密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 不去考HKIS有損失嗎?
樓主: jolalee
go

不去考HKIS有損失嗎?

發表於 15-4-1 12:56 |顯示全部帖子
Shootastar 發表於 15-4-1 09:17
both of my kids switched th HKIS after completion of local primary schools. Academically, my son's p ...
Shootastar, back to years ago, how do you manage to switch from local to international so late (after completion of local primary school), say their English? My elder gal stayed in local for 3 years in kindergarten (with NET teacher in her class) and 1 year in primary, then switched to international. She's still not having fluent spoken English compared to her classmates.

發表於 15-4-1 14:00 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:koala_xin 的帖子

My daughter is in grade 10 IB in CDNIS.  She also got transferred from local school after Primary 6.  
In my opinion, if the kid is good in languages and humanities, then IB is very suitable.  But if math and science skills are more important for the kids development, then US system is better as the theory is taught more in-depth.

點評

foolish.mom  agree with your opinion  發表於 15-4-1 18:04
jolalee  Thx, think we chose correctly    發表於 15-4-1 15:54

發表於 15-4-1 16:38 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 koala_xin 的帖子

When they were in P.1, I arranged a NET teacher to play with them once a week. The teacher did not teach them anything about their daily homework. They joined in a small group to play together with 3 or 4 boys or girls together, They had the chance of speak and hear English with a NET, When they were young, it was easier for them to pick up both spoken and written English. Sometimes, the teacher gave them some English books for them to read. A small group would create a competitive environment and encourage them to speak and talk with each other in English. By the end of the primary education, the NET gave the local F.5 English exercise for them [those exercise books were meant for the HKCEE]. Both of my son and daughter managed to complete the exercise books quite confident. I then arranged them to take the test for HKIS. It was fortunate that my son passed the examination and a spot was opened. So he was admitted to Grade 7. When son settled quite well at HKIS because his Chinese and Maths were strong. The local standard of those subjects should be higher than the IS standard, After a short period of adjustment, he mixed well with his IS students. My daughter followed her brother's pathway 4 years later.

發表於 15-4-1 17:12 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 jolalee 於 15-4-1 17:21 編輯
lui 發表於 15-4-1 10:53
True. Many ppl have a thought to supplement the inferior parts which is not right. One should look i ...

Actually, supplementing for weaknesses to prevent it from deterring Uni entry chances is fine, just not to drill on it and expect the impossible. How to motive his strengths into something that out shines others, now that's a work of art & dedication.

Thank you for everyone's well wishes. In the end we chose to stay at CDNIS. After I called HKIS and kindly declined the offer, a natural smile reappeared on my face. Hopefully, my family has made the right decision.

發表於 15-4-1 17:17 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 jolalee 的帖子

I am glad that you have made a good choice for your son. Apparently CDNIS is a good fit to your son and your family.

點評

jolalee  Thx! We feel at home :)  發表於 15-4-1 17:21

發表於 15-4-1 17:34 |顯示全部帖子
jolalee 發表於 15-4-1 06:25
回覆 imconfusing 的帖子

Thank you, we keep praying about it. We have peace (and stress ) for both ...
from your comments in EK, I am sure you are an expert in HK international schools. and I do believe you have more than enough knowledge to make the right decision. I'm just a newbie so I cannot comment with the schools. But it seems to me you like CDNIS more. Given that both are great schools, I will choose the I like with my instinct instead of comparing the the pros and cons of the schools

your reply makes my day! yay it matters very little to God. I'm in panic to get an IS spot for my 8 months baby but when I sit down and think peacefuly, why the heck should i worry?! Life is a long journey and it's just the beginning. Trust in Him and let him walk along with me. he will find me a path, the best path for me and my baby! I got inner peace again today.

發表於 15-4-1 17:35 |顯示全部帖子
jolalee 發表於 15-4-1 17:12
Actually, supplementing for weaknesses to prevent it from deterring Uni entry chances is fine, just ...
O I missed your reply! happy to hear that u choose to stay at CDNIS

發表於 15-4-1 18:24 |顯示全部帖子
回覆 imconfusing 的帖子

I can't agree with you more!

發表於 15-4-1 20:01 |顯示全部帖子

引用:+本帖最後由+jolalee+於+15-4-1+17:21+編輯

原帖由 jolalee 於 15-04-01 發表
本帖最後由 jolalee 於 15-4-1 17:21 編輯
Good for u
Tmr morning when u wake up with a smile, that means you have made the right choice. Since u have decided, I would say I will made the same choice too if I were u.

發表於 15-4-1 20:06 |顯示全部帖子

引用:Quote:jolalee+發表於+15-4-1+06:25+回覆+i

本帖最後由 964000 於 15-4-1 21:29 編輯
原帖由 imconfusing 於 15-04-01 發表
from your comments in EK, I am sure you are an expert in HK international schools. and I do believe  ...

Same for me, God have made the choice for me regarding IS vs LS! I was always wavering between the two.  I even  start to miss the application deadline of one of the local target kinder, I think deep inside I am for IS but I just didn't admit that.

發表於 15-4-2 01:21 |顯示全部帖子
imconfusing 發表於 15-4-1 17:34
from your comments in EK, I am sure you are an expert in HK international schools. and I do believe  ...
I am only learning from great people here on this site and others. At the end of the day I called for help from an education expert and she said "go with your gut feeling" and she was right. Sometimes we do over analyze the situation, but it is good that at least I see all perspectives and weighted the pros and cons before I make a choice.

I went through a similar experience upon my own University options. I had two equally attractive offers and asked God which (career choice) I should take. Surprising i found this quiet inner voice that told me it doesn't matter. Seven years down the line, I changed career, and it had nothing to do with the two options I had back then. Someone does see farther and longer down the road :)

Yup, just prepare well and do your best.
Serendipity.