密      碼:
搜索
樓主: momo_cheung
go

[其他] . [複製鏈接]

21#
發表於 15-10-2 21:04 |只看該作者
momo_cheung 發表於 15-10-1 15:13
21Ckid, thanks for your kindly reply, appreciated you have answered all my questions. i am curious  ...
I mean 1/3 of those entering playgroup will go back to LS. A lot of families are undecided as to IS or LS when going into playgroup when kids are only 1 year old (or several months old when given the offer) and are concerned with the kids having happy childhood etc. As I said, most families are very local, and many will return to the conventional thinking that the LS route is more appropriate for their families. Some leave after PG, some after PN, some after K1 etc. Most to reputable local kindergartens or through train local kinders. Most families are quite well off, so the capital levy of HK$100k (or $72k at my time) isn't much.

In fact the primary school teaches in IB and wouldn't be pushy at all. It is a very small and cosy school in which the principal and staff knows the names of practically all students, and for parents bringing kids to school themselves, they know who are the parents of the kids too. I think it is good. But then, you see kids leaving every year to other through train IS every year since K1 up to Grade 5 and sometimes you may feel a bit upset if your child is seen as "not able to" get outside offer yet (even though you may have all the time determine to stay in this school).

22#
發表於 15-10-3 21:18 |只看該作者

回覆:21Ckid 的帖子

Thanks for your sharing 21Ckid. Has your child stayed in Kingston for primary? What is your view towards Kingston Primary and its secondary school? Have you considered Yew Chung as a lot of parents tend to compare the two, which I am. Thanks in advance.

23#
發表於 15-10-4 23:56 |只看該作者

回覆:21Ckid 的帖子

Share your feeling. It's indeed a very nice school. We will miss it.

24#
發表於 15-10-5 14:30 |只看該作者
My son has started at Kingston since PG (K1) and now at N (K2) since Aug.  
1.        They are really play-based.  I asked the question about homework during information session last year, the English head teacher said there is very minimal homework like drawing lines, simple art work at K4 (= to K2 for local school).  The thing I like about Kingston is that even they are play-based, I get a newsletter from school every 2 months about what they would be focusing in the class, says last two months they were learning colours and shapes.  My son comes back using his fingers/hands shaping a triangle everyday asking me “mummy, what’s this?” I am not sure about critical thinking, maybe too young to tell.
2.        Kingston is 50/50, Victoria has Bilingual and English stream.  YCIS use Cantonese as medium of instruction in KG.
3.        As soon as you enter the school, we can only talk in English or PTH.  This is the house rule of the school, exception would be talking to the admin staff in their office.
4.        Kingston is known to be strong in Bilingual and a caring happy school.  I think Victoria is more academic, but I am not very sure.  Victoria is a through-train school (although not guarantee), so this may influence your decision.  We also applied YCIS, but we rejected as we were already with Kington and I don’t prefer using Cantonese at school.
5.        I am super happy about the school.  Teachers are great, good structural play-based learning and strong Bilingual programme.  The downside which most parents concerns is the Secondary school connection, they are connected to ICHK but so far away.  The school has been applying for new land to build ICHK II, but unfortunately unsuccessful.  Therefore many parents would be looking for other through-train school (including myself) and only consider Kingston Primary as back up.  
This is 2014 P6 allocation:  ICHK 24%, HKA 16%, Creative 12%, CIS 8%, Harrow 8%, Kellett 8%, Discovery Collage 4%, CAIS 4%, Lutheran School 4%, others 4%.  Please note that many students left throughout the year and there is no record knowing where they went.  Look at it from the another angle, Kingston Primary is able to lead the students to a good secondary school.  It’s just NOT a through-train school.   

I hope you find the information helpful.

25#
發表於 15-10-5 19:52 |只看該作者

回覆:VVhuilee 的帖子

My understanding is that ICHK is basically Kingston's secondary school. All graduates can go to ICHK without assessment.

26#
發表於 15-10-5 22:13 |只看該作者
Bearbearlight 發表於 15-10-3 21:18
Thanks for your sharing 21Ckid. Has your child stayed in Kingston for primary? What is your view tow ...
I will also look for a good through train school with Kingston primary as back up, same as most parents. I think the primary school is good, but as i said, you won't feel good to see your kid's classmates leaving every year and by year 3 or 4, perhaps all those from PG would have gone!

I don't know much about the secondary school, except its location is remote. Beside ICHK, Kingston also has several "special relations" school including creative secondary and hong kong academy and a jewish school (forgot the name), which as of now will in practice take anyone from Kingston if the student is interested. Of course, you never know if this relationship will change many years later.

The school had sent out a letter about a year ago indicating great hope in getting the new site in taipo, perhaps it was the front runner in the shortlist, but then probably circumstances have changed. The school is still very active in getting the secondary link up, otherwise students in kinder will only see primary as back up, and students in primary will leave mid way.

I will not consider YC as YC focuses on developing mother tongue first and most students without a good english environment outside school will lag behind other kinder IS in level of english quite significantly. That said, the quality of its education is very good as i heard.

27#
發表於 15-10-5 22:27 |只看該作者

引用:My+son+has+started+at+Kingston+since+PG+

原帖由 VVhuilee 於 15-10-05 發表
My son has started at Kingston since PG (K1) and now at N (K2) since Aug.  
1.        They are really play- ...
Thank you for your detailed sharing. I'll visit both Kingston and YC and hopefully will have a better idea about the two. Thanks again!

28#
發表於 15-10-5 22:29 |只看該作者

引用:Quote:Bearbearlight+發表於+15-10-3+21:18

原帖由 21Ckid 於 15-10-05 發表
I will also look for a good through train school with Kingston primary as back up, same as most par ...
Thanks again for your info. do you have any idea as to where do Kingston kids go if they chose to leave before entering primary? Also which primary schools will take them? Thanks a lot.

29#
發表於 15-10-5 22:54 |只看該作者
Bearbearlight 發表於 15-10-5 22:29
Thanks again for your info. do you have any idea as to where do Kingston kids go if they chose to le ...
Quite diverse, esf, rc, harrow, cdnis, cis, isf, etc.

30#
發表於 15-10-6 07:58 |只看該作者

引用:Quote:Bearbearlight+發表於+15-10-5+22:29

原帖由 21Ckid 於 15-10-05 發表
These are great schools. So people seem to view the school as a stepping stone only. Rather discouraging for prospective parents. Thanks for sharing!

31#
發表於 15-10-6 12:35 |只看該作者

回覆:Kingston Intl'

When did u apply and be able to get in K?

32#
發表於 15-10-6 18:56 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 momo_cheung 於 20-4-16 16:25 編輯

33#
發表於 15-10-7 13:47 |只看該作者

引用:+本帖最後由+momo_cheung+於+15-10-7+10:47

原帖由 momo_cheung 於 15-10-06 發表
本帖最後由 momo_cheung 於 15-10-7 10:47 編輯
Indeed, but in reality, when you see more and more people leaving with time, it's quite demoralising. But if you know what you want and hold on to your principles, it will be fine.

34#
發表於 15-10-12 12:19 |只看該作者
21Ckid 發表於 15-10-5 22:54

Thank you for the useful information and detailed analysis. I am one of the users too and satisfied with the school so far. May I ask other than Kingston, what other school will be good at the play group level in Kowloon side? I may need to get a play group for my younger one for few months and personally find the 100K will not be worth for it if only staying there for few months.
Thanks again.

35#
發表於 15-10-12 12:38 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 momo_cheung 於 20-4-16 16:25 編輯

36#
發表於 15-10-12 12:42 |只看該作者
momo_cheung 發表於 15-10-12 12:38
Hello, did your elder kid left after playgroup? May i know where to go? Can pm too. Thanks.

He is still with Kingston's kindergarden now

37#
發表於 15-10-12 23:49 |只看該作者
fanfanbb 發表於 15-10-12 12:19
Thank you for the useful information and detailed analysis. I am one of the users too and satisfied ...
Why would you want to get into PG for just a few months? While the PG of Kingston is good, I believe most others are similar. The primary reason to get into PG is to ensure through train to primary (and if you don't mind the distance, secondary too).

38#
發表於 15-10-13 17:12 |只看該作者
21Ckid 發表於 15-10-12 23:49
Why would you want to get into PG for just a few months? While the PG of Kingston is good, I believe ...

Because we may relocate to other country few months after Kingston's PG starts. Spend additional 100k for just few months seems not very worth.  Agree that PG of Kingston is very good.  Some recomend Tutor Time and note her relatively high teacher turnover rate from the Forum.  

39#
發表於 15-10-13 17:19 |只看該作者
21Ckid 發表於 15-10-12 23:49
Why would you want to get into PG for just a few months? While the PG of Kingston is good, I believe ...

My friend's kid was initially with ICHK but later withdrew and went to Shatin College.  He told it's a small but very good school, distance is not much a problem as they're living nearby.  The school (ICHK) however deosn't have too much choices for the IB subjects so then quit.

40#
發表於 15-10-15 18:48 |只看該作者
fanfanbb 發表於 15-10-13 17:12
Because we may relocate to other country few months after Kingston's PG starts. Spend additional 10 ...
I think people are willing to pay the $100k are mostly for the primary school backup. If you plan to leave before that, there is certainly no point to study in Kingston. In fact, if not for this, some parents may not even enrol PG, rather play at home. I heard quality of TT teaches varies a lot. So depends on luck.

‹ 上一主題|下一主題