密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 del.......
樓主: samsam123321
go

del.......   [複製鏈接]

61#
發表於 17-1-5 00:08 |只看該作者
If you check out the ESF website, when they invited inspiring alumni for interview  they were TV chef, mountaineering expert, philanthropist,  Olympic swimmer etc but no doctors/Lawers/successful entrepreneurs etc
Of course there are plenty of alumni who were the later but you can see the prospectus of the school from this example. As a parent see if you like this way or not and if this is in line  with your own expectation. There is no absolute good or bad.

點評

delldell888    發表於 17-1-5 15:13

62#
發表於 17-1-5 07:12 |只看該作者
Let me go back to the thread's question. Here is the difference I observe :
1/ IS kids speak only English with their schoolmates vs LS mainly speak Chinese
2/ in most IS, they offer one more third language outside English and Chinese(Chinese will usually be streamed depending on your kid's ability). One of my children's school even has a foreign language which is mandatory (Chinese is their 3rd language)
3/ in IS, a majority  of children are having foreign passports
4/ IS kids tend to take risks in the activities they engage in. They send children out to go diving, expedition in desert, skiing, building houses for the less privileged every year. That can be eye opening. All these need to be paid by parents of course. In mainstream LS, we seldom hv these kinds of activities

63#
發表於 17-1-5 07:15 |只看該作者
But the resources offered by different LS can differ a lot. Some private or DSS LS may also be able to offer more activities to children as they hv bigger autonomy on where money can be spent. However it is never comparable to IS.
I cannot generalise on specific ability of IS vs LS students as that really depends on individuals, but 2 things for sure:
1/ most IS students hv better English but Chinese is not as good as LS children
2/ students from IS are mostly from better off families

64#
發表於 17-1-5 07:20 |只看該作者
Kittybama 發表於 17-1-4 12:09
單看你這段回應,就看得出來自LS畢業的典型思維狹益。
一般權威型父母都會覺得自己孩子有許多地方不足,需 ...

Pls mind your aggressive language in judging the perspective of local graduates. This is supposed to be a platform for more experienced parents to share the views to those who need help.

65#
發表於 17-1-5 10:46 |只看該作者

引用:Quote:Gmama+發表於+17-1-3+16:04+恭喜你選

原帖由 samsam123321 於 17-01-03 發表
有咩層次唔同呢?
LS students tend to wait for material to be taught and notes to be distributed by the lecturer, then study them and prepare for examinations. In the workplace, they wait for the boss to give them directions and then work hard to serve the boss. IS students tend to think and discuss issues with the lecturer when preparing for and attending lectures, and are then stimulated to raise open questions and do their own research to answer the questions. In the workplace, they anticipate problems and address them before even being directed by the boss, and hence later they becomes bosses. This learning attitude is nurtured from primary school in IS.

66#
發表於 17-1-5 22:18 |只看該作者
samsam123321 發表於 17-1-3 21:16
有咩層次唔同呢?

績極主動性思考及發問,另一類學生比較被動,也極少發問問題

67#
發表於 17-1-7 10:28 |只看該作者

回覆樓主:

有需要去比較咩

68#
發表於 17-1-7 10:41 |只看該作者

引用:有需要去比較咩

原帖由 callmebabe 於 17-01-07 發表
有需要去比較咩
It's important for those parents deciding to let their kids go for the LS or IS route. By the way, if someone is targeting to study law in future, IS is better. You can ask any lawyer from big firms. Native English tongue and IS type problem solving skills are important. But if you don't mind working in local smaller firms, LS can do.

69#
發表於 17-1-7 16:01 |只看該作者
hkparent 發表於 17-1-7 10:41
It's important for those parents deciding to let their kids go for the LS or IS route. By the way, i ...
Big firm lawyers大部分都有native tongue.

70#
發表於 17-1-7 22:54 |只看該作者
Why so many parents in HK want kids to be lawyers?  Don't understand!

71#
發表於 17-1-8 08:27 |只看該作者

回覆:LittleHoot 的帖子

One more point, if you want your kid to work as a civil servant in future, local school is better. Strong Chinese and being an obedient follower are required.

72#
發表於 17-1-8 10:28 |只看該作者
hkparent 發表於 17-1-8 08:27
One more point, if you want your kid to work as a civil servant in future, local school is better. S ...

I'm not civil servant but my profession requires strong Chinese too.
Anyways for the past 20 years, with the open up of China, more and more opportunities arise. The niche of HK people is that they hv strong understanding of Chinese culture and possess strong ethical standard. The pathetic part is that HK government doesn't put a lot of resources on R&D. Therefore we are still playing a role as "servicing" large corporations to enter the China market. I really hope the new generation can help HK break through. But at this stage if we decide to stay in hk, Chinese is still playing a critical role.

73#
發表於 17-1-8 16:44 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 LittleHoot 於 17-1-8 16:46 編輯

I do not know how many of you actually went through Primany education overseas. I have seen so many kids totally wasted by 'happy' learning system at let we say 'western style' schools. Of cause, I am not with LS steam 100%, but I still believe foundation of learning is including hard working, drilling and repetition.  

What are we focusing on 'happy learning' ? Happy or learning ? Or simply you do not think kids need to learn, so for that, why do we need to teach? And send them to school?

74#
發表於 17-1-8 17:21 |只看該作者
LittleHoot 發表於 17-1-8 16:44
I do not know how many of you actually went through Primany education overseas. I have seen so many  ...

Happy learning 不等於放任;happy learning也不等於沒有基礎學習。
小兒由K1 到Year 8在IB學制下已經歷了快樂的學習、也打穩了不錯的基礎。作為家長,我們信賴學校和孩子,到中學階段,培養的重點是自主學習和奮鬥心。

75#
發表於 17-1-8 18:11 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 FattyDaddy 於 17-1-8 18:12 編輯
LittleHoot 發表於 17-1-8 16:44
What are we focusing on 'happy learning' ? Happy or learning ? Or simply you do not think kids need to learn, so for that, why do we need to teach? And send them to school? ...

You seem to think "happy" and "learning" are mutually exclusive, if you're happy you can't really learn, and if you want to learn it must be done through drilling and repetition and so can't be happy.

May be there is a way to happily learn, just that you don't believe in it.

76#
發表於 17-1-8 18:26 |只看該作者
Why learning = unhappy? 人自從一出世已經學習,學習呼吸,學習飲食,學習爬,坐,走路,學習人際....咁即是人生一開始就已經unhappy?

點評

ratafan    發表於 17-1-8 18:58

77#
發表於 17-1-8 18:28 |只看該作者

引用:+本帖最後由+LittleHoot+於+17-1-8+16:46+

原帖由 LittleHoot 於 17-01-08 發表

I do not know how many of you actually went through Pr ...
Sorry I have children who attended primary school overseas. It is very difficult to explain to you what and how students learn if you only received local Hong Kong education and do not have kids attending an international school. In fact, students work very hard in class and develop various essential skills and an independent learning attitude. As they have spent 6-7 hours in school, after school, children are encouraged to do sports and various ECAs, and read extensively. They also need to do a small amount of homework every day to consolidate learning. Minimal support from parents is necessary. If the primary school is a rigorous one with good academic results (based on regular standard tests nation-wide), some students will feel some pressure in class too, but not after school. I hope that helps, if you are serious in considering to send your child to an IS in hk.

78#
發表於 17-1-8 18:36 |只看該作者

引用:+本帖最後由+LittleHoot+於+17-1-8+16:46+

原帖由 LittleHoot 於 17-01-08 發表

I do not know how many of you actually went through Pr ...
One point about drilling and repetition in western schools - students do a lot of repetition in maths in class, and have to write a lot in English, Science, Geography and History classes. If you read the class materials returned home at term end, you will be amazed at how such a small child can write so much and so nicely.

79#
發表於 17-1-8 18:40 |只看該作者

引用:Quote:原帖由+LittleHoot+於+17-01-08+發表

原帖由 hkparent 於 17-01-08 發表
One point about drilling and repetition in western schools - students do a lot of repetition in math ...
Even at lower primary, students have to write in response to open-ended questions, and devise their own questions in response to a discussion topic, being guided by the teacher. You will be amazed. But that's a norm.

80#
發表於 17-1-8 19:03 |只看該作者
hkparent 發表於 17-1-8 08:27
One more point, if you want your kid to work as a civil servant in future, local school is better. S ...
其實做公務員無雙量,無長馮,進升慢(除左某些職系),是否真係咁好做?
‹ 上一主題|下一主題