用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
查看: 27416|回覆: 64
go

HKIS  

發表於 17-10-12 12:08 |顯示全部帖子
Can parents of HKIS share what you feel about this school?  I have asked a friend who graduated from there and he loves the school and highly recommends it to us, but would like to hear more from other parents too.  thank you very much

發表於 17-10-13 17:41 |顯示全部帖子
My son joins reception 1 this year and I can tell he loves the school so much. He enjoys going to school everyday and that's a big difference compare to last year. He tells us a lot more about what he learns or does in school. He has quite a lot of homework in kindergarten but he can't memorize what he has learned. And for now even he looks like just playing everyday but he actually learns quite a lot of knowledge throughout the activities. To conclude I feel so grateful that we can join this school. :)

發表於 17-10-13 19:01 |顯示全部帖子
抺茶雪糕 發表於 17-10-12 12:08
Can parents of HKIS share what you feel about this school?  I have asked a friend who graduated from ...

My son just started as R1 this year. He really likes it and the good thing is there are many parent events and involvement if you really want to. You can be a volunteer as a TA for half hour and see how ur kid doing at school. Teachers are very helpful and there is a good communication between teachers and parents.

發表於 17-10-14 11:14 |顯示全部帖子
Both of my kids are graduates of HKIS. My son joined the school at Grade 7 while my daughter joined the school at Grade 8. They respectively left the school some 9 and 5 years ago. They loved much very much liberal art style education provided by the school.

發表於 17-10-14 17:57 |顯示全部帖子

回覆樓主

How good is the level of Chinese at HKIS? I have heard that amongst international schools (excluding the bilingual ones), CDNIS has one of the better Chinese programs and am curious to know how HKIS compares in this area.

發表於 17-10-17 13:27 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 thirdculture 的帖子

I could not compare the Chinese programme of HKIS and CDNIS because I have no knowledge about CDNIS. However, as a parent, I am satisfied with the Chinese programme offered by HKIS. Both of kids need Chinese in their profession. Both of them can cope with the Chinese language required by their jobs.

發表於 17-10-26 19:50 |顯示全部帖子
Shootastar 發表於 17-10-17 13:27
回覆 thirdculture 的帖子

I could not compare the Chinese programme of HKIS and CDNIS because I have ...

Thanks, good to know! Looks like your kids went to HKIS after primary school, did they go to local school or another international school before HKIS?

發表於 17-10-27 10:30 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 thirdculture 的帖子

My two kids completed P.6 at local schools before joining HKIS, one at G.7 (F.1) and the other at G.8 (F.2).HKIS offered a Chinese programme for students with Chinese mother tongue (known as "near native Chinese programme". The standard of this program is comparable to the local standard.

發表於 17-10-28 12:00 |顯示全部帖子
Shootastar 發表於 17-10-27 10:30
回覆 thirdculture 的帖子

My two kids completed P.6 at local schools before joining HKIS, one at G.7 ...

Do you know if other kids who went through primary school at HKIS goes to this Chinese native stream as well? I would imagine their Chinese is not as good as those who went to primary in the local system, just wondering the level they are at.

發表於 17-10-30 10:18 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 thirdculture 的帖子

I do not have figures but I believe your thinking is correct.

發表於 17-11-1 12:10 |顯示全部帖子
Shootastar 發表於 17-10-14 11:14
Both of my kids are graduates of HKIS. My son joined the school at Grade 7 while my daughter joined  ...
may i know how is liberal art style education different from the other systems? thanks

發表於 17-11-1 13:21 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 抺茶雪糕 的帖子

The main feature of a liberal art styled education is the freedom afforded to the students to explore their own interests. Apart from the traditional subjects, you have an opportunity to explore different subjects such as psychology, computer science, world history, US history, astronomy, European history, computer principle, and even self research. For example, if you are interested in Maths, the course of Linear Algebra is also offered to the students.
You can click below the link for the courses offered to the students by HKIS:

http://www.hkis.edu.hk/uploaded/ ... 0817_HSP_4pages.pdf

The visual arts and performing arts subjects offered are too many to describe. After the exploration in the High School, the students could know what are their interests in the subjects. In any event, the exploration in different fields will enhance their horizon of knowledge, both academic and non-academic.

發表於 17-11-6 09:53 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 1992英语baby 於 17-11-6 09:53 編輯

All I heard about HKIS Is very positive and HKIS students are well-balanced.   Very US style school

發表於 17-11-6 12:14 |顯示全部帖子
How about the discipline?  I know the school is quite free and would like to know if there's any issue with discipline specially in high school.  Overheard about some drug issue many years ago (maybe over exaggerated by rumor) but not sure the situation now.  I think academically no doubt HKIS is one of the top intl schools in HK.

發表於 17-11-6 17:35 |顯示全部帖子
Don't worry too much, drug issue can happen in Any school (LS or IS).   

發表於 17-11-7 15:52 |顯示全部帖子
1992英语baby 發表於 17-11-6 17:35
Don't worry too much, drug issue can happen in Any school (LS or IS).
Can't agree with you more. Drugs and Sex problem exist in both LS and IS.

發表於 17-11-7 15:56 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 Bunnygirl 的帖子

HKIS is the first school which carry out compulsory drug test on the students.
About 10 years ago, each day they randomly chose two students and have their few pieces of hair cut for examination on drugs. The parents were required to sign the consent letter or else they should withdraw from the school. Severe discipline action would be taken if the result was positive.

I have no idea whether the hair test is also carry out nowadays.

發表於 18-1-23 15:13 |顯示全部帖子
i wonder if there are very few hkis families living on kln side?  if we are lucky enough to have the offer, we have to make really quick decision on moving to hki or not (shorter time to be spent on school bus and more convenient having playdates with friends)

thanks for your advice

發表於 18-1-23 16:26 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 1992英语baby 於 18-1-23 16:43 編輯
抺茶雪糕 發表於 18-1-23 15:13
i wonder if there are very few hkis families living on kln side?  if we are lucky enough to have the ...

Don't worry, HKIS is a big school, lots of families live in Kowloon and you have to take school bus even you live in HK island,,,    Check with the bus company Kwoon Chung right after you get the offer.  

發表於 18-1-23 19:16 |顯示全部帖子
抺茶雪糕 發表於 18-1-23 15:13
i wonder if there are very few hkis families living on kln side?  if we are lucky enough to have the ...

In my class (16 kids in total) there’s 3 kids living in Kln side. But their school bus time is about the same as my kid (we live in hk side). So I think u dont have to worry too much abt the location problem. But of coz it will be great if you can move closer to the school if possible!