Wharf catchment and it was oversubscribed.
Perhaps you can consider what may be your priority in terms of living area ie a good state school, size of your house vs proximity to work. Many people in London commute from places further out like Kent.

112#
發表於 20-7-27 18:33 |只看該作者
hilary_tang 發表於 20-7-27 17:22
Just sharing what I heard from my friends: I had 3 friends who all lived and worked in Canary Wharf ...

Yes very true, London is very competitive in terms of school places and quite a lot of good schools are faith schools which u do need proof from Church that u did attend church regularly (some I saw dated back to 2-3 years), so one should check out the schools' places before making the decision.

113#
發表於 20-7-27 21:30 |只看該作者
KIMLIFEINUK 發表於 20-7-27 14:00
Hi Bunnygirl, e14 is under London Borough of Tower Hamlets, so as Straford which you have mentioned ...
Many thanks!
I lived in Canary Wharf many years ago and know that area well.  Just thinking to return there for work but now w kids.  if the area is not good for kids then may find another better area but still need to be close to CW.

114#
發表於 20-7-28 02:28 |只看該作者
Bunnygirl 發表於 20-7-27 21:30
Many thanks!
I lived in Canary Wharf many years ago and know that area well.  Just thinking to retur .

I like canary wharf too, now its so busy all the time, looking at those water facing  flats, they look so beautiful, the DLR is so clean, much better than underground and train.

The place is really where the money is.

115#
發表於 20-7-28 14:19 |只看該作者
回覆 KIMLIFEINUK 的帖子

There has over 15 developments in Canary Wharf right now and thus there is huge of supply.Moreover, despite Poplar / South Quay / Island Gardens / Canning Town / Blackwall are all located in E14, the living place, price, rental are significantly different.

116#
發表於 20-7-28 15:01 |只看該作者
merci2046 發表於 20-7-28 14:19
回覆 KIMLIFEINUK 的帖子

There has over 15 developments in Canary Wharf right now and thus there is  ...

There are 10 primary schools and only 2 secondary schools in the e14 postcode.

Do you mean a huge supply of new build in the area? Isn't that make the school places even more competitive than ever?

However, for young professional who hasn't got kids yet, canary wharf is such a wonderful place to live!

117#
發表於 20-7-28 17:22 |只看該作者
貝珠 發表於 20-7-7 10:07
其實都唔打算再在呢個平台回帖,不過見到呢個hot topic , 就搭下咀。我計劃中,因為去到英國一定冇現在的收 ...

Pm-Ed, thanks a lot in advance.

118#
發表於 20-7-28 18:26 |只看該作者
KIMLIFEINUK 發表於 20-7-28 15:01
There are 10 primary schools and only 2 secondary schools in the e14 postcode.

Do you mean a huge ...
It’s only a good place up to South Quay but down the DLR all the way to Lewisham is very unsafe area.  Not sure situation improved now. But if school supply is so limited I guess better to stay in further outskirts.

119#
發表於 20-7-28 18:47 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 KIMLIFEINUK 於 20-7-28 18:49 編輯
Bunnygirl 發表於 20-7-28 18:26
It’s only a good place up to South Quay but down the DLR all the way to Lewisham is very unsafe are ...

Agreed, Last summer when I went to Lewisham, a lady was attacked inside her car, I heard someone was trying to pull her out and beat her from/inside her car. She was about late 20 or 30 ish, I remember she was crying loudly and her boyfriend was trying to comfort her...She was so shaken.

It might be just an one off event, but it just happened when I was visiting there, so unsure if it was a sign or not.

120#
發表於 20-7-28 20:15 |只看該作者
回覆 Bunnygirl 的帖子

Lewisham is already far away from E14.  Generally speaking, CW is suitable for occupants who are working in CW.  If you have change to be in there, the light of the building is always on even in the mid-night.  Workers buy there meal box from Jubilee Place at 7-8pm and then go back to office for work.  Tube is still crowd during the night time in weekdays.

For investment prospective, one bedroom / studio is a good choice.  For the view of school catchment zone , only consider towards West London starting from London Bridge.

‹ 上一主題|下一主題