密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 Vic Kindy to IS?
查看: 10901|回覆: 85
go

Vic Kindy to IS? [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 17-7-20 19:50 |只看該作者 |倒序瀏覽 |打印
Wondering if it is possible for graduates of Victoria Kindergartens to go to IS primary or reception levels? I am wondering if Vic kindies can prepare children's English level well enough to deal with IS interviews. Any parents with children in Vic kindies can share ? Thanks in advance!
   5    0    0    0

2#
發表於 17-7-20 19:54 |只看該作者
Atecila 發表於 17-7-20 19:50
Wondering if it is possible for graduates of Victoria Kindergartens to go to IS primary or reception ...

So many ESF Y1 students from Victoria in my boy's year.

3#
發表於 17-7-20 21:32 |只看該作者
For those Victoria students I know, they are all proficient in bilingual or even trilingual languages.  Personalities wise they are outgoing, pleasant and confident to meet IS environment.  You can check Vic school website for their graduate admission stat into IS.

4#
發表於 17-7-20 22:12 |只看該作者
babyjip 發表於 17-7-20 21:32
For those Victoria students I know, they are all proficient in bilingual or even trilingual language ...

The stats on Victoria's website cannot fully reflect how many of its students got admitted by IS, as students left for IS would have left Vic after K2 but the stats only shows where their students go after K3.  

My personal experience with Victoria is unless you speak English at home, you cannot solely rely on the teaching from Victoria to train your kid for IS.  

5#
發表於 17-7-20 22:33 |只看該作者
我女都係Victoria畢業生,佢和同屆同學考到IS都有好幾個,考到的IS亦有好幾間唔同類型。有些係家庭提供到語境,父或母操流利英語,或根本係混血兒,所以英文好唔係完全歸功學校。

但亦有一個同學仔,對佢印象特别深。係廣東話家庭,講開係爸爸情意結,覺得自己有才華但被英文拖後脚,所以一定要個仔讀IS,結果佢仔亦係K2升IS。呢個case學校係幫到,個男仔亦係非常開朗多言的類型。

6#
發表於 17-7-20 23:28 |只看該作者

回覆樓主:

本帖最後由 bamalamb 於 17-7-20 23:45 編輯

My child completed K2 in Vic and is now in ESF. We are a Cantonese speaking family, we speak 7:3 Cantonese to English with her at home. My suggestion is to send your child to Vic bilingual class as early as possible for better English environment. My child's case is that she couldn't understand Mandarin at first so was forced to communicate in pure English during the whole period of PN and K1. Her English progressed very well in just one year. By the end of K1, she was able to pick up Mandarin as well and was confident to speak in both languages at school. By mid-K2, both her English and Mandarin were already pretty proficient for IS interviews! Hope this help!

7#
發表於 17-7-21 00:31 |只看該作者
siubotze 發表於 17-7-20 22:12
The stats on Victoria's website cannot fully reflect how many of its students got admitted by IS, a ...

Yes actually the stats on the website only shows graduates of K3. I just wonder how many kids would leave after K2 for IS. Did your little one attend Vic before and go for IS?

8#
發表於 17-7-21 00:37 |只看該作者
bamalamb 發表於 17-7-20 23:28
My child completed K2 in Vic and is now in ESF. We are a Cantonese speaking family, we speak 7:3 Can ...

Thanks for your sharing indeed! Does Vic offer bilingual class at PN level ? I thought they only offer that in K1 but I am not sure. Would you mind sharing which campus of Vic your child attended? Am just wondering whether all campuses have sufficiently good English environment. Thanks in advance again!!

9#
發表於 17-7-21 07:04 |只看該作者
Atecila 發表於 17-7-21 00:37
Thanks for your sharing indeed! Does Vic offer bilingual class at PN level ? I thought they only of ...

Only CWB campus offers PN bilingual, but if you are in other campuses you can apply bilingual stream for K1.

https://www.victoria.edu.hk/eng/Programs/Nursery_And_Kindergarten/Program_and_Activity_Times.php

10#
發表於 17-7-21 09:11 |只看該作者
Jane1983 發表於 17-7-20 22:33
我女都係Victoria畢業生,佢和同屆同學考到IS都有好幾個,考到的IS亦有好幾間唔同類型。有些係家庭提供到語 ...

Oh I see- thanks for sharing! Just curious- which campus your child attended before? Um ... seems family would need to speak to the child in English if Aiming for IS....

11#
發表於 17-7-21 09:13 |只看該作者
bamalamb 發表於 17-7-21 07:04
Only CWB campus offers PN bilingual, but if you are in other campuses you can apply bilingual strea ...

Thanks for the link! Got it - seems CWB campus offers better language environment with bilingual PN. But it's very difficult to get in.

12#
發表於 17-7-21 10:33 |只看該作者
Atecila 發表於 17-7-21 00:31
Yes actually the stats on the website only shows graduates of K3. I just wonder how many kids would ...

My girl was with Victoria PN.  We left for ESF K1 because we felt the school does not provide sufficient English immersion if we aim at IS.  It was a hard decision for us because my girl learnt a lot at Victoria as well but her English was not up to standard for IS year 1 interview after a year with the school.  The decision to change school turned out to be right.  After a year's time, my girl's English improves drastically and she got a number of offers from the recent interviews.

13#
發表於 17-7-21 10:38 |只看該作者
回覆 Atecila 的帖子

理論上,父母應該用母語跟小朋友溝通,咁樣最利溝通,可以將自己人生的精華教育小朋友。如果父母英文麻麻,用詞貧乏,但又堅持用英文,咁仔女學唔到乜嘢好英文之餘,亦學唔到父母的人生智慧。
不過實際上,interview前,你多少睇佢情况幫佢準備。如果對答和反應唔得,你都要多d同佢練習。

14#
發表於 17-7-21 10:48 |只看該作者
Atecila 發表於 17-7-21 09:13
Thanks for the link! Got it - seems CWB campus offers better language environment with bilingual PN ...

當然課室以外都一定要提供足夠語境。我哋幼稚園期間所有興趣班同埋summer school全部native英文直至佢考到IS offers。除咗IS Kinder, 我個人認為Vic英普班語境已經非常好。咁當然不能同IS kinder比,但亦要考慮IS kinder中文真的非常弱!

15#
發表於 17-7-21 14:04 |只看該作者
Atecila 發表於 17-7-21 00:31
Yes actually the stats on the website only shows graduates of K3. I just wonder how many kids would ...

I think the majority of kids at Victoria who plan to go to IS would have left before K3. It is much easier getting into the pre-reception and reception classes of IS since those are the largest cohorts, hence they would leave after PN and K1. The ones who enter ESF Y1 would leave after K2.

16#
發表於 17-7-21 14:29 |只看該作者
bamalamb 發表於 17-7-21 10:48
當然課室以外都一定要提供足夠語境。我哋幼稚園期間所有興趣班同埋summer school全部native英文直至佢考到 ...

Thanks -very helpful advice indeed! Am still a bit struggling whether to go for pure IS or bilingual schools like VSA. Hence wondering if going to Vic kindies can get me both ways.. ha ha ; re 中文程度,你指IS 中文差?yes I guess probably so; would you mind sharing what IS your child get into after Vic K1? Thanks again for sharing your experience indeed; very valuable-!

17#
發表於 17-7-21 22:51 |只看該作者
Atecila 發表於 17-7-21 14:29
Thanks -very helpful advice indeed! Am still a bit struggling whether to go for pure IS or bilingua ...

My daughter went to ESF after K2. Compared to local kinders, I can't say Vic's Chinese is strong (not until K3 at least) but am sure it is stronger than ESF kinder. Vic (VSA) has a very good balance between English and Chinese, but I personally like the cultural mix in ESF where my daughter enjoys playing and learning with children from different parts of the world. Both schools have their pros and cons of course, your decisions should be made based on what your family values the most.. Chinese level? International experiences? British or Asian style IB school? Peer mix? Values?

18#
發表於 17-7-21 23:24 |只看該作者
Atecila 發表於 17-7-20 19:50
Wondering if it is possible for graduates of Victoria Kindergartens to go to IS primary or reception ...

I know quite a number of Victoria kids who left for IS after PN and K1. My son completed K1 with Victoria and will be joining IS this Aug. I think if you are aiming for IS, you need to let your kids to have more exposure to English outside school.

19#
發表於 17-7-22 15:56 |只看該作者
siubotze 發表於 17-7-21 10:33
My girl was with Victoria PN.  We left for ESF K1 because we felt the school does not provide suffi ...

Many thanks for the sharing again! My boy is a December baby - so I think the chance for him getting into esf K1 is quite low. So am thinking letting him attend Vic PN but not sure if it prepares him for the IS route. If not may have to go for anfield or Kingston. Of course if he gets into EsF kinder, I won't need to worry about his English level then.....do u mind sharing what other IS offers you r child has got after ESf ? Many thanks in advance!!!!

20#
發表於 17-7-22 15:58 |只看該作者
bamalamb 發表於 17-7-21 22:51
My daughter went to ESF after K2. Compared to local kinders, I can't say Vic's Chinese is strong (n ...

Many thanks - you have listed a very useful issues list for us to consider indeed! Guess we do want the international exposure while keeping some level of Chinese if possible. Seems difficult to have both worlds though ...
‹ 上一主題|下一主題