用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 Attention!! All Canadian citizens with kids born out ...
查看: 6011|回覆: 43
go

Attention!! All Canadian citizens with kids born outside of Canada!!!!!

發表於 16-9-1 20:29 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 jolalee 於 16-9-3 04:21 編輯

Citizenship for All Canadian Children!

If you are a Canadian passport holder, please read on:

There is an initiative to repeal an amendment to Canada’s citizenship law (put in by the former PM) which prevents Canadian citizens from passing down full citizenship rights to children born abroad.

But, as Justin Trudeau said, "A Canadian is a Canadian is a Canadian," and I believe citizenship shouldn't have caveats.

There is parliamentary petition set up so this can be tabled in the House of Commons. All Canadian citizens can sign, regardless of where they live.

Please have a look at the petition here:  https://petitions.parl.gc.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-517

The petition is open until Dec 21st and then it can be tabled in the House of Commons. The petition is initiated by Jenny Kwan, MP for Vancouver East, and NPD critic for immigration.

Please sign the petition yourself, and/or share this initiative to all your Canadian friends!!

發表於 16-9-1 20:39 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 jolalee 於 16-9-1 20:48 編輯

加拿大近年加了新例,加國公民在加拿大以外出生的孩子不能擁有完整的公民權利。他們若配偶不是加國公民,那麼他們的子女也不能成為加國公民。懇請所有在港的加拿大公民,用兩分鐘時間click入以上網站加入自己名字,為著你的子女,讓加拿大政府知道我們對此政策如何不滿。謝謝!

發表於 16-9-2 09:34 |顯示全部帖子

引用:+本帖最後由+jolalee+於+16-9-1+20:48+編輯

原帖由 jolalee 於 16-09-01 發表
本帖最後由 jolalee 於 16-9-1 20:48 編輯

加拿大近年加了新例,加國公民在加拿大以外出生的孩子不能擁 ...
Does it mean a child born outside of Canada who has only one parent with Canadian passport will need to apply for an immigration visa and live in Canada for certain years before he can become a Canadian citizen?

It may have a great impact on some parents in Hk who have returned from Canada to work in Hk, married to a non-Canadian citizen, then gave birth to children in Hk.  How about he/she applies for citizenship for his/her spouse first so that their children can become citizens?

發表於 16-9-2 13:18 |顯示全部帖子
"The Canadian government has effectively revoked the citizenship of thousands of Canadian children born abroad since the "after first generation" exclusion to the right to citizenship came into force in 2009."

Oh wow. Did not know that? I would not be surprised if Canadian children born in Hong Kong have already been affected. I know a lot of Hong Kong born canadian children never even went through the process to obtain the Canadian passport. Most people think the SAR passport is good and parents love the convenience of 回鄉卡.

發表於 16-9-2 13:20 |顯示全部帖子
hkparent 發表於 16-9-2 09:34
How about he/she applies for citizenship for his/her spouse first so that their children can become citizens?

Of course that solve all problems.
But in that case, spouse need to land and live in Canada first to become citizen. Would not work for families that are now stationed in Hong Kong. Plus children that are already born.

點評

jolalee  Thank you for answering that, Cara. You are correct.  發表於 16-9-3 04:00

發表於 16-9-2 14:12 |顯示全部帖子
Does it affect the kids who have already obtained citizenship and passport already?

發表於 16-9-2 16:01 |顯示全部帖子

引用:Does+it+affect+the+kids+who+have+already

本帖最後由 huba 於 16-9-2 16:09 編輯
原帖由 victoryu19 於 16-09-02 發表
Does it affect the kids who have already obtained citizenship and passport already?

No, it won't affect their citizenship. However for those Canadian children born in HK (or simply outside Canada), their future children born outside Canada can no longer inherit Canadian citizenship by default.

發表於 16-9-2 16:12 |顯示全部帖子

引用:+本帖最後由+huba+於+16-9-2+16:09+編輯+\

原帖由 huba 於 16-09-02 發表
本帖最後由 huba 於 16-9-2 16:09 編輯
好似以前都係咁,隔代唔會比入籍,尤其是born outside canada

發表於 16-9-2 17:10 |顯示全部帖子

引用:Quote:原帖由+huba+於+16-09-02+發表本帖最

本帖最後由 huba 於 16-9-2 17:44 編輯
原帖由 behd 於 16-09-02 發表
好似以前都係咁,隔代唔會比入籍,尤其是born outside canada

以前無分在加拿大國內出生或海外出生都係世襲,新例影響了在2009年4月17日或以後在海外出生的加拿大人後代。

可以參考以下網頁:

Guide CIT 0003 - Application for Canadian Citizenship - Minors (under 18 years of age) http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0003ETOC.asp

Related extract:

Is your child already a citizen?

In general, a child born to a Canadian parent outside Canada before April 17, 2009, is a Canadian citizen. However, a child born to a Canadian parent outside Canada on or after April 17, 2009, is a Canadian citizen at birth only if that child is born in the first generation outside Canada ...

發表於 16-9-2 21:24 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:Attention!! All Canadian citizens with kids born outside of Canada!!!!!

I think Aussie is the same.  Don't find it an issue to me.  By then my kids should make their own choice where to give birth to their babies.

發表於 16-9-3 03:35 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 jolalee 於 16-9-3 03:56 編輯
Chole 發表於 16-9-2 21:24
I think Aussie is the same.  Don't find it an issue to me.  By then my kids should make their own ch ...

My son both an Aussie & a Cdn. Like most countries, Australia has a residency requirement, that citizenship by descent has to live in Australia for 2 years (for UK it is 5 years, which I think is fairer) in order for their kids to claim Australian citizenship. I think that is fair as citizens should have ties to their home country, but MARRYING someone in order to claim that citizenship? No one has the right to restrict love that way, or to have to choose between loving someone who's not a Canadian citizen and hence has to give up their rights for that. (Assuming we're not distinguishing between love and marriage LOL)

For this new law in Canada, there is no clause for residency, as the UK, US, and Australia have.  If my children move back to Canada tomorrow and live there for the next 30 years, they will still have a caveat on their citizenship. That really is a putative system, and it's a far cry from the sensible residency requirements that other countries have.

Personally our son is covered. Since my husband's entire family remains in Australia, we will most probably return there eventually. What we're trying to protest is not simply for personal gain, but for a law that is morally flawed. True too, that it does affect thousands upon thousands of overseas Canadian, some of whose parents probably fought hard and sacrificed so much for their kids to become Canadian citizens in the first place, and it is not right for the government to reap the benefits then (with so much money invested into our country) and discard their priveleges now.

Please pass the link to your friends if they are Canadian citizens.

Please sign the petition above
If you are a Canadian citizen (there are 295,000 of us here in Hong Kong)

發表於 16-9-3 03:47 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 jolalee 於 16-9-4 01:56 編輯

回覆 Cara2006 的帖子

Cara, parents who only applied for SAR passport but not Cdn passport for their child may not be forward thinking enough. The priveleges SAR has MAY expire after 2046 (I haven't done any research on this so anyone in the know please feel free to fill me in). Hong Kong may fully merge with China, and China unlike HK, does not allow for dual citizenship. What happens then? It may be too late if they do not act now.

發表於 16-9-3 03:59 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 FattyDaddy 於 16-9-3 04:00 編輯
jolalee 發表於 16-9-3 03:47

Cara, parents who only applied for SAR passport but not Cdn passport for their
child may not be forward thinking enough...

The HKSAR passport is really nothing more than a travel document. As many incidents have proved that HKSAR passport is next to useless when Hongkongers found themselves in trouble overseas and needed consular help.

Come to think of it, China's Embassies aren't even inclined to help their own people, why should they help you

發表於 16-9-3 04:08 |顯示全部帖子
FattyDaddy 發表於 16-9-3 03:59
The HKSAR passport is really nothing more than a travel document. As many incidents have proved tha ...
Yes Fattydaddy, you reminded us to distinguish between passport (simply a travel document) vs citizenship. For Cara's friends, it is not a matter of getting a passport, but whether or not her friends has applied citizenship for their kids. I guess they still (hopefully) have thirty years left to do that... (2046-2016=30)

發表於 16-9-3 04:22 |顯示全部帖子
jolalee 發表於 16-9-3 04:08
Yes Fattydaddy, you reminded us to distinguish between passport (simply a travel document) vs citizenship ...
The golden rule is, if one has the right to citizenship, claim it now and don't wait. Although there may be no urgency, we never know if the rules might change due to a shift in political climate.

點評

jolalee  With China, I totally agree with you.  發表於 16-9-3 06:30

發表於 16-9-6 11:31 |顯示全部帖子
I was aware of this law (not the details though), but never had much attention since my kids were born in Canada. Thanks for letting us know of the petition though.
For our generation, many of our parents gave up much (money, time, etc) to emigrate to Canada for us. So we have the passport, the education, etc. Yet, so many of our generation (like Cara said), they do not really care about the status or rights of their children born in Hong Kong, never even care to apply for Canadian citizenship and passport. Like Cara said, I have families and friends that have children born in Hong Kong and they have not applied to obtain citizenship for them.
Note however that 回鄉卡 is another huge issue for these children. For all ethnic chinese born in Hong Kong, they are all "given" the status of being a Hong Kong citizen. So even if they have obtained a Canadian passport, they cannot use their Canadian passport to travel to China, as long as you are still living in Hong Kong. If you go and apply for a visa, they would simply ask you go to apply for 回鄉卡. This is also one reason why many of these children possess a 回鄉卡.

發表於 16-9-6 11:47 |顯示全部帖子
Artie 發表於 16-9-6 11:31
I was aware of this law (not the details though), but never had much attention since my kids were bo ...

本帖最後由 Activehealth 於 16-11-22 22:32 編輯

Deleted

發表於 16-9-6 12:00 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 Artie 於 16-9-6 12:38 編輯
Activehealth 發表於 16-9-6 11:47
I was born in HK well before 97 and my boy was born in HK after 2000. We both have Australian passpo ...

I have a friend with kid born in Hong Kong. She tried to apply for a visa on a foreign passport just last year (never applied and never been to china before that). And she was told her daughter has to get a 回鄉卡 instead.
Another friend had no problem with getting a visa her child. Probably because the child has applied a few times in the past.
We suspected that there have been changes just in the past couple of year.

PS. Just wanted to share my friends cases. May be it is just one or two. But I would not be surprised if China will continue to reject visa applications from Hong Kong born chinese.

發表於 16-9-6 13:13 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:Artie 的帖子

I have experienced it two years ago. I could only apply visa for my boy if I made this application in Canada. Otherwise, I could only apply 回鄕証.

發表於 16-9-6 13:25 |顯示全部帖子

引用:+本帖最後由+Artie+於+16-9-6+12:38+編輯+\

原帖由 Artie 於 16-09-06 發表
本帖最後由 Artie 於 16-9-6 12:38 編輯
believe changes were made recently. china wants to secure her   sovereignty on even our future generations ?  !