用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 Attention!! All Canadian citizens with kids born out ...
樓主: jolalee
go

Attention!! All Canadian citizens with kids born outside of Canada!!!!!

發表於 16-9-20 13:57 |顯示全部帖子

引用:+本帖最後由+random_dad+於+16-9-20+12:43+

原帖由 random_dad 於 16-09-20 發表
本帖最後由 random_dad 於 16-9-20 12:43 編輯
sorry for quoting your speech. Your explanation is clear. I am just curious to hear the discussion (or right) of applying home return card...

發表於 16-9-22 09:46 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 random_dad 於 16-9-22 09:49 編輯
FattyDaddy 發表於 16-9-20 13:42
No I would not say it is a bit of a reach if we put things into context.
The majority of ethnic Chin ...

Respectfully, I would suggest that your application of context isn't correct.

Ethnic Chinese Hongkongers that have never emigrated elsewhere would not be part of this context of the renunciation of their Chinese nationality, because they will not be able to, as one cannot renounce their nationality without having already obtained another.  You cannot become stateless voluntarily.  The context of which the renunciation applies is only for, as you put it, the minority who have obtained foreign nationality.

Within this subset of people of which the rule can only apply to, from my personal experience, I would still like to suggest that your observation isn't entirely correct.  I will suggest that there are two categories of people within this subset; the "parents" and the "children".

While a significant portion of "parents" may have returned to Hong Kong, I don't think it's the majority.  For example, the statistics in the early 2000's suggested that there were more than 400,000 Chinese in the Greater Toronto Area (the largest Chinese population outside of China/Hong Kong), with the overwhelming majority from Hong Kong, as immigration from Mainland China was few and far in between.  Further, there was steady emigration from after 1989 right up to the handover, as the events of 1989 triggered a wave of application, and time for applications + time needed to stay in a foreign country for the majority would have been 5 years or greater (2 years application + 3 years stay for Canada or 5 years for Australia or 7 years for USA), and as such returning before 1997 would have been difficult for many.  Of these folks, only those that entered Hong Kong just before July 1 1997 or the 18 months following would have qualified for retaining their Right of Abode if they were to renounce their Chinese nationality.  Those returning after that would have needed to not have entered Hong Kong at all for more than 36 months continuously.

For the "children", as anecdotal evidence, I have noticed the migration back to Hong Kong began just after 2000 and continued throughout the decade, having graduated from University and having perceived their economic opportunities were better in Hong Kong as a result of their language and cultural deficiency.  These same "children" that have returned are now looking at returning overseas or having recently done so, as they now have their own children and are looking at the education system here as dysfunctional as compared to what they have attended overseas, and therefore desiring an international school now, with the consideration of sending their children overseas soon or in the near future.  I can tell you from personal experience that a great majority of those I know that have primary school aged children today and hold a foreign nationality has already returned to the foreign country within the last year or two, or is on their radar to go well before upper secondary school begins.  The events in Hong Kong in the last two years seems to have been a contributing factor as well, whether as an excuse or not for their decision to leave.

For what it's worth.  It's my 2 cents.  You may disagree.  :)

發表於 16-9-22 10:00 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 random_dad 於 16-9-22 10:00 編輯
oooray 發表於 16-9-20 13:57
sorry for quoting your speech. Your explanation is clear. I am just curious to hear the discussion ( ...

Ah, got it.

There's actually another dimension to the 回鄉卡 that I don't know whether it comes into play or not.  The way China sees it, the dual nationality issue is something grandfathered to those that had dual nationality prior to 1997, or perhaps obtained by birth.  Remember that China's view is that they only allow a single nationality, and that if you had settled abroad and have obtained a foreign nationality, you would automatically lose your Chinese nationality (as would, for example, Australians obtaining a second nationality during the period in which Australia did not allow dual nationality).  So, an ethnic Chinese national born in Hong Kong emigrates to a foreign country after 1997 and obtains that nationality.  If they apply for a  回鄉卡 only after they obtain that foreign nationality, I don't whether China would issue it, even if that person qualifies for a HKSAR passport by virtue of their birth.  The extension of that is whether from a legal perspective, they can revoke the 回鄉卡 for those Hongkongers who have obtained a foreign nationality subsequent to 1997, even though I don't believe that is being enforced at all.

http://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/residents/immigration/chinese/law.html (See Article 9)

發表於 16-9-22 11:25 |顯示全部帖子
random_dad 發表於 16-9-22 09:46
While a significant portion of "parents" may have returned to Hong Kong, I don't think it's the majority ...
For the "parents" group who emigrated in the 90's, whether the returnees are the majority is anybody's guess, but as far as their inclinations are concerned, most of them did regard periods abroad as "jail time" and wanted to return to HK as soon as possible. Evidently our experiences differ because I'm in the "parents" age bracket and I guess you're closer to the "children" group. I'm not saying which one of us is nearer to the truth, just that we have arrived at different perspectives because of different exposure.
I agree with you that for the "children" group who some of them are now parents, many of those who had returned to HK have now "re-returned" to the country where they emigrated to with their parents (or were simply born there). In fact, even the parents who once dreaded "jail time" abroad are thinking of leaving as well because today's HK is no longer the HK they once knew and loved so "jail" has now become more attractive.